Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallout 3 PC or PS3

Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

First of all i don't want this to turn into a fallout sucks buy x game thread so please don't start those kind of things. Now i've been meaning to buy fallout 3 ever since it came out but i never really had the time to, now i just saw it on sale for 15 bucks at D2D and am very tempted to do so but the problem is im not sure if i should buy it for my PS3 or PC. I do have the recommended specs but from what ive heard, you need a lot better computer than that and its filled with bugs on the PC version. The PS3 on the other hand also seems to have a lot of bugs and freezes. Could anyone with epxerience tell me which one is the best version out of the two? I also found out that there's a Game of the year edition which has a whole bunch of DLC, imo DLC is usually not worth it and simply little content with a big price tag, does the same apply to this game or is it worth it to buy the GOTY instead?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• PedrobPedrob Member UncommonPosts: 172

I tried them both, the PS3 at my brother's, and PC at home, the PS3 handles the shooting better if you don't use VATS so much, but the PC feels smoother and looks better, not to mention on PC you can get mods that will improve and some even prolong the playability. Mods are not DLC, and are free.

From the DLC if you ever decide to get them, I found the "Broken Steel" and "Point Lookout" the better ones.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

If you're serious about the game, you'll definately want the PC version, no question.

Better graphics, less buggy, and most importantly, mods.

The modding community for Fallout 3 has created some amazing mods. Adding content, changing game mechanics, even fixing bugs. It will add hours of replayability to the game, all for free.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I own the game on PC and my PS3.

PC for the better experience in general. PS3 for when I wanna relax and not sit in front of a comp.

PC hands down IMO if you have the system. I run it maxed out on my PC and it looks a whole lot better than ps3. Plus the mods are worth making PC the platform of choice if the option is there.

• NotNiceDinoNotNiceDino Member Posts: 320

A: You WANT the DLC (you ABSOLUTELY MUST have Broken Steel at least, or you game is broken as far as I'm concerned) you can't get DLC on PS3, so don't even consider for a moment buying for PS3 unless it's GOTY. Period.

B: There are mods for PC, which is a big deal for some people... not for me. If it is for you, then go the PC route.

...I just want to reemphasis though... DO NOT BUY THE PS3 VERSION IF IT IS NOT GOTY!!!!!

Active: WoW

Semi-retired: STO

Fully retired: UO, EQ, AC, SWG, FFXI, DDO:EU, PoTBS, AoC, EvE

Tried: EQ2, Tabula Rasa, Auto-Assault, Isteria, LotRO, Wizard 101

Looking forward to: Star Citizen

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Originally posted by NotNiceDino

A: You WANT the DLC (you ABSOLUTELY MUST have Broken Steel at least, or you game is broken as far as I'm concerned) you can't get DLC on PS3, so don't even consider for a moment buying for PS3 unless it's GOTY. Period.

B: There are mods for PC, which is a big deal for some people... not for me. If it is for you, then go the PC route.

...I just want to reemphasis though... DO NOT BUY THE PS3 VERSION IF IT IS NOT GOTY!!!!!

Well i will have to buy GOTY edition for PC if i want the DLC aswell, and no i was asking if the DLC was any good, i usually avoid DLC and thats the main reason why i was asking if in this case it's actually good enough to shell out the extra 20 bucks for. I did some reading and from what ive read broken steal only raises the cap and adds a few missions which people in general seem to think were more or so subpar. As for PC being better, thanks for clearing that up and yeh i don't really have much experience with mods as most of my RPGs are for consoles so im unsure of what kind of things are possible with them. 

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

UMMMMM .......You can get the DLC on PS3, not sure what they are talking about.

But buying the GOTY edition if you do not already own the game is the better choice of course.

• sephersepher Member Posts: 3,561

Pretty much boils down to whether you want to add trophies to your PSN account or have player made mods available to you. For awhile it was advantegeous to have the console version due to always uncertain DLC dates for PC, but Bethesda ended up handling treating the PC pretty fair. So I can't see any differences beyond trophies and player mods.

I guess PC wins and for the GOTY problem, here's the thing the original game is 15 bucks while the GOTY edition is 50+ that's why i was asking if paying that much extra is really worth it.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

PC, naturally.

Looks better, plays better, and then there's MODS!!!!

Thousands of mods!!!!

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/

Everything from enhanced UIs, to new guns and armor, clothing, hair styles, and entire adventure campaigns and new parts of the map.

Even drivable motorcycles.

Why limit yourself??

• MirrandorMirrandor Member UncommonPosts: 55

If you're in a financial pinch, then get the $15 vanilla version, but if you have the money I highly recommend the GOTY or better (better being with mods).

The vanilla version ends, whereas the GOTY turns into open world sandbox. I greatly enjoyed being able to continue the story and seeing how the world has changed after a few key events.

As for PC vs PS3, I will say PC. The game was designed for the PC and then ported to the PS3 making it a little clunky. Bethesda did an amazing job with the PC version and the free content from the community makes anything the PS3 could offer rather obsolete.

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

Originally posted by Wharg0ul
    PC, naturally.
    Thousands of mods!!!!
    Everything from enhanced UIs, to new guns and armor, clothing, hair styles, and entire adventure campaigns and new parts of the map.
    Why limit yourself??

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

You want the PC GOTY version because of the mods, graphics and it plays better on the pc if you have a pc that can handle the system requirements. If you aren't big on graphics and mods then go with the PS3.

Thanks for all the help guys, PC GOTY it is.

• JackyM2010JackyM2010 Member Posts: 22

I think PC its better , with some Upgrading Graphic Hardware it would be more than enough IMO, but not so sure , who knows maybe other peoples have better opinion about it , :)

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

Hate how like 4 games from 2008 have the GOTY title on it.

• bcrankshawbcrankshaw Member Posts: 547

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

PC, naturally.

Thousands of mods!!!!

Why limit yourself??

QFT

This is clearly an easy decision  ,the PC version  wins hands-down for  a variety reasons .

The main one as mentioned are the various mods ...extra monsters ,items etc take Fallout from an awesome game to an incredible one

"after the time of dice came the day of mice "

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Originally posted by Gabby-air

Thanks for all the help guys, PC GOTY it is.

That is the smart choice. As said before you'll want to have Broken Steel at least (It's included with GOTY) or you'll have the 'WTF' moment the rest of us did when we ended the main quest series of the original game. BS fixes that issue.

I have it for both 360 and PC and I find myself way more inclined to play the PC version as it's superior in almost every way.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }