Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another really good "I quit" thread...

Comments

• Shatter30Shatter30 Member UncommonPosts: 487

The IP in this case means a lot.  They advertised the heck out of STO on SYFY channel the first week or 2 of launch as this great STO MMO, they were counting on the IP for sales.  Where they failed was making an in-depth STO MMO and instead made a watered down shootem up STO which as one would expect gets boring fast since it lacks any real depth.  If this game wasnt STO they never would of advertised it like they did and it would of never got the box sales it did. 

• MeTedMeTed Member Posts: 129

Originally posted by championsFan

Originally posted by lavosslayer

I am a lifer in STO and I totally feel duped. 

To say you were duped implies that you were deceived, but there was plenty of opportunity to try the game.   The lengthy open beta, the reviews at the major sites,  there was plenty of information about the game.

It is not right to buy an LTS based on pure hope that the game will get better, and then later complain about deception.  Lifers chose to have hope for a positive outcome, even though all the rational signs pointed to that being unlikely, it wasn't deception at all.  

I bought my Champions LTS based on already liking the game enough at launch, it wasn't based on any hope for future updates.   I am sympathetic to people regreting their STO LTS, and I wish you guys could get refunds, but the lesson is to only buy an LTS based on substance rather than hope.  

Edit: I saw a later post where you explain feeling deceived over the directions and extent of progress in open and closed beta, which is more understandable.  But still, they key is to see through to the core of the game.   I am an ST fan and a Cryptic fan, and when I launched STO Closed Beta in the first few minutes I knew that there were deep, deep problems at the core of the game.   Not the type of problems that can be fixed by the Cryptic I know.

You bring up some good points CO fan. I think most of us are dissppointed because we wanted to make STO our new home like you did with CO. Many felt they got a good deal with the bonuses (monthly and lifers) and long term cost savings (lifers)  initially. That was up until they finished the game and the newness wore off with nothing left to do.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Jpizzle
    They went for (or at least the expectation of 90% of mmo gamers out there) a virtual universe based on a rich and expansive lore.

They went for casual friendly MMO and they did it quite well, imo.

Personal expectations is a personal issue and irrelevant to game qualities and design.

Originally posted by Shatter30
    Where they failed was making an in-depth STO MMO

They didn't fail because they were never aiming for in-depth STO MMO.

• JpizzleJpizzle Member Posts: 371

Originally posted by Gdemami

They went for (or at least the expectation of 90% of mmo gamers out there) a virtual universe based on a rich and expansive lore.

Personal expectations is a personal issue and irrelevant to game qualities and design.

IMO they didn't even get a casual MMO right. Certainly not one that warrants a box fee, a premium $15 a month, and added shit to pay for on top. They failed miserably even if it was F2P.

Actually, you’re wrong. Personal expectations are a tie-in to the attrition and success of the game. If only 10,000 people bought it and all 10,000 loved it, then its niche. If 100,000 bought it and 100,000 loved it, then it’s successful. But, when you sell 100,000 copies and lose 60-80% of your player base in less then 3 months, that’s quantified by the quality of the game.

Obviously those numbers are just an example, but STO falls in the last category, not the first two.

Actually, you’re wrong. Personal expectations are a tie-in to the attrition and success of the game. If only 10,000 people bought it and all 10,000 loved it, then its niche. If 100,000 bought it and 100,000 loved it, then it’s successful. But, when you sell 100,000 copies and lose 60-80% of your player base in less then 3 months, that’s quantified by the quality of the game. Obviously those numbers are just an example, but STO falls in the last category, not the first two.

And since you have no numbers to back up your guesses, it leaves your so called point absolutely moot.
    (leaving aside how ill-logic your assumption is)

Also I can't be wrong when you put your words into my mouth.

• PermianPermian Member CommonPosts: 78

Originally posted by Shatter30

Where they failed was making an in-depth STO MMO

They didn't fail because they were never aiming for in-depth STO MMO.

Please start giving some reasons for your arguments and start perhaps by reading the rules of conduct?

I and many others on this forum have spent time and effort to give reason and comment with our opinion and all you do is offer opinion without adding any reasons to backup what you are saying. You do this time and time again each time you've posted.

I'm sure you have something actually worthwhile to add? Yes?

• JpizzleJpizzle Member Posts: 371

Actually, you’re wrong. Personal expectations are a tie-in to the attrition and success of the game. If only 10,000 people bought it and all 10,000 loved it, then its niche. If 100,000 bought it and 100,000 loved it, then it’s successful. But, when you sell 100,000 copies and lose 60-80% of your player base in less then 3 months, that’s quantified by the quality of the game. Obviously those numbers are just an example, but STO falls in the last category, not the first two.

