Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WHY play TOR?

Comments

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Originally posted by demonic87

This post basically says "Who cares if it sucks, Im going to play it regardless!". People like this are the reason why mmo's are so sh1t in this decade. People will buy stuff regardless of its quality.

But, but okay lis'n to me here, theres few resonz why its good: A) Its basd on Star Wars.

and B) Its made by Bioware.

So it haes to be good. 

Everi1 who dosnt think so can go to hell.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

First of all your grammar sucks, second of all Bioware is overrated. The "amazing" stories they make are all extremely cliche, and obviously they are running out of creativity, when you see that mass effect 2 has the same concept as dragon age, run around, gather people, fight big threat. I have no doubts that this would be a good game, but if the OP's views became true, then there really is no reason to play this game.

And third of all, I was being sarcastic. I tried to make it as obvious as possible with my grammer, but meh.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

We've seen opinion, lets look at what we KNOW Bioware has planned for the game.

Originally posted by Faelsun

Lets go over some key points we can surmise by going to the Old Republic Forums and reading the Dev Blog.

1: Gear Based.

Gear has stats, confirmed in a video. Gear has stats in pretty much every MMO, including sandbox MMOs. New gear having higher stats doesn't automatically make the game based only around gear.

2: Themepark.

Confirmed by a developer blog, the BioWare dev team has stated they are looking to make a game with both themepark and sandbox gameplay.  Confirmed by an early developer interview, SWTOR will have non-linear gameplay.

3: Easy PVE content.

Confirmed by the developers at BioWare, they want players to always feel as though they are outnumbered as was how the movies had shown the heroes.  The only "easy" combat we've seen have been in testing videos where they are displaying game mechanics to a crowd. All this tells us is that they don't want players to die continuously when play-testing the game at game conferences.

4: Carebear PVP content.

We have no information on the PvP content, but if you're looking for full loot with harsh death penalties, you won't find it here.  Most people don't want harsh death penalties. Might want to look into another genre of games if this is really a killer for you because most games don't have harsh death penalties either.  Apart from that,  as the developers have stated they are putting an emphasis on the "Wars" part of star wars, and have plenty of PvP content planned.

5: Lore will get tossed aside for end game Progression.

The entire story line (which is their progression tool) tells about your story, and lore, and progresses you through the game.  In no way does this get tossed aside for end game progression, in fact, the Lore IS the progression.  Just as it was in the old KOTOR games and most BioWare games, your story coincides with the lore.  This is pretty weak, especially for someone who claimed to follow this game for awhile.

6: Crafting will be bad or non existant.

Crafting has been confirmed to be in the game. So there goes non-existent.  We do not know to what extent people will be able to craft, but the developers have stated that they are going to have everything in TOR that other MMOs do including crafting.  

7: Class balance is going to be laughable.

You have absolutely no way of knowing that.  Everyone thinks that Jedis will be overpowered, but the developers already stated that they are working on balancing and that they believe that the best commando could take out a sith, and the best bounty hunter could take out a jedi.  That means the classes will be balanced against eachother at certain points.  Each class will also have specific skills catering to the players play style.  So your term laughable, makes no sense, as you have no idea how class balance will turn out, other then BioWare already stating that the classes will be balanced.

Thats just a few but honestly other than being Star Wars, what will the game offer that WOTLK doesn't already have?

Fully Voiced Story progression, alignment based skill progression, star wars / sci fi themed, more content, faster combat. Just to name a few.  

A themepark with no crafting, bad class balance issues, Over the top progression loot and Burst issues, Soft or easy Raid content and bad PVP balance. ITs not just going to be a themepark the PVE and PVP content will be laugable.

The real thing that is laughable is how badly misinformed this post was.  No.. no, it wasn't laughable, more sad that someone who thinks they've been following the game could know so little.

I mean can you think of a reason OTHER than it being Star Wars to play this game?

Already mentioned a few of them, but its BioWare, its being catered to a wide range of fans including the BioWare fans of KOTOR which sold millions.  The game is catering to both Groups and Solo play from the first level to the last, confirmed by BioWare.  They confirmed they want you to play the game from level one by yourself, or with 20 people if you want.  

I have been on the Forums over there since 08 and the only meaningful Dev posts are a interview reassuring Ensidia the game will have heavy raid content, and some blog posts about how exited they are over the loot drops, and if you watch any of the videos, the combat looks a rediculously one deminsional auto attack system.

Never seen a dev post stating anything about heavy loot drops or their excitement geared towards them. They did confirm raiding will be there for end game content for those that like raids. There is no auto attack in TOR.

