Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

would u buy another cryptic game?

raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

wondering how many people will try the new mmo cryptic is working on?

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

Comments

• tsuktstsukts Member Posts: 164

Where's "Maybe, depends what MMO they make" ? :P

• raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

dam my spelling sucks, but you ge tthe idea was supposed to be forums, and your right yi should have put maybe, but i think its to late now

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Originally posted by tsukts

Where's "Maybe, depends what MMO they make" ? :P

This, simply because i loved CoH/CoV.

I wouldn't buy another of their games at launch again after having had the misfortune to experience both Champions & STO.

• KuatosuneKuatosune Member UncommonPosts: 219

Personally, I will be very cynical towards any title bearing their name.

• gandalesgandales Member UncommonPosts: 472

Pls, you guys are getting pathologic

Follow the link : Moving on

• MeTedMeTed Member Posts: 129

Just bought the CO box for 19.99 from Best Buy with 1 included month. A price I'm happy with. Don't buy the digital download from BB it is screwed up and charges 29.99 plus 5.99 dl fee.

Wish I had waited to try STO for 29.99 or less. I paid 60 bucks for the regular edition.

• JpizzleJpizzle Member Posts: 371

Not even if they had a gun to my mother's head and told me to choose "play or she dies". I'll always remember & love you mama!!

• cujo603cujo603 Member UncommonPosts: 103

never, at least not til any game they made was out a year or more.  I got burned by champions so i waited to see what sto would be like. Just from what i've read about sto, i'll never try it.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

This is a trick question right ? Unless a miracle happens for them in a positive way they will not ever get my money.  Ever since they left NCsoft it has been down hill for them because they need money badly to keep the studio running, hence why every title they have made since they left NCsoft has been rushed out the door and done poorly.

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Back when City of Villains first came out I bought both City of Heroes and City of Villains (back then they sold seperately,) as well as a 1 year subscription.

I had tried CoH before on my friend's account and tried out the CoV 14 day free trial (this was back when the CoH/V free trial had absolutely no restrictions on it,) so I knew I was getting good games.

I tried out Champions Online, both the unlimited free trial (which is a joke since you're stuck in the tutorial zone (which in itself takes maybe two hours to complete,) I'd rather have a 7, 10 or 14 day free trial that let me try out every part of the game) and the free weekend (where I finally got out of the tutorial zone and got to try the rest of the game) and CO did not impress me in the slightest. Far before the free weekend was over it was a chore to log into the game and play it, there's no way I could have subscribed to such a game.

Admittedly I haven't played STO (though I'm willing to try it, I'm just absolutely not willing to pay a dime to try it,) but I know what Star Trek is and what games in the MMO genre are capable of. I know how deeply has failed the Star Trek IP and what an epic game it could have been.

I gave Cryptic quite a bit of money back in the day, but I refuse to ever give them another red cent of my money. Not until those responsible for the C-Store, two year development cycles, and dumbing down Star Trek for mass market appeal are fired and they make an MMO that is actually good and shows that they have mended their shoddy ways.

• david13edavid13e Member Posts: 50

This is an interesting question so I must reply.

Ive only played WoW and STO.  In WoW (which i will admit I wasnt aronund for any problems Blizz may have had) it was a fully formed game.  For STO II would have to say no.

Cry put out a really cheap game and charged me a comparitavely large amount.  Do I reget it?... yes.  Is it my fault?...yes.  Will I bite again?....No Way!

I read these boards trying to figure out why I despise STO so much.  The closest posts seem to me to indicate this game is "souless" which is a term I cant define.

I never played any other Cry games and I have no desire to do so in the future.

• Die_ScreamDie_Scream Member Posts: 1,785

Fool me THREE times? Not a chance.

• augustgraceaugustgrace Member UncommonPosts: 628

Depends on the game.

I still enjoy logging into Champions from time to time.  STO on the other hand, I sort of wish I'd passed on.  Still 50% isn't too bad.  I'd give any game they came out with a fair chance.  I don't understand or share the blind unreasoning rage so many others have for Cryptic. 

• BoombadiLBoombadiL Member Posts: 50

never , i will never buy another one.  I had high hopes for STO ,and the game made me wanna vomit .  

• SkullFighterSkullFighter Member UncommonPosts: 31

Let's see played COH/COV thought they actually had somewhat of a decent pvp feature set.  They never expanded on it, threw it to the side and had horrible balance issues between the hero and villain archtypes.  Pretty much nailed character creation though.

Played Champions Online.  Felt they took a big step backwards in the pvp implementation of that game.  It was really obviously put in as an afterthought.  Somehow they botched what should of been a decent character speccing system.  Again character creation is the most fun part of the game.

Played the beta for Star Trek online.  It does not really feel like Star Trek should.  They used the same design plan for pvp as they have for CO.  Did not bother to sub. Knew it was sub par at best.  The shine of being in the Star Trek world fades quickly. 