And since you have no numbers to back up your guesses, it leaves your so called point absolutely moot.

Ok. LOL. Ill-logical, huh? It's cool. I deal w/ stubborn people all day that can't concide when they're wrong. On forums is no different. Besides, I'm married so I'm totally used to it :)

• mokoleusmokoleus Member Posts: 142

i'm probably daming myself to hell for this, but if any game required a NGE, this is it folks. the handful of things done well, are eclipsed by the bad. a star trek mmo, pretty much demands to have multiple factions. not just a half assed federation, and no assed klingon, but fully fledged factions. romulan, cardassian, klingon, maquis, dominon, hell, even borg and and that speicies 8142( some bigger trekkie correct that for me, can't remember the number, to lazy to check.) i'm all for having a war break out, to increase the amount of combat in the game, let's face it, it's a mmo, a videogame, killing is gerenally pretty important, but removing everything else, that makes trek unique? you should be able to be traders and pirates, explore vast areas, hell, you should damn well be able to set your warp factor when travelling. the giant blue sector space has got to freaking go. really, the only truly good thing that came from STO, is it shows how little cryptic knows about what they do. oh, and i do enjoy CoX, though i haven't played in a long time.... it at least lasted longer then a week and a half.

• mokoleusmokoleus Member Posts: 142

Earth and Beyond, thats what cryptic should have ripped off. started there, and build star trek oline over it, but at least adding as many features as that. since it's what 8 years old now?

Originally posted by Permian
    I and many others on this forum have spent time and effort to give reason and comment with our opinion and all you do is offer opinion without adding any reasons to backup what you are saying.

You are the one trashing the game and trying to make a point so onus of proving is your duty, not mine.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by mokoleus

i'm probably daming myself to hell for this, but if any game required a NGE, this is it folks. the handful of things done well, are eclipsed by the bad. a star trek mmo, pretty much demands to have multiple factions. not just a half assed federation, and no assed klingon, but fully fledged factions. romulan, cardassian, klingon, maquis, dominon, hell, even borg and and that speicies 8142( some bigger trekkie correct that for me, can't remember the number, to lazy to check.) i'm all for having a war break out, to increase the amount of combat in the game, let's face it, it's a mmo, a videogame, killing is gerenally pretty important, but removing everything else, that makes trek unique? you should be able to be traders and pirates, explore vast areas, hell, you should damn well be able to set your warp factor when travelling. the giant blue sector space has got to freaking go. really, the only truly good thing that came from STO, is it shows how little cryptic knows about what they do. oh, and i do enjoy CoX, though i haven't played in a long time.... it at least lasted longer then a week and a half.

All of that detail would have taken much more than two years to impliment properly. The way Cryptic rushed STO out the door, I suspect they are either having funding problems, or they have been strong armed.  Having decent faction level conflicts would have added a great deal to the game, but the increased art assets alone would have taken a lot of time, not to mention the lore and other details.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812

Originally posted by gholston

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=151384

This one has the standard lifers defending the game. I thought the OP did a damn good job hammering Cryptic  :)

It has really been a psychology lesson of sorts as to how attached people are to their "investments". The lifers still defend this game to the death and it absolutely amazes me.

I'm not going to waste any of my time reading the link, I'm doing enough of that replying to another one of these useless "I quit" threads as it is.

What I want to know though, is what does spamming this kind of shit do for anyone?

When someone quits, they have their reasons, but in reality it all boils down to is someones expectations were not met and they are now dissapointed. End of story. No need to talk about what would bring you back, how dumb someone is becasue they didn't cater to your tastes, or what you would like to see happen to their jobs because they didn't provide you with the entertainment you desired. Really other than sending the company an email or even lose your precious annonymity and actaully write them a letter, or hell call them on the phone, what point does whining about things beyond your control on the internet have?

Be more productive and do something outdoors, maybe take up fishing. I know you can't type an "I quit" thread in the water when you don't catch anything but you can always piss your name in the sand to let them know you were there.

• bstiffbstiff Member Posts: 359

Originally posted by Sanguinelust

I'm not going to waste any of my time reading the link, I'm doing enough of that replying to another one of these useless "I quit" threads as it is.

What I want to know though, is what does spamming this kind of shit do for anyone?