Your post has little actual information about SWTOR, so why play it?  Well you won't be there hopefully, so thats one reason I'm considering it.  People who automatically dislike a game based on made up assumptions are not the kind of people I'd like to see in a game I'm interested in.

You don't like how the combat looks? Fine, but theres too much conjecture on the other features from you, when so much has already been confirmed that makes me see your entire post as a troll.  Either you know these features are in the game and the developers spoke about them and you're making this up, or you didn't know this is what BioWare has stated, and you know now.

• KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452

I have no doubts that this would be a good game, but if the OP's views became true, then there really is no reason to play this game.

Fair enough...

But all you have to do is dig and read a little (mostly on the Forums or Darth Hater) and almost all of the OP's views can be quickly refuted...The only reason BioWare/Lucas/EA have been less than forthcoming with real details is the fact that they still have about a Year to hype this Game...And we're going to get it piece by painstakingly slow piece...They're not going to go in depth about the Crafting, PvP, or anything else until they're ready to...And that's that...

The truth is when this Game comes out everybody and their Mother is going to buy it and Play it for 30 days...Beyond that it's anyones guess (at least at this point) what will happen...But I don't see any reason to doubt this is going to be a AAA MMO that will stand on it's own quite well...I think some Folks are just a bit edgy cause STO was such a monumentally boring flop...I really doubt SWTOR will be as bad as STO...In fact I'm 100% sure it's going to be a lot better...But that's not exactly going out on a limb either...

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

Originally posted by KyngBills

I have no doubts that this would be a good game, but if the OP's views became true, then there really is no reason to play this game.

Fair enough...

But all you have to do is dig and read a little (mostly on the Forums or Darth Hater) and almost all of the OP's views can be quickly refuted...The only reason BioWare/Lucas/EA have been less than forthcoming with real details is the fact that they still have about a Year to hype this Game...And we're going to get it piece by painstakingly slow piece...They're not going to go in depth about the Crafting, PvP, or anything else until they're ready to...And that's that...

The truth is when this Game comes out everybody and their Mother is going to buy it and Play it for 30 days...Beyond that it's anyones guess (at least at this point) what will happen...But I don't see any reason to doubt this is going to be a AAA MMO that will stand on it's own quite well...I think some Folks are just a bit edgy cause STO was such a monumentally boring flop...I really doubt SWTOR will be as bad as STO...In fact I'm 100% sure it's going to be a lot better...But that's not exactly going out on a limb either...

Fanbois will be rabid for this game.

You release one detail, Fanbois will write this in stone as the gospel of The Old Republic, and if it's changed before release there will be moaning and wailing and crying. OMG! The developers have ruined the game, they have sold out, it will be a pay to play Beta! run for the hills, ahahahahaaaaahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!1

So not releasing anything about the game while it's subject to change is a good idea. 

WAR was a great example. The Devs made all sorts of blogs about everything they wanted to do, and a lot of it didnt' make  it into release, so the game didn't match the hype, and there was much fanboi crying and many panties were in a bunch.

• ShadewalkerShadewalker Member Posts: 299

The truth is when this Game comes out everybody and their Mother is going to buy it and Play it for 30 days...

That may seem to be the case today, but remember that we have another year's drip-feed publicity to go so that by the time of the launch people may actually be quite  bored by the whole anti-climax thing, and also bear in mind there will be leaks from beta.People are assuming it will be a great game at launch but if it should turn out not to be so good in beta then a good many will hold fire and see how it turns out after launch. Never under-estimate the significance of people having had their fingers burnt on VG, AoC, WAR, TR, CO and STO.

Plus there's also the issue of the business model. As I understand it we don't have a firm indication yet whether it will be a P2P, F2P or hybrid, and that could influence quite a lot of people. The way that side of things is handled can also turn a community away from a game overnight as has been seen with the cash shop fiasco with Allods.

I treat box sale projections, player number projections, and game quality projections all the same way - it's simply far too early to call, not least because with a year to go the game simply isn't anywhere near ready. We can't even say with confidence this early whether it will actually be released in the form currently being promoted or whether technical/financial issues will result in it being scaled down nearer launch as has happened with other MMO's.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Ihmotepp, over time I've come to greatly respect your posts even if we disagree but I really do have to ask this... please stop calling people fanbois. Its degrading. There's nothing wrong with being a fan of something, and everyone is a fan of something or someone. Calling them "fanbois" turns them into nothing more than nutcases. 

• SpellforgedSpellforged Member UncommonPosts: 458

I think you should just chill and wait until more info is released.

1: What mmo isn't gear based?

2: Is EQ2 considered themepark?  I remember having a ton of different things to do and places to go.  That could be the case with TOR.

