Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what are wow clones?

grafhgrafh Member UncommonPosts: 320

How many people actually think that there are clones of WoW? if you do think there are WoW clones, can you please list a few?

the reason i ask is because i dont know what a WoW clone is since WoW pretty much got alot of its game mechanics from other games. i currently feel that the term "WoW clone" is being used way to loosly and the people using it annoy me for some strange reason lol. its like everygame thats came out since WoW has been a  "WoW clone" at one point in time, and i cant help but wonder if these people have any sort of intelligence.  maybe they just havent been playing mmo's long enough to understand...

any thoughts or ideas or comments are appreciated.

Comments

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

So you want an example of a wow clone? Look up Alganon.

• kevin_123kevin_123 Member Posts: 52

Originally posted by grafh

How many people actually think that there are clones of WoW? if you do think there are WoW clones, can you please list a few?

the reason i ask is because i dont know what a WoW clone is since WoW pretty much got alot of its game mechanics from other games. i currently feel that the term "WoW clone" is being used way to loosly and the people using it annoy me for some strange reason lol. its like everygame thats came out since WoW has been a  "WoW clone" at one point in time, and i cant help but wonder if these people have any sort of intelligence.  maybe they just havent been playing mmo's long enough to understand...

any thoughts or ideas or comments are appreciated.

I could be wrong, but I think it's more to do with, after wow came along other companies saw WOWs huge success and started creating very similar games. I saw a game recently and it looked EXCACTLY like wow (but it wasn't) excactly same map in top corner, same hotkeys middle bottom etc.

That's what I think anyway - Also to do with games all wanting to do the same thing and not 'break the mould'

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Unlike all the others, I am sure this thread will end with a definitive answer upon which we all agree.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

We've done this topic to death, look it up if you like.  Short cut would be to see Runes of Magic, WAR, or any other game which tries to appeal to the casual market with similar game play as WOW.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GentiGenti Member Posts: 11

There are no wow clones cause if there were they would be succesful, all you see out there is games trying to be wow clones but failing. Clone means the same look and I bet you any game that was same as wow would be popular by now.

Samurai

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by Genti
    There are no wow clones cause if there were they would be succesful, all you see out there is games trying to be wow clones but failing. Clone means the same look and I bet you any game that was same as wow would be popular by now.

Right on target! Exactly. Makes you wonder why people use it as a curse instead of pointing fingers at the supposed "WoW" clones and going hhahaha, suckers, you still don't get it, you still haven't figured out what it is about WoW that makes it WoW.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

The game that looked and played a lot like wow was alganon but derek is changing the game to make it less wow like.

Runes of magic has some features wow doesn't have (dual class, housing) so it's not that much of a wow clone.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

gamers also use the term "wow clone" loosely

I bet many would call Dark Age of Camelot a WOW clone (if they tried it now)

- even tho the game existed 2 years before wow

• Musket-SquidMusket-Squid Member UncommonPosts: 386

What makes WOW so popular is all the fanatics  that are blind to the instance and kiddie gameplay that it brings. People are lazy and want instant gratification now. Wont be long till the rmt takes over wow and you can kill the bosses if you paid for that service. As it is now any game that has a feature that is similar to wow is labeled a wow clone and hounded till it fails regardless if the game is good or bad. Some games can recover but a lot of them can't. Look at VG it's not a bad game but it will never be what it could or should have been. Most of the problem is that a person can't take that a game is bad and has to bash it every chance they get. Much like i do wow if i can lol.

How many delicate flowers have you met in Counterstrike?

I got a case of beer and a chainsaw waiting for me at home after work.

• NeonShadowNeonShadow Member UncommonPosts: 326

At first the "WoW clones" were nothing but EQ clones, seeing how WoW was nothing but an EQ clone itself during the vanilla years. Now WoW clones are games that look exactly like WoW. They ape gameplay elements, the terrible art etc.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

There are two meanings to "WoW" clone.

One is a game that basically tries to be as much like WoW as it possibly can. Good examples are Allods and Alganon.

Another is a game that, while perhaps looking and feeling different than WOW, is really just another generic fantasy "quest-to-level" , "raid at end game" thing we have seen so many times before. But since WoW didn't invent that genre, I don't know why people call it a WoW clone when it could also be a clone of a lot of other games before WoW. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• IlvaldyrIlvaldyr Member CommonPosts: 2,142

Mutable term used as a pejorative by people who dislike themepark games.

Playing: EVE, Final Fantasy 13, Uncharted 2, Need for Speed: Shift
  • drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

when the graphic looks too much like it is one case(allods)some consider runes of magic to be one .mm i really dont see anything that makes this a wow clone .gw clone,in some area (dual skill)silkroad clone maybe(castle siege)guild wars clone maybe again(instanced dungeon)the graphic are cartoony but the style is completely different.

but when gamer see primary color in game they re like ho dam another wow copy

if they had bothered to play it they would see nothing wowish was in those game

blizzard copy other other copy blizzard ,hell some even take part of wow game and put it in theirs

if you played perfect world countless place can be seen where you re baffled and say wtf a wink at blizzard

but even tho it happens it makes me crack a smile because the situation they are in is completelly goofy

i think in pw they use blizzard as a cirque du soleil of the mmo world

(blizzard is the but of pw joke,at least it seemed that way to me,grin)

• PoopyStuffPoopyStuff Member Posts: 297

wow clone - any mmorpg that has a basic class systemskill systemlevel system with your standard fetch quests and most good content takes place after you max level

Ie.  wow clone - a game that sucks.

• dar_es_balatdar_es_balat Member Posts: 438

Folks seem to easily forget that WoW when it was first released was just a knockoff of Asheron's Call 2, with greater franchise recognition, and endgame orgainized "raiding" made an official part of the game rather than a loosely structured player construct.

Crappy, petty people breed and raise crappy, petty kids.

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

I think they aren't successful because they are clones. People already have their 80's in WoW, so why play a game that is basically the same. On top of that losing all that gear, of course people will play the original.

• uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

Alganon is as much a WoW clone...

as WoW is an EQ1 clone...

so Alganon is an EQ1 clone

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

• risenbonesrisenbones Member Posts: 194

It all depends on the person who is using the term "WOW clone".  For some to be a "WOW Clone" all you need is a bunch of quests.  For others if you have a certain art style they will slap the "WOW clone" sticker on you.  Having any instances for PvE or PvP will do the same.  Since most games have some of those elements those who just pop in and scan the basic systems will walk away and call you a "WOW clone" evan if alot of your systems are very different.

As to why these "WOW clones" arn't successful I would have to say it would mainly be because the vast majority of people who played WOW didn't do so at launch but rather they picked it up after a year or more of it being released.  Sure at launch it had alot of people but it was nothing close to the over 10 million people it has now not to mention the millions who have played it and left.  The result it's pretty safe to say that these people are not going to be willing to put up with the 12 months or so of bugs and crashes that come with the inevitable launch of an MMO and the typical delay of fixes to the quite complex beast that an MMO is.  The market is different now people are alot less forgiving and much more impatient while at the same time continue to be quite naive in believing all the marketting hype.

The lesser of two evils is still evil.

There is nothing more dangerous than a true believer.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Successful as the original or not, it's completely irrelevant. A clone is a clone.

If EQ had of been more popular/successful (it topped out at 450K), then we'd be calling them EQ clones. Considering that during it's heyday it was the nerd's nerd game, most people don't have a clue what the game was/is. WOW, up until it's recent halt in growth, has been an ever-growing monster that everyone and their sister knows about. Hence the coined term "WOW clone".

The term is mainstream now guys so you may just want to let it go. No matter how annoying or insulting you find it, focus your energy someplace else. No one is ever going to label the ocean of crap unoriginal MMOs that are trying take some of the WOW pie as EQ clones, or whatever you think they should be called.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

Originally posted by uquipu

Alganon is as much a WoW clone...

as WoW is an EQ1 clone...

so Alganon is an EQ1 clone

It goes far beyond this. For example, Alganon has a UI that it took straight out of WoW. It even has WoW's keyring and achievement panel when Alganon doesn't yet have keys or achievements. You can't get more clone-like than when you use someone else's code ...

