Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lee Hammock leaves

2»

Comments

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Originally posted by fyerwall

Originally posted by Deltor

Took me all of two seconds to google this: http://www.gazillion.com/gargantuan/#/home

Apparently they are making Marvel Universe Online...

OK, now that seems much more likely.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Originally posted by Thillian

Originally posted by SEANMCAD

I am a bit surprised more people have not taken to this game. By looking at forum activity around this game it seems less popular than Darkfall which is very surprising to me.

Never the less, a question for the experienced MMO players, how many MMO's ever go under? I mean, sure a lot get bad press, low population but it takes a great deal to turn off the servers I have noticed.

I do hope them well, its a good game.

Tabula Rasa (NCsoft), Matrix Online (SoE), Auto Assault(NCSoft), Asheron's Call 2 (Turbine), all these came down within 3-4 years of their existence. Some even sooner.

fair enough, my hunch is that FE will do fine and it will be around for a long time. My hunch is the same for Darkfall too. we shall see.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by Thillian

I am a bit surprised more people have not taken to this game. By looking at forum activity around this game it seems less popular than Darkfall which is very surprising to me.

Never the less, a question for the experienced MMO players, how many MMO's ever go under? I mean, sure a lot get bad press, low population but it takes a great deal to turn off the servers I have noticed.

I do hope them well, its a good game.

Tabula Rasa (NCsoft), Matrix Online (SoE), Auto Assault(NCSoft), Asheron's Call 2 (Turbine), all these came down within 3-4 years of their existence. Some even sooner.

fair enough, my hunch is that FE will do fine and it will be around for a long time. My hunch is the same for Darkfall too. we shall see.

Well Aventurine and Icarus are both small studios, and depending on the overhead they most probably need less capital to keep running.  If FE needs 50K to stay profitable, then that may be worrisome, but its not to say they don't hit that mark now, as I don't know. Hopefully they already have a good portion set aside for further development costs.. 

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Well Aventurine and Icarus are both small studios, and depending on the overhead they most probably need less capital to keep running.  If FE needs 50K to stay profitable, then that may be worrisome, but its not to say they don't hit that mark now, as I don't know. Hopefully they already have a good portion set aside for further development costs.. 

I read someplace that a large amount of 'development' cost goes into adverrtising. I want to say 25%.

FE advertised, DF didnt so that is a bit there. I also thinkg AV took out a large loan after release which from my guess is what 'Darkfall 2010' will become.

I think both have a very good chance of staying around.

When it comes to FE, what modern game has better graphics? I can think of one that has been released in several years with a better graphics engine.

Side note: This game is perfect for housing and I dont think we can say that for all games. Darkfall is a perfect example of a game where housing doesnt make any sense to me given its heavly player city/clan focus

• kb056kb056 Member CommonPosts: 423

Bump for main page. Hey Mods, this deserves it's own main page announcement.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Originally posted by kb056

Bump for main page. Hey Mods, this deserves it's own main page announcement.

The Moderators are not the ones responsible for front paging news stories.

I submitted this as a newstip as soon as the info hit the FE Forums though, and I suspect we will see a front page article about this information tomorrow morning when MikeB has a chance to check the tips, etc...

Patience is a virtue.

• AganazerAganazer Member Posts: 1,319

If you're a designer you're always thinking of new things, wanting to try new things. FE is complete and likely has the next two years all neatly planned out. I am sure Lee got a great offer and chose to be a part of something new rather than stagnate on a game that is essentially complete. I can't blame him one bit.

It also doesn't mean anything at all for Fallen Earth. No wait, it does mean one thing. It means MVU might be a badass game now. I'm sure that more than a few of us will be ready to drop FE to play it when it comes out. This would be in no small part because of Lee's contribution.

• royalewitroyalewit Member Posts: 78

Listened to some podcasts and watched some videos with Lee during my time in FE.  He's a really cool guy, best of luck to him.  FE will surely miss him.

Have they announced who will be taking his place yet?  Seemed to me he was pretty much the final word on the game's design, and there are still a lot of ideas and big decisions up in the air like S4, PvP patch, Respecs etc.  The game's next 6 months are going to be critical in determining its long-term success or failures.

I saw a photo of him holding a pipe. This is somewhat intresting to me becuase I have been smoking pipes for more than 10 years now and almost every bowl I have smoked has been while playing a game.

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

I am really sad and disturbed by this news. Lee has always been the face of FE to me and him leaving, even if it doesn't mean anything dire for FE, is still a bad thing in my book... and for the record, I don't think we need to read anything into this other than it's Lee Hammock moving on to another project. I don't think it means anything bad about FE's future, other than not having Lee in there creating...

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

I don't think MMOs (which are long-term commitments for many players) should be fronted by devs who leave after a short time to work on another project.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

Originally posted by Darkholme

I am really sad and disturbed by this news. Lee has always been the face of FE to me and him leaving, even if it doesn't mean anything dire for FE, is still a bad thing in my book... and for the record, I don't think we need to read anything into this other than it's Lee Hammock moving on to another project. I don't think it means anything bad about FE's future, other than not having Lee in there creating...

Same here. First time I ever had that feeling about a dev leaving. Lee kinda is FE to me.

I'm sure he has everything worked out through 1.4, 1.5 and the launch of S4, I just hope whoever replaces him follows his lead and doesn't try to force the game into some other shape.

From what he said on the FE forums, working on a Marvel Universe MMO was too good a chance to pass up, and that's something anyone could understand. I know I'll be checking that game out when it has him as a dev, and I probably wouldn't have otherwise.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Originally posted by parrotpholk

My thing is what will the next guy bring to the table? Will they want to change the game completely NGE it up so to speak or will he remain true to what Lee was trying to accomplish. I will watch with much reservation.

A new boss usually wants to make his mark, and that often means change for change's sake. That is rarely a good thing.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055

I have to echo many of the comments here as far as being disappointed by this news.

Lee was the face of FE.

The next 6 months will indeed be critical IMO to the success or failure of FE long term.

I hope whomever replaces Lee will be of the same mindeset and keep the game along the path it has made so far.  I love FE but if they stray too far from what the game is now(say an NGE or WoW-ization type change), I will probably walk away.  I play FE because it is very distinctly different from everything else out, hopefully it stays that way.

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!