Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LOTRO Without Pando

VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Is there a way to download the trial, without using Pando Media Booster?  I've downloaded some games fine with it, but maybe its something about how it's configured for LOTRO, but trying to download this game destroys my bandwidth.  There doesn't seem to be any way to throttle the upload or download speed, and I'm guessing it's trying to hog too much?

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

Comments

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

Pando is Pando whether used with LoTRO or any other download. There are certain aspects of it that ae configureable though

http://pandonetworks.com/pando-media-booster-support-faq

I miss DAoC

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

I never thought to check Windows control panel. Wth are the config options doing there???  I did try googling for the solution, but only found rants about Pando being malware and the like.  I guess it's technically not, but they could avoid that sort of rep, if they'd just make it a little more user friendly.

Thanks, though.  Being able to cap the upload speed seems to fix the problem.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Originally posted by Vhaln

Is there a way to download the trial, without using Pando Media Booster?  I've downloaded some games fine with it, but maybe its something about how it's configured for LOTRO, but trying to download this game destroys my bandwidth.  There doesn't seem to be any way to throttle the upload or download speed, and I'm guessing it's trying to hog too much?

Pedo Booster did the same thing to me when trying to DL DDO.

Can only get to about 40% before it totally kills my internet connection and the only way I can connect again is to uninstall DDO and Pedo. Media Booster my @$$. Connection Killer is more like it.

Id really like to try DDO, but until I can find a way to do it without Pedo freezing my connection Im not even going to bother.

*Edit- Ive gone to the PMB site and read the faq and intructions about capping the DL speed. Still no luck. I get to about 46% and it totally freezes my connection.

Ive tried everything from 5-500kbps and nothing works.

Pedo Connection Killer has got to be the freaking worst DL program I have ever seen.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

They really need to get away from Pando. It is a resource hog and it kills your connection.  Not only that but pando stays on your system and runs in the background.  So you have to uninstall it later.

To bad you just can't walk in and buy the disks.

I refuse to download and install ddo due to it.  I had the original disk for lotro and that is how I avoided using their pando crud.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

once you successfully installed the game uninstall panda ,restart conputer then start the game and let it update

we had same issue with aika seems like gameguard and pando (in aika )somehow ends up modifying the computer setting permanently till you change them back kind of annoying to say the least

yes pando,gameguard,xtrap are all badly written program that get installed at the core of your computer without anyway to remove them easy

i wish microsoft corrected this loophope and made sure it detected gameguard and xtrap style program and keept a way to erase these specific because right now its impossible to remove those by the avrage user and thosae can be huge ressource hog(even tho those company promise they shouldnt countless game experience otherwise

• ParkCarsHereParkCarsHere Member Posts: 666

Originally posted by drbaltazar

once you successfully installed the game uninstall panda ,restart conputer then start the game and let it update

we had same issue with aika seems like gameguard and pando (in aika )somehow ends up modifying the computer setting permanently till you change them back kind of annoying to say the least

yes pando,gameguard,xtrap are all badly written program that get installed at the core of your computer without anyway to remove them easy

i wish microsoft corrected this loophope and made sure it detected gameguard and xtrap style program and keept a way to erase these specific because right now its impossible to remove those by the avrage user and thosae can be huge ressource hog(even tho those company promise they shouldnt countless game experience otherwise

Definitely this ^.

Pando is horrible, but luckily enough it can be removed after the installation and you will never need it again. I've had it uninstalled since I got LOTRO a couple years ago and my game has launched and updated just fine.

The one benefit of Pando, unlike something like Gameguard, is that it can be easily removed. It's not something that hides itself so deep that it's difficult to get rid of.

• TerraZeroTerraZero Member Posts: 2

Really now, I've never experienced so much trouble installing a game before.. It actually made me quite a bit angry there for some minutes, heh. Pando first killed my internet, made my browsers to freeze and finally a complete system crash... These programs are indeed poor written programs to the max. And it felt like I had a serious virus on my machine.. *sigh* can't even get to 10% in that installer.. christ

• TerraZeroTerraZero Member Posts: 2

Oh, nice! Thank you good sir

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181

Originally posted by TerraZero

Oh, nice! Thank you good sir

No worries. I can't garuntee it will patch to the live version since it's from the end of June but it is listed as the F2P hi-res client. Good luck!

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• bhugbhug Member UncommonPosts: 944

pando spyware, even after one uninstalls the pmb (Pando Media Booster) it still has hidden 5 to 15 entries in one's registry. You have to go and manually delete each registry entry (but do not delete iexpando).