Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New info on 40k MMO?

Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

Here is the info, was originally posted by Vegetta back in February

If this is real i am seriously disappointed.  Only 1 or 2 planets?  I don't care how big the planets are (though 20 something zones seems large) I'd rather see a series of planets at release.

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
-Solid non level based game
-Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

Comments

• HarabeckHarabeck Member Posts: 616

Originally posted by Death1942

Here is the info

If this is real i am seriously disappointed.  Only 1 or 2 planets?  I don't care how big the planets are (though 20 something zones seems large) I'd rather see a series of planets at release.

The zones are the only important number to me. Would you really be happier if they took the exact zones they have now and put them on 5 different planets? That just doesn't make sense.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Wow wow, that's a pretty nice amount of information there for a game we basically know nothing about. E3 is gonna be crazy.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

Originally posted by Harabeck

Here is the info

The zones are the only important number to me. Would you really be happier if they took the exact zones they have now and put them on 5 different planets? That just doesn't make sense.

provided that they had decent lore behind each of the planets and that each planet was 1 race vs another race then yes, i would be happy.

I've always wanted to fight Tyrannids in a jungle planet as the Impirial Guard

I've always wanted to fight Orcs in the rubble of a city as a Space Marine

I've always wanted to Blast holes in Necrons on some desolate world as the Eldar.

Give me that and the game would be epic.  That being said if they really do these zones well and introduce new planets later then i will be happy with their approach

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds

• killer092005killer092005 Member UncommonPosts: 26

I knew there was going to be another Dawn of War 2 Expansion!

Anyways, This game sounds pretty epic. But, what I want to know is the most important question in Warhammer is this: Will it be a free for all with all the factions against another? Cause Thats what its mainly about, there were no sides in this war. If they have it with factions allied with one another, its over. But, I can somehow see them paring Space Marine and eldar against Orks and Chaos marines. If this happens, they better explain why they joined forces!

Rant Over.

• slashbeastslashbeast Member Posts: 533

This info on the game has me very sexually aroused.

• AngorimAngorim Member Posts: 466

Originally posted by killer092005

Anyways, This game sounds pretty epic. But, what I want to know is the most important question in Warhammer is this: Will it be a free for all with all the factions against another? Cause Thats what its mainly about, there were no sides in this war. If they have it with factions allied with one another, its over. But, I can somehow see them paring Space Marine and eldar against Orks and Chaos marines. If this happens, they better explain why they joined forces!

Rant Over.

Two factions will kill all interest I have in this game (and after that info I'm very interested).  I hope they have enough sense to see the draw backs of two faction PvP and go with the 4 sided free-for-all with the listed races.

• ptifouptifou Member UncommonPosts: 31

Originally posted by Angorim

Rant Over.

Two factions will kill all interest I have in this game (and after that info I'm very interested).  I hope they have enough sense to see the draw backs of two faction PvP and go with the 4 sided free-for-all with the listed races.

I really hope so too...

But, in an other hand, I can't stop wondering wether there would have enough players in each factions to group at any time ?

Ppl will want to fight tytys => even less players for pvp

• describabledescribable Member UncommonPosts: 407

Originally posted by ptifou

Originally posted by Angorim

Rant Over.

I really hope so too...

But, in an other hand, I can't stop wondering wether there would have enough players in each factions to group at any time ?

Ppl will want to fight tytys => even less players for pvp

i'm guessing focussing on one quadrant would be a bit better, most likely ultra marines (yeah okay i hear boos from the blood angels et al) but remember most of the space marine chapters are made up from that gene stock (bar the almost heretical space wolves, dark angels and blood angels).

focusing on that particular sector would mean they could expand the universe as they see fit with new and dangerous foes - remember most of which we don't actually see, for example at least 6 full chapters of spacemarines are at the northern edge keeping out some of the more powerful foes they've faced - simply because the imperium do not want the tyranids getting hold of that gene stock.

i also doubt tyranids would be playable - it'd be stupid beyond all reason given what the tyranids are. I also doubt it'll be much quest driven.. and much more focused on PvP (doing a better job than WAR did), i also hope it's more skill based rather than level based.

It's my favourite setting and one i know a lot about, which as a gamer gives me a feeling of dread and anticipation all in one... i'm actually an eldar/tau player (my eldar almost unbeaten) with a small 2000 pt imperial guard army (they never win, but they are a lot of fun).

Hopefully E3 shows us some goodstuff, and THQ get more investors into the game letting the developers take their time. i'll gladly wait for a polished 40k universe.

"nothing actually matters, we're just slightly evolved monkeys clinging to a dying piece of rock hurtling through space waiting for our eventual death." - Frankie Boyle, Mock The Week

• VegettaVegetta Member Posts: 438

Here is the info

I posted this back in Feb. http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/3408452#3408452 THo it was in a BLizzard and Warhammer 40k thread....

I don't know what to think yet apart from the fact that 40K rocks.

/waits for E3

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

Originally posted by Vegetta

Here is the info

I posted this back in Feb. http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/3408452#3408452 THo it was in a BLizzard and Warhammer 40k thread....

/waits for E3

Sorry, i'l edit my post to mention your old thread.

Anyone know when E3 is?

