Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

STO Great Game why persons hate on so much?

CzechGuyCzechGuy Member Posts: 86

I ben playing Star Trek Online alot and i think its lots of fun. I have always ben star trek fan and watched TNG most and thinks itrs best of the star treks. This game is fun and lots of times i can just log on for short times and still do stuff and not taking to much time like other MMO's which want to much time to do. Also combat is much more active and persons need true skill and smart to defeat things and not just auto attack like other mmo's

I notice much hate though on forums and i quit threads and persons crying how bad it is. I think these persons just dont get the game. Its a good game and if persons can not see this then they are wrong and possible ideots.

Anyway just my cents and i hope persons give this a fair shot cause its cool game and i recommend 9/10.

Comments

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Originally posted by CzechGuy

I notice much hate though on forums and i quit threads and persons crying how bad it is. I think these persons just dont get the game. Its a good game and if persons can not see this then they are wrong and possible ideots.

Different people like different things.

It does not make someone an idiot or wrong in any way just because they dislike something that you like.

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

Im glad you like it. I however.. hate this game.  I played to rear admiral 2 and then just stopped playing.

Just because one has a negative review/opinion of STO, does not necessarily mean they dont "get" the game.  It simply means that they hate it.  Nor are they idiots.  They simply have had a different expierence than you. 

• BetabooBetaboo Member Posts: 384

I have already been told by the Devs i dont "get it" already but thanks for telling me again i had almost forgotten and was ready to move on.

Pffffttttttt on craptic.

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

I'm a huge Star Trek fan too, my favourite series is Deep Space Nine (check out the Futurama rendering of DS9 in my avatar before Professor Farnsworth blew it up with the Planet Express Ship's "high beams.")

But I have played many, many MMOs, I know what MMOs are capable of and what a development team can accomplish in a really good MMO, and I know that STO is a horrible MMO that lacks many of the features that MMOs made over 5 years ago have.

As an MMO fan, I know that STO is not a good MMO. As a Star Trek fan, I know that the dev team failed to capture anything resembling the spirit of Star Trek in their game. Sound effects and visuals taken from Star Trek do not make a Star Trek game.

• Aki_RossAki_Ross Member Posts: 166

I don't hate the game, I'm just very disappointed in it.  image

I'm also disappointed in the way that Cryptic as implemented it. I know they could have built a lot better game, if they had have taken the time and effort. From inception to birth it only took about a two years, whereby most MMORPG's spend at least four years in development and then another year alpha and beta testing.

And for the record, I'm also a Star Trek fan and I've said this before on these forums, it's not true Trek, it's Trek likeimage

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

I like Star Trek lore and series/movies, but I must confess... this game bored me after one month. It's the nature of MMOs themed after some IP.

Everything but Crystalline Entity is solo.. EVERYTHING. You don't need help from anyone so no one makes groups.

The ground missions are slow and you don't even need your away team. You really could just shoot most of the ground mobs dead by yourself and using your team, you just command them to focus fire one mob at a time down and its nothing.

The space combat is fun but it gets old after 30 days. All the planet missions for space combat are just rehashes for repeats. The campaign is good and interesting but you go through it too fast. I have no idea why anyone would want to make more than one type of ship class because all the beginning quests are so dry.

The auction house is a piece of garbage just like Champions Online. In fact, it's the VERY SAME auction house FROM Champions Online. They didn't try to disguise it one bit or improve it in any way. You still have to do crazy things to search for objects and when you find some, whole screens roll up and you must type specific things to find anything. It's slow and cumbersome and that's being nice.

I guess I'll say what everyone has said about mostly every MMO made in the last couple years.. "STO had potential" and leave it at that.

But great game? Not even close.

• GrrlGrrl Member UncommonPosts: 354

I was hoping I'd get into it.. but I didn't. SWG had more content compared to STO.

It was just... empty. Nothing much in the game. Sad.

• gandalesgandales Member UncommonPosts: 472

Originally posted by CzechGuy

I ben playing Star Trek Online alot and i think its lots of fun. I have always ben star trek fan and watched TNG most and thinks itrs best of the star treks. This game is fun and lots of times i can just log on for short times and still do stuff and not taking to much time like other MMO's which want to much time to do. Also combat is much more active and persons need true skill and smart to defeat things and not just auto attack like other mmo's

Anyway just my cents and i hope persons give this a fair shot cause its cool game and i recommend 9/10.

Liking or not liking STO or any game of that matter doesn't make anybody an idiot. I found many people which really like it, other that hate it. From my browsing on this forum I found that strong mmo players hate it while casual or new players like it. The other thing is that many people had their own expectations about the game some higher than others and there were big dissapointments.

• ChuckanarChuckanar Member UncommonPosts: 210

It is just to shallow of content. I was hoping for more than just grind content. i was hoping for alot less instances and a more immersive world/universe. A place to fight when I had to, not fight for everything. The lack of some factors is why I think the game shallow. Just my opinion.

Not sure why people have to whine over and over again about it either tho. If they dont like it just dont play and post one comment or thread of why the game didnt meet their expectations and get over it. To many drama queens on the internet.

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678

It's a widely marketed Star Trek MMO that just came out and it is at best doing 100k subs.  The game IS crap.  The market has spoken.

It isn't hard to figure out why a game with such shallow gameplay is crap either.  It certainly isn't worth the monthly fee.