Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm an mmo noob. Can you help me answer some questions?

skyscanskyscan Member Posts: 17

First and foremost I have never played a p2p mmo (I've played a lot of f2p/p2w). A few of my friends play WoW and told me to try the trail. I did and I absolutely HATED it. There's absolutely no learning curve and the community is so mean to people just starting out that don't know what to do.
So I came across Aion and it looked pretty cool. I'm getting a nice gaming computer in mid-july so I'll be able to handle this game in max settings. I'm one to oogle at the nice scenery and appreciate the graphics and I know Aion has plenty of that. I especially liked the cosmetic customizations (I hate always looking the same). Also, since I've been reading up on Aion and heard that it doesn't take too long to get to max level (especially with the new patch coming?) I want to know if it has a good, balanced, fun pvp (cause that's what I do when I max out). I've already planned on being a spirit master so if you know how pvp would be like from their perspective.. oh, also going asmodian for sure, because I don't like the elyos (from the lore).
Also a big fan of good story lines in games to make the leveling bearable. If you've ever played Fable 2 you know that there's a lot of awesome silly side stories you can do. Anything like that in Aion? I read some of the lore and got interesting in the whole splitting-of-planet story and fraction bitterness. Generally speaking, idc how not worth-it the side stories are, because if their a good story I'll do it.

As for gaming styles. I assume there's more hardcore gamers in p2ps, I am not one of them. I'm in between casual and hardcore. I also like to level with other people, is there a lot of quest forcing people to group up to make this happen?

Pertaining to gear, how complex is it? or How long will it take for me to understand it completely? I'd rather have gear with only a few things that make it better, because if there's an overwhelming amount then when someone takes the time to make his gear "perfect" he'll just destroy everyone else. And, will decent gear become obtainable without having to spend hours upon hours of crafting/marketing? drops rates decent? quest give gear you'd actually use? fraction war rewards useful?
Will I want to level another class up to max after I get my first one max level. Or are most peoples feelings "finally got to 50, definitely not doing that again"

How often and long will I have to be traveling from place to place? I hate it when 90% of the time you're playing the game you're getting to where you want to go

If you've read all that I applaud you. If you answer all the question I might even give you a cookie.

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Doesn't take long to travel places as there are flight options, some porting options, standard port to bound point, etc.

Aion doesn't really have a hard learning curve, fyi,

story is ok, bette in some places, not so much than others.

The game has a longer leveling curve than wow but not as much as a hard core game such as lineage 2 (even with the things they added to make it easier to lvl).

The best I can say is try it. I think the pvp is pretty balanced in that you constantly have people complaing about other classes or their classes. That means no one is happy and that means it's reasonably balanced. image

There are definitely quests that require grouping.

I don't craft so I purchase my gear on the Aucion House or from player stores. Also, some of the quest rewards give decent gear. Drop rates are not as high as in wow.

Some people are alt aholics so they will level another no matter what.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Larry2298Larry2298 Member Posts: 865

I think Aion would be good for you since you never play P2P before. You will be familiar with Aion within a short time because Aion is a typical F2P game core like any other F2P you've played before, the only difference between those F2Ps and Aion is that you need to pay to play a F2P like Aion. 

The hardcore gamers in P2P are mostly gold famers that you wont see hardcore gamers in F2P.

Aion is a good grinding mmo on the market. 

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Originally posted by Larry2298

I think Aion would be good for you since you never play P2P before. You will be familiar with Aion within a short time because Aion is a typical F2P game core like any other F2P you've played before, the only difference between those F2Ps and Aion is that you need to pay to play a F2P like Aion. 

The hardcore gamers in P2P are mostly gold famers that you wont see hardcore gamers in F2P.

Aion has the exact same game play as Lord of the Rings. Story isn't as good but it has the same type of quests, has quests that require a group and has a main story line. Also, the quality is far better tham most asian free to play games that I know of.

Grinding mmo? try Lineage 2.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Lathander81Lathander81 Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by Sovrath

Aion has the exact same game play as Lord of the Rings. Story isn't as good but it has the same type of quests, has quests that require a group and has a main story line. Also, the quality is far better tham most asian free to play games that I know of.

*shakes head*  OP please pay no mind to these other people who didn't really answer any question but instead tried to be funny and failed.  Just listen to Sovrath he is pretty on point with giving accurate info with out all the bias crap.   Pretty much everyone thing he said is true. Only thing is that there is some hard work involved with gettting end-game gear. Same as any game but in Aion you have to be lucky on top of that lol  Over all its a good beginner p2p MMO with good PVE and PVP.  Just make sure oyu get on a high pop server like Ariel.  That way you get a true sense of the game and people are very nice on that server!  I hope you enjoy Aion!

