Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why arent people talking more about games.....

Like Vindictus/Mabinogi Heroes and Dragon Nest? hopefully these types of games are the future of mmo's. So sick of the current combat in today's mmo's. God of War style combat ftw.

Comments

• NetzokoNetzoko Member Posts: 1,271

The general population on this site hate F2P.

But even with that said, those games arn't really that exciting. Age of Conan had next generation combat and graphics and bombed horribly. People don't care about prettier graphics. Could gameplay use improvements? Absolutely, but not at the cost of being a typical asian grindfest.

-------------------------

• decoy26517decoy26517 Member Posts: 313

The general population of this site hates anything that isn't EQ1, Eve or Darkfall.

"World of Warcraft is the perfect implementation of this genre." - Hilmar Petursson. CEO of CCP.

• Naturalist99Naturalist99 Member Posts: 182

Originally posted by decoy26517

The general population of this site hates anything that isn't EQ1, Eve or Darkfall.

True in so many ways, one of the best ways to describe the community of this sight's likings.

MMOs played: Too many
    Watch List: FFXIV, CoH:GR, GW2, SWTOR, TERA, Earthrise

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Originally posted by Netzoko

People don't care about prettier graphics. Could gameplay use improvements? Absolutely, but not at the cost of being a typical asian grindfest.

Two things to say;

1. People *always* say what they want, but have no clue what it really is.

2. If gameplay is that good, then any idea of a grind to it is in your head. If repetition sets in way too early, it's usually your personal problem for wanting/waiting to hit the wall in the first place.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

The only F2P game I have ever tried, over many years, that didn't both suck AND blow was Guild Wars.  The rest were long on constant, ear-splitting "heee-YA" noises when fighting, melee combat with so many pointless flashy effects that it would put an epileptic strobe light in the shade, female characters disturbingly dressed up like schoolgirl hookers, male characters that look like anorexic teenage females and monsters that look like something salvaged from the cutting room floor of a really, really bad anime cartoon that was aimed at the pre-school market.

Then there's the inevitable, tedious, mind-numbingly boring grind, where you kill hundreds upon hundreds of mobs per level, for rewards so pitiful that you realise why they sneakily have a Cash Shop - THAT'S where the real goodies are.

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

Originally posted by Netzoko

The general population on this site hate F2P.

But even with that said, those games arn't really that exciting. Age of Conan had next generation combat and graphics and bombed horribly. People don't care about prettier graphics. Could gameplay use improvements? Absolutely, but not at the cost of being a typical asian grindfest.

AoC came up with a revolutionary combat system but then ruined it by making casters that didn't even have to melee super over powered. One thing I can't stand in any game is bad unballanced pvp and AoC was one of the worst offenders. AoC deserved to fail for thinking that would fly with the pvp base they were going after.

Vindictus only has 3 classes so it is all about player twitch skill rather than class or gear.  The "mage" still has to melee in Vindictus and any range combat such as: arrows, slings, spears has to be manually aimed. There is no point and click targeting in this game and no hotbars of any kind. I really think Vindictus has this next-gen combat nailed down pat when other games failed.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Originally posted by wireyankee

Like Vindictus/Mabinogi Heroes and Dragon Nest? hopefully these types of games are the future of mmo's. So sick of the current combat in today's mmo's. God of War style combat ftw.

Most people on these forums hope that the "future of mmo's" will be games that are identical to the games of 10 years ago.

• kjames423kjames423 Member Posts: 47

Originally posted by Dibdabs

The only F2P game I have ever tried, over many years, that didn't both suck AND blow was Guild Wars.  The rest were long on constant, ear-splitting "heee-YA" noises when fighting, melee combat with so many pointless flashy effects that it would put an epileptic strobe light in the shade, female characters disturbingly dressed up like schoolgirl hookers, male characters that look like anorexic teenage females and monsters that look like something salvaged from the cutting room floor of a really, really bad anime cartoon that was aimed at the pre-school market.

Then there's the inevitable, tedious, mind-numbingly boring grind, where you kill hundreds upon hundreds of mobs per level, for rewards so pitiful that you realise why they sneakily have a Cash Shop - THAT'S where the real goodies are.

Guild Wars isn't F2P, it's B2P. If you have to pay money to play something then it isn't free. You buy it to play it.

Past: Can never go back to Wow.
    Present: Nothing interesting out.
    Future: Looking forward to GW2.

• VexeVexe Member Posts: 549

I'm really looking forward to those games. Especially Dragon Nest. I like cartoony when done well. Also the fast that it has distortion effects AND things coming in and out of focus seals the deal or me. I like effects.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

The general population of this site hates anything that isn't EQ1, Eve or Darkfall with good reason.

Fixed that for you.