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

"...Gorgutz ‘Ead ‘Unter as Ork Warlord... will make a final appearance in the second DoW2 expansion..."

Another DoW2 expansion? Great!

Oh, wait. This is about the WAR40k MMO. Sounds good to me. I don't care if there's two planets or twenty, as long as the world feels large enough and the gameplay is fun.

• KilorTheMeekKilorTheMeek Member Posts: 260

Please tell me all the playable factions are at war with eachother.   Don't ally Orks w/ Chaos  or Empiruim w/ Eldar... let's have a 4-way RvR combat with that 5th PvE faction... that would make for some awesome open world PvP!

Guess we'll hafta wait and see but if they can deliver that along with what they're teasing in this release I'm excited.

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.
  • vladakovvladakov Member Posts: 710

I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REA

LLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY

REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY 

hope that i can be Necron!, but probably won´t :(, ever :(

ah well, Eldar awaits :O

Some would argue that W40k MMO is conceptually doomed to fail from the get-go just like WAR was, at least if they adhere to IP. Why? Because there's literary nothing to do (unless GW gives the developers pretty large creative freedom in making shit up) besides doing war with one another... after all, In The Grim, Dark Future, There Is Only War. There isn't really much of a potential to create a true virtual world in W40k by today MMO standards when your main and only focus is to be combat.

Dunno.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622

Originally posted by Methos12

Some would argue that W40k MMO is conceptually doomed to fail from the get-go just like WAR was, at least if they adhere to IP. Why? Because there's literary nothing to do (unless GW gives the developers pretty large creative freedom in making shit up) besides doing war with one another... after all, In The Grim, Dark Future, There Is Only War. There isn't really much of a potential to create a true virtual world in W40k by today MMO standards when your main and only focus is to be combat.

Dunno.

I dont know I think theres a lot more than just war. If you read the inquistor books, theres tons of sublety and many interesting locations. And who knows maybe there will be factions like: the imperial guard, different inquistor factions or races. One thing I think should be a definite is NO ULTRAMARINE toons. Their too powerful imo. Make them integral parts of the story but not toons. Just my 2c.

• pojungpojung Member Posts: 810

Dunno.

1. In what AAA title does the community at large have the ability to 'create' a 'true virtual world'?

2. EVE is nigh all about combat... they, along with FFXI (FF after their initial post-launch slump) boast nothing but growing numbers since their releases. The only AAA MMORPGs to claim this.

3. The measure of success will depend largely on the consumer based... which, considering the IP, will be at least initially (read: STO) successful. Retention will obviously depend on how true to form the game is, and how engaging as well. Based on Vigil's Darksider's release (best action game of the year? definitely on the podium), and the fact that this title has been hush-hush in development for years now, bodes well for what one could assume holds a quality gaming experience.

That is exactly right, and we're not saying NO to save WoW, because it is already a lost cause. We are saying NO to dissuade the next group of greedy suits who decide to emulate Blizzard and Cryptic, etc.
    We can prevent some of the future games from spewing this crap, but the sooner we start saying no, the better the results will be.
    So - Stand up, pull up your pants, and walk away.
    - MMO_Doubter

Originally posted by pojung

Dunno.

1. In what AAA title does the community at large have the ability to 'create' a 'true virtual world'?

2. EVE is nigh all about combat... they, along with FFXI (FF after their initial post-launch slump) boast nothing but growing numbers since their releases. The only AAA MMORPGs to claim this.

3. The measure of success will depend largely on the consumer based... which, considering the IP, will be at least initially (read: STO) successful. Retention will obviously depend on how true to form the game is, and how engaging as well. Based on Vigil's Darksider's release (best action game of the year? definitely on the podium), and the fact that this title has been hush-hush in development for years now, bodes well for what one could assume holds a quality gaming experience.

1. Poor wording on my part, didn't real mean "true virtual world" in a sense that it's a sandbox world where players decided everything, more like that there's something more to do besides fighting the enemy. For example, can you imagine traditional crafting/harvesting (I don't know, acquiring biological samples, scraps of metal to forge into gear, etc) in a W40k MMO? Maybe it's just me, but I sure can't.

2. What? Did you miss the whole industry, crafting and politics thing in EVE? Yes, fleet battles determine things on a grander scale, but there's nothing stopping players from playing the game entirely focused on industry, for example. FF11 is arguably a better example, but there's still stuff to do other than fight versus another faction (you can see how this went wrong in WAR - basically, everything beside RvR feels tacked on, especially crafting).

3. Agreed.

What I'm trying to say is that W40k MMO may turn into something along the lines of Global Agenda, more so than into a "proper" MMO title. The IP just doesn't lend itself to such creative freedoms, not unless you want to keep things interesting and action-ish enough for the audience (the poster above also mentioned Inqusition with it's subtlety, but it all ultimately comes down to "kill something" in an MMO... you cannot really transfer that well what Inquisitiors do into an MMO). I mean, sure, you could play as a servitor who works on assembling stuff 24/7... but would that be interesting?

• VegettaVegetta Member Posts: 438

Originally posted by Vegetta

Here is the info

/waits for E3

Sorry, i'l edit my post to mention your old thread.
    Anyone know when E3 is?

hehe no worries Threads get buried quickly here

E3 is June 15 - 17