• KarmakaziKarmakazi Member Posts: 165

The pvp is pretty balanced, though it does take knowing each classes advantages and weakness to play it against our opponent (pretty basic stuff you should know this). .you'll gain knowledge of all that over time though. The leveling is easy, I got to cap in less than 2 months, anyone who says the leveling is hard in Aion are just whiney brats but yeah with this patch coming out it should even be easier. After I spent a month at cap I leveled up a twinked sin and kept it at level 35 to farm AP doing nothing but PVPing. All the classes are pretty interesting, it'd be hard to keep yourself from making another toon once you've hit cap with one. The weapons and armors are pretty easy to get the hang of, you don't have to worry about getting too many heroic and gold items until you're near 40 anyways so it'll easy you into it. It's a pretty fun game with a good story line, it should serve you well as your first P2P game coming from F2P's.

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

At certain level ranges there's group content to be done (instances or open areas with elite mobs), including campaign quests (you have the campaign quests which are the main storyline and required to progress through and the general quests that are side quests).

You're a SM (SpiritMaster), keyword - Fear. You'll even get an AoE fear. You're squishy as you wear cloth but not as much as a sorcerer (they get the lowest base health), and you'll have pets to take the damage for you in PvE.

Regarding gear you'll have many choices, but, gear from quests won't be enough. Choices are lucky drops, bosses, crafting or simply buying from others through the Broker. Hint - don't sell soulbound equipment to the NPC, you can extract enchantment stones from them which will be desirable to sell on the Broker (or use it on your new gear).

Regarding quests, the campaign ones are mostly interesting, while the side quests will be mostly simple. The quest text isn't bad though, especially if you're into reading quests instead of just getting the quest and heading to the objective, people get used to that and then get bad habits in new games (aka complaining about quests in every game because they haven't yet made the "perfect" quest system that still looks like an utopia due to the flaws caused by a persistent massive world in which every player will be doing that quest). 

About alts, I haven't reached 50 so I can't really comment on what I think after reaching there, I'm not really into making alts though, I will only do it if it will somehow benefit my main character and I feel it's worth the effort.

• ElectriceyeElectriceye Member UncommonPosts: 1,171

Originally posted by Sovrath

Also I just want to add that in my opinion Aion's character animations (combat, running, etc.), overall smoothness and the slick UI is the best in the market bar WoW. It's the only game apart from WoW where I really feel like I'm nearly 100% in control of my char.

It's easy to compare Aion with F2P games. It's Korean, has an eastern feel to it such as the art style, has repeatable quests to do as an option, and you have the option of opening up private shops. In reality however, it is so far removed from the F2P comparison, and is miles better than most P2P games in my opinion.

• striker09dxstriker09dx Member UncommonPosts: 197

If you like good graphics, there are only 2 MMO's which are best at it: Aion and AOC.

I played AOC and I can tell you that the questing feels wow-esque. Fortunately though, it does't require you doing much grouping or pvp'ing until late levels.

Aion is more on the pvp side of the game. Not that it is a bad thing, but starting in the MMO world you might get butt-hurt with someone corpse camping you. (It does happen in AOC too, but you have the choice of pvp/pve servers, at least)

Also, you might also go for Lord of the ring online if you don't mind being too lonely.

Don't hate me but Aion with it's mechanics of the abyss which revolves around pvp and heavy grind (compared to MOST other mmos) might not just be what you need for first time P2P exp.

Flame me all you want, but wow is the game to start with.

• KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608

You get out what you put in. Like all MMO's. But Aion that is very true. All games have there ups and there downs, but if you see it through you get some real rewards in Aion.

The problem is today, there is so much on the market for people to get bored, go try another game, and then flame the old one.

If you like a good story, quests, pvp and put in some good effort, you will love Aion.

As for Ariel being populated its probly true, but so are others. I am on Castor server and its great action.

• Lathander81Lathander81 Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by coxyroxy

You get out what you put in. Like all MMO's. But Aion that is very true. All games have there ups and there downs, but if you see it through you get some real rewards in Aion.

The problem is today, there is so much on the market for people to get bored, go try another game, and then flame the old one.

If you like a good story, quests, pvp and put in some good effort, you will love Aion.

As for Ariel being populated its probly true, but so are others. I am on Castor server and its great action.

Yea I didn't mean Ariel was the only popluated server.  Its the one I'm on with elyos and its always poppin.