Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are your top 8 Upcoming MMOs?

Comments

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

Originally posted by Consequence

Am I wrong? I read Dust 514 is console only. Since when is this a console site? And why do people put it on their lists?

Aye everything I have read has indicated that Dust will be console only. The reason I think its listed on an MMO site is due to it being tied directly to EVE Online which is an MMO. I don't think mmorpg discriminates against MMOs being PC or Console. If it's an MMO who cares which platform it's for?

• lornphoenixlornphoenix Member Posts: 993

1. SW:TOR

2: Guild Wars 2

3: Tera

4: FFXIV

5: Vindictus

6: JGE

7: BP

8: APB

• C0MAC0MA Member Posts: 522

1.) TERA

By far the most impressive game graphically and gameplay wise to be releasing in 2010. Action based combat that you can control and maintain using a 360 or PS3 controller. PvE looks engaging and skill based as the player controls the physical parries or dodges, this in turn swaps over to PvP. Skill will beat all G15 macros if this is the case.

2.) The Secret World

The lore is a nice change from the standard fantasy settings. The content finally pushes a "Horrorisk" genre of MMO's out as i'm sure it'll be a rising star in the dry spell of MMO's. The game has skill based leveling and revolves around PvP and RvR. This is the ideal direction multiplayer games are heading.

3.) Starwars

I have never played the first and I may never play the second as games 1 and 2 hold the majority of my interest but I respect the success and happiness the pre-remake had in part one. Game seems like a standard PvE casual PvP game from the things i've read and seen and if both 1 and 2 fail this is the most likely to get my dollar.

4.) Earthrise

Graphics, Actions, Sci-Fi, FPS... should be cool. Conceptually anyways.

5.) Mortal Online

Much like Earthrise... graphics, action, skill based PvP/PvE. Skill based leveling, full loot, full theivery system, full player housing and city building. Good concept but thus far poorly delivered.

6.) Blade & Soul

Looks cool and action based... but the question is can NC SOFT not flop like a sack of shit?

7.) Mythos

F2P diablo like game. Diablo was released in 96' and still no game has successfully accomplished the hack and slash dungeon multiplayer system it did... Bravo Blizzard... You are like the christ of the Multiplayer genre by this point.

8.) FFXIV

Some people may be like LAST!!! Oh noes! ... it's a PvE game. No PvP! chances are I will never... ever ... ever touch this.

"Sometimes people say stuff they don''t mean, but more often then that they don''t say things they do mean"

• britzbanbritzban Member UncommonPosts: 260

I have a top 5.  I don't have much interest in the others at this point.

5. DC Universe Online-  I was extremely disappointed in Champions. I still think City or Heroes/Villians is superior.  This game gives people hope for another great super hero mmorpg.

4. World of Darkness-  Its CCP. Enough said here.

3. All Points Bulletin- Its pretty much GTA online.  I love the cops vs robbers.

2. Guild Wars 2-  I love the pvp and the fact that you only have to buy the client. I will play this while waiting for the release of my number 1 game on my list.

1.  Star Wars :  The Old Republic-  I was a huge fan of Dark Forces 2, Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy. I played Galaxies and Knights of the Old Replublic. I love star wars games more than the movies and there has been some real crappy Star Wars games coming out over the last few years.   This game is going to be amazing.  Mythic is helping Bioware on this one.  An aging WoW will see a large amount of customers going to this game.

• CrosiusCrosius Member Posts: 129

Originally posted by Consequence

Am I wrong? I read Dust 514 is console only. Since when is this a console site? And why do people put it on their lists?

FFXI was on PS2. That doesn't make this site a "console site". QFT. Not to mention that Dust is going ALSO going to be an MMORPG. Which this site IS.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

1 Elder Scrolls MMO - the ultimate world-builders making an MMO is my all-time wet dream, I fell totally in love with Morrowind & Oblivion after it & this has already been in development some 4 years & might be a long time coming, I just pray it doesn't do a "Duke Nukem Forever"

2 Copernicus, 38 studios has an insane amount of top-drawr talent & Curt Schilling has put the bulk of his career earnings into this game, he also has a good understanding of the MMO market & everyone that has spoken about the game has hinted at some very solid & positive things.

3 World of Darkness, well I fell in love with the Vampire: The Masquerade & Bloodlines games & though I was never into the pen & paper stuff the lore & backstories & well just the whole universe was completely engrossing & I have a huge interest in this due to CPP/White Wolf & while I am not a fan of EVE there is no denying it's high pedigree.

4 Star Wars: The Old Republic, I think this will be a true MMO hybrid of "world building" mixed with theme park mixed with interactive adventure Novel, wrapped up in a filmic presentation, I have a lot of faith in BioWare delivering a top-notch game.

5 EverQuest "Next", played the Original for 8 years & while EQ2 was okay it didn't capture the feel of the original well enough to be a true sequel, I have high hopes for this.

6 The Secret World,  I'm hoping this will prove to be the mega-hit Funcom have been waiting years to have, the premise is fantastic the graphics engine mature & robust now & the producer is one of my favourite game devs of all time, so far everything looks ridiculously exciting & very promising.

7 Heroes of Telara, here because If they get the server tech right & pull off a truly dynamic gameworld as promised then this could herald the new wave of MMO's, pushing the genre forward & evolving it quite radically.

8 DCUO - as much as I like CoH it had as many flaws as saving graces and was far too repetitive, I'm hoping dcuo makes a big enough impact that it can shake up MMO's in general, a fast-paced city destroying behemoth of a game is what the dc license deserves, heres hoping soe can deliver it. 

Also keeping an eye open for  TERA, Earthrise, CoH2, GW2, The Agency, RED5's unnamed MMO, Blizzard's Unnamed MMO, Planetside 2, Xsyon, Dawntide, Forsaken World, unnamed Frogster/Runewaker jointly developed MMO,

• GoodAfternoonGoodAfternoon Member UncommonPosts: 252

apb

Rift

• Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 Member Posts: 647

These are the only one worth my time checking out:

1. SWTOR

2. Secret World

3. Tera

4. Guild War 2

• Capn23Capn23 Member Posts: 1,529

6. Earthrise

5. Guild Wars 2

4.The Secret World

3. SWTOR

2. ???

1. Profit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Guys! I'm hopelessly lost in a mountain of mole hills! Them damn moles!

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

There are 8 upcoming MMOs?

Only one that seems like its going to attempt anything new or interesting is Guild Wars 2, even though GW1 wasn't really an MMO. So long as there's no instances that'll be fine. 

Games like SWTOR.. .I consider single player games with a monthly fee. 

I would also be looking forward to EQ3 if all signs didn't point to EQ3 being a Free Realms type thing instead of a remake of EQ1. 

Originally posted by Garvon3

I wonder when people are going to stop using this line. Do some research bud. I challenge you to listen to some Darthhater podcasts.

Seriously...you don't realize how intellectually challenged that statement is.

• AcvivmAcvivm Member UncommonPosts: 323

1.Star Wars: TOR - I'll be playing it when it comes out...

2.Tera - I'll gauge it and maybe try it.

If they dont work out....oh well...guess I'll just go learn to play the piano or something.

HEAVEN OR HELL
    Duel 1
    Lets ROCK!

Originally posted by Capn23

I wonder when people are going to stop using this line. Do some research bud. I challenge you to listen to some Darthhater podcasts.

Devs themselves say 95% of the game is soloable. 

There are NPC parties so you don't have to group.

The game focuses around a scripted, linear, cinematic story, so it all has to take place in instances. 

Sounds pretty single player to me, maybe grab some real life friends. Then probably a raid instance or something tacked on to make it seem "massive". 

• marcuslmmarcuslm Member UncommonPosts: 263

The game focuses around a scripted, linear, cinematic story, so it all has to take place in instances. 

Sounds pretty single player to me, maybe grab some real life friends. Then probably a raid instance or something tacked on to make it seem "massive". 

You know, I've played Guild Wars and that is one extremely instanced game...yet I don't see post after post complaining that it's not an MMORPG. Personally I don't care what you call them or how you categorize them, if it's cool and fun to play then why get hung up on labels.

Marcus

Originally posted by marcuslm

You know, I've played Guild Wars and that is one extremely instanced game...yet I don't see post after post complaining that it's not an MMORPG. Personally I don't care what you call them or how you categorize them, if it's cool and fun to play then why get hung up on labels.

Marcus

You've never seen people post about how GW isn't an MMO? Must not have been on these boards... or any boards, for that long. But most people don't mind either way. Know why?

Because Guild Wars doesn't charge a monthly fee. That's the huge difference. 

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

EIGHT??!!  I don't think I can come up with eight that I'm interested in at all.

Here's what I am looking forward to, but whichever one wins my heart, will likely just be an addition to my current MMO bill, so I hope we have the medical bills paid by then.  If not...it's unlikely that my family and I will drop what we're playing now for a new game unless it is HELLA blow us out of the water awesome.

My / Our List of Games We Will Indeed Try:

1- The Secret World (our greatest hope...and we'd probably live on mac and cheese to play it if necessary, IF it's good)

2- The Agency (yes, I know it's SoE, but unlike some...I don't hate SoE and I've always wanted to RP a spy)

3- World of Darkness (IF it ever materializes at ALL...it's taking too damn long and I've been waiting for a vampire MMO a long long long fuckin' time. The wait is wearing on me.)

4- GW2 (IF it's really going to be an MMO this time and not an MOG over-instanced PvP mostly thing...and...it appears this time they ARE going for a more MMORPG style, so...I have hope.)