3: That's not really a bad thing.  I believe they said you can solo all the way, but I'm sure grouping has it's rewards.

4: No full loot?! This is madness!

5: I don't believe you can prove this one.  They said many times that the game will have a HEAVY focus on story.

6: I suppose you're just guessing on this one, but I can't think of a single mmo that has perfect class balance.

I think most of your points are just made up based on the vague information out there.  We should wait until more info is released before claiming the game to be a failure/success.

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Lets cut out the personal attacks and voice our opinions in constructive ways.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Originally posted by Ujirik

Most good MMOs with some design depth has something to do other than mindlessly and endlessly grind for gear. 

2: Is EQ2 considered themepark?  I remember having a ton of different things to do and places to go.  That could be the case with TOR. 

EQ2 was kind of the middle road. It came out right before MMOs began to be entirely solo focused an linear, so while it is themepark leaning, it has a slight sandbox feel. However, every MMO since then has been so linear it hurts, following WoW's exampled, and instanced out of control. That is the "successful model" that SWTOR will be following, as they're trying to make a storyline based MMO using said instances to tell the story. Bioware doesn't do sandbox, they ONLY make LINEAR RPGs. Always have. 

3: That's not really a bad thing.  I believe they said you can solo all the way, but I'm sure grouping has it's rewards.

If a game allows you to solo all the way in something, there is little to no benefit to grouping and the entire feel and focus of the game is shifted to the single player aspect. Considering Bioware makes single player games, this is hardly surprising. Dumbed down for the masses, because they have to see a big return on their investment, so rest assured, there will be NO risk vs reward, there will be NOTHING that could POSSIBLY scare someone away with complexity. 

Since when does good PvP have to be full loot? Go play Dark Age of Camelot, which still stands as a shining example of how to do PvP right. 

5: I don't believe you can prove this one.  They said many times that the game will have a HEAVY focus on story.

Crafting is another one of those complex things that might scare away players. Since almost the entire focus of marketing so far has been about the single player scripted voice acted linear instanced quests, I highly doubt we'll see much complexity passed that.

6: I suppose you're just guessing on this one, but I can't think of a single mmo that has perfect class balance.

I have no comment on this, as we do not know.

I think most of your points are just made up based on the vague information out there.  We should wait until more info is released before claiming the game to be a failure/success.

Here we go.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Why play TOR?

1. It's Star Wars (I'm no hardcore SW fan, but its lore and universe is vast)

2. It's being developed by Bioware.

3. They have gotten a big bag of money to make this MMO work. Talented developer + heaps of cash = promising MMO (=> has potential, doesn't mean it'll be everyone's wet dream come true)

4. It's something else than yet another MMO with elves, dwarves and orcs. Now if I could shoot elves, dwarves and orcs with mah lazer or slice them into hobbit size, I'd be a completely happy beaver.

5. Trailers and interviews and such show that storytelling and atmosphere won't be forgotten or stapled onto the MMO as a 3rd arm.

6. It'll be a fresh, new MMO to toy around with for as long as it entertains.

Any more questions?

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Lets go over some key points we can surmise by going to the Old Republic Forums and reading the Dev Blog.

Thats just a few but honestly other than being Star Wars, what will the game offer that WOTLK doesn't already have?

A themepark with no crafting, bad class balance issues, Over the top progression loot and Burst issues, Soft or easy Raid content and bad PVP balance. ITs not just going to be a themepark the PVE and PVP content will be laugable.

I mean can you think of a reason OTHER than it being Star Wars to play this game?

I have been on the Forums over there since 08 and the only meaningful Dev posts are a interview reassuring Ensidia the game will have heavy raid content, and some blog posts about how exited they are over the loot drops, and if you watch any of the videos, the combat looks a rediculously one deminsional auto attack system.

Your list looks highly suspect to me. How do you know that the game will be like this?

• throckmortonthrockmorton Member Posts: 314

That and that Bioware usually makes some pretty interesting stories. It will be worth it to play the game through at least once.

Other than that, I agree with your 7 points, and I don't think TOR will be a fun game to play long term.

• AlivadaAlivada Member Posts: 86

Because I want to get it on with an alien chick.

But seriously the game looks actually rather fun, plus it's made by Bioware a developer that I have the most respect for when it comes down to creating great games.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Fair enough...

But all you have to do is dig and read a little (mostly on the Forums or Darth Hater) and almost all of the OP's views can be quickly refuted...The only reason BioWare/Lucas/EA have been less than forthcoming with real details is the fact that they still have about a Year to hype this Game

How do you know that that is the only reason? Perhaps they haven't yet decided how things like PvP and crafting are going to be handled.How much experience has BioWare with such game aspects?

