Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New EQ2 subscription model

Comments

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

The whole deal really smacks of accounting based decision making and not creating something that will address player issues and make the game more enjoyable.  This really equates to $50 per month for a subscription when all things are said and done. 

Even the reasons that were dreamed up to justify this program lack common sense.  None of the descriptions used are something I would want someone else to call me, let alone ask for money in return for doing so.  Penny pincher?  Party Crasher?  Commitment issues?  Is that really how they view customers for won't fork over $15 a month? 

If someone selling newspaper subscriptions door to door used those terms, I imagine they would get their ass kicked. 

This whole mentality of wanting more for providing less is just getting out of hand. 

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

You can only use this offer once every 30 days...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Originally posted by Ujirik

For example, every 90 days World of Warcraft gives previous subscribers 17 days free to return to the game with no strings attached.

where do people come up with this stuff?

I have an expired WOW acct from last December 2009

--- there is NO FREE OFFER to return .... I just checked, its an inacitve acct that i need to pay for to activate

• WarpHunterWarpHunter Member Posts: 147

Originally posted by Nadia

For example, every 90 days World of Warcraft gives previous subscribers 17 days free to return to the game with no strings attached.

--- there is NO FREE OFFER to return .... I just checked, its an inacitve acct that i need to pay for to activate

I get a come back for 10 days offer on WoW ever 2-3 months. It usually includes access to all the expansions so that you can try it out.. It wants you to buy the expansion and game time once your 10 days is up but you are not required to do so.

As to the topic at hand, you can add me to the"this is a ripoff" crowed. A week (7 days) would be worth the $5 as that is how long it takes me to realize why I left a game the first time.   3 days at $5 is a $50/mo subscription rate (yes I know you only get 3 days per 30 days currently).  Maybe they are just making that high so that those people who are actually interested in playing will see that its a rip off and just give them the $15 for the monthly subscription.

I wish companies here would do something simular to what we had for the Chinese version of Aion. I cant remember the precise amount but I believe I spent around $6 and got just over 50 hours of gameplay.. Since I was only playing 3-4 hours a night  at the time it gave me just over 2 weeks of game time. The more money you paid up front the more hours per $1 you got and there was no expiration nor requirement that you had to use those hours over a consecutive amount of days.

Warp

• LuckyRLuckyR Member UncommonPosts: 260

I am glad it is an option and not the only way to pay or SOE would lose one of their longest subscribers...ME!

• NepentheiaNepentheia Member Posts: 53

From what I've researched and figured out, the $4.99 is NON-RECURRING. You only pay the $4.99 ONCE, and you get access to your account for 3 consecutive days every 30 days.

In otherwords, this is a "play-for-3-consecutive-days-every-30-days" lifetime account for a one-time payment of $4.99.

• VyavaVyava Member Posts: 893

Originally posted by Nepentheia

From what I've researched and figured out, the $4.99 is NON-RECURRING. You only pay the $4.99 ONCE, and you get access to your account for 3 consecutive days every 30 days.

In otherwords, this is a "play-for-3-consecutive-days-every-30-days" lifetime account for a one-time payment of $4.99.

It is non-recurring, but it is a one time sub for 3 consecutive days. After 30 days from it ending you are eligible to get 3 more days at the $5 rate. If you want to play more before the 30 days since the last usage you have to goto a normal subscription model or use a time card

Poor value and ridiculously confusing fine print. Now if it was weekends only with limited character slots or something more worthwhile I might be interested. 

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Honestly, if it was 72 hours of anytime play, it might work for some people.  "Casual" or "once in a while" players aren't going to be playing 3 days straight.  People who want to maintain extra alts for raids or occassional play also aren't going to play them 3 days in a row, they're gonna play "an hour here and there".   

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• yayitsandyyayitsandy Member Posts: 363

Originally posted by Nepentheia

If this were the case it would be a great deal . I somehow doubt it is . Even 4.99 for 72 hours of non consecutive play would be tempting .

But if its 4.99 for 3 days of consecutive play then its a bit of a ripp off .

I think SOE need to clarify things further .

