Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Evil characters can be as powerful as good characters?

I have heard you can pick an evil character, but i also heard that character is weak and can be easily defeated by good characters, i am wondering if an evil character can also improve in power and be as powerful as good characters

Blade with whom i have lived, blade with whom I now die. Serve right and justice one last time. Seek one last heart of evil. Still one last life of pain. Cut well old friend. Then farewell!

Comments

• misfitzx138misfitzx138 Member UncommonPosts: 5

evil character? in LOTRO you play a FREEP (elf/human/dwarf) in different classes. The orcs/wargs/spiders are playable, but only in Monster Play sessions. A monster play session is completly different from regular gameplay. As a monster player (CREEP) you start out at level cap in the Ettenmoors (an area where you PvMP). As a CREEP, you only play in the ettenmoors to defeat the FREEPS. It is end-game content for the FREEP side.

Some people I know only play creeps.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Lotro is more a cooperative pve game, so evil characters are pretty much out... the idea is that you follow the quests/storyline etc, in monster play your in a 'restricted' area as far as i know... and is not really the games focus.

• neonwireneonwire Member Posts: 1,787

Originally posted by gurthgor

I have heard you can pick an evil character, but i also heard that character is weak and can be easily defeated by good characters, i am wondering if an evil character can also improve in power and be as powerful as good characters

That sounds far too interesting for LOTRO

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

What you've described is the Monster Play Pvp set up.  In the regular PvE game you'll always be a member of the Free People (good guys).  Once you hit level 10?20? (can't remember) it will open up the option to create a Pvp Monster for the Entemoor Pvp play area (or you can take your current Free  People guy there).  If you do create a monster it will start out at level cap but they add another level behind that so your monster could be level 65 / stage 1 which is actually a very weak toon.  As you play and win / get XP your monster will go through the different stages 2, 3, etc.... and get stronger. I believe they're color coded so you might hear calls for LFG reds only or stuff like that.

I'd say the edge would always go to the Free People toon just because of the greater range of feats / skills / abilities.  Now if you throw in the players ability than yes a monster toon can be as powerful as a free people toon.  It's the same as in any Pvp environment.  A crappy level cap player can be beaten by a skilled lower level player.

Remember in the LotR lore monsters really are only there to be beaten by the good guys and alot of the game rules reflect that.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• gurthgorgurthgor Member Posts: 279

Originally posted by Nebless

What you've described is the Monster Play Pvp set up.  In the regular PvE game you'll always be a member of the Free People (good guys).  Once you hit level 10?20? (can't remember) it will open up the option to create a Pvp Monster for the Entemoor Pvp play area (or you can take your current Free  People guy there).  If you do create a monster it will start out at level cap but they add another level behind that so your monster could be level 65 / stage 1 which is actually a very weak toon.  As you play and win / get XP your monster will go through the different stages 2, 3, etc.... and get stronger. I believe they're color coded so you might hear calls for LFG reds only or stuff like that.
    I'd say the edge would always go to the Free People toon just because of the greater range of feats / skills / abilities.  Now if you throw in the players ability than yes a monster toon can be as powerful as a free people toon.  It's the same as in any Pvp environment.  A crappy level cap player can be beaten by a skilled lower level player.
    Remember in the LotR lore monsters really are only there to be beaten by the good guys and alot of the game rules reflect that.

Then a good char with the best equip, skilled and max lvl will defeat an evil char with best equip, skilled and max lvl

Blade with whom i have lived, blade with whom I now die. Serve right and justice one last time. Seek one last heart of evil. Still one last life of pain. Cut well old friend. Then farewell!

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

In keeping with the lore and how the Tolkien Estate wanted JRRT's works protrayed,  I'd say yes as long as both controlling players were equally skilled and matched, hitting the same attack buttons in a 1 for 1 trade.

This is one of those cases where the player matters and I'll give you a great example. 

I play Wild West Online: Gunfighter.  It's just a browser based 3rd person western shoot out game; you vs another player.  So I'm a late 40's guy with a lvl 3 toon, 60 or so fights behind me, tricked out fairly well.  I play my 10 yr old son who's got a lvl 1 stock toon and maybe 4 fights behind him. 

Now this isn't a twitch based game but more like chess, it's about your pre-draw moves, setting up the fight (and really winning it) prior to even pulling the trigger.  Well my son ends up winning the fight.  Killed me dead.  Turns out all my careful planning, taking past fights knowledge and game play into account, meant nothing ........ to his random button pushing.

Someone famous once said he never feared a fight against a skilled opponet as he knew what to expect ...... but fighting an amature scared the heck out of him cuz there was no way to know what to expect.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014

Originally posted by Nebless

Then a good char with the best equip, skilled and max lvl will defeat an evil char with best equip, skilled and max lvl

I don't know about that. What you should do is to ask on the pvp (or whatever the equivalent is) forum at LOTRO.com.

My sense is that once they are both high enough it comes down to the player. At least from what I've read.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • levsixlevsix Member UncommonPosts: 363

I have spent a lot of time in the Ettenmoors as a creep (monster player). You absolutely can be strong enough to take on a FREEP (dwarf/elf/human/hobbit) but it takes a time investment.

As someone else mentioned, you start off at max level as a creep but you earn ranks. The higher your rank, the more abilities you can earn. You earn these things by acquiring stones that are redeemed for traits (passive traits that boost resistances/damage output etc). You also earn infamy (same thing as experience, but it is earned for killing other players). Infamy makes you higher rank. Destiny points are like XP but are earned by completing quests. They are the currency for purchasing new skills.

So, for example, on my warg, when I hit rank 4 by accruing infamy, I spent destiny points on new abilities.

It is quite repetitive at times but it is nice for breaking up time spent in the PvE side of the game.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. My monster tribe (guild) plays on Meneldor. Send me a PM if you decide to check it out.

Have a winner and don't go on a game over! Does your avatar make you powerful in real life? Check out the Mystical Enders gaming community. www.mysticalenders.com