Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DAoC 2 - Would you play it?

Comments

• noblotnoblot Member Posts: 287

It still puzzles me that Mythic went for Warhammer when they could have done DAoC2 without having to pay GamesWorkshop for the licence.

On the other hand, havin a period in the wilderness can be an excellent thing. Take Doctor Who and Battlestar Gallactica.

• bandaxbandax Member Posts: 1

Hey guys !

I'm happy to see that there are still alot of people who are interested in DAoC. I still play DAoC these days...It's the best MMORPG i have ever played. The only thing is that DAoC is a bit old. So I hope EA will bring out a new DAoC. Just leave the game as it was.....only do a graphic  upgrade, put alot new items in it like weapons, armour and other cool stuff. I think it's going a big succes if they will do this.

I must leave now for a hib raid !

cya guys !

• klm41989klm41989 Member Posts: 7

imo EA making DAoC 2 would result in a similar disaster to WAR, but instead they'd be sacrificing the unique and fun aspects of DAoC gameplay to make it have higher sub #'s.(by this I mean say goodbye to any long CC....the only thing that made significant number differences highly less significant. If you think other wise, play WAR and even try to compete with smaller numbers)

I don't see why EA just can't update the graphics of DAoC, reduce NF size(honestly everyone thinks its too big),  implement a purge like ability available to every class for long CC durations that gives shorter imunity but on an equal/faster timer than purge 3, and finally hammer out the major bugs/class imbalances. Along with some marketing, I think it would be more cost effective and have a higher chance at reviving DAoC back to a major MMO.

• fierce750fierce750 Member Posts: 37

I would without a doubt play it again!

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Didn't play DAoC, so for me DAoC 2 would just be another one of dozens and dozens of MMORPGs.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• linrenlinren Member Posts: 578

I might, but I doubt DAoC is a game that is easy to make a sequel-ish game out of.  Just think about the size of the DAoC world in current graphics probably will make most developers get a headache.  Even if they settle for a smaller world this time around,  they still run into quite a bit of problems making the game.  They surely can't use older graphics since DAoC had rather good graphic for its time, so the leap in graphic would have to be done as a leap and not just a step forward.

Of course this is all assuming they can make it as fun as the first, which in itself is a big task.

I would guess most developers would stay the hell away from making DAoC2 for a few reasons, and it is not too hard to imagine why.

• Psi-FyrePsi-Fyre Member UncommonPosts: 8

I would so play this if they ever make it.  It was the most fun MMO i've ever played and well IMO the best player community in any game i've played.

Mythic listen to your fans, make this game in the image of the original, 3 Realms, keeps and relic captures.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018
    Originally posted by ste2000

Yes but only if it is not made by THIS Mythic.....................bring back the old guys.

What that guy said.

WAR left me thinking that Mythic went the same way as Cryptic, one good game followed by crap.

Though I missed the bus with DAoC as I was heavily into EQ & wasn't interested in PvP MMORPGs at the time after having played WAR & reading up on DAoC it made me realise what WAR "should" have been.

I agree with ealier posters though that it shouldn't be called DAoC or even be set in the same world, but a "spiritual successor" would be welcomed, rather than go with 2 or 3 factions go with every race is it's own faction, has it's own language etc, but victories can be diplomatic, militaristic or mercantile....just fighting battles to decide top dog is too one dimensuional even with great siege mechanics, push the envelope.

• brett7018brett7018 Member UncommonPosts: 181

I feel like a goof cause I posted this http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/270696/DAoC-2.html on the general game forums today to try and generate some more discussion and hopefully get this going. 

I did not see this thread before but obviously my answer is definately!    I am so tired of these lackluster games today.  I find it completely amazing that some games are struggling to get 2-4 classes in their games and maybe 1 or 2 races.  That is pathetic and a poor excuse for development. 

I agree with most of the posters that Mythic could have done a much better job with WAR (how could they have missed the third realm??) but I am also willing to spend some of my hard earned money on an updated version of DAoC.  Here is hoping!

• BexarBexar Member Posts: 1

heck yeah..DAoC is still my favorite MMO that I have played. I would definately come back if they updated the engine and graphics

Bexar - OTG
    Vetran of the Psychic Wars

• VotanVotan Member UncommonPosts: 291

I would not play/buy/look at anything from Mythic again period.  That being said I would love a DAOC2 type of game from someone else and would be all over it.

• PedrobPedrob Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Originally posted by Votan

I would not play/buy/look at anything from Mythic again period.  That being said I would love a DAOC2 type of game from someone else and would be all over it.

Sadly don't think any other developers out there would be able to duplicate DAoC's RvR, because if they could they would have by now (smart ones that is).

I think all the staff that made Mythic great should leave EA and reform again under a new banner and re-create DAoC under a new engine and with some other improvements, as they are the ones that made the RvR that we all love...and of course pray that they learned from their ToA nightmare.

• BretelBretel Member UncommonPosts: 1

If my next MMO could be served a la carte:

DAOC: best concept I have encounterd (been around a while...)

Prequel: how to be even more compelling than the original imho

RvRvR: 3 Realms is a must; non negotiable.

Outdoor raids with no size cap: Also a must

PvP dungeons exclusive access(one realm at a time): Also important.

Crafting that makes items people want: Very important.

Legendary quest based equip a la ToA: Also important cannot obviate crafting though.

Task / leveling instances: Very nice to have.

Now please hurry and make it, we are waiting.

Everyone knows more than anyone.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Would I play a sequel to DAoC? Yeah i would give it a go once mythic handed out a free trial.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• TaldrenTaldren Member Posts: 4

DAoC all the way, but they need to normalize the melee and casting systems.

I would of loved to see:

• Spell chains akin to the melee chains in DAoC.
    • Caster weapon DPS/Speed affect Spells the same way it does for melee classes.

The interrupt system in DAoC needs a complete revamp.

Rather that complete interruption 100% of the time, it should be % chance of interruption based on the amount of damage done vs the casters total hitpoints. (Example: Lets says its 10:1 ... If you did 8% of a casters life in a hit you would have a 80% chance to interrupt their casting.) There should be Realm Abilities to both increase (for the attacker) and decrease (for the caster) this ratio.

• ericbelserericbelser Member Posts: 783

Yes, but with the following major concerns:

1. Crowd control and stuns would have to play a vastly smaller role in combat than they did

2. Something like ToA would NEVER happen; no massive PvE quest grinds for uber gear or abilities

3. A better balance between the realms and classes; no "Albion" equivalent with generally weaker set ups because "more people were going to play there", no concentration of powers in fewer classes because the realm is under populated. ((and before all the Hibs jump on me, yes it was *possible* for Albion to put together good 8-mans...but it was a hell of a lot harder than it was for the mids/hibs))

Lastly, and this is the one that I think might be insurmountable: Some reasonable balance between the elements of "roaming gank" and "mass battle" that they have never achieved. Some players prefer the roaming 8-man and saw it as the height of PvP; others preferred the 100+ on a side mass castle sieges that lasted 8hrs or more. I'm not really sure a balance between them can be found, especially as an element to this is time frame...should castles change hands every few hours like clockwork or should it be an epic struggle that shapes the fight for days?

Originally posted by Taldren

DAoC all the way, but they need to normalize the melee and casting systems.
    I would of loved to see:

Spell chains akin to the melee chains in DAoC.
    Caster weapon DPS/Speed affect Spells the same way it does for melee classes.

The interrupt system in DAoC needs a complete revamp.

The spell chain is a good idea, in fact the Warlock had this as certain spells needed a primary to be cast first.

I don't think the caster weapon speed would have made much of a difference, you can easily cap dexterity at any level with crafted/spellcrafted gear, and at max level if you did your template right and hard capped dexterity you could actually cast between melee hit.

As for the interrupt, I actually liked it and I was a cleric for most of my years, it keeps a balance that the casters can't just spam their nukes until the target is dead, you have to be smart, that's why all the casters had some sort of root or snare in their baseline spells.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033
    Originally posted by Lansid

Originally posted by galad2003

Originally posted by riceae02

Thought it came out already? Didn't they name it  Warhammer?

Right on the spot.

WAR was their sequal to DAOC, just watered down and they got lazy and only made two factions.

