Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For those of you who think the current crop of MMO's are bad....

Tim_BraidTim_Braid Member UncommonPosts: 36

can we all just get together and play Ultima Online: The Second Age until a new SWG(Pre-CU) comes out? I know the graphics are bad but doesn't the game allow players to do what they want? Doesn't it allow players to express their creativity in fun and interesting ways? Isn't this what MMO's should be about? The ability to interact with others to accomplish goals that will benefit the entire community as a whole? Isn't this what life is all about? Isn't this what we strive for in the world we live in? 

Timmy 

Comments

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675

No, actually, it's not what most people want, otherwise most people would have kept playing UO.  The fact that the vast majority of the MMO marketplace moved on to other things proves conclusively that UO was not what most people wanted in a game.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309

I already play.  The current crop of mmo aren't really bad.  They are good at combat and not much else.  But that is what the masses want. 

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Originally posted by Cephus404

No, actually, it's not what most people want, otherwise most people would have kept playing UO.  The fact that the vast majority of the MMO marketplace moved on to other things proves conclusively that UO was not what most people wanted in a game.

I thought companies like Blizzard and its ilk brainwashed those poor UO players, forcing them to leave. By the time they returned, the game was different (i.e. Trammel) and they didn't want to play anymore. Obviously, the old crop of MMOs was perfect, but evil brainwashing themepark companies ruined it.

That's just a theory, though image

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

its just that i bought a 8800gt and i intended to use it... so i will keep playing M&B: warband till something nice apears =p

btw, tired of targeting games.

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Someone is clearly new to the genre...

You do realize that there were fundamental design changes that completely altered Ultima Online? That's why people aren't playing it. That and too many people are graphic whores. 

• Tim_BraidTim_Braid Member UncommonPosts: 36

Originally posted by Garvon3

You do realize that there were fundamental design changes that completely altered Ultima Online? That's why people aren't playing it. That and too many people are graphic whores. 

You are correct people now a days are graphic whores(its kind of sad). Besides, the UO I'm talking about is the orginial UO and is free to play.

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243

• No, actually, it's not what most people want, otherwise most people would have kept playing UO.  The fact that the vast majority of the MMO marketplace moved on to other things proves conclusively that UO was not what most people wanted in a game.

There was this game many moons ago called Grand Theft Auto. It was fantastic for the time and the company went on to make many more versions from the franchise. Grand Theft Auto 4 came along eventually and lost a lot of what made the game great. It played in a similar way but a lot of the core gameplay was removed, such as racing motorbikes across rooftops in a time trial. I didn't enjoy Grand Theft Auto 4 because it felt less like the original game, but I kept playing it because it looked nice and it was playable enough. I found I couldn't go back to the original game because the graphics were so horribly dated, the sound was bad in comparison, and my machine was way above specs for it.

The moral of this story: Just because the new games are selling and people are playing them, doesn't mean they don't wish the game was more like the original.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Originally posted by Tim_Braid

You are correct people now a days are graphic whores(its kind of sad). Besides, the UO I'm talking about is the orginial UO and is free to play.

I know, but it's not legal to play ;) 

• Raithe-NorRaithe-Nor Member Posts: 315

Originally posted by Tim_Braid

can we all just get together and play Ultima Online: The Second Age until a new SWG(Pre-CU) comes out? I know the graphics are bad but doesn't the game allow players to do what they want? Doesn't it allow players to express their creativity in fun and interesting ways? Isn't this what MMO's should be about? The ability to interact with others to accomplish goals that will benefit the entire community as a whole? Isn't this what life is all about? Isn't this what we strive for in the world we live in? 

Timmy 

Strive for in the world we live in?  No, I don't think that applies.  Resources are scarce enough and populations are high enough (and comsuption-oriented) that the chance of us all coming together and singing Kumbaya are close to 0.

As for MMORPG worlds, yes, that is precisely what their original purpose was.  They were meant to be a cooperative effort to explore social interactions and ethics in a competitive game world.  The players are cooperative, the characters competitive.

Unfortunately a large number of people don't get (or don't like) that style of game.   That doesn't mean, however, that only the majority should have a say in the development of new games.  I know that if I were to design an MMORPG, I wouldn't give a hoot about what the majority want.  "Farmville" has made it clear that what the majority wants isn't even necessarily an MMORPG or combat MMOG at all.  Sorry, World of Warcraft, you aren't the king we thought you were.

What needs to happen is for people who have signficant influence in the industry to realize that there are different incompatible markets involved and separate their design focuses to appeal to one of the submarkets and then advertise accordingly.  Their current practice of trying to appeal to everyone has been a colossal failure, "Top Ten" MMO articles not withstanding.

• Raithe-NorRaithe-Nor Member Posts: 315

Double Post.

• ChrisMatternChrisMattern Member Posts: 1,478

Ah, yes, "Trammel ruined UO!" When, in fact, it was Trammel that kept UO alive; EQ would've killed UO dead except for Trammel. The sub figures confirm this--UO was losing subs to EQ by the bucketful; the bleeding was stanched only when Trammel came out.