Games I May Try On My Own Without the Fam But I Have MUCH LESS INTEREST in:

1- The Old Republic (not a big space fan, but loved KotOR, so worth a shot)

2- TERA (suspicious that it may just be another fancier Asian-style grinder)

3- FFXIV (maybe...I'm not sold yet)

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• krowxxviikrowxxvii Member Posts: 177

(1) GW2 - Because it's a new and fresh take on Guild Wars.

(2) TERA - I am very intrigued by the Lancer class.

(3) SWTOR - I normally steer clear of games that are based on existing IPs, but Bioware may actually do something wonderful with the Star Wars IP.

(4) FFXIV - I've been playing FF games since as long as I can remember.

Those are the only games I will pay any attention.

You can't use the tools if you don't know they exist...
    http://www.ic3.gov - Internet Crime Complaint Center - Report cyber crimes to the FBI.

http://www.spamcop.net - SpamCop.net - Report spam and scam emails.

http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/ - Network Solutions WHOIS - Investigate and reveal suspcious websites.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

1. SWTOR

2. GW2

3. TSW

4. APB

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by marcuslm

...clipped....

Marcus

You don't see that stated a lot here because Guild Wars developers THEMSELVES say it's not an MMORPG, so....there's really nothing to argue about.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

Yah...and most MMOs out today are soloable all the way up to level cap. I'm not disappointed that I'm getting what I expected.

There is ONE companion. However, they are in the process of making ways to reward those who group.

You kinda forgot the whole choice thing, but whatever. I mean, choices that alter the story is something we see in every MMO these days, right? And how does it have to take place in an instance? They've said that around 90% of the game is open world. I think you're exaggerating a bit.

All that we've been presented with so far is story stuff, world stuff, and class stuff but not a whole lot about the game mechanics. I think you should be a little less judgemental. We don't have the nitty gritty details yet, so all you're going on is one big assumption. I'm sure you know all about those who assume and such. We haven't seen crafting, we haven't seen raiding and dungeons, we haven't seen PvP, we haven't seen the systems in place that promote community. It's too early to make a judgement call.

Like I said...listen to some DarthHater podcasts. Very informative.

• LorkLork Member Posts: 338

Yah...and most MMOs out today are soloable all the way up to level cap. I'm not disappointed that I'm getting what I expected.

There is ONE companion. However, they are in the process of making ways to reward those who group.

You kinda forgot the whole choice thing, but whatever. I mean, choices that alter the story is something we see in every MMO these days, right? And how does it have to take place in an instance? They've said that around 90% of the game is open world. I think you're exaggerating a bit.

All that we've been presented with so far is story stuff, world stuff, and class stuff but not a whole lot about the game mechanics. I think you should be a little less judgemental. We don't have the nitty gritty details yet, so all you're going on is one big assumption. I'm sure you know all about those who assume and such. We haven't seen crafting, we haven't seen raiding and dungeons, we haven't seen PvP, we haven't seen the systems in place that promote community. It's too early to make a judgement call.

You're prejudice too.

Bioware has made the same kind of game for 20 years.

Very linear RPGs. 

Why would SWTOR be any different? And of course its instanced, how else is it going to be crafted to the player and have cinematics if its not in an instance? 

• EA84EA84 Member Posts: 30

1) SWTOR

2) The Secret World

3) Tera

4) ABP

Very linear RPGs. 

Why would SWTOR be any different? And of course its instanced, how else is it going to be crafted to the player and have cinematics if its not in an instance? 

Blizzard made the same kind of RTS up until WoW.

Why would WoW be differe-...owait...

From what we have seen so far, player cinematics have occured when interacting with NPCs. I think what happens is you sort of go into a parallel world where the NPCs interact on your screen, but no one else sees them doing it. All they see is you standing there talking to the NPCs, like you would see someone get a quest in WoW or AoC or Warhammer or LotRO or Fallen Earth or Vanguard or EQ2...etc. *WARNING* This is just the impression I got from doing research. This, too, hasn't been fleshed out and given tons of detail.

And yes, I'm biased, just like everyone else on this website.

• LorkLork Member Posts: 338

Very linear RPGs. 

Blizzard made the same kind of RTS up until WoW.

Why would WoW be differe-...owait...

From what we have seen so far, player cinematics have occured when interacting with NPCs. I think what happens is you sort of go into a parallel world where the NPCs interact on your screen, but no one else sees them doing it. All they see is you standing there talking to the NPCs, like you would see someone get a quest in WoW or AoC or Warhammer or LotRO or Fallen Earth or Vanguard or EQ2...etc. *WARNING* This is just the impression I got from doing research. This, too, hasn't been fleshed out and given tons of detail.

And yes, I'm biased, just like everyone else on this website.

What? Blizzard has other IPs.