As long as mythic is owned by EA I won't play any game they make.

/second

Yea. I thought the exact same thing when I read the OP.  I actaully left DAoC prematurely because I recall the RvR being completely unfinished and incomplete within the first 2-monhts, then I moved onto something else. 

I've never been one to go back to an incomplete mmorpg, but played WAR for a month to experience what, if anything, I've been missing from Mythic.  I came away feeling as though the redundancy of the scenario game-play bored me to tears.

So, yea, I'd' play' it out of curiosity, but I dont think Mythic offered much the first 2 times.

Originally posted by ericbelser

Yes, but with the following major concerns:
    1. Crowd control and stuns would have to play a vastly smaller role in combat than they did
    2. Something like ToA would NEVER happen; no massive PvE quest grinds for uber gear or abilities
    3. A better balance between the realms and classes; no "Albion" equivalent with generally weaker set ups because "more people were going to play there", no concentration of powers in fewer classes because the realm is under populated. ((and before all the Hibs jump on me, yes it was *possible* for Albion to put together good 8-mans...but it was a hell of a lot harder than it was for the mids/hibs))
    Lastly, and this is the one that I think might be insurmountable: Some reasonable balance between the elements of "roaming gank" and "mass battle" that they have never achieved. Some players prefer the roaming 8-man and saw it as the height of PvP; others preferred the 100+ on a side mass castle sieges that lasted 8hrs or more. I'm not really sure a balance between them can be found, especially as an element to this is time frame...should castles change hands every few hours like clockwork or should it be an epic struggle that shapes the fight for days?

Agreed on the CC, tho at this point in the game even red mez only lasts seconds with all the immunities there are.

ToA did bring some good things but they were poorly implemented, it's fixed now, so next time they add something big and game changing like that, they should make it avaible for both players, for the pvers doing all the 3 month pve they love, and for the pvpers via BP which they much have tons since that's what they do all day. (that's how ToA items and ml's work now btw)

That's all about point of view, I played most of my years as an alb, so I know what you're trying to say, when classics came I went all mid, and they say the same thing about albs and hibs, you should have seen the curses against theurgs locking down the healers the first seconds of the battle :D

I think the way the RvR is, as you describe it, quick skirmishes of 8mans and long lasting epic keep battles is one of the points that make DAoC RvR great, as you also said there were players that enjoyed the 8man game, some enjoy the massive battles (warmly known as zergs), others the siege heavy and tactically planned keep/tower fights and there's even solo and stealth combat. There's a different type of RvR for all the different tastes, but I do believe that the elitism of 8man > zerg has to end, I do remember back in mid gareth at one point, the realm being under heavy siege and mids would not unite to repel the enemies because "they rather 8man and do their thing".

• stealcianstealcian Member Posts: 6

short answer yes.

long answer , I would love to see DAOC redux or revisted as a sequel. Take the same exact game and make it like you would if they had started in 2010, not a prequel or even a true sequel.   This is a great game that already has a great gameplay at it's core. Upgraded graphics, updated quest system, some tweaks to the PVE gameplay. Keep the lore, keep the classes. Keep the basic spells and abilities. 

And please keep the melee system, of all the mmo's I have played DAOC has by far my favorite melee system. The positionals and reactionary's and combo chains are a blast. Other then the spell interuption system where i actually would prefer wow's pushback system don't change basic combat. And for the love of god no global timers. 

Don't copy anyone else, do what you have already proven you great at and do it even better for daoc 2.

and market the hell out of it, use real gameplay of rvr vids to show it off !

I would buy and play it in a second.

• spikeynormanspikeynorman Member UncommonPosts: 150

Hell to the yes. Honestly I've considered playing the original DAoC alot, specially being dissapointed with WAR.

We need a great MMO, and DAoC was the best!!

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion,I gain strength, through strength,I gain power,through power,I gain victory,through victory,my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

Depends....liked AC1...hated AC2

• AngorimAngorim Member Posts: 466

Originally posted by Horusra

Depends....liked AC1...hated AC2

Simple but true.

• Gardavil2Gardavil2 Member Posts: 394

I voted no for two reasons.

