Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where is the sci-fi?

Any one elese kind of pissed off at the lack of sci-fi based mmorpgs? I mean seriously, this is the PC age, why is everything midevil? If I see another midevil based mmorpg i'm going to puke. Do companys not realize that there is a market for this kind of thing? Am I stuck waiting for Phantasy Star Galaxies? Or is there something on the horizon?

Comments

• darquenbladedarquenblade Member Posts: 1,015

Well, I suppose there's Anarchy Online, but I'm assuming you already know about that one.

Other than that, Tabula Rasa is on the horizon--and I think it looks pretty cool, too. ::::20::

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

/pointsat -->  EVE  !!

/pointsat --> Anarchy Online

/pointsat --> Planetside

/pointsat --> MMORPG website game list

/pointsat --> Star Trek MMORPG announcement

Have fun

Erillion

• kenderolokenderolo Member Posts: 8

And Earth & Beyond too

But.. the answer is easy... the medieval words are easier to made... in the sc-fi normally you had to create a lot of tecnology more planets and the plots are more difficult.

• darquenbladedarquenblade Member Posts: 1,015

Originally posted by Erillion
    /pointsat --> EVE !!
    /pointsat --> Anarchy Online
    /pointsat --> Planetside
    /pointsat --> MMORPG website game list
    /pointsat --> Star Trek MMORPG announcement

Have fun
    Erillion

DOH! I'm an idiot =)

How did I forget about EVE and Planetside? lol *kicks self*

• NofrikinfuNNofrikinfuN Member Posts: 10

There are also games like Matrix online, if that's your cup of tea. (I can't imagine myself enjoying it though.) Also, City of Heroes/Villains is... Well... Sort of an in-between Sci-Fi/Fantasy thing.

The genre is bound to open up in time, it's just that the medieval setting is a bit more "fantasy" than cityscapes, so it seems more users gravitate to it.

That's my 2 cents anyway. :D

</irrelevancy>

• RavenmgsRavenmgs Member Posts: 155

Anarchy Online is one of the worst games on the market. EvE is good, but not my thing, I like haveing a personal character I can work on, and not a space ship. Planet Side isn't really a RPG at all, there is no real Role for you to play expect on the most basic level in which Halo 2 could be called a RPG. The only thing really in terms of Sci-Fi style in the classic sense of MMORPG is Anarchy Online and SWG, which neither one is really up to part with current MMO standards. Why not make a "World of Starcraft", why did they have to throw another pile of midevil crap on the stack ?

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

Please define what you understand under:  "current MMO standards" ...

have fun

Erillion

• Originally posted by Ravenmgs

Any one elese kind of pissed off at the lack of sci-fi based mmorpgs? I mean seriously, this is the PC age, why is everything midevil? If I see another midevil based mmorpg i'm going to puke. Do companys not realize that there is a market for this kind of thing? Am I stuck waiting for Phantasy Star Galaxies? Or is there something on the horizon?

The fault lies with the fact that the mmorpg industry is controlled by moneymen, suits and ties. These people have never ever naver played a computer game. Not even the games they finance. They always prefer taking what they feel is the "safest" way. Aka making clones of clones.

One of the many revolutionary things about Anarchy Online, is that it was a Sci-Fi mmorpg. Guns rule! (I also enjoy how there are 5+ different types of damage.. radiation, physical/usual guns, cold, fire, poison, etc...)

IF more game DEVs were able to finance their own games, there would be far more experiments, less clones...... more sci-fi mmorpgs! Sci-Fi is still an untapped territory - Star Trek, Dune, and many, many more!

• RykerRyker Member UncommonPosts: 207
    Id like to see a good space based game similar to earth and beyond, not eve :). Where you fly around in your ship, get new ships and weapons, stuff like that. PvP galaxy would be cool to.
  • airtrooperairtrooper Member Posts: 78

I would like to see a sci fi mmorpg along the lines of DAOC with the RVR and such but just sci fi .. that would rock.

• tasteetastee Member Posts: 65

Imperator by Mythic   makers of DAOC

http://www.imperatoronline.com/

• airtrooperairtrooper Member Posts: 78
    saw that but it has no RVR which is the feature i like most in DAOC and want to see in a sci fi game. A game like eve online but built on a DAOC model is what i had in mind with space ships instead of char and RVR instead of full open PVP gank feast.