As others have said, P2W  games are a pariah for most of us, we're not going down that road.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DoomsDay01DoomsDay01 Member UncommonPosts: 783

Originally posted by Banquetto

Most people on these forums hope that the "future of mmo's" will be games that are identical to the games of 10 years ago.

I am a big fan of EQ1 and also hated it at the same time. I don't think most people want games that are identical to those 10 years ago. They are simply tired of games handing everything to you on a gold plated platter when you didn't really earn it. None of todays general gameplay requires hardly any thought at all and combat is usually over faster than you can say this sentence. Combat is shallow in todays games, there simply is nothing in them that make you think before you zerg. Many of those early games are games that made people think before they lept and if they didn't, the penalty was harsh. Unlike todays games that give you a bandaid and kiss the boo boo for you.

Apparently this isn't bad or games like wow wouldn't have the millions of people playing that they do, but that doesn't make them the best games ever either. For example, look back at EQ before all of the expansions and alternate points. It required teamwork, it required people to know how to play their classes and  zerging was an imposability. It was true exploration at its finest. You didn't just run around until you had everything mapped out. You had to learn the terrain, you had to be cautious and aware of everything around you.

Games of today lack one major component and that is FEAR. There is no fear in anything made today. You dont have to worry about dying, or getting your equipement back or death penalties. You don't have to fear anything in them. Without the fear of loss you can not have the sheer excitement of the win. It pales in comparrison to winning something in yesteryears mmo's because you have no chance of really losing anything. The worst thing that can happen to someone in todays mmos is someone might get annoyed if they die. The stories I could tell you of things that happened to me and others in EQ1 could curl your hair. The stories I could tell you about the games today couldn't even make your hair frizz any.

So its not about wanting games we had in the past, its about wanting games that have depth and meaning. Its about connecting with your character, about pride and true accomplishments. Its about winning battles when there was an actual chance of losing something more than just being annoyed that you lost. Its about risk, Its about fear. None of which are in todays games.

• slessmanslessman Member Posts: 181

I agree that more open discussion of games is needed. I am talking about all types of games whether they be free to play or pay to play. I may not be interested in F2P games, but at least I am able to talk about it.

www.ryzom.com

• KordeshKordesh Member Posts: 1,715

I actually just discovered Mabinogi (well, I've known about it for forever, but never actually tried it before) and it's everything I've always wanted ;; (well, mostly). Now I look back and regret every time I saw the name and completely ignored it ;;. I'm sorry Mabinogi, forgive me?

Bans a perma, but so are sigs in necro posts.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

This is the mmorpg video game sub-genre forums.

IN mmo land development time takes from 5-8 years for each game. Considering all F2p games suck fat hairy nuts and 90% of the P2p games suck also were stuck talking about WoW, Eve or a handful of other games.

We will turn our attention toward a new game once either FFIV or TOR releases.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• GaleoGaleo Member Posts: 3

LOL, it is so true that people will say what the ywant and yet still complain about what they want.  The "average gamer" will never be satisfied.  The gamng community, in my own opinion, is kinda corrupted.  Nowadays, more focus is put on P2P MMOs than F2P games, then again not all of us have the mone yso we then debate on F2P MMOs.  As for talking about games, it takes a lot of hard work but it usuallydepends on the game company.  If they put on effort on hyping up the game and getting the community involved, then there will be more discussion.  If not, the game won't be talked about much.

• MobidikMobidik Member Posts: 101

As i remember videogame was far from the complex story - character progression etc... when i was young. Just look at Mario bros. It was simple, challenging and serisouly i cant count how many time i completed that game. Videgame began to be more complex that bring also a new and exciting gameplay but the problem today is the gameplay never change since the PS1 and N64. Nothing really new came on the market to say ohhh wow at this game.

Manager
    www.crucialconnexion.ca
    Professional Gaming Organization
    #c2team irc@gamesurge
    Counter-Strike:Source
    - ESEA-I
    - CEVO-P
    Counter-Strike 1.6
    - ESEA-M

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

I disagree with this in that wanting them to be identical. I'd say it's more wanting developers to not only use WoW as a template when making games. It'd be nice to see, oh, Asheron's Call's gameplay and systems see an update and implemented into a game. Or even Ultima Online's. And no, these indie companies efforts are not what we are talking about. It'd be nice for a change to see a company that actually has the money to be in this business making the effort. That's not to say indie companies shouldn't be around just that they shouldn't be the only source for such efforts.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• midmagicmidmagic Member Posts: 614

Stare at spell book to regain mana? Tank has nothing to do but stand in a corner and afk? The best healers are those that properly hit one button approximately every ten seconds? The stereotypically "chatty" class is forced to not type (talk) in order to be successful?

