Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New EQ2 subscription model

PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293

Kind of interesting this new program they are throwing out there.

EQ Passport Program

Basically you pay 5 bucks and get 3 days of game play. Bit of a premium if you ask me, but definitely nice to hop on and get a fix here and there. Great for folks like me who bounce around a lot. Anyways, discuss.

Comments

• rznkainrznkain Member Posts: 539

Originally posted by Pyrostasis

EQ Passport Program

Basically you pay 5 bucks and get 3 days of game play. Bit of a premium if you ask me, but definitely nice to hop on and get a fix here and there. Great for folks like me who bounce around a lot. Anyways, discuss.

Nothing to discuss really,I thought the 25,00 WoW mount was bad but 5 dollars for 3 days play time? Are they seriously kidding me full month is 14.99 you would think if they wanted ppl to actually come back to the gae and resub they would make it at a somewhat normal rate.you shouild get right at 10 days for 5 dollars as they bill in cycles of 30 days.

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293

I agree its definitely a premium, but at the same time lets say LOTRO, EQ2, and AoC all did this. For 15 bucks I would get 9 days of play. If I broke that up over weekends it might be kind of nice to have that type of fluidity.

I cant tell you how many times I have resubbed to a MMO to try out some new feature or whatnot only to play less than 3 days and lose the rest of the cash.

How bout for students and parents?

Your kid spends to much time on the game during the week? Alright, on weekends he can play (Fri-Sunday) you do it three times a month and it equals out to 15 bucks.

• Phat_B4tPhat_B4t Member Posts: 40

I think it's a good idea.

• mokoleusmokoleus Member Posts: 142

i think any of the older mmos, should be dropping their monthly subscription fees. EQ2 could do much better if they were only charging 9.99 or something. WoW won't do it, since they own most peoples souls now, no need. honestly though, any older game shouldn't be charging the same price as new mmos. of course most new mmos are terrible, and the idea of better games being less money might go against everything SOE stands for....

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Might as well start offering people the option to pay by the hour.  That is how many games run in the eastern market and Smedly has a huge hardon for that business model.

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. 

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Originally posted by rznkain

EQ Passport Program

Nothing to discuss really,I thought the 25,00 WoW mount was bad but 5 dollars for 3 days play time? Are they seriously kidding me full month is 14.99 you would think if they wanted ppl to actually come back to the gae and resub they would make it at a somewhat normal rate.you shouild get right at 10 days for 5 dollars as they bill in cycles of 30 days.

It's not as bad as you think.

If you only have time to play 3 to 6 days a week then you are saving money. This is obviously for the very casual player. I'll admit, I've had subs to games where I've played a total of a week during the time of 2 or so months.

Now that I think about it, I have 4 subs and I really only get to play a few hours per week so I'm actually throwing money away.

However, where it would get dicey is if you suddenly had more time and wanted to play more within a month. I suppose one would just have to be confident about one's schedule knowing that in truth you might only have a few hours per week to play.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

a better option would have been $5 for 7days ; time used on any Station Access game you have/had access to. 5 for 3 days  of just EQ2 is not really all that great.

It all seems like a desperate money grab and possibly a way to make population numbers look better through bean counter sophistry.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I got this email as well and the headline in it was "Overcome your commitment issues" with this new payment model.

The only thing I could think of was, I'm not playing the game due to commitment issues, I'm not playing the game because parts of it don't offer me what I want and other games do. Namely open worlds and faster/more tactical combat. they change that and I'll gladly pay the monthly sub of $15. Giving me 3 days for 5 bucks is a ripoff. I hate when entertainment is tainted by monetary issues.

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

as people on the eq2 forums are taliing about if it was 72hours(24hx3d) for $5 then that would be awesome but its not its 3 consecutive days. How long can/do you play per day? If you only play 2 or 3 hours a day then its a ripoff plain and simple

The EQ2 new producer seems to be off to a GREAT start! image

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179

It's a paid winback trial.

It actually won't be bad for around the time of big GUs or x-pacs, players who have quit are more likely to spend 5 bucks to see how the game is changed instead of $15.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• EqvaliserEqvaliser Member Posts: 74

5$ for 3 days..  to high price to bother..

------
    Playing MMO's since my first which was Ultima online, then Anarchy online. and so on.. ;)
    Now a days im very critical before i ewen bother downloading a Free to play mmo.

• KruxKrux Member Posts: 274

There's a sucker born every minute?  I thought that term might have only applied to STO Life-Time purchasers, but with this SOE slight-of-hand, the smarter people will see this as another veiled attempt for a quick buck by SOE.

MMORPG gamers spend on average 21.0 hours per week playing the game.1 http://www.nickyee.com/daedalus/archives/000891.php

$5 is 1/3 of a $15 monthly subscription.  $5 for 3 days as opposed to $5 for 9 days (1/3 of a month)?  Comon, guys.  Your obviously getting far far less in comparison to what you should get for your dollar with this deal.  And SOE is proud of this scheme?  Well, I guess so since schemers are rarely embarassed at their escapades.

But perhaps a more reasonable approach would be something that is considered more equitable.  Pick a number from a reliable source and figure that, using my example above, mmo gamers average 3 hours/day and take that 1/3 of a subscription-base value ($5 of $15) and apply it.  So that if its 21 hours per week that is the average that a gamer plays a mmo, multiply it by 4 weeks, bringing us to 84, and a third of that is 28 hours. 

