Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

why is this game so popular?

drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

ok i did as a lot of gamer suggested :

downloaded namoroka(64 bit firefox)

i downloaded the java 64 sdk

then ran this game ,i gota say it run insanelly smooth

but still most just play it on 32 bit ,i had everything maxed and yes it does look fair

but men i felt like going back to eq1 all over again!

so explain the popularity please?

Comments

• DreathorDreathor Member Posts: 537

Originally posted by drbaltazar
    but still most just play it on 32 bit ,i had everything maxed and yes it does look fair

Because they enjoy it regardless of the graphics, it's very accessible, and doesn't require a large download or a decent computer?

"If all you can say is... "It's awful, it's not innovative, it's ugly, it's blah.." Then you're an unimaginative and unpolished excuse for human life" -eburn

• RollotamasiRollotamasi Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 898

Because it's free and it runs in a browser?

-Currently looking forward to FFXIV

-Currently playing EvE and Global Agenda

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

Well it's popularity is mostly among younger kids and older people who have too much spare, time but don't like games where you have to control it with "W, A, S, and D"

I played it when i was younger, was okay fun, can't seem to find the same joy in playing it now though. - lol

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

yep your both right that its probably the only game that runs on a 64 bit browser on both windows and linux

i was baffled by this lol.men there was a dude asking for a game less then 150 mb to play

this one isa probably smaller then that .ho well

ty for info guys!i thot maybe there was insane pvp or pve watever since i just did the noob isle area!

(nono no full screen ,monthly to get that.)

• Jalice888Jalice888 Member CommonPosts: 113

Main reason is it doesn't take much computer memory.

Now sticking another game inside this game for you F2P people probably seems good but it is going in totally a different direction to where Runescape2 was chosen by it's players. That being the case watch as lots more quit playing in members and without the financial support of them you will see the biggest Game Developer finally crumble and disappear. Ignoring what the paying customers ask for and sticking your own pile of trash in an existing game is the biggest mistake any game developing company could ever do.

Watch as this game & Jagex self-disintergrate!

• AkaJetsonAkaJetson Member Posts: 1,167

Originally posted by Jalice888

Main reason is it doesn't take much computer memory.

Now sticking another game inside this game for you F2P people probably seems good but it is going in totally a different direction to where Runescape2 was chosen by it's players. That being the case watch as lots more quit playing in members and without the financial support of them you will see the biggest Game Developer finally crumble and disappear. Ignoring what the paying customers ask for and sticking your own pile of trash in an existing game is the biggest mistake any game developing company could ever do.

Watch as this game & Jagex self-disintergrate!

Actually the opposite is happening.

http://www.casualgaming.biz/news/30035/Runescape-earns-Jagex-38-million-in-twelve-months

?

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Free to play ,no other reason.Most if not ALL f2p games would not be givemn the time of day if people had to buy them and pay a subscription.

Developers will try to push for every dime they can get,so if a developer offers a F2P game,you know that they know their product is not very good.

If all of a sudden Jagex or whoever runs it now,shut the doors and made everyone buy the game and pay 15 bucks a month,the game would be near empty.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• PurpleCliffPurpleCliff Member UncommonPosts: 156

It is (or was) a bloody brilliantly designed game. Definitely used to be one of the very best MMOs.

Add that to it's F2P model, accessibility (browser based), great devs who interact with the community and some pretty great polish - and there's your reason. :P

Jagex's 'sci-fi MMO' is sure to be a success too, simply because of this format.

• KarmakaziKarmakazi Member Posts: 165

It was just one of those games that was popular at the time because people could pretty much play it anywhere on any computer. Not only that but the game itself has quite a bit of depth to it, especially for it being free to play. It's a huge time sink like any other game, but I can see how people could hooked playing it. I could be wrong but I think it has one of the better economic systems as well, from what I hear anyways.I tried it once a few years back and it didn't really appeal to me, but there's plenty of people out there who do enjoy it and that's all that matters: )

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

as far as i know!runescape is the only game that do this:

64 bit browser mmo on a java!they are at the forefront of this!i bet there isnt one browser mmo that can do this and they wont for a long while.

so i say those that love the idea of 64 bit browser gaming push this idea

because this techno is in its birth days!its not even born yet lol.

everything i used is pretty much very new java 64 sdk  is new,nomoroko(new naming convention for firefox 64)is so new its in alpha lol and a very early version of alpha.

but surprisingly it works!

now all we miss are various pluggin !(nha)

we just need other 64 bit broswer title

• NasherUKNasherUK Member UncommonPosts: 480

Well a 64bit browser game is pretty pointless, your not going to gain much at all.

It's popular because it's free, just like everything that's free.  Would you turn down a free burger if it didn't taste quite as good as one you pay for? What you need to look at is how many subscribers the game has.

They go on about how it's the most popular browser MMO, but what exactly is the competition? Name one other browser game which has as much money pumped in to it.  Soon as there is competition they will see their player base and profits plumet, because Runescape will no longer be the only option.  Just look into funorb's figures which does have competition from similar sites...

• brihtwulfbrihtwulf Member UncommonPosts: 975

From what I've heard the "free" version of the game is extremely limited, and more like a simple trial.  I've never played it, but I have a hard time seeing why you would with the newer browser games around like Free Realms, Wizard 101, Earth Eternal, etc.