Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Questions

Evil_MoDoEvil_MoDo Member Posts: 72

just posted this in general D. forum not knowing there was a EVE forum, oh well, will post it here too.

Hi i just d/led EVE and did the starting tutorial and 1st mission (now im angry cause the server has the trial limitimage)

its seems super kool the game, nice grapics, but what is the game mostly? like far into the game, are there massive battles, wars, how much grid is there to this game (but i dont even thing there are lvls), and does mining/farming take forever? what is the pvp like? what about the quests? really want to know all this and anything you can add that i wouldnt know. really appreciate anyones comments. game looks kool and all, but just affraid thats its gonna be a pure warp everywhere, mine and mine, and rare big battles.

thank you, sry for bad grammar/spelling

Comments

• Evil_MoDoEvil_MoDo Member Posts: 72

hmmmmmm, no one need to post on this, sry for posting something that is like on every postimage i didnt look.

but its seems to be pure mining, and jump here and there. kinda like ff11 but less long.

i will play out my trial, but if the game cant suck me in, then wont pay monthly and stay with WoW.

looking for a new game tho, not to quit Wow, but something diffrent from it a guess or something way better than it, its good and everything, but (im sure everyone feels this way) its just missing something, i know its not the quests, but maybe the pvp, so far all there is are raids and random pvps, waiting for battle grounds, but i think while they make that, maybe add an arena, would aldo be kool is people can bet on you. battlegrounds seems promissing, but i do think it will have its flaws.

i tried ff11 way 2 much grinding and i work, so obiously ff11 wont do for me, L2 sucks im sure everyone agrees with that other than the fans. EQ2...hmmm i dunno, i tried the trial and the game just looked ugly to me, im sure it has its good sides, but compared to WoW, it just looks ugly.

if anyone can tell me whats good and whats not, by any means do so. but i need something that i can only put like 2 hour a day into, not 6+ and still feel like i didnt something.

• OudoksujaOudoksuja Member Posts: 106

Start by thinking about what you'd like to do, and go for it. EVE isn't a game where there's a marked path of quests leading you from level 1 to 60 and telling you how you play the game.

First tip though, is that nobody's forcing you to mine. And I'd heartily advice against it, but that's just me.

• KnightblastKnightblast Member UncommonPosts: 1,787

like far into the game, are there massive battles, wars,

In EVE you can do pretty much whatever you want. There certainly are massive battles and ongoing wars between groups of players (corps that are in alliances with each other) vying for control of the "free" space in the game. Not everyone participates in this, but you can if you wish to -- the key is finding a good corp who is involved in an alliance.

how much grid is there to this game (but i dont even thing there are lvls)

As much as you want there to be. If you want to be a miner and mine asteroids all the time, you can certainly do that. If you want to be a fighter and run fighting missions and chase bounties, you can do that as well. You can trade, you can manufacture, you can research. you can become a pirate and hunt other PCs -- it's a wide, wide open game where you choose what path or paths you want to focus on.

and does mining/farming take forever?

Not really much farming in EVE. Mining is time consuming. Too many people focus on mining as a money-making activity, but if you don't like it you should just avoid it. There are other ways to make money that do not involve mining (such as agent missions and rat bounty hunting).

what is the pvp like?

It's pretty easy to find it in terms of gate camps and the like in lower security space, but if you want to focus on PvP your best bet is to join a corp in an alliance.

what about the quests?

EVE doesn't have quests. There are agent missions that you can get from various NPCs at various stations throughout EVE. They are generally either delivery missions or kill missions, but there are some other ones available as well. You get the task, complete it and return to the NPC for a reward -- typically cash. Some missions have bonuses for completing them quickly (sometimes cash, sometimes an item). You also get an increase in "standing" with the NPC's faction and corporation by running missions repeatedly for a given agent. But it isn't really like questing in WoW or EQ2, where you go into an area, collect all the quests and do them and then progress to another area.

game looks kool and all, but just affraid thats its gonna be a pure warp everywhere, mine and mine, and rare big battles.

EVE is vast and travelling long distances is time consuming. The best bet if you find that to be a drag is to avoid making long trips for the most part and focus your activity on a few systems. If you don't like mining, then don't do it and focus on agent missions or NPC rat bounty hunting. If you're interested in big PvP battles your best bet is to join a corp that is in an alliance, because the big battles take place in alliance space. The PvP that takes place in Empire space is mostly piracy -- which is fine as well if you are interested in that as a career path.

The biggest thing to remember about EVE is that the game is not linear, and offers a wide variety of possibilities. If you're comparing it to WoW, you would find that WoW is much more linear -- you do the quests in a certain area for a certain level, advance in levels, and then move to a different area where you do the quests for that level and so on. EVE is not like this at all. The game is wide open, you can do pretty much whatever you want from fighter to bounty hunter, mining mogul to industrial producer, pirate to goods trader to scientist ... some of these are more time consuming and require a more advanced character than others, but they are all possible paths and none of them is excluisve either, because anyone can train any skills, there is no meaningful skill limit, and you are not cut off from high level skills in one area by virtue of having focused for a while on another area. It really is a wide-open game, and requires a player who likes that freedom and has a mind of his own to take advantage of it, I think.

• ZipehZipeh Member Posts: 265
    well said

• Ranma13Ranma13 Member Posts: 747

Basically the things you can do in EVE boil down to either bringing item A to place B or kill rat A at point B, the usual template that most MMORPGs follow. The difference, however, is that EVE makes you feel like you're in total control. Want to earn cash? You can either do agent missions, hunt rats, mine, or find profitable trading routes. Want to craft? You can rent out a factory, stock it with the right blueprint and minerals, then wait until the counter reaches 0. It's not exactly the most interesting or involved of processes but the ability to do so is there. Want to do something challenging? There's complexes where even setting mere foot into the area will get your arse blasted into shrapnel.

One thing that really holds me to EVE is the combat system and market. I've heard people say that combat is a point and click affair, but name me one MMORPG that isn't. I find combat in EVE to be more involved than most MMORPGs out there, you have to constantly watch your distance to enemies, make sure your guns are reloaded (and try to stagger the reloads so you don't end up shooting nothing for 10 sec.) and you also have to have the right type of loadout and ammo type on your ship. Going into a battle with the wrong type of ammo can easily mean you do little to no damage, and not having the right modules could mean the difference between flying home in a pod and flying home in your ship. Also, you're not 'locked' into certain equip either. A ship can easily become a miner, or an ECM (target jamming, sensor disruption, etc...) ship, or an all-out combat ship, or a support ship (shield transfer, remote armor repair, etc...). There are no level 15 armor sets or best equips, it's all left up to you how you want to customize your ship.

As for the market, almost all your purchases and sales will be made to real players instead of NPCs. When you buy items, they don't magically appear in your inventory, you have to go pick it up from where you bought it from. The economic model is a realistic one so there's plenty of opportunities to capitalize on ventures. You can study the local market in one region and the local market in another, then buy goods in one and sell them in the other for a hefty profit. You can also see what's lacking in one region and flourishing in another, bringing in the lacking goods and selling them for a premium. I've done this with ships before, in one region they were selling for 6.4 million isk but in another they were going for 7.5 million minimum. I carted over 3 ships and made a nice profit in about a week. It's things like this that you can't really do in other more traditional MMORPGs that appeals to me.

However, I have to say that I've quit playing EVE Online about 3 times now, each time due to the same reason: extremely boring agent missions and extremely long warp travel times. I was finding myself warping around 90% of the time, spending the rest of the 5% studying the market and the remaining 5% mining. I didn't involve myself in much combat. It eventually got to the point where I would set in a destination and go play PS2 for 30 minutes while I warped there. Not much fun I must say.

Just recently though, I decided to give the game another spin and I'm really enjoying it. I thought about the reason why I had such a hard time with the warp times and I came to the conclusion that 1. I should have used insta-jump bookmarks that I was always too stubborn to set up, and 2. I should stop buying things at the cheapest price possible because I end up making 30+ jumps just gathering all the components across various systems. It's much more profitable to save time rather than isk. So now I'm tempted to renew my subscriptioni to EVE Online. I just can't get enough of it it seems :).

Just recently though, I decided to give the game another spin and I'm really enjoying it. I thought about the reason why I had such a hard time with the warp times and I came to the conclusion that 1. I should have used insta-jump bookmarks that I was always too stubborn to set up, and 2. I should stop buying things at the cheapest price possible because I end up making 30+ jumps just gathering all the components across various systems. It's much more profitable to save time rather than isk. So now I'm tempted to renew my subscriptioni to EVE Online. I just can't get enough of it it seems :).

The trick with trading is finding good trade routes *within* a region that are 10 Jumps or less and offer good profit. If you can find a few routes (with the dynamic market you need a few of them because the same routes won't be profitable every day), and you can set up instajump BMs for these, you can rake in a lot of ISK in a fairly short period of time. If you can swing it, trading between regions can be profitable as well (and trading from one side of Empire to the other can be *very* profitable), but I don't recommend it (unless to an adjacent region) because of the time involved. To me, when engaged in a money-making activity, my benchmark is ISK generated per hour, rather than the margin on a particular trade -- that helps keep the time factor engaged in figuring out how to allocate the rarest resource in the game -- gaming time!
    ::::01::

• Malena_VXXIMalena_VXXI Member Posts: 11

well mining can be a drag if you

I aint the miner type ;)

I aint mining with friends

well mining can be fun

I Role play  you now  it's a mmorpg  game

I mine with friends  who I been meeting in the game it helps to have some irl social skills too :)

I mine to be able to build me some Battleships and now saving up minerals to be able to get a larger ship

• ZipehZipeh Member Posts: 265
    mining aint that bad , you just cant do it all the time, it has to be an means to an end. as long as you are mining for a reason and not just to make isk.

Originally posted by Zipeh
    mining aint that bad , you just cant do it all the time, it has to be an means to an end. as long as you are mining for a reason and not just to make isk.

I agree. Mine for minerals to build things and use them or sell the things you build at a nice profit.

• Malena_VXXIMalena_VXXI Member Posts: 11
    I must admit I mine alot  been mining 2 months 0800 - 2300  every day