Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New low for CDF

Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=151856

Cryptic has the gall to charge for frickin emotes, and to absolutely no one's surprise, the CDF defends this.  Is there nothing Cryptic does these people won't defend?  Do F2P games even charge for emotes?  Cryptic can't fail fast enough.

Comments

• MysticumMysticum Member UncommonPosts: 53

What is a "CDF" ?

• bstiffbstiff Member Posts: 359

Originally posted by Mysticum

What is a "CDF" ?

cryptic defense force, their particularly fanatical version of the fanboy.

Last night some guy who perceived himself as an internet lawyer was claiming that posting negative opinions on other websites was dangerously close to libel.  LOL That's only true if the statements are false. I guess they expect cryptic to start filing lawsuits against their ex customers now. That will do wonders for their corporate image.

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Well CoH does sell 'packs' which often include but are not limited to emotes. 

I dont mind buying a pack of things which might include temporary powers, extra costume features and additional emotes if the price is right!

What is the price of these emote packs?

• MysticumMysticum Member UncommonPosts: 53

Originally posted by bstiff

What is a "CDF" ?

cryptic defense force, their particularly fanatical version of the fanboy.

Ah, gotcha. Thank you. Despite being a pretty big Star Trek TNG fan, I avoided STO entirely due to Cryptic being at the helm. I played Champions Online for the free month that came with the game. That experience made add an entry for Cryptic in my little black book :) Unprofessional and incompetent, and completely out of touch with the standards and norms of modern MMOs.

• PermianPermian Member CommonPosts: 78

Charging a premium $15 a month and then also nickle and diming for really minor stuff in the store is pretty outrageous. If the subscription rate was instead $3 a month then the nickle and diming would be fairer. The emote pack is three crappy emotes and costs 120 Cryptic points which is $2 or thereabouts? A question on my mind is if you wanted that pack for more than one character would you have to buy it again? At least in COH, if you buy a booster it applies to all your characters.

, and completely out of touch with the standards and norms of modern MMOs.

I think its more like out of touch with their customers.  Most of the problems were made very clear by beta testers for months, both in STO and CO (of which I beta'ed both)

What they are trying to do with their product isnt wrong as such.. (well it maybe) but had they listened and tried to take on board what the players were saying they could easily have corrected most of these problems.

CCP were about to put in a big nerf in their product, they wanted to inact a 'quick fix'.. but with many rants and raves from the players later and CCP have stopped the nerf completly and have chosen to go down the longer and more complicated route.  Which is great, they listened, understand and decided to do something which will take longer to do but is a better for everyone.

Its this where Cryptic fails, they just seemed to have gone down the fastest route to release.. almost ignoring completly their feedback.

I truly hope that other developers learn from both these above examples and bring about a change in attitude.

Originally posted by Permian

A question on my mind is if you wanted that pack for more than one character would you have to buy it again? At least in COH, if you buy a booster it applies to all your characters.

I certainly would hope so!

$2 doesnt sound too bad.. but for just 3 emotes?..  hmm.  well, on steam they offer a new vehicle for Just cause 2 which is £0.75p..

Like it or not I think this is becoming the accepted standard for all games, not just MMO's.

The problem however for MMO's is that you almost HAVE to buy these things because they know you dont want to be left out since they are very much about showing off to others.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

"Unprofessional and incompetent, and completely out of touch with the standards and norms of modern MMOs.".  This statement sums up Cryptic completely and in as few words as possible.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

Originally posted by Permian

Charging a premium $15 a month and then also nickle and diming for really minor stuff in the store is pretty outrageous. If the subscription rate was instead $3 a month then the nickle and diming would be fairer. The emote pack is three crappy emotes and costs 120 Cryptic points which is $2 or thereabouts? A question on my mind is if you wanted that pack for more than one character would you have to buy it again? At least in COH, if you buy a booster it applies to all your characters.

I can give them this, most of the C-Store items you buy apply to all relevant characters, so if you buy a bridge pack you can add that bridge to any ship that is applicable and as for the emotes they certainly apply to all characters.  But the problem again is a vast majority of the content being released for STO is close to equal C-Store items and free content when I think the community can universally agree this is the most content lite mmo released since, well Champions Online (big surprise there).

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

Originally posted by nikoliath

Must be a slow day for some of you, or something. Cryptic selling stuff via C-Store? Whooopeee. This thread is a new low for the cryptic haters. The cheek of it hey, an emote! How can anyone bare to play without this emote, or a costume?

You guys keep kicking the hornets nest, only many of the hornets don't give a rats ass any longer. Soon there will be a new title launch for you people to hate on.

