Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Exploration

Is there any exploration in this game?

Is the game world larger than the world in WoW?

Comments

• LexiteLexite Member UncommonPosts: 165

Originally posted by alexkapi12

Is there any exploration in this game? 

Yes, its actually one of my favorite things to do. Seeing places the fellowship has passed by in the movie is awsome. Everytime im almost the level requiered to move ot another region, i cant wait for it.

You also get deed (xp/title) by exploring the whole map.

I7 920 @ 2.7ghz (8 cpu total)
    12 gig DDR3 ram
    Nvidia Geforce 560 GTX TI
    window 7 64bit

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Yes some. But don't expect much. It's nowhere near as Vanguard, Darkfall, Fallen Earth. Almost every place in Lotro is somehow related to a quest, and almost every place is linked from some other place.

REALITY CHECK

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

Originally posted by Thillian

Yes some. But don't expect much. It's nowhere near as Vanguard, Darkfall, Fallen Earth. Almost every place in Lotro is somehow related to a quest, and almost every place is linked from some other place.

What???

To the OP, there are a number of cities, ruins, POI etc.... scattered around the map and yes most have to do with a quest at some point in the game.  There are also various rez pad's scattered around and it doesn't hurt finding those too.

It really is one of the few games where getting off the beaten path is fun.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Originally posted by Nebless

What???

To the OP, there are a number of cities, ruins, POI etc.... scattered around the map and yes most have to do with a quest at some point in the game.  There are also various rez pad's scattered around and it doesn't hurt finding those too.

I merely meant that every quest hub - every place is in the game for some reason. You are sent there to either finish a quest, or do a deed. Every quest hub is linked with each other with a series of chain quests and it's all linked up. That, in my book means, I'm not really exploring anything but rather following a certain path.

REALITY CHECK

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

I merely meant that every quest hub - every place is in the game for some reason. You are sent there to either finish a quest, or do a deed. Every quest hub is linked with each other with a series of chain quests and it's all linked up. That, in my book means, I'm not really exploring anything but rather following a certain path.

I got you now. 

Yes Thillian is correct, it's not a totally open, sandbox type world where you just wander around (like SWG was at the start).  I will say that while the quest chains do point you in a certain direction, (otherwise how would you know to go to the North Downs after Bree, vice the Troll lands),  It's not as if you're on rails, more like a broad path.  Every block of levels has 2 zones you can quest in / level in, so the quest chains just help to guide you to the level appropriate areas.

If you do wish to just explore (as my lvl 20 son did when he decided he wanted to see Riverdell) you can do that and there is a quest line of just exploration (find the 7 lost Ranger Cities ..... ).

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• BetrayalFiveBetrayalFive Member Posts: 75

Yes there is and I -highly- recommend you explore. This game was, definitely, meant for exploration. Even though it is only an opinion a lot of people find that Lotro has one of the, if not, best art styles of an MMO; I completely agree. Sometimes I just stop moving around and just take in the environment I am in, it is a very beautiful game if your PC can play it (and most can, easily). It is, also, quite large. If you end up playing I am on Brandywine, let me know. I have only been playing for a month but I am having a very, very good time with this fine product.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Originally posted by Nebless

What???

There is a lot of that but I actually discovered a few places that had quests that I never knew existed. And most of the hobbit stuff I never really did. While exploring and seeing how far I could go to get to the mountains, I came across a small hobbit village and ended up doing a few quests there which I never intended to do.

There are places that one can't access that one needs to be on the appropriate quest. That drives me batty.

and true, it's not like Vanguard as far as exploratioin (which is why I have a vanguard sub) but one can definitely discover thigns. Heck, most of my Moria game play was just me wandering around.

Now that I think of it I never did forochel either.

I would say in some ways, at least for lower levels, one could level in different places. It's after 45/50 ish where it definitely funnels into moria > lothlorien and then Mirkwood.

which is murky.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

What I remember of LOTRO is that the maps are too tiny for exploration. If you are someone who likes to do all quests he/she encounters you will go to most spots anyway. Players that really love exploring will get annoyed about the many artificial boundaries in LOTRO's areas.

Vanguard, Fallen Earth, Star Wars Galaxies are games where you can explore and where the world actually looks like a world and not some lvl tiered map.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

After playing LoTRO since early beta I still discover the odd ruin or shack or NPC when leveling a alt and wonder if it was added recently or has been in the game for years

I miss DAoC