Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ship Design??

RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

I have to ask.. What is it with all the ships going with this Aerodynamic slender design?   Am I missing something here?  Is there wind drag in space?  I guess I should of listened better in science class.. I thought space was a vacuume.. 

Comments

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

It is called esthetics.

• buegurbuegur Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Lol true enough, although you can get a bulb shaped ship on some of the science classes.
  • Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Originally posted by Rydeson

I have to ask.. What is it with all the ships going with this Aerodynamic slender design?   Am I missing something here?  Is there wind drag in space?  I guess I should of listened better in science class.. I thought space was a vacuume.. 

The "canon" in-universe explanation is that the warp bubble fits around a ship better if it is a certain shape, making the ship faster with less energy expended. You can find this information in the Star Trek The Next Generation Technical Manual.

The out of universe explanation is that ships that look more aerodynamic look "faster" and sleeker. As Yamota said, it was an aesthetic choice made by those working on Star Trek.

Personally, I like the less aerodynamic looking ships anyway as my top two ships are Constitution class (refit) and Defiant class.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

Which is funny as shit tho.. because one of the fasted ships out there was the Borg Cube..   LOL..  I too like the older ships, or others from outside Star Trek..  I love the ships from Eve.. and the big honking ship Nostromo from Alien.. LOL 

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Another thing to consider is that, since Star Trek mostly operates in a 2D space, then the same principle for small ship profile exists as it does for naval warfare. I.e. the smaller the profile of your ship the less chance it will have to be hit by enemy weapons.

Ships with smaller profile may give the appereance of being aerodynamic. But at the end of the day sci-fiction is after all fiction and thus what looks/sounds "cool" is sometimes more important than what is scientifically correct. E.g. sound from weapon firing, explosions and etc.

• ryuga81ryuga81 Member UncommonPosts: 351

Originally posted by Yamota
    Another thing to consider is that, since Star Trek mostly operates in a 2D space, then the same principle for small ship profile exists as it does for naval warfare.

In an era of fully-automated auto-targeting instant-hitting beam weapons it's quite hard to believe... missing a target should be impossible without some kind of target jamming or similar interference :P

Which is funny as shit tho.. because one of the fasted ships out there was the Borg Cube..   LOL..  I too like the older ships, or others from outside Star Trek..  I love the ships from Eve.. and the big honking ship Nostromo from Alien.. LOL 

That's because Borg cubes use a "trans-warp" tunnel that they create through space. It's an entirely different propulsion system from other races.

Would you really think it was awesome if everyone flew around in ships that looked like cubes?

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

Actually the naval stuff was opion and assumption, when in fact marine engineering design ships for different purposes with "profile" being the least of their worries..   but anyways..

I do agree that it's fiction and because of that you can do whatever you wish.. As for the cool part, that would be completely subjective.  Really.. when you look at the Trident.. first thing that comes to mind is "Who in da frek wants to fly a shoe?".. It bloody looks like a shoe..  LOL  it does.. honestly.. lol

Actually the naval stuff was opion and assumption, when in fact marine engineering design ships for different purposes with "profile" being the least of their worries..   but anyways..

I do agree that it's fiction and because of that you can do whatever you wish.. As for the cool part, that would be completely subjective.  Really.. when you look at the Trident.. first thing that comes to mind is "Who in da frek wants to fly a shoe?".. It bloody looks like a shoe..  LOL  it does.. honestly.. lol

That's because pretty much every Cryptic designed ship looks like crap. I hate them all with maybe one or two exceptions. They're either twisted versions of ships seen on Star Trek, or they're what someone who only vaguely knew anything about Star Trek would think a Star Trek ship would look like.

Cryptic suffers from a complete lack of imagination in the ship design department. This is despite the fact that I like almost every official canon ship in Star Trek.