I really can not imagine how some of you folks would react in the face of a real crisis, or real bad news. But in light of this devastating news delivered in this thread I am off to make peace before the end of the world draws in, as surely it must now.

Oh yes and good lord what an end the world must be coming to, mmo players posting about games they don't like and goodness me,  some of us even post about games we even like, yes you are right the world must be coming to an end, how close are we to 2012?

If you want truly "devastating news" go to CNN but considering you are on a site dedicating to gaming you're going to read comments about gaming, and unlike watching CNN you have a choice here and since you chose to read this thread anyway I'd have to say your comment only labels you a troll considering you had to have known how we would feel and what we would be saying.

• gholstongholston Member Posts: 83

Must be a slow day for some of you, or something. Cryptic selling stuff via C-Store? Whooopeee. This thread is a new low for the cryptic haters. The cheek of it hey, an emote! How can anyone bare to play without this emote, or a costume?

You guys keep kicking the hornets nest, only many of the hornets don't give a rats ass any longer. Soon there will be a new title launch for you people to hate on.

I really can not imagine how some of you folks would react in the face of a real crisis, or real bad news. But in light of this devastating news delivered in this thread I am off to make peace before the end of the world draws in, as surely it must now.

Sorry Nik, but your attacks on other people legitimately criticizing Cryptic for charging for EMOTES after already paying 15 dollars  a month so they can log in a half hour every day and run "Dailies" is a bit absurd.

You are also attacking anyone that criticizes these practices as shallow people that somehow don't worry about Volcanoes or Terrorism because all they do is whine about Cryptic.

I actually believe your defenses are pretty sad.

• nikoliathnikoliath Member UncommonPosts: 1,154

Originally posted by jaxsundane

Oh yes and good lord what an end the world must be coming to, mmo players posting about games they don't like and goodness me,  some of us even post about games we even like, yes you are right the world must be coming to an end, how close are we to 2012?

If you want truly "devastating news" go to CNN but considering you are on a site dedicating to gaming you're going to read comments about gaming, and unlike watching CNN you have a choice here and since you chose to read this thread anyway I'd have to say your comment only labels you a troll considering you had to have known how we would feel and what we would be saying.

and the irony is you, and the op are complaining about just that; Choice. I'm as much a troll as the OP is, given his wording and title. This thread is complaining about a business, that makes and sells computer games, selling items to make money ~ vanity items at that.

Many, many things in life come with optional extras at a fee. had Cryptic started charging a fee for missions, loot, access to chat or for each login I could see the problem.

This thread was akin to kicking the ants nest so you can watch them get mad. 

and the irony is you, and the op are complaining about just that; Choice. I'm as much a troll as the OP is, given his wording and title. This thread is complaining about a business, that makes and sells computer games, selling items to make money ~ vanity items at that.

Many, many things in life come with optional extras at a fee. had Cryptic started charging a fee for missions, loot, access to chat or for each login I could see the problem.

Ok so do like most of us do, when a business is using a practice others see as a problem but you don't ignore their complaints, or state in plain english why you disagree.  You came in the post talking like we are in the wrong for commenting how we see fit about a game on a gaming site, and you are like the first person to disagree which shows you many share the opinion that the practice as used by Cryptic is wrong.  If you disagree good for you but please don't act like you are concerned by so many more important things when you are on the same gaming website as us just angry that we don't share your opinion.

Originally posted by gholston

Sorry Nik, but your attacks on other people legitimately criticizing Cryptic for charging for EMOTES after already paying 15 dollars  a month so they can log in a half hour every day and run "Dailies" is a bit absurd.

You are also attacking anyone that criticizes these practices as shallow people that somehow don't worry about Volcanoes or Terrorism because all they do is whine about Cryptic.

So you are suggesting that attacking people who do not consider it evil of cryptic to sell EXTRA emotes is ok? Calling them members of the "CDF" and accusing them of stooping to a "new low"? My how selective of you, and hypocritical.

What people choose to play and pay for is their business. I have never considered my subscription fee to be a free ticket to everything that is to come, nor as right to demand answers, content or anything from the developers.

If you had no choice but to pay for these things I would be right along side you complaining, but this is not the case you and I are free to choose as we see fit.

So you are suggesting that attacking people who do not consider it evil of cryptic to sell EXTRA emotes is ok? Calling them members of the "CDF" and accusing them of stooping to a "new low"? My how selective of you, and hypocritical.

What people choose to play and pay for is their business. I have never considered my subscription fee to be a free ticket to everything that is to come, nor as right to demand answers, content or anything from the developers.

If you had no choice but to pay for these things I would be right along side you complaining, but this is not the case you and I are free to choose as we see fit.