..And we're going to get it piece by painstakingly slow piece...They're not going to go in depth about the Crafting, PvP, or anything else until they're ready to...And that's that...

And if they don't, and PvP and Crafting are still pretty much unshown and unexplained at release?

The truth is when this Game comes out everybody and their Mother is going to buy it and Play it for 30 days

Not if the rumours of a cash shop are accurate.

...Beyond that it's anyones guess (at least at this point) what will happen...But I don't see any reason to doubt this is going to be a AAA MMO that will stand on it's own quite well...I think some Folks are just a bit edgy cause STO was such a monumentally boring flop...I really doubt SWTOR will be as bad as STO...In fact I'm 100% sure it's going to be a lot better...But that's not exactly going out on a limb either...

There's lots of reason to doubt it. Never having made an MMORPG before is a huge reason. The allocation of resources to story and voice acting is another. Has BioWare ever made a space combat game? Another reason to be concerned - unless Star Wars doesn't mean space battles to you (and that is just baffling to me).

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• Hellscream07Hellscream07 Member Posts: 123

Why posting a thread about why playing a game that is not even finished, stating that the game (that wasn't released) is bad? Unless you've already played it and know things we don't, all of the above are conjectures at best. I'd suggest you wait for the game to launch and, if your reasons still apply, THEN post this and we'll be talk bout it.

Originally posted by Hellscream07

Why posting a thread about why playing a game that is not even finished, stating that the game (that wasn't released) is bad? Unless you've already played it and know things we don't, all of the above are conjectures at best. I'd suggest you wait for the game to launch and, if your reasons still apply, THEN post this and we'll be talk bout it.

Do you even know what this site is about? Idle speculation is a major part of the content here. Do you object to favourable speculation as well, or just negative?

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Originally posted by cyphers

Why play TOR?

1. It's Star Wars (I'm no hardcore SW fan, but its lore and universe is vast)

2. It's being developed by Bioware.

Bioware makes SINGLEPLAYER games, very very limited and linear singleplayer games. 

3. They have gotten a big bag of money to make this MMO work. Talented developer + heaps of cash = promising MMO (=> has potential, doesn't mean it'll be everyone's wet dream come true)

Talented developers for SINGLEPLAYER games. And you know what happened to the last two HUGE big budget games? They nearly bankrupted the companies that made them, WAR and AOC. 

4. It's something else than yet another MMO with elves, dwarves and orcs. Now if I could shoot elves, dwarves and orcs with mah lazer or slice them into hobbit size, I'd be a completely happy beaver.

5. Trailers and interviews and such show that storytelling and atmosphere won't be forgotten or stapled onto the MMO as a 3rd arm.

No, instead the MMO will be built around story telling. Which means, linear, scripted, instanced world, rather than a virtual world. This would be fine if they weren't charging a monthly fee. 

6. It'll be a fresh, new MMO to toy around with for as long as it entertains.

Any more questions?

Some comments. 

Everyone seems to be harping on " but Bioware writes good stories! it's gonna have voice acting!" seems like most of you would be happier if this was KOTOR 3 instead of a single player MMO. I know I'd be happier. A monthly fee for the stuff they're offering is stupid. 

• Hellscream07Hellscream07 Member Posts: 123

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Do you even know what this site is about? Idle speculation is a major part of the content here. Do you object to favourable speculation as well, or just negative?

Just the same, if it doesn't have any grounds. Stating that it'll be just like Wotlk because "Lore will get tossed aside for end game Progression" or "Class balance is going to be laughable" doesn't have any sense, since we don't know. I could agree with the first 3 points, and even then we have other themepark, gear based MMOs that people plays (then again, not all of them did a good job, but that's another story).

And no, I'm not a TOR fanboi. Hardly my most expected MMO for 2010, but I have faith in Bioware. Even though it doesn't sound like a long term MMO, I'll gladly buy it and play while it lasts.

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

I see so many people speculating about TOR. A game that's still one full year from release. It may become a big success or a  mediocrity or a spectacular failure. But we CAN'T possibly know that. Do people in here actualy visit TOR's website to read the news updates?

Take a look at this: http://www.swtor.com/news/blog/20100402_001  In this article a developer is revealing the path they are walking  regarding some key aspects of the game like solo & grouped play, crafting as well as  their approach towards the theme park vs sandbox issue. It's a good read.

This: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=2879 is also a good place to find some solid info about TOR with numerous developer interviews. It takes time to read all that stuff but if someone want's to participate in a serious debate about the game then there is no other way.

And no, I'm not a TOR fanboi. Hardly my most expected MMO for 2010, but I have faith in Bioware. Even though it doesn't sound like a long term MMO, I'll gladly buy it and play while it lasts.

