Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is not WoW about this game..

MrSebMrSeb Member Posts: 71

I've been looking on allods for some time, and I gotta say, I'm pretty amazed ..

I am downloading the game now, as I write this post and I'm pretty eager to play

The graphic is great and the combat looks cool.. But still .. What is the innovative part about this game?

I won't call it a WoW clone but atm, the only different I've heard of is the "no auto-attack" and the "giant ship"-fights..

So what is so different in this game compared to WoW?

Comments

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

1.  Russian Language:  Everyone who speaks is in russian.

2.  Unique classes:  While different races have the same classes, you can recieve unique skills that make your class/race combination different from another (e.g. xadaganian mentalists can become immune to all damage, but can't attack or move, while arisen mentalists can get rid of all mental stress).  This is more apparent with the warden and summoner pets, as different combinations get different pets.

3.  Death Mechanic:  Instead of dying and getting a choice to revive or go to your corpse, then getting an xp and/or item durability loss, as well as a debuff, you are taken to purgatory, wait a while, then go back with no durability loss and a scaling debuff starting at lv 15(?)

4.  Ship battles:  Self explanatory

5.  No auto attack: again self explanatory

6.  F2P with cash shop: need I say more?

7.  Difficulty level: enemies are very easy early on and becoem very difficult later on.  WoW is soloable, but Allods ecourages group play (or cash shop buying)

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

I suggest you to read this comparason of Wow and Allods.

http://news.mmosite.com/content/2010-01-26/allods_vs_wow_let_the_battle_begin.shtml

After i read this, i decided to download allods and found out that all he said was the truth. Anyway, allods is free and its better then wow for me. Item to buy with real money in game is not worst then a sub fee every months.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• KrygonKrygon Member Posts: 24

Originally posted by Realbigdeal

http://news.mmosite.com/content/2010-01-26/allods_vs_wow_let_the_battle_begin.shtml

After i read this, i decided to download allods and found out that all he said was the truth. Anyway, allods is free and its better then wow for me. Item to buy with real money in game is not worst then a sub fee every months.

And what lvl are you currently?

It seems from earlier posts you've made that you have not reached even the middle lvl's. You'll be paying a lot more than any sub fee once you reach the higher lvl's. The beginning of the game (lvl 20 and down) does not need any money spent.

EDIT:

I just wen t and looked at your earlier posts and see that you started this game 4 days ago. You should play a game a little more before you start saying whether the cash shop is better than a sub fee. I guess you already know about bags to buy, incense, crystals, runes, potions, rune removal tools?  You didn't know 4 days ago if the game had a battleground or arena.

The only way this game can be fun is to spend in the cash shop.

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

Originally posted by Krygon

Originally posted by Realbigdeal

And what lvl are you currently?

It seems from earlier posts you've made that you have not reached even the middle lvl's. You'll be paying a lot more than any sub fee once you reach the higher lvl's. The beginning of the game (lvl 20 and down) does not need any money spent.

EDIT:

I just wen t and looked at your earlier posts and see that you started this game 4 days ago. You should play a game a little more before you start saying whether the cash shop is better than a sub fee. I guess you already know about bags to buy, incense, crystals, runes, potions, rune removal tools?  You didn't know 4 days ago if the game had a battleground or arena.

The only way this game can be fun is to spend in the cash shop.

Well, il do more research. If paying 15 a month for an other mmorpg is worst then their item mall, i think il simply stop playing that game. If i do quit, il wait teal Age of conan expansion come out to start playing it.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• circaencircaen Member UncommonPosts: 34

The pace of of this game is much slower, im level 15 and it has taken forever, i go from quest to quest and it just seems to be a lot slower burn than WoW, also there is not a lot of choice as to where to level or how to level.. i dont see any exp potions or id probably buy them to speed things up.. id much rather play wow at this point i think.

• tidalkrakentidalkraken Member Posts: 49

Originally posted by circaen

The pace of of this game is much slower, im level 15 and it has taken forever, i go from quest to quest and it just seems to be a lot slower burn than WoW, also there is not a lot of choice as to where to level or how to level.. i dont see any exp potions or id probably buy them to speed things up.. id much rather play wow at this point i think.

Well, first off WoW has become nothing but it's own endgame. The only things that are constantly populated / run anymore are BGs, Raid instances, and Heroic dungeons. This leads the developers to go "Oh! well, if people only want the endgame content, we'll just make the trip there a lot faster" and thus the amazingly easy level curve is born. WoW is just a game where you slam through levels nowadays.

Allods is new. Hell, it's in open beta. As such their levelling curve will undergo some tweaking over time, but they also want people to see the entire game world, and really enjoy themselves. In other MMOs like Vanguard, EQ2, and Lotro, the game is about the voyage to level cap just as much as the endgame itself, and you should enjoy it as such.

This is probably one of the biggest reasons that Allods is not like WoW. You can't just slam through the content and get to endgame as fast as possible. They almost force you to slow down and enjoy yourself.

