Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another really good "I quit" thread...

Comments

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by gholston
    http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=151384

This one has the standard lifers defending the game. I thought the OP did a damn good job hammering Cryptic  :)
    It has really been a psychology lesson of sorts as to how attached people are to their "investments". The lifers still defend this game to the death and it absolutely amazes me.

Another 'Some random emo guy is quitting the <insert the game name here>' thread.

They are all the same.

/yawn

• AdamaiAdamai Member UncommonPosts: 476

Originally posted by Xondar123

Originally posted by Jorikuza

I don't see why people persist on spewing so much negativity towards this game. I bet you if CCP had made STO, and made the EXACT same game, it would've recieved much better reviews.

I seriously, seriously doubt that. If any company made this crap pile of a game that company would have been laughed out of the MMO industry in the same manner Cryptic is. How do I nknow this? Because I'm a huge City of Heroes fan. Look at my XFire profile in my sig, look at my screenshot gallery, I love my CoH. Based on City of Heroes alone, I was excited that Cryptic was making STO. Based on City of Heroes I was hoping this game would be as fun and unique as I've found City of Heroes to be.

But, as I learned more and more about STO I knew more and more that this game would not be close to the standards set by CoH, it wouldn't be close to the standards set by any game, this game was simply going to be lacking. I tried my hardest to influence Cryptic in the direction I thought would be good for STO. When the only STO info coming out of Cryptic was nothing but combat, combat, combat I posted a thread on the official forums listing about 12 classic episodes of Star Trek that don't feature a single bit of combat ("The Trouble With Tribbles," "City on the Edge of Forever," "The Inner Light," "The Measure of a Man," "Duet," "The Visitor," etc) and I begged, pleaded for the Cryptic devs to watch these episodes and use them as a guide to making a Star Trek MMO and to realize that Star Trek is not all about combat. They didn't listen, they made a game focused almost solely on combat. And now one of the biggest complaints against STO is that it "doesn't feel like Star Trek" and the Cryptic devs are hurt because of this criticism!

If CCP, or Blizzard, or Bioware made this sad, sad excuse for an MMO I would be in the front line with a pitchfork and torch.

I do not play STO, I tried the beta and it wasn't for me, wasn't bad, just not for me. I' am not a fanboy of STO as you would like to label me.

ccp would have never of dreamed of releasing a game so unfinished, and if any one even speaks of how eve online was when it was first invisioned i would like to take the time to point out just how old eve is. when that game was released it had more content was more massive had more capabilities and gripped its player base firmly.  also the internet was only just becoming a serious matter in our every day lives.

with todays tech and programming wizardry, you would have though that the boys at cryptic having been given the opportunity of a life time to work with one of if not the greatest sci-fi name in history, could have given us something special.

but they didnt!!!!

what we got was city of heroes, we even got city of heroes music in the bar areas on starbase one, if you dont believe me go and listen for your self, the game looks and feels and plays like city of heroes the charecter creation works and feels like city of heroes. its about as playable as city of heroes and its as instanced as city of heroes, infact city of heroes is far far far more persistant than sto. city of heroes looks better too.

i think we have all been had by this utterly desturbing excuse for a startrek game, what a waste of money. it was awarded the title as THE MOST ANTICIPATED, for all of you cryptic fans that dont fully understand what that means, translated - waited for the longest knowing it had to be done sooner or later. only cryptic could have won that reward because only cryptic was making that game.

for the lov e of god! bridge commander has more potential than the new sto does. and bridge commander by my reckoning is what ? 8 years old 9 years old, bridge commander has more content too lol and looks better and smoother. even when you could take part in the multi player battles online.

sto is like freelancer but requires less skill to play. it has less controls and far less content. sto is everything it shouldnt be.

cryptic could have done them selves juctice by takeing a look at the likes of eve-online and saying hmm, how can we make a game that works that well, but isnt a sandbox. how can we make a world that vast and explorable with out boreing our short term players, how can we  make a good compelling story line with some excellent opportunities for the players to feed off of it.

instead they made you a P2P and they stuck a god damn store in too. now your buying the game twice maybe even three times. you cannot sell a game for 50 bucks then charge 10 bucks a month and then expect players to buy things from an online store too and  and!!!!! to put the final nail in the coffin deliver possibly the worst ever game to be created in the last 5 years under the best and most sort after name a games developer could ever wish to aquire.