Na. Don't want that again. People are asking for the "challenge" and and sting associated with failure back. People want the virtual world design to resurface. Not everyone, but the people you are referring to. Hell, there are people that claim they want old game X with new graphics but it is typically associated with the argument that it would be a simple way to not "fail" in their view.

Forever looking for employment. Life is rather dull without it.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

Originally posted by kjames423

The only F2P game I have ever tried, over many years, that didn't both suck AND blow was Guild Wars. ..........

Guild Wars isn't F2P, it's B2P. If you have to pay money to play something then it isn't free. You buy it to play it.

A valid point!

• EdliEdli Member Posts: 941

Not really. There was a poll these days which I can't find it now. Clearly peoples in here didn't like that much those games.

• EdliEdli Member Posts: 941

I liked the combat and is something I'm looking forward but these games are f2p right? If that's so cash shop will ruin it. Plus vindictus is heavily instanced as I heard which many here don't like.

• KarmakaziKarmakazi Member Posts: 165

I'm beginning to think that people are just getting either spoiled or confused about games now. So many MMO's are coming out now, it seems every other day a new one pops up. Hell, just a few years ago you didn't have too much to pick from. . you either played from a select few mmo's or you didn't. Now since people can pick and choose what they can play it's almost like nothing's ever good enough yet they don't even know what they want..

• arcdevilarcdevil Member Posts: 864

most people consider Guild Wars to be B2P (buy to play), a whole different model than F2P.

so if it helps you feel better, noone has found a F2P game worth a damn yet.

and most likely we never will

• Tutu2Tutu2 Member UncommonPosts: 572

Originally posted by DoomsDay01

I am a big fan of EQ1 and also hated it at the same time. I don't think most people want games that are identical to those 10 years ago. They are simply tired of games handing everything to you on a gold plated platter when you didn't really earn it. None of todays general gameplay requires hardly any thought at all and combat is usually over faster than you can say this sentence. Combat is shallow in todays games, there simply is nothing in them that make you think before you zerg. Many of those early games are games that made people think before they lept and if they didn't, the penalty was harsh. Unlike todays games that give you a bandaid and kiss the boo boo for you.

Apparently this isn't bad or games like wow wouldn't have the millions of people playing that they do, but that doesn't make them the best games ever either. For example, look back at EQ before all of the expansions and alternate points. It required teamwork, it required people to know how to play their classes and  zerging was an imposability. It was true exploration at its finest. You didn't just run around until you had everything mapped out. You had to learn the terrain, you had to be cautious and aware of everything around you.

Games of today lack one major component and that is FEAR. There is no fear in anything made today. You dont have to worry about dying, or getting your equipement back or death penalties. You don't have to fear anything in them. Without the fear of loss you can not have the sheer excitement of the win. It pales in comparrison to winning something in yesteryears mmo's because you have no chance of really losing anything. The worst thing that can happen to someone in todays mmos is someone might get annoyed if they die. The stories I could tell you of things that happened to me and others in EQ1 could curl your hair. The stories I could tell you about the games today couldn't even make your hair frizz any.

So its not about wanting games we had in the past, its about wanting games that have depth and meaning. Its about connecting with your character, about pride and true accomplishments. Its about winning battles when there was an actual chance of losing something more than just being annoyed that you lost. Its about risk, Its about fear. None of which are in todays games.

I think nostalgia is muddling with your head. EQ's corpse runs, delevelling and mob trains were horrible, but admittedly the community made up for it. I made some great friends when my corpse ended up in the bottom of an ocean, and spent close to 4 hours trying to get people to retrieve it. Frankly today...I don't think I could tolerate another EQ, my time is precious now. EQ demanded far too much time, while at least with casual MMOs like WoW, you can put in an hour or two and get somewhere. I have work, school and partner commitments. I played when I was 12-13 and back then I had all the time in the world, but most of the EQ players have grown up a bit, and the new breed of MMO players want a casual experience.

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666

Originally posted by kjames423

The only F2P game I have ever tried, over many years, that didn't both suck AND blow was Guild Wars. ..........

A valid point!

Yeah, but the stupid thing is, you'll spend 100 times more on a 'F2P'. We all know you have to buy GW. But once ingame, everybody is the same, no pro's for people with $$.

Look, F2P games are shit in general (graphics/gameplay/content) and because of a cash shop they make the game extremely unbalanced. So if you want to enjoy, you need to buy. And it's not like we pay a 5/10 per month, it's more like 20/30 (IF you want to enjoy all the content). That's double the price you pay for a P2P, where everybody has the same rights, and where the game is WAYYYYY better in every aspect.

PS: The only game I do like with cash shop is Maply Story, because there is no PVP.