Increasingly they have gone downhill from the COH/COV days.  I think a problem in general is with the game creation tools that make use of heavy reusability.  Game creativity has taken a hit in favor of quick to market reusable content game engines.  Just look at the Korean MMO market its full of copy cat games.  That has somewhat bled into the US market.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Is this hypothetical game a fun game from Cryptic, or a game from Cryptic that isn't fun?

I wonder if Parker Bros. gets this kind of hate from people who buy Monopoly and then don't enjoy it. Do you think the Parker Bros. forums are a-blaze with hate posts about how 'monopoly' didn't capture the feel of Atlantic City? That "monopoly's" property system sequesters player from healthy socialization? That "monopoly" is just a re-skinning of "the game of Life"?

Do you think people are debating whether they should boycott Parker Bros. future games because of the unethical deal they received with "Monopoly"?

I swear, some gamers have the dumbest things to get passionate about.

You bought a video game, it was a let down. Buyer be ware. What if Cryptic's next game is hella fun and gets blockbuster reviews in every category including customer service? Cryptic wasn't trying to screw anyone. They wanted to make a game they hoped people would enjoy and thus they could earn a living by entertaining you. They failed. They aren't evil, they had a set back. This level of hate is ludicrous and shameful.

Save your indignation and boycotts for truly evil corporations that are actually doing bad things like forcing children to work for slave wages and long hours or purposefully leave unsafe conditions in factories, knowing employees will die, simply because it is cheaper than upgrading equipment. THESE are actual things ACTUALLY happening by real corporations and yet, I bet the shirt on your back was made by a 9 year old in Vietnam and 1 in the morning as you speculate wheter Cryptic deserves your business because of the pain Star Trek Online caused you.

This planet is doomed.

• Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777

I bought a lifetime sub to CO based on my experiences with CoH/V.  What a learning experience that was.  Never again.

A MMO company is only as good as their last game, and Cryptic has a lot to prove to me before they'll ever see another cent of my money.  I honestly believe that City of Heroes was a fluke, and I don't think the company has it in them to put out something else that'll hold my attention for longer than the first month (if that). 

• bstiffbstiff Member Posts: 359

Originally posted by gandales

Seriously if I wanted psych advice I certiainly wouldn't get it from a wikipedia page and DEFINITELY not from an article authored by anonymous, flickety, puddy and wikibunny, I doubt any of them are psychiatrists.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Originally posted by bstiff

Seriously if I wanted psych advice I certiainly wouldn't get it from a wikipedia page and DEFINITELY not from an article authored by anonymous, flickety, puddy and wikibunny, I doubt any of them are psychiatrists.

Exactly. However, to get professional advice on unethical business practices and consumer fraud, I come to the most reliable source on the internet: threads like these.

Forget the better business bureau, corporate law or gov't regulation agencies. The real story of corporate crime can be seen in the pages of mmorpg where you will learn of the most evil corporation of them all: Cryptic.

While America sleeps, we are lucky to have people like you keeping us informed.

• ArcAngel3ArcAngel3 Member Posts: 2,931

I liked what Cryptic was doing with COH and COV.  I played those games in what I think of as their golden age--right after COV came out and a year or two afterwards.

Having said that, I was not at all impressed with what I saw from them in CO or STO.  The issues are really simple for me: C-store cash grabs (respecs and playable races especially) and rushed development.

These two problems make for bad and limited game-play, and multiple layers of fees.  Not interested.

Go back to a healthier development process and lose the Microtransaction fees on top of the sub, and I'd check them out.

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657

The best thing cryptic has done was the character creater in CO. Both CO and STO are nothing but garbage that they are trying to make a fast buck on. Cryptic has a lot of work to gain my trust and confidence.

• ArtymasArtymas Member Posts: 38

i picked no because i plan only playing STO and thats it.  I could care less about COH or champions online or what ever it is.

• bstiffbstiff Member Posts: 359

Originally posted by Zorgo

Originally posted by bstiff

Exactly. However, to get professional advice on unethical business practices and consumer fraud, I come to the most reliable source on the internet: threads like these.

Forget the better business bureau, corporate law or gov't regulation agencies. The real story of corporate crime can be seen in the pages of mmorpg where you will learn of the most evil corporation of them all: Cryptic.

While America sleeps, we are lucky to have people like you keeping us informed.

first of all who are you? second spare me the personal attack. Your rant has exactly zero to do with the post I repsonded to and everything to do with trolling. What is it the last couple days? Fanboys gone wild?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

Needed another option, "No, Cryptic is known for making shit for games" and I'd never play another one.

Seriously, I found COH/COV both shallow as hell and knew then they couldn't create a game that I'd enjoy.

Havnen't tried their latest titles but I'm pretty sure my assessment is right on.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• championsFanchampionsFan Member Posts: 419

Sure, I have been extremely satisfied with CO for 7 months so I would check out any Cryptic game.  I didn't like the beta of STO, so I won't buy that one, and I wouldn't buy any company's MMO without trying it first.

Cryptic is trying a Customer Development approach to MMO creation.