Nik. Did you buy a lifetime sub? Can you really be honest and say that you like the game? Deep down, you can honestly say that you think those are good business practices to nickel and dime the community after they already pay 15$ a months for a widely known sub standard gaming experience?

I'm sorry, but I think you are just being stubborn to an extent. I have never played any other MMO and been charged for, of all things, emotes. You don't find that pathetic in any way? Really?

I'm glad you feel that way but guess what we don't and shouldn't have to be set upon by you because of it.  The op speaking about the CDF means nothing to me because it doesn't point me to any one person but when you come on here and respond to my post I take exception.

It still boils down to a post being made that you don't agree with and as opposed to doing what you just did, stating factually why you disagree you decided to troll the post first.  If you left all the "wrold view" crap out of your post in the first place I would have just debated your post but you didn't you chose to go after us the people in this post, the op is going after some phantom group of people I know nothing about as far as the CDF goes but I certainly don't agree with Cryptics business practices and if I don't I will speak about it.

It's not like you've never had a complaint about a video game in your life, yet you come here and try to label others petty for expressing there displeasure?

It still sounds like people are just not allowed to disagree with you.

Ok so do like most of us do, when a business is using a practice others see as a problem but you don't ignore their complaints, or state in plain english why you disagree.  You came in the post talking like we are in the wrong for commenting how we see fit about a game on a gaming site, and you are like the first person to disagree which shows you many share the opinion that the practice as used by Cryptic is wrong.  If you disagree good for you but please don't act like you are concerned by so many more important things when you are on the same gaming website as us just angry that we don't share your opinion.

OP "Cryptic has the gall to charge for frickin emotes, and to absolutely no one's surprise, the CDF defends this.  Is there nothing Cryptic does these people won't defend?  Do F2P games even charge for emotes?  Cryptic can't fail fast enough."

That is not someone voicing a complaint, that is someone trying to stir  S H one T. The language used is one of outrage and disbelief, which are both over the top for such a trivial thing. I'm not "angry" that people disagree with me, I simply found the whole thing to be over the top.

Trying to justify the complaint by stating how many are / aren't in support of it on this site is useless. 

OP "Cryptic has the gall to charge for frickin emotes, and to absolutely no one's surprise, the CDF defends this.  Is there nothing Cryptic does these people won't defend?  Do F2P games even charge for emotes?  Cryptic can't fail fast enough."

That is not someone voicing a complaint, that is someone trying to stir  S H one T. The language used is one of outrage and disbelief, which are both over the top for such a trivial thing. I'm not "angry" that people disagree with me, I simply found the whole thing to be over the top.

Trying to justify the complaint by stating how many are / aren't in support of it on this site is useless. 

Well as I saw it some information was gained from his post I like many other posters had no idea what CDF even stood for.  And ummmm whether he was trying to stir what you said or expressing his opinion is relative to what side of the fence you stand on (though most people would say even some who disagree he is stating an opinion) kind of like your assesment of his post it is your opinion.

And again we are on a site dedicated to pixelated sprites every complaint is over the top (unless of course you happen to agree with it I guess).

The bottom line is he and we stated our opinions and since you didn't agree you trolled the post until you got your card pulled then you debated the topic in a proper manner as opposed to all the belittling you came into the post with.

• bstiffbstiff Member Posts: 359

You're the only one I see kicking an ant hill. Your post was an attempt to get everone worked up into a flame war by trolling. Oh well guess it's a slow day for you too.

Nik. Did you buy a lifetime sub? Can you really be honest and say that you like the game? Deep down, you can honestly say that you think those are good business practices to nickel and dime the community after they already pay 15$ a months for a widely known sub standard gaming experience?

I'm sorry, but I think you are just being stubborn to an extent. I have never played any other MMO and been charged for, of all things, emotes. You don't find that pathetic in any way? Really?

No I am not a lifer. I like the game but am aware of some serious issues regarding content and how some things currently work. I guess I didn't go in to STO with my head full of fantasy about what I wanted it to be like. I also understand that in all probability CBS said to cryptic if you want this licence we want a game in 2 years and 2 years only, in fact there was probably a penalty clause in that contract.

I ran my own business for 12 years, I am under no illusion about what business is about. This is not shady or bad business practice. The emotes are extra emotes, there are plenty in game ~ more than you will ever use. They do not benefit you in anyway. As I have already said, if there was no choice but to be charged for these or they were charging for essentails then yes I would agree.