• RhianneRhianne Member UncommonPosts: 58

This is probably one of the biggest reasons that Allods is not like WoW. You can't just slam through the content and get to endgame as fast as possible. They almost force you to slow down and enjoy yourself.

Except that the content isn't enjoyable. Allods makes you fight 15 of this, collect 15 of that. But with some major issues:

1. The mobs are so sparse that you spend a lot of time in boring search patterns trying to find enough of whatever it is you have to kill. It's much worse when there are two or three other players fighting the same thing.

2. Even with a well-constructed character, most mobs take tons of hammering to kill just one. Ten or more attacks per mob is not uncommon, and you only have a tiny number of attacks you can use. This gets very tedious very quickly and has all the strategic luster of rock-paper-scissors.

3. Again, since mobs are so sparse, you'll rarely worry about encountering more than one monster at once. There is no threat, no challenge, and no excitement.
  • HydrobluntHydroblunt Member Posts: 282

Originally posted by Rhianne

Except that the content isn't enjoyable. Allods makes you fight 15 of this, collect 15 of that. But with some major issues:

1. The mobs are so sparse that you spend a lot of time in boring search patterns trying to find enough of whatever it is you have to kill. It's much worse when there are two or three other players fighting the same thing.

2. Even with a well-constructed character, most mobs take tons of hammering to kill just one. Ten or more attacks per mob is not uncommon, and you only have a tiny number of attacks you can use. This gets very tedious very quickly and has all the strategic luster of rock-paper-scissors.

3. Again, since mobs are so sparse, you'll rarely worry about encountering more than one monster at once. There is no threat, no challenge, and no excitement.

Try playing the game past level 10, please, before giving your opinion.  Once you leave the city, it gets more challenging and gets significantly more interesting once you get to Holy Lands around lvl 22 & 23.  You also do not really start seeing your battling ability till lvl 14 or so.

The key dfferences that I find important are:

1)  Innovative talent system

2)  Class mechanics that were modified to be much more interesting, even in basic archeotypes like mage.  That alone does not make it a WoW clone or even close.  As a comparison, WoW class design system was almost a clone of EQ's class system.  This pattern is not prevalent in Allods.

3)  World PvP encouraged by map design & quest objectives.

Playing: EvE, Warhammer free unlimited trial, Allods Online
    Played: Anarchy Online, WoW, Warhammer, AoC, Ryzom. Aion
    Strongly Recommend: Ryzom, EvE, Allods Online

• golightgolight Member Posts: 104

Originally posted by circaen

The game is only slow if you don't use your "rested" exp properly that's called Fatigue. It's quite important that you understand how it works or your leveling will be very slow. You will also start to run out of quests in each area before your ready to leave that same area.

Simple rules to make sure you use it properly:

1. Never hand in quests if you have no Fatigue left.

2. Always remember to hand in Fatigue to Goblin Innkeeper before you log off each day.

It's also very easy to run out of quests. Many quests can be hidden from you and only show up if you completed other quests before it, not always chain quests or same quest giver. Try and fully explore all quests.

Personally I don't think there is much similiarity to WoW:

• The artwork and graphics is much better, both use a similiar style but Allods use Cyberpunk theme (at least on Empire).

• The classes feel different and more fun to play in Allods.

• Allods mobs are much harder, and it's very easy to die - which is a good thing! But badly scripted. They often end up walking in the air, or stuck at odd angles.

• Mobs do take a very long time to kill for most classes, can get very boring but you get used to it

• PVP when it happens is fun, and fights can take a very long time. There are some major imbalances though and CC is insane in some cases (25sec++).

• Mobs, monsters and bosses feels very different to WoW.

• The world looks and feels very different to WoW.

• WoW has much better instances and scripted fights. Dunegons in Allods are badly planned and contains large amounts of bugs and easy to exploit.

• There is no real PVP in Allods, you have to go and find players who are flagged. The PVP issue has led to max lvls camping low lvl areas and killing entire raids. (lvl40 can easily kill a lvl30 raid by himself if geared well)

• Allods is extremly stats dependant. A single stat point can make a massive difference. I can't tell enough how very very important stat is. You have to keep upgrading gear and have a balanced build for your class or you will be useless. A few points in Luck stat can mean you have 20% crit chance or 10%.

• WoW's terrain / world has been tested better, you often bump into objects that you can't see and have to walk around. Or objects that shouldn't block you, but still does. Have never got stuck yet though.

• There is no Mini Map in Allods. Both a good and bad thing.

• Allods world is a lot smaller than WoW. 

• There are even more differences, however it's easy to see why it gets blamed for being a WoW clone as it does feel very familiar and in some ways work in similiar ways. But I never once felt that I was playing a WoW clone.

Play: -
    Played: FFXIV, WAR, Allods, Aion, AoC, DDO, EQ2, GW, Lotro, Tabula Rasa, Vanguard, WoW