Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

STO & Google ?

FelconianFelconian Member Posts: 103

Well just another chunk of chitter to chat about....!

Take a look at the intrest ....in STO from a fresh perspective.... Google! It shows a massive drop off in intrest in STO ...!

http://www.google.com/trends?q=Star+Trek+Online&ctab=0&geo=all&date=ytd&sort=0

Enjoy ...

Comments are always welcome from the LEFT ..& the Right .... but not the Wrong ..!

Comments

• raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

cant speak for others but i know watch the sto forums and related stuff to see how bad things have gotten. cryptic keeps surprising me with how unproffessional and inept they are. its usually worth a chuckle when i see something new from them, even when its postive news from cryptic staff (then its usually about 20 mins till someone starts calling them liars)

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

• TheHellfireTheHellfire Member Posts: 67

Have you posted this for the CDF to see?

• championsFanchampionsFan Member Posts: 419

The only major MMO I know of that doesn't have a hype curve like that is EVE.    Take a look at Aion, for example, or use something like Quantcast to go further back and look at WAR or AoC.   They all peak sharply at launch and then drop off.

Seriously, what is the point.  Ripping on STO is like hanging out in the starter zone of a FFA PvP game and ganking noobs, it's too easy.  I don't get what makes it fun, no one even tries to defend STO, even the fans mostly talk about stuff that is supposed to come in the future, they don't enjoy the game right now either.  

Cryptic is trying a Customer Development approach to MMO creation.

• Die_ScreamDie_Scream Member Posts: 1,785

Originally posted by championsFan

The only major MMO I know of that doesn't have a hype curve like that is EVE.    Take a look at Aion, for example, or use something like Quantcast to go further back and look at WAR or AoC.   They all peak sharply at launch and then drop off.

Seriously, what is the point.  Ripping on STO is like hanging out in the starter zone of a FFA PvP game and ganking noobs, it's too easy.  I don't get what makes it fun, no one even tries to defend STO, even the fans mostly talk about stuff that is supposed to come in the future, they don't enjoy the game right now either.  

Ripping on STO isn't "fun" to me.  It is what it is.

This is a forum to discuss the game. Discussion is fun sometimes, specifically discussing how bad STO turned out is not a kick. It's just discussing how bad the game is.

I wish we could all be virtual high fiving eachother about that awesome time we had last night negotiating peace between warring factions, uncovering a sabotage to the talks, and the exciting ensuing battle which forever altered the history one of the civilizations because the prime directive barred us from doing what we felt was moral.

Somehow discussing the "kill 5 X mobs" just doesn't compare.

• FelconianFelconian Member Posts: 103

Originally posted by TheHellfire

Have you posted this for the CDF to see?

Yep ..I got it fromt he main forums before the thread was deleted ....

They cant exectly defend this so i think they are staying clear... also this shows the trend is a general one for this game ...down!

Defenders....of STO ..i would love to here your justification for this...?

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

City of Heroes has better stats than STO, but that doesn't matter.

I think you're completely right when you say that current STO players have to constantly look to the future because the game is hardly worth playing now.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

WAR and AOC are universally known as niche games that suffered mainly from bad launches much like STO did, I think it would have fit your point much more to have been able to show the same thing with a game like WOW,LOTRO or maybe even one or two of the Everquests but STO has far too much in common with AOC and WAR, all of them had horrible launches and all of them will ultimately serve only a small niche and will never reach the potential some feel they could have (and in defense of WAR and AOC atleast they aren't using the Star Trek Ip with these results....)

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
  • FelconianFelconian Member Posts: 103

Originally posted by Gdemami

Enjoy some more of a natural curves.

World Of Pirates

City of Heroes

The Matrix Online

City of Villians

Vanguard of Heroes

Pirates of the Burning Sea

Lord of the Rings Online

Your perspective is many but fresh.

Thanks for that information ....

All these games have the same pattern but they exist over a year..... it looks like STO has achieved this pattern in about 1-2 months ...!

Great Post ..!

Originally posted by Felconian
    All these games have the same pattern but they exist over a year..... it looks like STO has achieved this pattern in about 1-2 months ...!
    Great Post ..!

If you could only read the graphs or even use the filters...

The pattern is exactly the same. Spike slightly before launch and drop in couple months/weeks.

• BetabooBetaboo Member Posts: 384

World Of Pirates

City of Heroes

The Matrix Online

City of Villians

Vanguard of Heroes

Lord of the Rings Online

Great Post ..!

From major IP to Irrelevant in 3 months.

Move along SOE you have been replaced.

I never thought i would see another SOE type debacle with a major IP but here it is folks for all to see.

Originally posted by Betaboo
    I never thought i would see another SOE type debacle with a major IP but here it is
    folks for all to see.

No. This pattern is just natural. Only phenomenon is EVE Online and WoW.

EVE Online shows very steady interest trend over the years.

WoW curve does not show such a clear spike but it is still declining but slowly due to massive subscriber base.

Those graphs wonderfully demonstrates how common and natural are high initial sales followed by more or less massive drop in subscriber numbers.

We will see more and higher of those spikes because the buy force grows hand in hand with the MMO market.

I never thought i would see another SOE type debacle with a major IP but here it is

folks for all to see.

No. This pattern is just natural. Only phenomenon is EVE Online and WoW.

EVE Online shows very steady interest trend over the years.

WoW curve does not show such a clear spike but it is still declining but slowly due to massive subscriber base.

Those graphs wonderfully demonstrates how common and natural are high initial sales followed by more or less massive drop in subscriber numbers.

We will see more and higher of those spikes because the buy force grows hand in hand with the MMO market.

Was not talking about the graphs i agree with you on them they are a poor indication of anything other than the lead up and first month of an MMO or any other game for that matter. I was talking about the game itself and cryptic in general.

They had a major IP to work with and they blew it by rushing out a shoddy bug ridden product with not enough content to last a month.

They blew it plain and simple and i hope they go out of buisness reletavily quickly so another studio has a chance to fix and build this into the major IP it belongs to be.

Craptic is just inept and not up to the task at hand.

Just my 2 cents

• GreatGatsbyGreatGatsby Member UncommonPosts: 19

World Of Pirates

City of Heroes

The Matrix Online

City of Villians

Vanguard of Heroes

Lord of the Rings Online

Great Post ..!

I never thought i would see another SOE type debacle with a major IP but here it is folks for all to see.

Wow ..true its a big quick drop ..at least the other's took some time ...! ...what is SOE ?

Was not talking about the graphs i agree with you on them they are a poor indication of anything other than the lead up and first month of an MMO or any other game for that matter. I was talking about the game itself and cryptic in general.
    They had a major IP to work with and they blew it by rushing out a shoddy bug ridden product with not enough content to last a month.
    They blew it plain and simple and i hope they go out of buisness reletavily quickly so another studio has a chance to fix and build this into the major IP it belongs to be.
    Just my 2 cents

I know.
    With no offense intended, your arguments are not reasonable. I think you got your personal beef on what ST MMO should look like, regardless the fact Cryptic was never wanting to achieve the game you expect and find 'worthy' the IP.
    But we already discuss this ;-)

However, what I tried to point out, that they did not screw the IP, the graph would most likely look the same even if the game was incarnation of all your most secret wishes for STO :)

But yeah, this is not about graphs, I got it ;-)

Just my 2 cents

I know.

With no offense intended, your arguments are not reasonable. I think you got your personal beef on what ST MMO should look like, regardless the fact Cryptic was never wanting to achieve the game you expect and find 'worthy' the IP.

However, what I tried to point out, that they did not screw the IP, the graph would most likely look the same even if the game was incarnation of all your most secret wishes for STO :)

No offense taken and i said nothing about arguments being resonablle. it is my opinion and nothing more and you will never see me projecting it as anything other than opinion until i have verifiable numbers to back them up.

And you are right i did not find them worthy of what i expected of the IP--Why do you think my opinion is so negative? I am not here to espouse on how well they run their company i am here expressing my dissatisifaction of my experience of the game play.

And here is my opinion intruding again but i disagree about screwing the IP i belive they screwed it very much and from the looks of things alot of other people agree with my opinion.

And i agree the graph would look the same unless it became a runaway hit in the first month like wow did and since we both know that it did not the graph became irrevelant 30 days after the game came out.

• gandalesgandales Member UncommonPosts: 472

Just my 2 cents

I know.

No offense taken and i said nothing about arguments being resonablle. it is my opinion and nothing more and you will never see me projecting it as anything other than opinion until i have verifiable numbers to back them up.

And you are right i did not find them worthy of what i expected of the IP--Why do you think my opinion is so negative? I am not here to espouse on how well they run their company i am here expressing my dissatisifaction of my experience of the game play.

And here is my opinion intruding again but i disagree about screwing the IP i belive they screwed it very much and from the looks of things alot of other people agree with my opinion.