When someone quits, they have their reasons, but in reality it all boils down to is someones expectations were not met and they are now dissapointed. End of story. No need to talk about what would bring you back, how dumb someone is becasue they didn't cater to your tastes, or what you would like to see happen to their jobs because they didn't provide you with the entertainment you desired. Really other than sending the company an email or even lose your precious annonymity and actaully write them a letter, or hell call them on the phone, what point does whining about things beyond your control on the internet have?

Be more productive and do something outdoors, maybe take up fishing. I know you can't type an "I quit" thread in the water when you don't catch anything but you can always piss your name in the sand to let them know you were there.

So tell us, why come to a thread where the majority of people in the thread have a negative opinion of STO as is our right and then berate us because you don't agree with it?

Sounds about as productive as what you accuse us of doing.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Originally posted by Wraithone

All of that detail would have taken much more than two years to impliment properly.

That's why we knew it would be a failure quality-wise. To take a HUGE IP and give it a very short development time was guaranteed to produce a bad game.

The other issue was that the devs in charge clearly have no respect for the IP.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Sometimes - the sky does fall. Sometimes - there is a wolf.

It has nothing to do with the legitimacy of the gloom & doom trolling.

It just a statistical necessity if I troll everything about every game on the market, I will hit the jackpot at some point.

In otherv words you maintain that every "I Quit" post on the STO forums are someone who must be trolling every game on the market? That's pretty funny and also very unlikely. Not every ragequit person is MMO_Doubter you know.

I am a lifer in STO and I totally feel duped. I really thought they could pull this game out of the muck that it launched in but I still have yet to be encouraged. I was hoping it would be as epic as LOTRO (the other game I am a lifer in) however that is totally not the case. The story is mediocre at best and the leveling is just pitheticly simple and quick.

This is totally baffling. You have been a member here since'06, and you thought this game would turn out anything like LOTRO?

You never read any of the threads about the simple design, the lack of focus on Trek fans, the Cryptic business model?

I did read alot of things and was even in closed and open beta. Back then alot of things were different, and more fun. The big changes made happened towards the end of beta and I really really wanted to believe that this game would turn around. I love Star Trek and really wanted to see the potential of the IP realized. Unfortunately it still hasn't and I doubt it ever will. I didn't just come to the revelation of being duped just now, its been a feeling I have had since the 45 day patch failed to address some of the really major issues with the game. Up until that point I had all the hope in the world that they might be able to pull it off.

Also, using my join date as a basis for what you think I should have realized is a meaningless assertion and assumption that I actually visit this website that often. Prior to STO I jumped on this site maybe once or twice a month but usually stay away because I hate hype leading into a launch of a game. I like to get into some of the testing phases and see where the game is and what issues might arise in the future. The only issues I ever had with STO in beta was the difficulty was very erratic making some thing insanely easy and others near impossible. Anyway, don't chastise me for admitting my own failure, in this community, admitting there is a problem with a choice you made is one of the hardest things to do because either you get flamed for being a lifer and hoping or you get flamed for not sticking to your guns. I'm sure those flames are on their way....be gentle...please...I think I've taken enough of a beating from Cryptic already

Hmm... You have my sympathy.

Here, this game started to be hyped quite a bit, but as more and more information regarding the game came to light, people became more and more disillusioned with the direction the game was going. There are also a lot of Star Trek fans here (lik3e myself) who knew that a properly done Star Trek MMO (LOTRO quality or better) would be an absolutely amazing and epic game that we could explore and play for years to come.

Then as more and more information was released we were told "this game isn't for you! (Star Trek fans)" and "this isn't a Star Trek simulator!" (But now it turns out that only Star Trek fans will even play this stink bomb of a game and Cryptic is working their hardest to add more Star Trek elements after the fact.) and it became more and more obvious that this was not the Star Trek MMO we have been waiting years for.

You possibly could have saved yourself some grief by reading these forums. But maybe you'd defend the game hoping that it would be something better.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

As a casual gamer I'd say they missed the mark by a longshot. Even at my slow pace I was close to maxing my character out in less than 2 months. It took me 4 months to reach level 40 in WOW. The game was lacking content and what little was there was boring and repetitive.

Funny, because I always thought that when you make a game based off of a popular IP that would be one of the FIRST things a company would consider. Especially one with a long history and as finicky a fans as the ones that belong to Star Trek.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

Actually, you’re wrong. Personal expectations are a tie-in to the attrition and success of the game. If only 10,000 people bought it and all 10,000 loved it, then its niche. If 100,000 bought it and 100,000 loved it, then it’s successful. But, when you sell 100,000 copies and lose 60-80% of your player base in less then 3 months, that’s quantified by the quality of the game.