i hate to say this cryptic! but you really really really screwed thsi one up. :(  they could have had the next best thing in the gameing world the next big earner.  it could have been the next wow in terms of poppularity size speed of growth  and income for the company.   dont worry folks im not defending wow, i still hate that game, but you have to give the devs credits where its due, it is the biggest earner it does or has had the most subscribers and the biggeest community in history as far as online games go.  and im going to kick myself for saying this, the game works well for the majority of its player base.

when i logged into star trek online i was expecting to be a starship captain. and able to take my craft and crew into space and go where i please and found and discover strange new worlds and strange new races. to find myself in an infinte black  abyss with only one thing to do. discover!

what i got was a startrek themed chat room which fealt like a battle lobby for command and conquer. you sit there for a while find a team and enter your mission instance. every mission is instanced. every encounter is instanced. there is nothing persistant about the game. there is no exploration and absolutely no discovery. its all laid out before you enter sector space that you can see before you get there.  the types of exploration they gave you is a little shoe box which is sqaure shaped with random contact spawns which you have to scan.  these scans will tell you if its an anomoloy or a system.

if its a system you can enter it and see whats to do. its either land on the planet and scan 5 things and leave, or its go buy trade items for the planet and leave or its kill a few bad guys in orbit around a planet. thats as far as exploration goes. oh and dont let me forget to tell you, they are all the ex act same, their is like 10 maybe 20 types of exploration scan points, and they repeat and repeat and repeat and repeat and repeat. crap crap crap crap crap.  eve-online has exploration in space down to a T as far as space games can go so far.

startrek online crafting = hahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahaha, give me a jocking break PLEASE!!!

you can complete startrek online and reach max level and have all the best items in the game in no more than 3 weeks. some more dedicated players have done it in 1-2 weeks. after 2-3 weeks you will spend another 2 weeks maybe a bit longer depending on how resourcefull your startrek love is before you finally cancel your subs and leave the game for something that offers you entertainment on a wider scale. like going back to wow for arguements sake hahaha.

such a wank game cryptic. terrible!

• bstiffbstiff Member Posts: 359

Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by gholston

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=151384

This one has the standard lifers defending the game. I thought the OP did a damn good job hammering Cryptic  :)

It has really been a psychology lesson of sorts as to how attached people are to their "investments". The lifers still defend this game to the death and it absolutely amazes me.

Another 'Some random emo guy is quitting the ' thread.

They are all the same.

/yawn

unless you're a lifer apparently:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=152054

Originally posted by bstiff

Ahh, this is nice to read and very refreshing. Constructive feedback as it should be.

Wish trolls here were as reasonable as this poster...

• BenedictXVBenedictXV Member Posts: 104

Zomg! The whole STO story is starting to sound like a bad joke. I caught myself thinking that Cryptic hyped the game so bad and now the failure they created is being hyped all over the net!

As of seeing the STO forum post, full of angry life timer that don't want to admit the failure of the game and that they invested money in that to get nothing in return or a really small token.

And as for Cryptic, i'll never buy a single game from that studio ever.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Ahh, this is nice to read and very refreshing. Constructive feedback as it should be.

Sometimes - the sky does fall. Sometimes - there is a wolf.

Just ask the fans of SWG, TR, and Hellgate:London.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Sometimes - the sky does fall. Sometimes - there is a wolf.

It has nothing to do with the legitimacy of the gloom & doom trolling.

It just a statistical necessity if I troll everything about every game on the market, I will hit the jackpot at some point.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

If they were, they'd not be trolls, now would they? image

At least some of the people over at Cryptic had to know(or strongly suspect) that the current design and implimentation for STO was sub standard.  But it was allowed to launch any way. It could have been any number of internal/external dynamics, but the fact remains that the game as it exists today, is far away from a fun, entertaining game that would keep people subscribed.  Taking a great IP like Startrek and coming out with something like STO is a total waste of its potential.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • lavosslayerlavosslayer Member Posts: 55

I am a lifer in STO and I totally feel duped. I really thought they could pull this game out of the muck that it launched in but I still have yet to be encouraged. I was hoping it would be as epic as LOTRO (the other game I am a lifer in) however that is totally not the case. The story is mediocre at best and the leveling is just pitheticly simple and quick. Also the fact that so many things were "supposed" to be in the game at launch and then the last 2 months leading into launch almost everything they were saying was going to be in the game was completely opposite at launch. Klingons weren't a completed faction, skill system got a cap, many of the systems were broken or just plain stupid such as crafting and Bridge Officer Training. 