And i agree the graph would look the same unless it became a runaway hit in the first month like wow did and since we both know that it did not the graph became irrevelant 30 days after the game came out.

That's the main issue I have been seeing in the forums. You can argue the wrongs and the lacks of rights, but basically most of the recent threads are basically about "oh! I got the proof that everything is falling down, let's rejoice". But these graphics as it has been pointed out doesn't show anything devastating in terms of mmos, even considering star trek as ip that I have the feeling that it has been overrated for its power of attraction. 

Ok, I get it, at least the sto displeased people are passionate and feel deceived. However, I have to ask, is it the purpose to rant from now until the game closed? that even in worst case scenario is several months in the future.

Originally posted by gandales

Just my 2 cents

I know.

That's the main issue I have been seeing in the forums. You can argue the wrongs and the lacks of rights, but basically most of the recent threads are basically about "oh! I got the proof that everything is falling down, let's rejoice". But these graphics as it has been pointed out doesn't show anything devastating in terms of mmos, even considering star trek as ip that I have the feeling that it has been overrated for its power of attraction. 

Ok, I get it, at least the sto displeased people are passionate and feel deceived. However, I have to ask, is it the purpose to rant from now until the game closed? that even in worst case scenario is several months in the future.

Not going to argue with you or anybody else about the graphs because i agree with you they are meaningless at best .

As far as the ip the feeling that it is overrated in its power of attraction is and can be nothing more than opinion from any side until CBS/Craptic/Atari open up their books and show us any data they have from polls and focus groups so skewed opinions from both sides. I belive it could have been a killer IP and it looks like you dont think so but thats ok it is just opinion from both of us.

As far as ranting this is a funny one because i look at your posts as ranting and you look at mine as ranting so where does that leave us?<--- it leaves us with differing opinions nothing more nothing less.

Not going to argue with you or anybody else about the graphs because i agree with you they are meaningless at best .
    As far as the ip the feeling that it is overrated in its power of attraction is and can be nothing more than opinion from any side until CBS/Craptic/Atari open up their books and show us any data they have from polls and focus groups so skewed opinions from both sides. I belive it could have been a killer IP and it looks like you dont think so but thats ok it is just opinion from both of us.
    As far as ranting this is a funny one because i look at your posts as ranting and you look at mine as ranting so where does that leave us?<--- it leaves us with differing opinions nothing more nothing less.

This might deserve new topic but now you are high-jacking the thread and I am very curious with what Felconian comes up with after he checks the graphs more closely, especially considering it was him who brought those data up :-D

• gandalesgandales Member UncommonPosts: 472

Just my 2 cents

I know.

Maybe you are right, in some way I am ranting about people ranting, but it is not the ranting itself that I find curious, it is the apparent intended length. 

About the ip, I remember from experience in videogames (which is not extremely extense) that some video games arrives with a curse, for me were anime and star trek based video games. While star wars games have been in some way successful, because star wars is an action scifi ip,  star trek is more like story driven scifi ip closer to a soup opera in the good sense. The real nature of star trek is difficult to implement into a video game, even more in a mmo. 

Anyway, I guess I leave people to vent their complains, it might be good. Hopefully, after a few weeks displeased people will be able to move on to a new game. Unfortunately, nothing in the horizon is similar, maybe Eve can be a good choice (I played, it was not for me, but it looks like many people like it)

This might deserve new topic but now you are high-jacking the thread and I am very curious with what Felconian comes up with after he checks the graphs more closely, especially considering it was him who brought those data up :-D

Oh i don't think he will mind to much.

Just my 2 cents

I know.

Maybe you are right, in some way I am ranting about people ranting, but it is not the ranting itself that I find curious, it is the apparent intended length. 

About the ip, I remember from experience in videogames (which is not extremely extense) that some video games arrives with a curse, for me were anime and star trek based video games. While star wars games have been in some way successful, because star wars is an action scifi ip,  star trek is more like story driven scifi ip closer to a soup opera in the good sense. The real nature of star trek is difficult to implement into a video game, even more in a mmo. 

Anyway, I guess I leave people to vent their complains, it might be good. Hopefully, after a few weeks displeased people will be able to move on to a new game. Unfortunately, nothing in the horizon is similar, maybe Eve can be a good choice (I played, it was not for me, but it looks like many people like it)

Try the Fallen Earth trial--it is not spaced based but it is letting me get a little bit of a sci-fi fix