Obviously those numbers are just an example, but STO falls in the last category, not the first two.

Actually, it looks like around 200,000 people bought the game and less than 100,000 people are still playing. That's a failure because they lost around 50% of their subscribers in less than three months.

Sources: http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=149826. Here a lifer went through the Captain's Database and discovered approximately 190,000 accounts. It was later discovered here that many of these accounts have shown no activity for quite some time: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/275330/What-Speculation-Sub-numbers-.html.

http://www.incgamers.com/News/21628/star-trek-online-has-over-100000-subscribers. Here Jack Emmert says that STO has "well over 100,000 subscribers." Notice his language, he doesn't say "over" or "around 150,000" or "over" or "around 200,000." This interview was given at the end of march, before the third billing cycle.

We should get further information when Atari's next financial report is released and we see the profits earned (or lost) by Cryptic.

Originally posted by Permian

I and many others on this forum have spent time and effort to give reason and comment with our opinion and all you do is offer opinion without adding any reasons to backup what you are saying.

You are the one trashing the game and trying to make a point so onus of proving is your duty, not mine.

Are you one of those LTS CDF'ers that think any negative opinion amounts to libel? I bet you are.

People are welcome to agree or disagree with my and others negative comments and opinions on STO. We've given plenty of good reasons why we didn't enjoy our experience and decided to cut short further involvement with the game and Cryptic. After all, there is no smoke unless there is a fire to begin with.

Originally posted by Xondar123

We should get further information when Atari's next financial report is released and we see the profits earned (or lost) by Cryptic.

Yes that stock holder report will be very interesting it's due in May 2010 isn't it? The next report after that will also be interesting as it will reveal if Cryptic earned their revenue targetted bonus installment.

Originally posted by Wraithone

He does not know, he only knows that cash shops are ebil...

Hmmm, let me think:

Respecs

Character slots

Playable races

Ship designs

Emotes

Have I missed anything?

What? No I Win Button?? I'm shocked! ^^

They're saving those for the lifetime subscribers.

Actually, it looks like around 200,000 people bought the game and less than 100,000 people are still playing. That's a failure because they lost around 50% of their subscribers in less than three months.

Actually, it looks like 20,000,000 people bought the WoW game and less than 11,000,000 people are still playing. That's a failure because they lost around 50% of their subscribers in less than <input your time period here>.

I only follow your own logic...

The only way to measure whether the game is a success, such as any other business, is the profit.

We have heard same doom & gloom trolling when AOC, WAR, AION, <input your game name here> were released and those games are still around, making money and provide fun to thousands of players.

Actually, it looks like 20,000,000 people bought the WoW game and less than 11,000,000 people are still playing. That's a failure because they lost around 50% of their subscribers in less than .

The only way to measure whether the game is a success, such as any other business, is the profit.

We have heard same doom & gloom trolling when AOC, WAR, AION, were released and those games are still around, making money and provide fun to thousands of players.

Good businesses value customers and care about customers getting value for money.

It's mind boggling how bad STO is as a game and how broken it got when Cryptic decided to tamper around with the game in order to squeeze more profit from the game. Despite how bad it is the subscriber base probably will stabilize during May 2010 and then we'll see the stock holder reports for further information.

Cryptic is like a restaurant that opened with three stars, the customers came expecting good food and found the food didn't live up to their expectations and later got food poisining. They wrote to the chef saying "your food is bad" and the chef replies "WTF do you know?" "We have had 100,000 customers" and completely over looking the fact that some of those 100,000 are the ones giving them the feedback. Does Gordon Ramsey help fix MMOs?

Actually, it looks like 20,000,000 people bought the WoW game and less than 11,000,000 people are still playing. That's a failure because they lost around 50% of their subscribers in less than .

We have heard same doom & gloom trolling when AOC, WAR, AION, were released and those games are still around, making money and provide fun to thousands of players.

Do you have sales figures on that 20,000,000 number? Cause I can provide decent evidence that STO has less that 200,000 paid accounts in total.

Your argumant also completely ignores scale and thus is a silly pastiche. If WoW had only ever gotten less than 200K subscribers, it would also be a failure. Second, WoW has been out for 5 years now. STO lost 50% of its subscriber base in three months. Third, Star Trek is a gigantic IP and the average Star Trek convention puts BlizzCon to shame. There is no excuse for a Star Trek MMO doing so poorly.

Any more silly excuses you'd wish to make?