Regardless, I'm not gonna shrug off the fact that I made a bad financial decision that I will have to live with. But since I haven't touched the game in over a month due to disinterest, I don't see myself being able to be marginally satisfied with it anytime soon.

Originally posted by lavosslayer

I am a lifer in STO and I totally feel duped. I really thought they could pull this game out of the muck that it launched in but I still have yet to be encouraged. I was hoping it would be as epic as LOTRO (the other game I am a lifer in) however that is totally not the case. The story is mediocre at best and the leveling is just pitheticly simple and quick.

This is totally baffling. You have been a member here since'06, and you thought this game would turn out anything like LOTRO?

You never read any of the threads about the simple design, the lack of focus on Trek fans, the Cryptic business model?

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• lavosslayerlavosslayer Member Posts: 55

I am a lifer in STO and I totally feel duped. I really thought they could pull this game out of the muck that it launched in but I still have yet to be encouraged. I was hoping it would be as epic as LOTRO (the other game I am a lifer in) however that is totally not the case. The story is mediocre at best and the leveling is just pitheticly simple and quick.

This is totally baffling. You have been a member here since'06, and you thought this game would turn out anything like LOTRO?

You never read any of the threads about the simple design, the lack of focus on Trek fans, the Cryptic business model?

I did read alot of things and was even in closed and open beta. Back then alot of things were different, and more fun. The big changes made happened towards the end of beta and I really really wanted to believe that this game would turn around. I love Star Trek and really wanted to see the potential of the IP realized. Unfortunately it still hasn't and I doubt it ever will. I didn't just come to the revelation of being duped just now, its been a feeling I have had since the 45 day patch failed to address some of the really major issues with the game. Up until that point I had all the hope in the world that they might be able to pull it off.

Also, using my join date as a basis for what you think I should have realized is a meaningless assertion and assumption that I actually visit this website that often. Prior to STO I jumped on this site maybe once or twice a month but usually stay away because I hate hype leading into a launch of a game. I like to get into some of the testing phases and see where the game is and what issues might arise in the future. The only issues I ever had with STO in beta was the difficulty was very erratic making some thing insanely easy and others near impossible. Anyway, don't chastise me for admitting my own failure, in this community, admitting there is a problem with a choice you made is one of the hardest things to do because either you get flamed for being a lifer and hoping or you get flamed for not sticking to your guns. I'm sure those flames are on their way....be gentle...please...I think I've taken enough of a beating from Cryptic already

Originally posted by Wraithone

At least some of the people over at Cryptic had to know(or strongly suspect) that the current design and implimentation for STO was sub standard.  But it was allowed to launch any way. It could have been any number of internal/external dynamics, but the fact remains that the game as it exists today, is far away from a fun, entertaining game that would keep people subscribed.  Taking a great IP like Startrek and coming out with something like STO is a total waste of its potential.

I completely agree.

I bet you like the C-Store, though.  ;)

I think Cryptic openly spoke about their wish to have more time for game development but they had to release. There are release dates pushing like in any other business.

While this is only up to individual consideration, the game is good enough to be worth the retail price, imo and whether you want to subscribe, you have enough game time packed along with your retail purchase.

Once I find the game no more entertaining, I will not renew my subscription. This is the same as with any other game on the market thus all is fine.

It is no more complicated than that.

Could Star Trek IP be great base for 'epic' space game? Sure, it could.
    Though, that does not set any premise for what the game is supposed to be like.

IP is nothing more than lore and visuals. They could use Star Trek IP and make a Rocquetball game, Mario-like arcade or RTS out of it.

• VotanVotan Member UncommonPosts: 291

After what Cryptic did with Champions, you thought they would do something different with STO? 