• phil_jamesphil_james EverQuest II ReporterMember Posts: 32

This isn't really a subscription model.  It's a way for players with inactive accounts to log in once a month for three days at a time if they wish.

People who are fixated on the idea of playing for 72 hours per month for 5 bucks need to settle down a bit.  It's not an offer designed to replace the existing subscription model.  Mmo subscriptions are extremely cheap when compared with other forms of entertainment.  Trying to work out how to wring a better deal is a bit tragic.

I have a few games on the go, but don't have time to play them all.  If each of them offered me a weekend of play time for a third of the subscription cost, i'd be very happy indeed.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Originally posted by phil_james

This isn't really a subscription model.  It's a way for players with inactive accounts to log in once a month for three days at a time if they wish.

People who are fixated on the idea of playing for 72 hours per month for 5 bucks need to settle down a bit.  It's not an offer designed to replace the existing subscription model.  Mmo subscriptions are extremely cheap when compared with other forms of entertainment.  Trying to work out how to wring a better deal is a bit tragic.

I have a few games on the go, but don't have time to play them all.  If each of them offered me a weekend of play time for a third of the subscription cost, i'd be very happy indeed.

They stated that this is targeted in part at people with 2nd accounts that are inactive or people that would like to stay in touch with guild.  For both of those , 3 days in a row per month doesn't make sense.  Even 24 hours non-consecutive would be more appealing.  By giving 3 days consecutively, they're effectively setting up that more than 50% of the given time is not used.  My criticism wasn't looking at a cheaper model for my own sub as this would clearly not work for me.

However, I've often considered the benefits of getting a second account for the occasional two-boxing and such.    For this purpose, I would love a "low-play" option, but getting only 3 days in a row per month just wouldn't work.  I may only use that account 10 hours a month, but i'd want to use it several times (when i need it).  I think the same is true for many people I know who would consider this. 

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• TelonTelon Member Posts: 81

Originally posted by Nadia

This past December they sent me a come back for 7 days email.  I have never been offered anything else from Blizzard.  I know a friend can send you a Scroll of Resurrection good for 10 days free.  It claims you're allowed up to 3 total, I've only been able to use one, all others they won't let me use.  Last I played WoW was over 4 months ago and tried one of those Scrolls yesterday with no luck.

• VidanVidan Member Posts: 45

Actually I find this to be about perfect. I tend to come back every couple GUs or so to chat with old friends and see what's changed. I have no intentions (nor the time) to stay longer. I appreciate that I can now spend $5.00 to check back in instead of $15.00. Given that this isn't forced on anyone I don't understand why people are getting all huffy about it; be happy that a small segment of the potential EQ2 populace has a payment model that might work better for them and continue on with your normal life. 

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

Originally posted by Vidan

Actually I find this to be about perfect. I tend to come back every couple GUs or so to chat with old friends and see what's changed. I have no intentions (nor the time) to stay longer. I appreciate that I can now spend $5.00 to check back in instead of $15.00. Given that this isn't forced on anyone I don't understand why people are getting all huffy about it; be happy that a small segment of the potential EQ2 populace has a payment model that might work better for them and continue on with your normal life. 

Welcome to mmorpg.com people like to get huffy about everything.!

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

Someone failed at math here. i dont understand.....

15$ = 30 days

5$ = 3 days ? 

I fail to see why i would pay 1/3 the price of a regular montly fee for 1/10 the time.....

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

Originally posted by Aguitha

15$ = 30 days

5$ = 3 days ? 

I fail to see why i would pay 1/3 the price of a regular montly fee for 1/10 the time.....

I think they designed it for people who are thinking of re-subbing back to EQ2 but do not want to spend the $15 just in case they don’t like it and get bored after a few days, so paying $5 is a much better option if you want to test out the game.

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

I don't think you can call this a subscription model. Its more like a "Try again for 5 dollars" campaign. I think its a smart idea, but it would be percieved better if it was 5 days instead of 3.

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

Originally posted by brostyn

I don't think you can call this a subscription model. Its more like a "Try again for 5 dollars" campaign. I think its a smart idea, but it would be percieved better if it was 5 days instead of 3.

