Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need Something New....

HappyFaceHappyFace Member UncommonPosts: 27

Hey MMORPG Forums,

Before I start, Im gunna say this is gunna be ranty so. If you dont feel like reading the whole post - Skip to the bottom, the point is there.

I need something new, lol. If you check my sig, you can tell I play a lot of WoW (Five years or so and dont see my self unsubbing .... permenantly). As I sat in Dalaran on my Orc Shaman (Xruul of Cenarion Circle) for 2 hours, reading trade chat with Spite in one hand, chips in the other, the thought crept in my head.... "I really need something new to play to pass time."

Now, I bet one is wondering after reading that short truthful rant, "What does that have to do with Roleplay?" Well, I a fair bit of a roleplayer myself. Now, to clarify, Im not a hardcore roleplayer. I tried, back in my wee starting days in WoW as my Warrior, but I just couldn't get into it that much. I like roleplaying lightly and casually to set my character into the world and just to give my fifteen bucks a month that little bit more 'oomph', y'know? It feels a bit more immersive when I see names fitting the lore and atsmophere rather than some jack playing a Death Knight that snuck 'death' into his name, or an 'lol' or two. And, usually (if not ruined by some server merge [*cough cough* Age of Conan *cough*], Roleplay servers have mostly mature people within its depths; just an overall better setting for me.

But, what do I consider myself? Mostly an PvPer; I love it. Its that great feeling of randomness when PvPing that makes it awesome. When you fight a lv51 bear, or bandit, whatevers your poison, npc you know what your fighting and its just 'meh'. Endgame Raiding is cool, but even after your first two clears it becomes 'meh'. Then, finding a raiding guild is lurid itself and, being a raider now, Im tired of being nerdraged on because I spent a half a second in fire when joe-shmoe to my left wasnt effected (because the fire wasnt planted on him [Yes, I've had this arguement]). And I like doing things on my own time, as well, so y'know I can sign up for a BG or two, or go around in the Eigolopian Mountains or Old Tarania Commons and get a few kills, good fights, and maybe a death or two, all on my own leisure and call it a day.

So, to get to the point, I'm looking for something new or at lease something to try again. If you read the above, you know what kind of gamer I am when it comes to MMORPGs. But, MMOs I've tried / played / subbed are:

LotRO (Not Recent)

WAR (Recently)

WoW (Subbed)

Age of Conan (Subbed)

Aion (Not Recently [About two months after Launch])

Champions Online (Not Recently)

City of Heroes / Villians (Really Not Recent)

Everquest 2 (Not Recently)

Tebula Rasa (RiP)

SWG (RiP)

Guild Wars (Long, Long Time Ago [Its first Xpack release, then for two months])

Fury (RiP)

And a Bunch of F2P ones... Most Noticably:

Runes of Magic

Allods

Rappelz

Aika

Dungeons and Dragons Online (Though not for that long ... was like a week. Didnt give the game a try, just stopped because I started playing Oblivion again [Off Topic: Oblivion is such a great game....])

(Fun Facts: [Recently] meaning 4-6+ months ago, rest just scales up)

Is there anything out there with a strong RP community, or just a great community, that I could enjoy the PvP and the PvE isnt to 'demanding' (i.e spending 10 hours on one level, and Im level 20 [*Cough cough* Aion *cough*]), and if I've played, the game has changed to something more enjoyable? Age of Conan's leveling was great, nice and not to slow but not to fast.... But, if you play, its a bit .... crap, for lack of a better word. Being an Cimmeria player from beta, I saw the server degrade to what it is now. Merging PvP servers with RP servers was a terrible idea, from an ethtic side, anyway. It brought good PvP fights, true, but, again, Im fighting 'Beastyoazz' and 'lolproski' all day, and the RP gets pushed out so its just sad.

Any suggestions? If you have a question, Ill do my best to help.

Thanks ;3

- HappyFace.

PS: Also, it'll be great if one recommended 'their' community, not just the game, so I'll know one person, or a few, when I start / resubb / trial the MMO. Just a little bit better for me because I enjoy talking to someone while I level and such, not to be a selfish doucher, lol.

"This hand of mine glows with an awesome power....."

Comments

• IzorkIzork Member UncommonPosts: 381

You're looking for what is not there. There's no game at the momment, well there is. But there's no GOOD game. Try Fallen Earth, for a change, it's quite kinda single-player with social aspects (i.e mmo aspects) but it still is great.

Otherwise, take a break. Wait 6-8 momths for the new releases (i'm trying, 1.5 week has passed and I'm about to go crazy - It's hard NOT playing a MMO! I'm ... Thinking... About returning to WoW!, 5 Year player here.)

I could need some seriously proffessional help (kidding).

As said, break or stay with WoW (FE is good if thats your kind of game, mostly RP only). But its hard NOT playing MMOs when your USED to. 

• templarxtemplarx Member UncommonPosts: 181

EVE ?

Fallen Earth?

Star Trek Online ?

Darkfall ?

[in that order]

• HappyFaceHappyFace Member UncommonPosts: 27

Originally posted by Izork

You're looking for what is not there. There's no game at the momment, well there is. But there's no GOOD game. Try Fallen Earth, for a change, it's quite kinda single-player with social aspects (i.e mmo aspects) but it still is great.

Otherwise, take a break. Wait 6-8 momths for the new releases (i'm trying, 1.5 week has passed and I'm about to go crazy - It's hard NOT playing a MMO! I'm ... Thinking... About returning to WoW!, 5 Year player here.)

I could need some seriously proffessional help (kidding).

