Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Processor Superiority

jammertk10jammertk10 Member CommonPosts: 88

Fry's has an amazing deal on an i5-750 + Motherboard for 204.99 (Quad-core) but I was also looking at the i7-930. I can get one for $199 at a nearby microcenter and newegg has a Tom's hardware recommended motherboard for 169.99, so that would be 369.99. Is it worth the 170$ for the speed of the i7-930? I also would have to buy 3 sticks of ram... Any thoughts?

“The best government is a benevolent tyranny tempered by an occasional assassination.” - Voltaire
i5-750 OC'd to 4.0Ghz - PNY GTX 470 Performance Edition - Western Digital 2X2TB in RAID 0 - Samsung BD Drive - 4GB DDR3 2000Mhz - CM Storm Scout

Comments

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678

A not exactly a helpful post incoming:

I thought you'd have to be a fellow Ohioan, but apparently Microcenter is all over now.  Crazy.  I lived near the original store for years before they had any others.

Anyhow, I've always felt microcenter overcharged for hardware.  Hmm, that's a really good price though, looking at it online.  I am several years behind on my benchmark knowledge so I don't know if the price difference is worth it, but I'd imagine the i5's aren't all that great (if I had to guess based on previous low-end/high-end differences in intel products).

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897

Originally posted by jammertk10

Fry's has an amazing deal on an i5-750 + Motherboard for 204.99 (Quad-core) but I was also looking at the i7-930. I can get one for $199 at a nearby microcenter and newegg has a Tom's hardware recommended motherboard for 169.99, so that would be 369.99. Is it worth the 170$ for the speed of the i7-930? I also would have to buy 3 sticks of ram... Any thoughts?

without droning on into much detail, the i5 750 is your best bang for the buck cpu right now.  AMD fans will argue that the 965 black edition is, its just.. not

The i7's are over priced compared to what you can get from the i5 750 which is pretty much on par performance wise with the i7 940.

So if you're looking at a bargain, that i5 deal is a very good bargain (if you're getting a half decent motherboard with it).  Otherwise, if you're looking for longevity id say wait until the AMD X6 is more readily available.  It should be out tuesday, and I think amazon has it in stock already.  There havnt been any solid benchmarks, but logic says the 1055t 2.8 ghz should outperform the i5 750 and the i7 940 and only costs $222

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

I would just get the i5-750. Unless you have a really awesome GPU setup (2x 5870 or better) *and* are playing CPU intensive games there's not a lot of difference stepping up the CPU.

• SoludeSolude Member UncommonPosts: 691

AMD guy here... no i5 750 is much better buy than any AMD gear today... for MMOs.

• KryptyKrypty Member UncommonPosts: 454

if you overclock, get an i7 and get a decent board. I got an i7 920 and have it overclocked to 4GHz per core and LOVING it.

• SoludeSolude Member UncommonPosts: 691

i5 and i3 overclock as easy as the i7.  i3 530@4Ghz for peanuts... hard to beat.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

Originally posted by jammertk10

i 7 is dca ready make sure mobo and network card or onboard network is dca ready and you are in business!

dca=direct cache access!

this is mandatory on intel !its the sole reason i recommend intel instead of amd!