Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where have all the quests gone

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

There used to be hundreds of quests in Freeport area...  Most of them are gone now... what happened?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• BannneBannne Member Posts: 244

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

There used to be hundreds of quests in Freeport area...  Most of them are gone now... what happened?

The quest givers saw you coming.

• SoludeSolude Member UncommonPosts: 691

Been here since 04, there never were hundreds of quests in FP or QN.  5-6 maybe.  Some in the lowbie city areas and then out in CL.  But mostly its always been in CL.

That said the focus on the noob playfield is Gorowyn and Darklight which are nicely laid out and have you leaving them geared.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

There were never hundreds of quests in Freeport.  Some in the smaller villages, and a few in the main city, yes. And those ones are still there.

• epf1epf1 Member Posts: 162

It's the usual answer, Sony Online Entertainment happened!

SOE in their infinite wisdom decided to remove lots (all?) of the original post noob island quests in Freeport and Qeynos. If my memory serves me correct they were replaced by a linear race based quest series.

• JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642

Originally posted by epf1

SOE in their infinite wisdom decided to remove lots (all?) of the original post noob island quests in Freeport and Qeynos. If my memory serves me correct they were replaced by a linear race based quest series.

Try the new Revenge Of Brenlo Quest.

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

So they actually removed content from the game ?

Since they where actually mostly running around and delivery quests, they should have reused them and added them as higher level quests...  But then people don't like being messemger boys in the games..

But there really was some fun story content there that they removed... Its sad for people like me that still read quest texts

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• KilmarKilmar Member UncommonPosts: 844

There were hunderts of quests in Qeynos and Freeport. After both cities, you already had an enorm portion of finished quests in your journal. Dont know, why they were removed, maybe to make the cities more clear arranged for new players. My actual main character was made after the quests were removed. Im a quester (4382 quests, 457 colletions), and so today Im missing a lot of finished quests, its sad.

• SoludeSolude Member UncommonPosts: 691

Link it or it didn't happen.  These are the quests in the Freeport area...

http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Freeport_Timeline

Nothing removed.

• KilmarKilmar Member UncommonPosts: 844

Maybe it was this LU, which removed them. But I dont know it exactly, since those quests are long gone from wikia and zam, and SOE has no information on that these days.

http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Update:25

A number of quests have been removed from the cities. If you are currently on a quest that gets removed, you will still be able to complete the quest. For more information see the following post:

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862

Don't forget that many quests are language-restricted: if you don't speak the language of the quest-giver, the icon doesn't appear over their heads or on the map. This is not just the case in the city suburbs. This is a quest on a beach on TS that you must speak Feir'Dal (I think) to get.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

They are still there i just finished returning to EQ2 for a few weeks until i got bore.They removed a couple but replaced them with a couple new ones,you will notice a guy on a horse in one the zones by buring rubble.Remember a lot of the quests inside Freeport are for Factions,like the Seafury Bucaneers ect ect.Then later around 18 you get the armor quests ect ect,a cool nostalgic zone,but i wouldn't start there anymore.

You also need to have the language primers to get some quests,which is part of the LORE.No matter where you start there is way more than enough quests to keep you going.

So you know the old zones are not the best anymore as the rewards are less and more running around.Only been a few weeks removed and i cannot remember the name of the starting city,but the one with all the lifts[not the FAE zone],is by far the best starting zone.The quests are organized,grouped together so you don't run around needlessly and the rewards are very good.The FAE zone would be good ,if not for the ridiculous tree lofts that only have a couple access points.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

The quests are actually much lesser now than they were at launch.

Some of the main ones are still there, but a lot of the side quests either aren't there any more, or are more restricted than they used to be. SOE never really made an announcement about this (afaik), however they do seem to have streamlined the beginning of the game to push new players towards the newest expansions.

I'd link some statement proving it if there was one, but SOE isn't known for being open or honest regarding their game decisions. If there was a statement, chances are it would be dated & inaccurate anyhow.

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870

Yeah they removed a heap from the original starting cities ranging from the mundane fedex quests to the subclass quests (remember those image).  In saying that though, there's a lot more quests in Commonlands & Antonica now than there were in the early days. You dont really last long in the cities & suburbs before you out level it and have to head out to the mainlands.

• coldandnumbcoldandnumb Member CommonPosts: 90

One type of quest that I wish they would remove from the game are the access quests for places that you  no longer need to do them to have access to the zone. I think that is a big confuser for a new player and if they took out the need to do the quest to get into the zone why keep the quest in game that does not make too much sense to me.

• BuzWeaverBuzWeaver Member UncommonPosts: 978

Originally posted by Solude
    Been here since 04, there never were hundreds of quests in FP or QN.  5-6 maybe.  Some in the lowbie city areas and then out in CL.  But mostly its always been in CL.
    That said the focus on the noob playfield is Gorowyn and Darklight which are nicely laid out and have you leaving them geared.

I would imagine there will be quite a few in the new Halas area when that's released in May.

The Old Timers Guild
    Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!

www.oldtimersguild.com
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it. - Jef Mallett

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

streamlined is the word.

if you go to your race city, and do the race mentor´s quests you can easy lvl by those. if you dont want to do those there is plenty in the zones next to home cities, tho usually very fast become small group needed....unless they already made those solo as well.   havent made a new alt in a while p

and with the way less xp needed, less quests needed...that send ppl off to heroic content knowing how hard it is to get low lvl groups....since it takes "no time" get to lvl 20+  just by killing.

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

The buyable books in the Mage Guild gave long quest chains (kill x).

So they actually removed content from the game ?

Since they where actually mostly running around and delivery quests, they should have reused them and added them as higher level quests...  But then people don't like being messemger boys in the games..

But there really was some fun story content there that they removed... Its sad for people like me that still read quest texts

Yes they did remove a whole bunch of quests!

I think some were replaced by those racial mentor quest series wich means they are only available to the race of your toon. Let be that those quests don't mean much in todays EQ2, but I remember running around all of the Freeport villages doing those quests. Some of them were actually quite fun, like beating up some bullies, etc. not just delivery quests. However, back then I don't think you leveled as fast as you do now so...

I was also one of those that liked to read the quest stories and other various in game lore.

I also miss the old days of EQ2, back when it actually was a unique game.

Originally posted by Kilmar

Maybe it was this LU, which removed them. But I dont know it exactly, since those quests are long gone from wikia and zam, and SOE has no information on that these days.

http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Update:25

A number of quests have been removed from the cities. If you are currently on a quest that gets removed, you will still be able to complete the quest. For more information see the following post:

It was a long time ago now so I actually don't remember. However, I think it was earlier than LU25 though. Might also have been a progressive removal of the old quests?

The main change might have been around the time they flattened the class system (...another moronic SOE change!).

Originally posted by coldandnumb

One type of quest that I wish they would remove from the game are the access quests for places that you  no longer need to do them to have access to the zone. I think that is a big confuser for a new player and if they took out the need to do the quest to get into the zone why keep the quest in game that does not make too much sense to me.

I can't say that I agree with you here!

That said though, wasn't it a really long time ago that the access quests were removed? At least for the old lower level zones such as Fallen Gate, etc. Now you don't need to finish a quest in order to get in.

• DelamekoDelameko Member Posts: 200

The main change might have been around the time they flattened the class system (...another moronic SOE change!).

I don't think that was a moronic change.  As a bit of an alt-a-holic it got very tiresome to keep doing the same content again and again for all my mages.  Not to mention that some people took the wrong path, they wanted to be a Fury and accidentally selected cleric, for example.

It was sad to see them go, I admit, it was quite game defining, but it made sense.