Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

... after all this time..

WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

So I've seen a couple examples of something that I thought by now would have subsided in FFXI.

That is, the notion some people have in Campaign that if they pull a mob off to the side, it becomes "theirs", and "you" are "not allowed" to hit it.

Just had this the other night, with someone I've known in-game for a while even.

Campaign Battle going on.. mobs are running low, so people start looking for others to hunt. Naturally, the "lone wolves" like to pull them off to the side somewhere... I happen to come upon a few people running down the hill at the backside of the fort in Rolanberry (behind that white boney conduit thing that connects the crags) to find someone I know down there soloing a Quadav.

I wave to him as I begin attacking. He sends me a tell basically complaining that "we" were attacking "his" mob. I said "you know it doesnt' work that way, you can't claim mobs as your own in Campaign". He says "Yes I can, I've been doing it all morning". I replied, "Fine, but you can't complain when others attack it. It's a free-for-all". He says "People need to find their own and stop attacking mind. That's why I pulled it over here. I need my xp's". I said "Well, that's a pretty silly expectation to have in Campaign. Nothing is "claimed" by one person"

Another time after that, two people were grabbing a mob as a duo and when someone else would attack it, they would disengage and run off, leaving the other person to fight it... a few times, leaving the other person to die. Not a very smart long-term tactic, since once it killed its current victim it woudl just come after them again anyway... but again.. a dick move, nonetheless.

Yet another time, a person complained that, again, I was "attacking his mob", and he was tired of people "taking advantage" of his "hard work" at pulling them.  That they were only attacking his because they suck too much to fight one themself. I said "No, they're attacking it because that's the point of Campaign. It's a large group of players against a large group of invading or defending mobs, depending on the circumstances. He says "Says who?" I said "Umm.. SE?" He goes "Where do they say that?" I said "By the fact that anyone can attack any campaign mob during campaign and no one person has "claim" to it." He says "whatever... other players just suck".

Another person attempted to kite it, dragging it up on top of that white conduit in Rolanberry, running it around... trying their damndest to keep other players - namely melee - from attacking it, shouting "STOP HITTING MY MOB!" in say...

Of course, for me, someone bitching at me for doing what I'm *supposed* to be doing, because it doesn't fit with their personal agenda makes me do it all the more. A bit of my spiteful side comes out and I'll deliberately keep attacking it, as well as shout the position from time to time so others can come and join in. Why? To prove a point - that the mob this person has claimed as "theirs" is, in fact, not, and so others can join in and get more xp as well... which is what Campaign is all about.

So... This isn't so much a rant as it is a sort of observation. I'd just like to end this post with sort of a PSA:

If any of the above examples resembles you, or your mentality in campaign, in any way.... If you want to try and solo a campaign mob... by all means.. have at it. But, understand that when others come over and attack it... they are not "stealing your xp', or "attacking your mob", they are playing Campaign the way it's intended to be.

After all this time that Campaign has existed, it amazes me that people still have this expectation that they can claim a mob as "theirs" and argue it as though they're right and everyone else is wrong. Entitlement at its finest... or worst... depending on your perspective.

Thank you, and enjoy the funnel cakes.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
- Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

Comments

• SatimasuSatimasu Member UncommonPosts: 900

Right on target. Have these people even played Campaign at all? Just saying. I hate when people try to drag a mob half way across the map to a hidden spot so no one can find them while they drag on the Campaign when all the other mobs are dead. That gets old real quick.

To be the best, you must help each other become the best.
    FFXI Character: Satimasu
    FFXI Server: Valefor
    FFXIV Character: Tamorae Fonteil

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Ya i don't remember anyone actually telling me so,but i do get the impression some people are mad when i join in,because i have seen them immediately leave and get another mob to fight.I would just ignore them anyhow,i might say something if they keep sending me tells .

Campaign is real badly setup,i think this is why so many get a little hot.Why so many of the fights have no mobs at all is ridiculous,and doing 5 of these non mob fortification his has yield a total of 200 xp and notes.Then when there is mobs,it seems there is so many people rushing in all the mobs are dead rather quickly,so nobody is getting much of a reward.It would be more realistic if the mobs actually showed up to defend their fortification when we attack,does Sqaure actually think we find it fun to whack away at the words fortification?

I think Square should give the mobs at least more HP,that wouldn't change much really,except i think total xp is based off of damage done or healing done.

The last 10 Campaign i did only 2 offered around 1-1.5k the rest were all around or under 100 which is a total waste of time.I went from mob to mob and was lucky to get 3 hits per mob and they were dead,we need a little more fun added to this idea.it seemed a lot more fun in the beginning.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.