$5 for 28 hours; sure, now that's equitable.  Go ahead and make it an average of 2-hours/day at 14-hours/week; even that is far more reasonable than actually just realizing your only getting a small fraction of non-equitable entertainment value at $5 for three days versus $15 for 28-30 days.  Even for the casual, or someone holding onto a couple games, this is a silly deal.

Any way you slice it, its a bad proposition.  I only wish more mmo players, the consumers, wouldn't fall prey to shallow practices like this.

• SoludeSolude Member UncommonPosts: 691

Terrible idea.  $5, 3 consecutive days in a one month period.  Want to play a 4th day... have to wait until next month or sub for $15 a month.  If you could renew within the same month its $50/month, thats terrible.  A 72 hour sub for $5 would be great though.  Little over 2 hours per day or 8 hours on weekends, now that would be casual friendly.  This is hardcore pound out new content as fast as you can sub.

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

the concept of giving out chunks of subcription time in much smaller than 30 day chunks,  is great.

they would get FAR FAR more of my money than they have.....IF it was a reasonable price. 

so, good overall concept.....terrible price.  won't be getting anymore of MY money yet.

a dollar a day would be twice what they get from a normal subscriber, and is a much more of a realistic markup for selling smaller chunks.

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------

• nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486

Yeah, I like the idea, but with a few modifications.

Just make it $5 for 72 hours of game time.  Hardcore players can still play their 8 hours a day and still pay $15 a month, but the those of us who maybe play 2 hours a night or are the "weekend warrior" types would greatly benefit from a pay for time type model.  They use this model for games over in China & Korea from what I understand, and people can buy time cards at convenience stores and whatnot.  This would help out those who don't have credit cards also.

Hey SOE... good idea!  Horrible execution!  Bravo, bravo. *golf clap*

• green13green13 Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

$5 for 3 days of play certainly seems like a rip-off to me, but...

I think the key thing here is choice.

For some players that may be a good option. If they're still going to provide the $15 a month option and offer this on the side, I don't see how that could be bad for anyone.

Though personally I'm not a fan of their subscription model in general (i.e. subscription + item mall) and I do find the "3 consecutive days per 30 day period" limitation somewhat odd.

• choujiofkonochoujiofkono Member Posts: 852

Ripoff. 

People who go for this are going to further poison the MMO genre exactly as the people who pay micropaymets and still pay the monthly fees. 

It's plain to see that they are going to try to get you intrested in 3 days and peoples addiction is going to make them pay for a month afterwards. 

The more wiz bang ideas I hear coming out of these companies the more I feel like the end of decent mmo gaming is here.

They are herding you like sheep and some of you are all too willing to jump to their every beck and call..

BAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

"I'm not cheap I'm incredibly subconsciously financially optimized"
    "The worst part of censorship is ------------------"

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Originally posted by TribeofOne

as people on the eq2 forums are taliing about if it was 72hours(24hx3d) for $5 then that would be awesome but its not its 3 consecutive days. How long can/do you play per day? If you only play 2 or 3 hours a day then its a ripoff plain and simple

The EQ2 new producer seems to be off to a GREAT start! image

Oh that's awful. I wouldn't pay for that.

I can't plan that I will have 3 consecutive days to play for a good many hours to make it worthwhile.

bah!

Though, as was said above, I don't play EQ 2 because I think Vanguard is a better game for my tastes (warts and all).

When I was comparing both and then cancelled EQ 2 I said that on my exit survey. No one there probably cared but it made me feel better.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SpellforgedSpellforged Member UncommonPosts: 458

It's just a way to rip off people that lack common sense and have spare money to throw around.  For example, every 90 days World of Warcraft gives previous subscribers 17 days free to return to the game with no strings attached.  There's really no justifiable reason for charging $5 for a 3 day subscription, especially if it's not 72 hours of in-game time, but 3 subscription days.

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

maybe $5 for a week...but 3 days is really poor.

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by elocke

I got this email as well and the headline in it was "Overcome your commitment issues" with this new payment model.

The only thing I could think of was, I'm not playing the game due to commitment issues, I'm not playing the game because parts of it don't offer me what I want and other games do. Namely open worlds and faster/more tactical combat. they change that and I'll gladly pay the monthly sub of $15. Giving me 3 days for 5 bucks is a ripoff. I hate when entertainment is tainted by monetary issues.

Naturally... They have to make it sound like there's a "problem" before they can offer the "solution".  That's typical marketing.

I've seen that angle before.. people only playing because they feel they "have to commit time to the game because they're paying a subscription fee". If anyone *truly* feels that way... well.. I'd say they have completel and totally missed the point of why you (you in general) play a game - to have fun. Just as the reason you continue to play a game is because you want to continue having fun. If you're not having fun, and are only playing because you "feel committed to", then I would suggest taking a step back and re-evaluating the situation.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• mehhemmehhem Member Posts: 653

I'd definitely sign up for 72 hours of gameplay for 5 bucks.  Hell I probaby dont' even play 72 hours a month on every game I'm playing!

• KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452

Originally posted by rznkain

EQ Passport Program

That was My reaction as well...It's a rip-off...I know it's only 5 bucks...But 3 days? Are they kidding...lol

Ugh...SOE...

• JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642

No matter how many shiny chachkis SOE throws in noone is going for this. Players know the difference between 3 and 30 and 5 and 15. 

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• dagon3dagon3 Member Posts: 117

This is what it says it should be used for on there website 8)

http://everquest2.station.sony.com/get_the_game/passport

LOL