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Originally posted by Nadia

gamers also use the term "wow clone" loosely

I bet many would call Dark Age of Camelot a WOW clone (if they tried it now)

- even tho the game existed 2 years before wow

The game existed 4 years before WoW. 

And no, no one would consider it a WoW clone because one of the key componanents to a WoW clone is a game as to be so simple that a toddler with brain damage could play it without screwing up. 

Also, DAoC has meaningful, well made PvP, WoW does not. 

DAoC also has a totally different crafting system.

DAoC has a different way of leveling up than WoW does (not a quest grind) 

Did I mention, it has real PvP? 

And the world isn't an overinstanced mesh of fast traveling, its a big seamless world. And up until recently, there was no /map. 

What WoW clones are.... 

Well first, let's get this out of the way, one of the main reasons I never ever liked WoW was because it was boring after just 4 hours. That's because it was just a complete carbon copy of EverQuest, and I was already bored with EverQuest. It didn't do ANYTHING new, not a single unique features, and still hasn't done anything new. All WoW is, is a very simple, dumbed down linear version of EverQuest, with many steps taken to remove the massive from MMORPG, via instances and number limits on people in zones. A WoW clone almost always (with some exceptions) has a focus on getting items. It's the whole point of the game, and once you've gotten all the shinies, an expanion comes out added more for those too dumb to realize that they're struggling up an endless staircase. 

So, insanely simple gameplay, linear, PvE/loot focused, shallow game design, no innovation, and you have a WoW clone. 

Quests + Levels + Instances == WoW clone

Second Life doesn't have quests or levels or instances so it's not a WoW clone.

• KremlikKremlik Member UncommonPosts: 716

Theres no such thing as a 'WoW Clone' at all - it's just the 'uninformed' not realising that 'WoW' itself is just the standard model for ALL level based MMOs past, present and future..

It's about as bad as someone going 'It's a Halo clone' at Battlefield or 'It's a Fanal Fantasy clone' at Dragon Age although that never happens but  it's the people comming into the MMO market now thinking WoW was somthing completely new and never been done before, to many gamers 'MMORPGs' didn't exsist at all until WoW broke into the console market's playerbase, so to them WoW is the 'first' MMO and to make matters worse due to it's success people continue to beleave all MMOs are trying to copy WoW down to the letter hence the term 'WoW clone'. On a side note it's also the same with the 'I'm sick of fetch/kill quests' crowd, what else can you do in questing that doesn't invole killing and/or feching?

Bottom line is as I said at the start people use that term purly as they don't understand the fact that the 'WoW' design of gameplay is and always has been the standard model for MMOs even before WoW, Blizzard just tweeked a few ideas for other titles - it's just basically lack of background knowlege of the genre

Bring on the WARRRRGGHH!

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Originally posted by Kremlik

Theres no such thing as a 'WoW Clone' at all - it's just the 'uninformed' not realising that 'WoW' itself is just the standard model for ALL level based MMOs past, present and future..

Incorrect.  If that were the case, I'd be calling things, "EverQuest" clones. But I'm not, and no one else is, because games like EQ aren't being made anymore. 

The key difference in the formula is, simplification. If something has all the soul and depth sucked out of it, and aimed at crowd pleasing mass production (ie, focusing more on sucking money out of people than making a compelling game or virtual world) you've got the biggest part of a WoW clone.

Level/gear based advancement (convenient because you can just keep extending this to keep money flowing instead of making any real content), linear zones with no possible death penalty or anything that makes you think (linear quests with map markets, invisible walls funneling you so you never end up somewhere you shouldn't be), and really simple shallow gameplay mechanics (instances, no real character development or diversification). 

WoW clones are a linear, super super casual set of mini games designed to keep people paying money. They do very little to no innovation, because WoW did no innvation past taking popular concepts and making them as simple as possible. It didn't build on anything, it just stripped things down to what makes the most money. 

EQ clones, focus on virtual living worlds, social interaction, and a dangerous surrounding encouraging people to band together.

One is a Farmvile style game, one is a world. 

WoW Clone == game you don't like