Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Potential new player; just had a few questions.

SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788

Well, I've been putting some thought into trying out Guild Wars since the 20 dollar Trilogy pack deal is going on at direct2drive, but I wanted to ask a few questions before I get it.

I'm a long time mmo player and although I'm playing (and enjoying) Fallen Earth right now, I've always been more of a Fantasy-themed player. I was hoping that Guild Wars could be that fix, and hopefully even more.

First of all, I was wondering how the game is, content wise? Is there a decent amount of stuff to do in the early and later levels? I'm not a  big "raider" type, so the more group/solo content, the better imo. I figured a game like this would be more catered to a smaller group content.

Also, I was wondering how active the pvp portion of the game is these days? I'm not a hardcore pvper by any means, but it's nice to have the option when the mood hits you. I'm guessing it's probably like an instanced-arena system or something along those lines? 

Lastly, I was hoping maybe one of you are part of, or know of, a fairly active and friendly guild to join? I know I'll probably be soloing for most of my time (at least at first), but it's still nice to see some guild chat once in awhile. My schedule is kind of weird, so I definitely wouldn't be able to hack it in one of the more "hardcore" guilds, so anything family-style and casual (or at least a guild that accepts people like that) would be perfect.

Thanks in advance for any information :).

Comments

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Hiya. First off I recommend playing the trial first. While I'm not a fan of the trial it does give you an idea of how the combat and other features are. It is quite a departure than what you are used to from mmo's.  Second, go to the wiki page; it has every kind of information you could want about it. Certainly more than I or anyone else could provide for you here.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Main_Page

Now for a quick  answer to two of your questions. 90% of the game is played at max level which is only level 20. Most mmos have you raid at end level. There are no raids here. There is some group content that can require up to 12 players but they can also be done with less (with controllable npcs added to your party). If you are wanting a game that focuses on gear progression than this probably wouldn't be the game for you. Gear is practically just cosmetic. There is a difference in the gear but you can get max gear at level one from a power perspective. It can be moded or enchanted if you are used to that term but again you could do that as a level one character if you really wanted to. So in essence gear hardly matters in this game.

The pvp in this game is almost all competitive arena style pvp. There are a few games that are sort of similar to battlegrounds from other games, Jade Quarry and Fort Aspenwood, but those are mission based games. The good news about this though is that you can make a pure pvp character from the first minute you've finished installing the game. It will be max level with all the gear in which you can mod to how you want. You can only use that character to pvp with however. Before you pvp though, I recommend playing some pve to get used to the controls, how the combat system works, and generally learn the game. The original prophecies campaign was really just a training ground for players before getting into pvp. The focus of the game has changed with the different campaigns and stuff but the fact remains that you should learn how to play in the less competitive pve environment first.

Hope that helps make your decision. Look over the wiki, play the trial, and make a choice from there.

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788

Thanks for the response :)

I definitely wouldn't mind trying the trial but I figured it probably had a lot of restrictions (I couldn't find anything about that). Would I be able to play a dervish in the trial? That's the class that seemed the most interesting to me. Also, would I be able to upgrade my trial account with the 20 dollars trilogy pack?

If I'd be able to do that, I'll definitely give give the trial a go first.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

If you buy the trilogy from Direct2Drive than no you wouldn't be able to upgrade the trail to that. Depending on your connection you can download the trial in about 15 minutes though. Also I don't think the Dervish is in the trial, only the 6 original classes I believe. The biggest thing about the trial is that it allows you to see the control and combat style. I will give you a heads up here, it's quite a bit different than mmo's you've played. And you can't jump, that seems to be an issue with a lot of people as silly as that is.

Originally posted by arenasb

If you buy the trilogy from Direct2Drive than no you wouldn't be able to upgrade the trail to that. Depending on your connection you can download the trial in about 15 minutes though. Also I don't think the Dervish is in the trial, only the 6 original classes I believe. The biggest thing about the trial is that it allows you to see the control and combat style. I will give you a heads up here, it's quite a bit different than mmo's you've played. And you can't jump, that seems to be an issue with a lot of people as silly as that is.

Ah ok, I was afraid of that.

I'm actually somewhat familiar with the combat system, so that shouldn't be a problem. I played the game very briefly back when it first came out, so I can kind of remember what it's like.

Btw, you said there were only 20 levels? I'm assuming it doesn't take much time to reach the level cap then?

Thanks again for the info :).

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by alacres

First of all, I was wondering how the game is, content wise?

GW has 3 large worlds and one expansion to one of them. It is huge.

Is there a decent amount of stuff to do in the early and later levels? I'm not a  big "raider" type, so the more group/solo content, the better imo. I figured a game like this would be more catered to a smaller group content.

Most of the content is for lvl 20. you get there fast anyways. GW has most content for solo or small groups. Quests can usually be soloed while missions is group instances.

Also, I was wondering how active the pvp portion of the game is these days? I'm not a hardcore pvper by any means, but it's nice to have the option when the mood hits you. I'm guessing it's probably like an instanced-arena system or something along those lines? 

Havn't played much lately but I would guess that somewhat over half the playerbase play some or a lot PvP, many of them just PvP.

Lastly, I was hoping maybe one of you are part of, or know of, a fairly active and friendly guild to join? I know I'll probably be soloing for most of my time (at least at first), but it's still nice to see some guild chat once in awhile. My schedule is kind of weird, so I definitely wouldn't be able to hack it in one of the more "hardcore" guilds, so anything family-style and casual (or at least a guild that accepts people like that) would be perfect.

Can't help you there, I don't play right now even if I am considering taking the game up again.

• CohasCohas Member UncommonPosts: 152

great game i have been playing for 5 years now and alot of the things i do is a lot of pvp and some endgame missions so there is a ot of things to do. hit me up if you are looking for a guild 

Have No Fear Cohas is here!!!

Edit: ignore this post. I was having a hard time finding the trial, but I got it now.

Thanks for all the info guys :)