Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Skill based MMO (non-sandbox)?

docminusdocminus Member Posts: 717

Looking for a skillbased MMO that is not sand-box; seems like the ones that are out there are just that. I would like to see a more PVE-centric game with skills, say LOTRO. Heck, even PVP as in Warhammer would be nice.

One reason i don't care currently too much for sandbox is, that the worlds often are so darn empty since there are few NPCs due to the nature of the mechanics. And if there are no players except for certain places......

Needless to mention that I loved the original SWG. I loved UO, but somehow can't get back into it.

I am now testing Darkfall and I kind of like it, especially due to the skill based system. But I guess I am just too carebear nowadays with regards to full loot ing pvp. Could live with the ganking otherwise. Mortal Online won't be much different i guess.

Now, I somehow fear with all that I have tried that there isn't that much else out there? Or? What about upcoming MMOs?

imageimage

Comments

• pythipythi Member UncommonPosts: 63

Originally posted by docminus

Looking for a skillbased MMO that is not sand-box; seems like the ones that are out there are just that. I would like to see a more PVE-centric game with skills, say LOTRO. Heck, even PVP as in Warhammer would be nice.

One reason i don't care currently too much for sandbox is, that the worlds often are so darn empty since there are few NPCs due to the nature of the mechanics. And if there are no players except for certain places......

Needless to mention that I loved the original SWG. I loved UO, but somehow can't get back into it.

I am now testing Darkfall and I kind of like it, especially due to the skill based system. But I guess I am just too carebear nowadays with regards to full loot ing pvp. Could live with the ganking otherwise. Mortal Online won't be much different i guess.

Now, I somehow fear with all that I have tried that there isn't that much else out there? Or? What about upcoming MMOs?

The information I gathered from your post says to me that you still like sandbox games, but not poorly developed sandbox games. Lack of quest, NPC, or any information on how to play the game is not what makes a sandbox, that does however make a piss poor game. There is a alternative project for SWG, its fully legal but it is moving along very slowly. I have high hopes for Earthrise, until then nothing decent in the sandbox/skill based market comming soon. Try Just Cause 2 its a fun sandbox game.

Exocide

• Naterd00dNaterd00d Member Posts: 9

Anarchy Online

and dont let the fact that its free dissuade you, it used to be a pay game, so dont compare it to all the other free MMO's

its older, but its quality, tons to do.

• docminusdocminus Member Posts: 717

Just Cause is a good example, yes.

Anarchy Online I never cared for tbh.

Runescape is interesting, although not sandbox, but tons of stuff, tons of skills, quests guided, lots of NPCs, .... but the graphics.....

Oh well, got DF for now. Thanks for all your replies.

imageimage

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Final Fantasy XIV. Seriously, it couldn't be any more what you just described.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • Mud_MonsterMud_Monster Member UncommonPosts: 229

If you don't mind doing business with Cryptic, Champions is skill based and themepark with some PvP.  DDO could kinda be considered skill based as well since you can multiclass and have choices in what skills you pick up.

• zeowyrmzeowyrm Member Posts: 746

Originally posted by Hyanmen

Final Fantasy XIV. Seriously, it couldn't be any more what you just described.

Except that its not out yet, and we're most likely looking at first quarter next year for it here in the US.  Maybe try FFXI?  It's old school enough, I've been enjoying it quite a bit myself lately.

• dmathewsfldmathewsfl Member Posts: 79

Its not out yet, but you can check into Earthrise. It drew my interest because its a no lvl no class game, skill based like UO, which is one of my all time favs. It is very pvp centric though and i didnt really read the full post to see whether or not you were into that or not.

Sadly they dont make too many skill based mmos anymore, it has so much more customization.