Agreed.  I understand the point they are trying to make, pay less to try it, but i think it's too much (5$) for too little (3 days).  Should have been like 5$ for a week.

Just my 2 cents.

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

15$ = 30 days

5$ = 3 days ? 

Really? If you want to see if you can get back into the game are you more apt to spend the 5 bucks? I think so. I think its designed to bring former players back. One may spend the 5 dollars when before they didn't really want to spend the 15.

I don't think it has to do with providing a fair value. Before former players had to spend 15 dollars to get back into the game. Now they only need to spend 5 dollars to figure out its the same EQ2 they left. A good deal, imo.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

This whole idea is not worth it. Simply put, if you wish to hold on to your cash for things that you really want....don't fall for this scam.

$14.99 per month = $0.50 per day

$4.99 per 3 day     = $1.66 per day

Let's party like it is 1863!

• VidanVidan Member Posts: 45

Originally posted by Gruug

This whole idea is not worth it. Simply put, if you wish to hold on to your cash for things that you really want....don't fall for this scam.

Do you always Supersize your meal? Just because something is a better value proposition on a relative basis doesn't mean that it's better on an absolute basis. If I can spend $5.00, get a few days to enjoy the game and then not want to log on anymore I've saved $10.00.

SoE could definitely improve this by allowing you to pay an additional $10.00 'upgrade' to a full subscription. I'm positive that people would take advantage of this to give the game a try every so often and maybe get back into it. 

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

Originally posted by Vidan

Originally posted by Gruug

Do you always Supersize your meal? Just because something is a better value proposition on a relative basis doesn't mean that it's better on an absolute basis. If I can spend $5.00, get a few days to enjoy the game and then not want to log on anymore I've saved $10.00.

SoE could definitely improve this by allowing you to pay an additional $10.00 'upgrade' to a full subscription. I'm positive that people would take advantage of this to give the game a try every so often and maybe get back into it. 

McDonald's isn't charging me by TIME to eat. Since time is money, yes I would supersize.

However, I like the idea of the "additional $10.00" to a point but......

These plans will actually reduce subsriptions overall in the long run which will reduce income for the MMO which in turn will cause even less content which in turn will cause even less subscriptions.....you see the cycle. But short term, it is great (although not  very efficent/cost effective) for you.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

as there is already a free trial for EQ2 should anyone wish to try it, i can't really see the point of a very limited.. $5 sub for 3 days... tbh, the whole thing strikes me as a bit stupid, i really can't see any vets coming back to the game on even a trial basis for $5, SOE might be hurting for cash, but i can't see this deal paying off for them. They have a lot of titles now that arent worth the AAA subscription amounts - even if you consider them as part of the station pass deal, Planetside, EQ and EQ2, Vanguard, SWG, these are all games that are long past their sell by date, while SOE is looking at their subscription models, perhaps they ought to rethink their subscription rates for these games, as some of them, as in most. are at best worth $5 a month..maybe then they might seeing a bit more interest in their games, and not keep having to carry out server merges. Planetside has only 1 server now, Vanguard seems to be going the same way, EQ only has a fraction of the number of servers it used to have - EQ2 servers were also merged a little while back, and may happen again, SWG, only has 3 or 4 really active servers now, its probably a good time for SOE to finally accept that their current sub model isnt working to enhance any of these games... imo, the station pass is an overpriced joke.. only, nobody is really laughing.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

An excellent deal for casual gamers and alt accounts. Since it's a monthly subscription, the veteran rewards rack up on it, right? That's also another plus.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by brostyn

Agreed.  I understand the point they are trying to make, pay less to try it, but i think it's too much (5$) for too little (3 days).  Should have been like 5$ for a week.

Just my 2 cents.

How is a monthly fee for service access not a subscription model? The internet generation (millenials) seems to have taken 'subscription' to mean that you have 24/7 access to everything if you pay a monthly fee. That could very well contribute to some of the extreme resentment shown towards the paywall of F2P games. Most subscrioption services have some kind of cap or limitation on how and when they can be used. The cap here is time.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre