Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Improved alot but still feels like a solo game

2»

Comments

• It feeling like a single-player game was the biggest gripe for me too. The classes were fun and the graphics great, but I just felt that I will tire of solo grinding to level cap pretty quickly.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by VultureSkull

Yeah the consequence of dying in AoC is almost nil, even if you do not pick up your corpse stone.

Since I always used to die surrounded by mobs, picking up the corpseo stone was always problematic. Though I don't reall recall what happens if you don't pick it up. I think there is a sickness that makes you less effective?

Not much.  seemed like it came out to be less dps and damage mitigation.  It seemed to be less than the DP's of most games.  But they also stack, so if you die several times, the debuff is much more significant.  Also, the timer stops when you log out, so you can't just wait it out by switching toons.  I recall the "pile-on" mobs of the upper levels making it mostly worthless to try to retreive the stone, especially with the new "overwhelm" mechanic from .05...

• MMOrUSMMOrUS Member Posts: 414

Originally posted by cujo603

I got the game when it first came out but it seemed buggy and half finished.  Just came back and leveled a couple classes to 22 or so. The game plays very nice now only a few graphical bugs. It just seems like alot of other games, like eq 2 , lotr, and wow, mainly a solo grind with very little teaming.

It's ppl like this that make it so damned hard to find grps within a good MMO, they go into the game with the sole purpose of not wanting to grp, and then they complain the game is "Too Solo", what a crock, I shout for grps all the time but like so many times get nothing, everyone wants to do their own thing and ignore all the cool quests or dungeons that actually need a group to complete.

Sure the game has solo elements, heck every MMO has them, but it also has alot of grp elements to, but so many ppl want to ignore them and just play all by their lonesome, how bloody sad is that.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

Originally posted by Robsolf

Yeah the consequence of dying in AoC is almost nil, even if you do not pick up your corpse stone.

Since I always used to die surrounded by mobs, picking up the corpseo stone was always problematic. Though I don't reall recall what happens if you don't pick it up. I think there is a sickness that makes you less effective?

Not much.  seemed like it came out to be less dps and damage mitigation.  It seemed to be less than the DP's of most games.  But they also stack, so if you die several times, the debuff is much more significant.  Also, the timer stops when you log out, so you can't just wait it out by switching toons.  I recall the "pile-on" mobs of the upper levels making it mostly worthless to try to retreive the stone, especially with the new "overwhelm" mechanic from .05...

Yeah, that was it. I recall climbing some sort of structure in one of the instances associated with Tortage where there were demons up top. I would eventually be overwhelmed and would go back only to be overwhelmed again.

For me, death penalty is not really about being punished because I do feel the sense of failure so well. So things like xp debt aren't very stinging. Money debt is stinging because I hate making money in these games.

And running long distances is really stinging. If I had xp debt and a shorter way to run that would be less stinging than giving me a longer way to run.

Last night during Champions Online, there was a barricade area where these radioactive mobs are constantly rushing it. So I wade in and get ovewhelmed a few times and then said "screw it I'll do something else" rather than run back again.

Hate running.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • sylacussylacus Member Posts: 17

After Tortage grouping is much more effective :)

My return to AoC has been a completely different from my beta/launch days.

Having fun so far and having decent graphics in a mmo game is nice :).

My guild moved from WoW, because of the lack of new content coming out for wow while it cash farms us for cata.

(Strictly an opinion.)

It is nice to have a game that does feel quite a different from WoW, combat wise. I do enjoy the mature theme and hoping by the time I reach max level and do some of the content the x pack will come out and give me even more to do.

At some point I will do a write up for my return to AoC.

Is it worth checking out again? Yes. If you haven't played since launch or beta... much more stable.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

Originally posted by MMOrUS

I got the game when it first came out but it seemed buggy and half finished.  Just came back and leveled a couple classes to 22 or so. The game plays very nice now only a few graphical bugs. It just seems like alot of other games, like eq 2 , lotr, and wow, mainly a solo grind with very little teaming.

It's ppl like this that make it so damned hard to find grps within a good MMO, they go into the game with the sole purpose of not wanting to grp, and then they complain the game is "Too Solo", what a crock, I shout for grps all the time but like so many times get nothing, everyone wants to do their own thing and ignore all the cool quests or dungeons that actually need a group to complete.

Sure the game has solo elements, heck every MMO has them, but it also has alot of grp elements to, but so many ppl want to ignore them and just play all by their lonesome, how bloody sad is that.

That's not the player's fault, it's the poor game design.

Groups (if they're all of the correct level) tend to offer more risk then soloing. This is because if one person screws something up it could wipe the group which means time wasted. It also tends to take longer as you get everyone together, go through the motions, wait for afk this and afk that. It can become a significant hassle.

So if there aren't enough options to reduce that hassle, and a player can quickly solo up without all the headaches, then a player is going to choose soloing. Players will always choose the path of least resistance on the way to the top. If a game makes it so that faster/easier path is through grouping, then more people group.

I love the thought of grouping in MMOs, but I find now a days (unlike days in the past where MMO playing was done by a specific type of gamer, not the modern day everytype of gamer) grouping can be frustrating a lot of the time. Too many people join a group and then have to go 10 minutes later because they clearly have no concept of time. People who are doing healing suddenly wander off to deal with their kid they are doing a terribly job of parenting and the whole group dies, etc etc etc. So I find in most games I test out how easy it is to solo to the top, if it's pretty easy then that's what I do and I group for end game or for pvp.

My above statements are all MMO general not AoC specific. However I am a couple days into the AoC trial and haven't grouped yet, nor have I been invited into a group or seen a chat statement of someone looking for a group at my level.

• sidfusidfu Member Posts: 170

Reluctantly decided to cancel today.  Just cant see paying a subscription to play solo.  Really like the game play and world alot though.  I can recommend this game to anyone who likes to solo alot.

sigh seems like 99% the people in this thread are posting their opinions a bout the game from a year and half ago that are pretty much wrong.

1. only reason it feels like a solo game is because of the lower pop at lower lvls is all.

2.not anyone cant tank. if u saying that anyone can tank any instance guess u havent even realy did a instance then have u.

3.there tons of instances dont forget there are 3 types: epic outdoor,team instance, and raid.

• sylacussylacus Member Posts: 17

Oh also AoC has something called global chat. I am on Set server and it is always active with people looking for groups and raids.... although it def. is for mid to higher levels... its at least nice to see people trying to put stuff together.

• ZyonneZyonne Member Posts: 259

If you can find a group to play with regularly and do the adventuring areas in elite mode instead of normal mode, AoC is a lot of fun for those that prefer a challenge and playing in a group. However, since the xp per hour is better in normal mode, and the extra loot from epic mode isn't necessary, most players aren't eager to do this. If you really want to try having a good grouping experience before giving up on the game, I suggest looking for players willing to play the game in "epic mode" with you, though.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Robsolf

Yep it's more about how much you die rather than if you die. The normal debuff is -1 to your dmg and defensive abilities. One debuff isn't much to worry about. However, If say you have 3-4 debuffs you will be much less effective.

You're also right that if you drop in a highly populated area it's pointless to try and retrieve it without a group.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Kungaloosh1Kungaloosh1 Member Posts: 260

A person might have an argument if this game was like eq1 where it was virtually impossible to solo at later levels, forcing you into groups.

They have made a game where it is possible to get to the top alone so that if you can't or won't group you aren't screwed.

Times have changed and the majority of mmo players just don't feel like grouping anymore.

As many others have said, if you want regular groups in mmos you really need to A)make some friends and B)join a guild that promotes gouping.

This is not age of conan's fault, it is your own.

• AceundorAceundor Member Posts: 482

Originally posted by Kungaloosh1

A person might have an argument if this game was like eq1 where it was virtually impossible to solo at later levels, forcing you into groups.

They have made a game where it is possible to get to the top alone so that if you can't or won't group you aren't screwed.

Times have changed and the majority of mmo players just don't feel like grouping anymore.

As many others have said, if you want regular groups in mmos you really need to A)make some friends and B)join a guild that promotes gouping.

This is not age of conan's fault, it is your own.

QFT: Even vanilla wow was like that. Post lvl 40 you had to do group dungeons or grind, grind, grind. There werent really any solo quests that would take you to lvl 60 at that time.

That was the main reason I quit. Guess a lot of players are like me and the game companies have accepted that.

its a brand new (mmo) world!

:-p

Originally posted by BishopB:

Are a lot of the trolls just angry kids with old gaming hardware?