• DoomsDay01DoomsDay01 Member UncommonPosts: 783

So this is cryptics fault eh? Have you noticed that many mmo's out there are doing this now? Why dont you go bitch at blizzard for selling an in game horse for $25! They made over 2 million bucks in just 4 hours of that horse going up. None of these items are something that you just HAVE to have. They are fluff items that are meant to make the company extra money. You are not forced into having to buy them at all. Feel free to bitch about it all you want, but you should really try to focus your anger on the industry itself, not onto cryptic. The way you guys are acting, its like cryptic is the only company out there that has an item store. The sad truth is, they are pretty darn cheap in the stuff they are putting up there compared to their competition. Good luck on your crusade!

• david13edavid13e Member Posts: 50

Originally posted by bstiff

You're the only one I see kicking an ant hill. Your post was an attempt to get everone worked up into a flame war by trolling. Oh well guess it's a slow day for you too.

STO servers are offline for maintanance.   Slow day for a few anyways.

No I am not a lifer. I like the game but am aware of some serious issues regarding content and how some things currently work. I guess I didn't go in to STO with my head full of fantasy about what I wanted it to be like. I also understand that in all probability CBS said to cryptic if you want this licence we want a game in 2 years and 2 years only, in fact there was probably a penalty clause in that contract.

I ran my own business for 12 years, I am under no illusion about what business is about. This is not shady or bad business practice. The emotes are extra emotes, there are plenty in game ~ more than you will ever use. They do not benefit you in anyway. As I have already said, if there was no choice but to be charged for these or they were charging for essentails then yes I would agree.

Fair enough. I do agree with you that it is the choice of the consumer whether or not to buy them. I guess after playing Eve for 3+ years I've gotten used to having everything for the 15 dollars a month I already pay.

I just find it pretty tacky and think it's kind of a desperation attempt to collect more money.

Fortunately for me, I choose not to participate. I don't think I could bring myself to even be a customer to a company that does business like this. To each his own though.

Originally posted by DoomsDay01

So this is cryptics fault eh? Have you noticed that many mmo's out there are doing this now? Why dont you go bitch at blizzard for selling an in game horse for $25! They made over 2 million bucks in just 4 hours of that horse going up. None of these items are something that you just HAVE to have. They are fluff items that are meant to make the company extra money. You are not forced into having to buy them at all. Feel free to bitch about it all you want, but you should really try to focus your anger on the industry itself, not onto cryptic. The way you guys are acting, its like cryptic is the only company out there that has an item store. The sad truth is, they are pretty darn cheap in the stuff they are putting up there compared to their competition. Good luck on your crusade!

Because I don't play WOW and I don't even have a problem with the practice of having an item shop, if you actually read the posts before Nik started the flame war you would see that.  My problem is with a company that releases the most content lite and boring game of the millenium and then releasing almost half of the items as cash shop items.  Really read the entire post first.

If everygame on the market had as much content as Blizzard I would have no problem with vanity items in a cash shop my post history shows it, I've defended the practice tons of time, I've even defended Cryptic until I realized that they were using the rabid nature of mmo players to what I consider to be a dupe on the public, there is very little game for fifteen bucks a month and absolutely no fluff for free and in my opinion that's a bad sign for the industry to create games the way cryptic is and if we don't say anything maybe Blizzard releases a game as content defficient as Cryptics and thinks it's ok to charge for it.  I'm not willing to sit by and watch that happen though and I could not care less how cheap their items are in comparison to the rest of the industry, their game is lacking of content unlike the rest of the industry.

Originally posted by DoomsDay01

Because I don't play WOW and I don't even have a problem with the practice of having an item shop, if you actually read the posts before Nik started the flame war you would see that.  My problem is with a company that releases the most content lite and boring game of the millenium and then releasing almost half of the items as cash shop items.  Really read the entire post first.

If everygame on the market had as much content as Blizzard I would have no problem with vanity items in a cash shop my post history shows it, I've defended the practice tons of time, I've even defended Cryptic until I realized that they were using the rabid nature of mmo players to what I consider to be a dupe on the public, there is very little game for fifteen bucks a month and absolutely no fluff for free and in my opinion that's a bad sign for the industry to create games the way cryptic is and if we don't say anything maybe Blizzard releases a game as content defficient as Cryptics and thinks it's ok to charge for it.  I'm not willing to sit by and watch that happen though and I could not care less how cheap their items are in comparison to the rest of the industry, their game is lacking of content unlike the rest of the industry.

This is a really good point imo. If the game had enough content to keep people playing for more than a month, then I  could see it being more reasonable. Although I still think 15 dollars a month is already ample enough. WoW (which I've never played) is already a well established game content wise. 

I think the big slap in the face that most people are feeling with STO is the fact that they are already content lite, and on top of that are using their time to create useless emotes and shucking them in the C-Store when their actual game is not finished by any standards.