Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

will there be bards?

svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

Will there be a bard class in 14, or if its too soon to tell was there one in 11?  How is it compared to the bard class in EQ1 or VG?

Comments

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Originally posted by svann

Will there be a bard class in 14, or if its too soon to tell was there one in 11?  How is it compared to the bard class in EQ1 or VG?

My crystal ball is telling me there will be one in the future. 

In XI there was a Bard class, yes. It played songs, buffing allies and debuffing mobs. I don't know how that compares to EQ1 or VG sadly, but I can't imagine it being too different there either.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • Lambon23Lambon23 Member UncommonPosts: 66

Well the FFXI Bards had to continously play songs while the EQ bards just have auras that work that buff the party. FFXI bards were a lot more technical because of the radius, timing, and limited songs you could have on...but it was definitely not fun.

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

This may be a little off-topic but the Thaumaturge currently has some bard-like abilities (in a technical sense anyway). They can drain stats from the target then apply what was drained as a buff for the whole party. They're not music oriented but it appears they have some similarities if you're thinking of a class to play.

• swalker23swalker23 Member Posts: 266

Originally posted by Lambon23

Well the FFXI Bards had to continously play songs while the EQ bards just have auras that work that buff the party. FFXI bards were a lot more technical because of the radius, timing, and limited songs you could have on...but it was definitely not fun.

It was fun if you were on the receiving end of the songsimage

I agree bards had it rough with all the crying people did for thier songs.

• DisdenaDisdena Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

If EQ bards don't have to continuously play songs anymore, that's a major change from how they worked at launch. Bard songs lasted about 18 seconds and took about 5 seconds to cast, so you spent hours doing nothing but clicking the same 3 icons in the same order over and over just so that you could keep all 3 songs in effect. See HOWTO: Twist Bard Songs.

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

Originally posted by Disdena

If EQ bards don't have to continuously play songs anymore, that's a major change from how they worked at launch. Bard songs lasted about 18 seconds and took about 5 seconds to cast, so you spent hours doing nothing but clicking the same 3 icons in the same order over and over just so that you could keep all 3 songs in effect. See HOWTO: Twist Bard Songs.

Song twisting in EQ was insane. After a raid i wouldnt be able to play for a day due to my hand locking up on me.

But yeah, EQ bards back in the day were limited by the amount of songs going at a single time, distance from the other players as well as the ability of the bard twisting the songs (4 twister here)

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

Originally posted by Disdena

Im pretty sure they changed it sometime shortly after I left.  The option was added that you could create a song and just start it and let it run, however if you got a missed note the song would start over from the start rather than repeating the missed part.  I think some bards didnt like that so much.  That was after I left though so I might not have it exactly right.

• KupoKupopoKupoKupopo Member Posts: 189

Originally posted by svann

Will there be a bard class in 14?

Only Spoony Bards (I can't believe nobody said that yet...)

But seriously, I would bet there will not be "Bards" since S-E seems to be setting a precedent of not using the same Job names for warrior or magic classes in FFXIV.  However, I am confident there will be some type of a class that has buffing/debuffing "auras" surrounding him- which is basically what a bard/dancer is.  But now I'm getting into semantics...

Whether they will make it like a FFXI bard or an EQ bard this time around remains to be seen.

I am hoping for a melee mage with buffing/debuffing auras surrounding him.  (Yes, I know that sounds similar to the Chosen in Warhammer but I think it would be really cool in FFXIV).

• BannneBannne Member Posts: 244

Although i have fond memories of my EQ1 bard i do think that VG bard class is just as good if not better in some ways. It is the best bard class of any mmorpg to date,it's great.

http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/59430

http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/59432

• NygzieNygzie Member Posts: 4

I was a Bard in XI and I really enjoyed. My other characters were somewhat gimp due to my lack of gil. Thus,  my gear was  some what average.  As for being a bard, you could be buck naked and no one cared.  They just wanted their Acc+ and MP Regen. Plus, I usually I got invited to really cool activites, because everyone <3 Bard.  Anyway, I hope they have a class with similar abilites. I usually go for the support/buff roles in a MMO.

• pesh131pesh131 Member Posts: 35

Bards werent fun in FFXI? I disagree, they were quite fun if you knew what you were doing, and how to suppress the whining of certain group members saying they want one thing instead of what everyone else gets. But even then, that wasnt hard. It's all about distance, or macroing in the single target songs to rangers or whoever needs it. It was a handful at times, especially when you add pulling into the mix. I loved being a bard in XI

• SoulSurferSoulSurfer Member UncommonPosts: 1,024

I remember a short era in which Bards were tanking Fafnir/Nidhogg and then SE nerf the ridiculous enmity of "chocobo marzuka" when spammed in an alliance! lol <3 Brds It was my 4th 75 job =D

• tabarjacktabarjack Member UncommonPosts: 249

Originally posted by pesh131

Bards werent fun in FFXI? I disagree, they were quite fun if you knew what you were doing, and how to suppress the whining of certain group members saying they want one thing instead of what everyone else gets. But even then, that wasnt hard. It's all about distance, or macroing in the single target songs to rangers or whoever needs it. It was a handful at times, especially when you add pulling into the mix. I loved being a bard in XI

Same here. Brd/Whm was the key to constant pulling for lvls 20-50 (a RDM was also needed)