Number One:

MMOs are not operated by the same kind of folks that they were when DAoC first released... The Devs made a MMO for Players (and themselves) that respected the idea that classes should have advantages and disadvantages, that opposing factions should have fundemental differences such as strengths and weaknesses.... such design requires (even demands) that the Devs be more than just employees and it demands that the Developers have the final say it design of the MMO.

Such is no the case now in the MMO Industry. Investors are looked to to give either a thumbs up or a thumbs down to almost all design decisions in new MMOs... Investors that for the most are NOT players or Developers themselves... or that care more about the almighty buck than about crafting something special.

I now longer believe the people that really control the MMO Industry would allow a complex MMO like the original DAoC to even reach Alpha phase of testing... it requires too much commitment and investment to make them feel warm and fuzzy about it's potential for financial success. I also believe this is why Warhammer was a failure as a possible successor to DAoC.

Number Two:

My second reason is going hurt some people's feeelings at the very least, and maybe even get me banned from these forums...

The Players that the original DAoC was created for, that it was designed to attract as customers, can no longer be considered the "majority" in MMO Gaming. The Players that were attracted to MMOs back then wanted to cooperate and work together in an MMO, they wanted classes and races that were not balanced cookiecutter versions the same for each faction (or if not wanted they at least respected why they were not) and as such DAoC was a perfect place to waste thousands of countless hours simply enjoying a MMO with friends they met ingame... people who they never met in real life. We never quite never what to expect from the other factions simply because they were differnet... they had to be vanquished because they didn't think and "live" like our own faction... we couldn't even understand there language. This made RvR fun because it was easy to pretend the other Factions really were the bad guys. We had a riot, and I miss it. We had to depend on each other, and I miss that as well. We didn't have many quests to show us where to go, what to fight.... we just went exploring and found out ourselves what areas were worth spending time in, what places were fun, and what wasn't. I experienced much more a sense of Exploration in DAoC than I ever have in MMOs like LotRO or WoW where a NPC sends you to the next town.

Most Players NOW that profess to be MMO Gamers are not cut from the same clothe as Players were back then. They are a different breed that appreciates different features in a MMO than I do. Most Players now want a MMO where almost everyone can solo well, where almost any race is the same as any other except for graphics, where quests lead you from one place to the next, to the next, to the next. Players now want to play all the races, all the classes, and then brag about it on Facebook or on twitter. I cared nothing about bragging... I played in RvR to hold the Keep, or to take it... for the sheer satisfaction of a job well done and done well with other Players I needed and that needed me. Players themselves now overall are different because MMOs like WoW sought to attract them instead of attracting Players like me, because to be honest there a lot more Players that like WoW than Players that like DAoC. The Players now are not people like me, nor are they similar to most of the Players that originally played DAoC. They simply want a different kind of game.

Summary: Even if DAoC2 was made I would not play it, because what made DAoC special was the Players attracted to it and the Developers that made DAoC for different reasons than most Developers make MMOs now.... a paycheck instead of a passion.

MMOs, as I first loved them and experienced them, are extinct. This new breed of critter they call MMOs now I do not recognize, and it's not about graphics, or about sandbox versus themepark, it's about the Players and Developers/Publishers themselves. This is what has changed from where I stand.

I do not fault Blizzard for being financially successful, nor for reaching out and encouraging a whole new kind of Gamer to join the MMO ranks. I fault all the other MMo Development companies for locking step and marching right behind them and in the process forgetting Gamers like myself that loved DAoC for all it's problems and uniqueness while attempting to attract Gaming customers that Blizzard had already claimed as their own. All in the pursuit of the almighty buck.

I am the Player that wonders... "What the %#*& just happened?!"
    "I Believe... There should be NO financial connection or portals between the Real World and the Virtual in MMOs. "
    __Ever Present Cockroach of the MMO Verses__
    ...scurrying to and fro... .munching on bits of garbage... always under foot...

• LethanderLethander Member Posts: 54

Actually if they just updated the graphics of the current game and re-released it promoting the "New up to date graphics" I thinnk they'd get a lot of customers back and bring in a ton more. I am new to DAoC myself but did a review of my thoughts here.