As said, break or stay with WoW (FE is good if thats your kind of game, mostly RP only). But its hard NOT playing MMOs when your USED to.

• HappyFaceHappyFace Member UncommonPosts: 27

Yeah, its what I feared - looking for something that doesnt exsist. And, I know how you feel, man, lol. Its why I trial so many different MMOs. I kept looking at Fallen Earth but.... I cant think of a reason why I havent tried it so I guess I will.

From what I heard, its an Fallout 3, basically, MMORPG except not as good, but still pretty decent? Got any info on the game I could deem useful before playing?

• templarxtemplarx Member UncommonPosts: 181

Fallen Earth from my stint i had:

(NOTE: i'm not playing it currently, and the developers of this game are developing at a rapid pace, so a few things most likely changed somewhat since i last played)

1. It's crafter's game, if you don't like gathering and crafting then you're not going to enjoy this game for long. Crafting resembles pretty much playing a SWG-trader class. You will also  end up crafting everything yourself, ammo, gear,weapons,mounts...

Crafting is also very slow, but have an EVE-like offline component . So you queue up your items to craft and log off and it will continue to craft. There's items that can take -days- to craft.

2. Immersion. They got the Post Apocalypse theme right, i actually felt this game is VERY immersive. You DO feel like "roleplaying" in this game, despite the older graphics. The atmosphere [sounds/music/emptyness] is very well done. This alone kept me going for a looong time. But you MUST enjoy this kind of setting.

3. Graphics are debatable. animations/models are crappy imho, landscape scenes are good. The entire game pretty much have the same theme all the way to end-game. It might get more trees or slightly different bushes, but it's still pretty much a desolate setting with very little variety. [compared to say LOTRO].

4. Combat is semi-FPS [Oblivion Style?] you have to aim to hit , but  stats also determine whether you hit....so it's not full FPS, but feels like it. I did not find it very smooth, but it's definitely a little more engaging than "tab-target-1-2-3-autoattack" gameplay.

5. Character progression, there are levels, but no real classes. All the skills are similar to Fallout where you put points in it and it gets better. You get these points at certain intervals during each level AND for completing quests. To use certain gear/weapons you need a certain skill at a specific amount of points. Unfortunately you can easily screw up your character if you don't focus, there are "templates" [i.e. rifleman , pistoleer , crafter , meleer , healer ] which you can use to base your character on, but you're pretty much free to make a character who can use Sniper rifles with super close range healing abilities....[as useful as that may be].

6. PvP is limited to certain areas. Similar to Warhammer where you enter a RvR zone. However last i played the balance and purpose of PvP was not really properly defined. The factions are a bit TOO flexible resulting in no one having any kind of "loyalty", so PvP turns into a random "Free for all" fight for not real purpose.

7. Factions , similar to SWG, you grind your way up a faction's ranks. Except there's 6 and you can be "friendly" with 2 factions at a time and with more grinding you can flip factions to experience and gain their skills/gear if need be . Players don't seem to pick factions based on their "theme" but rather based on what abilities/gear they can get from it.

8. Social Interaction / Community . I've found the community very loyal and mature. This is a slow game , it's NOT a "jump in and play" game. You are going to spend alot of time exploring on your own. I did not find the game lends itself very well to social interaction due to the large distances required to travel and very little "fast travel/recall" options. So it has an old-school hardcore / realistic component which certain RP types enjoy, but the more instant gratification/convenient types will get tired of pretty quickly.

9. Mobs don't drop money or "purples". And hence killing a boss is rarely going to give you anything you can immediately use. So you will either buy or craft your gear. This is also why you don't see alot of "gold farming" since, the only way to make  gold is to harvest materials and sell it and/or crafting items and sell it.

10. Group Content? There are group quests, there are "dungeons" across the world, but i did not get the impression this is a big deal as in other MMOs....especially if you take #9 in account. I'm not aware of Raid Content, but there are "public quests" similar to Warhammer which requires alot of players to take down a boss.

11. Economy, there's all the usual ways to trade [auction house] etc, but i found the economy disfynctional due to everyone's ability to craft everything themselves....or at least everyone playing WANTS to craft everything because they CAN.

12. End Game? Seems the aim is to do Open-PvP / RvR, i'm not aware of anything else to do at the level cap. They development team does however seem to raise the level cap every few months with new content [a very good solution for end-game syndrome imho] .

Unfortunately this game is a little bit of a contradiction when we're talking end-game. The entire game have a VERY intricate crafting system, and people who enjoy crafting to this extend don't necissarily enjoy PvP that is rather "twitchy" . So once crafters "max out" it's debatable what exactly they should be doing...i'm not convinced the current state of PvP in FE is as good as the crafting.

I guess in short, alot of people say the game feels alot like SWG. I've played both and there are alot of resemblance, but SWG got alot more options.

It's worth a play imho, good MMO. I stopped playing because i reached end-game and well i got bored, that wasn't much left i felt like doing . The journey was great, destination was "meh" .

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

Originally posted by HappyFace

Yeah, its what I feared - looking for something that doesnt exsist. And, I know how you feel, man, lol. Its why I trial so many different MMOs. I kept looking at Fallen Earth but.... I cant think of a reason why I havent tried it so I guess I will.

From what I heard, its an Fallout 3, basically, MMORPG except not as good, but still pretty decent? Got any info on the game I could deem useful before playing?

Lots of starter tips here: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/271563/Tips-for-n00bs-to-Fallen-Earth.html

Should get you well set up.

Most important: do the extended tutorial! (can't stress that one enough)

Hope you enjoy.