Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The 5890 will crush the 480

Mellow44Mellow44 Member Posts: 599

And it will be in the stores sometime during the summer.

All those memories will be lost in time, like tears in the rain.

Comments

• CatamountCatamount Member Posts: 773

Considering that the GTX480 has twice the power consumption of a 5870 (and beats a 5970 slightly as well), practically gets hotter than ignited thermite while running, and still barely manages to beat the 5870 in performance, only achieving enough of a gain to almost match the price difference, I'd say the 5870 already crushes the 480 in most respects :D

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678

How are AMD (are they still called ATI cards?) doing these days as far as linux compatibility?  I've always tended towards Nvidia since the linux drivers were so much better, but I haven't looked into it in a few years.  If the latest Radeons (or whatever they are called these days) also have really good linux drivers so I can dual boot in comfort, then I'll probably get one of them for my next machine.

• CatamountCatamount Member Posts: 773

Originally posted by Drachasor

How are AMD (are they still called ATI cards?) doing these days as far as linux compatibility?  I've always tended towards Nvidia since the linux drivers were so much better, but I haven't looked into it in a few years.  If the latest Radeons (or whatever they are called these days) also have really good linux drivers so I can dual boot in comfort, then I'll probably get one of them for my next machine.

When I last played around with Ubuntu a couple of years ago, I found no trouble with the Ati drivers, even when playing games in Wine.

I haven't seriously used linux in some years though, so I'm hardly an expert.

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

Supposedly the AMD linux support has improved a lot the last year, and nVidia discontinued their open source driver support (only proprietary driver now), so seems even footing now. But I'm no expert either, only use Ubuntu long enough to find out how annoying Wine is.