There was a ton of information about what a POC game STO was prior to launch.  There was a ton of information about what a POC Champions was.   And Cryptic is not done releasing POC games either, they have another in the works some of these same people will also buy that, probably with a lifetime and then once again be on the boards complaining about feeling ripped off :P

With the exception of LotR, any game that has offers lifetime subs should scream at you this game is going to suck.

Funny if the same post was written by a montly sub it wouldn't have gotten the same response.  Trolls where? The only ones here I've seen lately are the ones that just showed up over the last couple of days.

Funny if the same post was written by a montly sub it wouldn't have gotten the same response. 

Did you even read them or they are just 'I quit posts' regardless and as such you put them in your propaganda bag?

Funny if the same post was written by a montly sub it wouldn't have gotten the same response. 

Did you even read them or they are just 'I quit posts' regardless and as such you put them in your propaganda bag?

What?

I completely agree.

I bet you like the C-Store, though.  ;)

Possible, what does it have in it? ^^

Possible, what does it have in it? ^^

He does not know, he only knows that cash shops are ebil...
  • championsFanchampionsFan Member Posts: 419

I am a lifer in STO and I totally feel duped. 

To say you were duped implies that you were deceived, but there was plenty of opportunity to try the game.   The lengthy open beta, the reviews at the major sites,  there was plenty of information about the game.

It is not right to buy an LTS based on pure hope that the game will get better, and then later complain about deception.  Lifers chose to have hope for a positive outcome, even though all the rational signs pointed to that being unlikely, it wasn't deception at all.  

I bought my Champions LTS based on already liking the game enough at launch, it wasn't based on any hope for future updates.   I am sympathetic to people regreting their STO LTS, and I wish you guys could get refunds, but the lesson is to only buy an LTS based on substance rather than hope.  

Edit: I saw a later post where you explain feeling deceived over the directions and extent of progress in open and closed beta, which is more understandable.  But still, they key is to see through to the core of the game.   I am an ST fan and a Cryptic fan, and when I launched STO Closed Beta in the first few minutes I knew that there were deep, deep problems at the core of the game.   Not the type of problems that can be fixed by the Cryptic I know.

Cryptic is trying a Customer Development approach to MMO creation.

• Echo08Echo08 Member Posts: 55

Bill Roper, Craig Zinkievich, Derek Smart, Richard Garriot, and Uwe Boll are stranded on a island....

( So... how does the rest of this joke go? )image

• BetabooBetaboo Member Posts: 384

Originally posted by Echo08

Bill Roper, Craig Zinkievich, Derek Smart, Richard Garriot, and Uwe Boll are stranded on a island....

( So... how does the rest of this joke go? )image

Butthurt fans on the other side of the island decided to play lord of the flies and  nothing is ever heard from them again--not even their bones.

Hmmm, let me think:

Respecs

Character slots

Playable races

Ship designs

Emotes

Have I missed anything?

Hmmm, let me think:

Respecs

Character slots

Playable races

Ship designs

Emotes

Have I missed anything?

What? No I Win Button?? I'm shocked! ^^

• JpizzleJpizzle Member Posts: 371

Could Star Trek IP be great base for 'epic' space game? Sure, it could.
    Though, that does not set any premise for what the game is supposed to be like.

IP is nothing more than lore and visuals. They could use Star Trek IP and make a Rocquetball game, Mario-like arcade or RTS out of it.

Yet they still failed to really do shit w/ the IP. They didn't go for campy. They went for (or at least the expectation of 90% of mmo gamers out there) a virtual universe based on a rich and expansive lore.

Even when an IP is used for a campy type rendition, it can be well received and still be outside the norm for the IP. Blood Bowl, for example, is a wonderfully fun football game... based on Warhammer.

Craptic came up way way way short. You may think it's fun, but you're in a very tiny minority. Look at CO. Do people still paly it? Yea, but no where near the amount that bought it.

It'd be different if only a few people bought it and stuck w/ it. Just like w/ STO, lots of people bought it and most people are disappointed in it. The coverage post launch in less then 3 months shows that. Websites will cover community issues, small details regarding in-game events. Basically anything that gets them clicks. Craptic games don't get clicks post launch.