How do you know you will buy it - when you don't know what it will be like?

A lot of people had 'faith' in Mythic when we were discussing issues with that game prior to release.

Faith is not a rational frame of mind.

• PsythosPsythos Member UncommonPosts: 124

Being signed up to a website and actually comprehending the info on the site are clearly 2 different thing's.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

How do you know you will buy it - when you don't know what it will be like?

A lot of people had 'faith' in Mythic when we were discussing issues with that game prior to release.

Faith is not a rational frame of mind.

Well, in that avenue, lets talk about best case and worst case as far as gameplay and  mechanics go.  Best case scenario, BioWare creates an amazing MMO touting everything they've stated and more, making their fan base incredibly happy.

Worst case scenario, they miss out on the MMO features and instead create an online single player campaign similar to TOR games.  

Even their worst case scenario looks good to me.  Bugs and server stability aren't even an issue with me, with the standards of BioWare, EA and even Mythic, there are no signs pointing to issues regarding stability or massive gamebreaking launch bugs like other developers have.

So, as far as the spectrum of Best to Worst, I don't see their failure to create an MMO experience being an issue as far as playability and enjoyment for myself... BUT since this WILL BE an MMO, it will only increase my enjoyment of it.  SO even in the worst case scenario, I will buy this game.. if I can say that then I'm ready for any shade of gray.

Faith may not be "rational", but there is no faith needed in determining whether or not a trusted developer can put out at the very least, the same quality as they previously had.  There is much more faith needed to the people hating this game and expecting it to fail because it isn't a sandbox game like they wish it to be.  Faith should be reserved for those that believe games like Xyson and Mortal online will be able to release and competently run their games in a virtually playable manner.

• SpellforgedSpellforged Member UncommonPosts: 458

Originally posted by Garvon3

Most good MMOs with some design depth has something to do other than mindlessly and endlessly grind for gear. 

Every MMO has something to do other than mindlessly grind for gear.  The point is that if a game has equipment that boost stats, it will be gear based.  People will want to get the best gear regardless of other activities; the only real difference is in how you obtain the gear.  I guess most people here prefer crafting endlessly to obtain the good gear.

EQ2 was kind of the middle road. It came out right before MMOs began to be entirely solo focused an linear, so while it is themepark leaning, it has a slight sandbox feel. However, every MMO since then has been so linear it hurts, following WoW's exampled, and instanced out of control. That is the "successful model" that SWTOR will be following, as they're trying to make a storyline based MMO using said instances to tell the story. Bioware doesn't do sandbox, they ONLY make LINEAR RPGs. Always have. 

I wouldn't really say WoW is more linear than EQ2.  I only played it until around level 40, but I remember having at least 3 different areas to quest in for every level.  You don't even have to quest to level these days, since they added the random dungeon thing.

If a game allows you to solo all the way in something, there is little to no benefit to grouping and the entire feel and focus of the game is shifted to the single player aspect. Considering Bioware makes single player games, this is hardly surprising. Dumbed down for the masses, because they have to see a big return on their investment, so rest assured, there will be NO risk vs reward, there will be NOTHING that could POSSIBLY scare someone away with complexity. 

I can't think of a single game that doesn't have a benefit for grouping.  You can't get any of the good gear or do the harder quests in WoW.  EQ2 is also soloable until max, but has plenty of rewarding things to do in a group.  These solo to max games allow you to level without a party, but usually reward you for teamwork, whether that be defeating bosses, obtaining rare items, or something else.

Since when does good PvP have to be full loot? Go play Dark Age of Camelot, which still stands as a shining example of how to do PvP right. 

He said it will have Carebear PvP.  That's implying the game won't have full loot/experience loss on death in PvP.

Crafting is another one of those complex things that might scare away players. Since almost the entire focus of marketing so far has been about the single player scripted voice acted linear instanced quests, I highly doubt we'll see much complexity passed that.

This one was supposed to be about the lore being tossed aside.  I guess I missed the one about crafting :P

I wouldn't say crafting is complex in the least bit.  It's just another grind for good equips in a gear based game.  I guess some people feel special thinking that they created the item though.

I have no comment on this, as we do not know.

I feel like it's Christmas time or something.

• bedrock1977bedrock1977 Member UncommonPosts: 38

Originally posted by Comnitus

Because I want to. Next topic, please.

Exactly what I was thinking.... /agree

Played: DAoC 6 years, WoW 2 years, Ultima/EQ 1+ years, AoC/Aion/Rift/SWTOR a few months
    Tried: Warhammer, EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and many, many others...
    Currently Playing: DAOC