Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Playable on 28k?

NofrikinfuNNofrikinfuN Member Posts: 10

While reading up on EQ recently (Looking into my entertainment options in 28k land) I noticed that the minimum required connection speed is 28k! I was wondering, would this function well at all? I already know I'd be forced to buy the latest expansion to avoid WEEKS of updating, (And still be forced into hours of it.) but I was wondering if its even possible that the game could be playable? Is 28k and outdated minimum req?

I'm getting a touch desperate... I'd prefer to be on SWG, but there's no way that would fly on 28k... lol

Any response appreciated! :D

</irrelevancy>

Comments

• OdenathusOdenathus Member UncommonPosts: 605

I, personally would never try to play EQ on 28k.
    It might be possible, but you would not be able to really do anything in zones with lots of people, you would never be able to join a true raid, and you would prolly (not sure) experience some lag even grouping with just 5 other players....

However, you should be able to take your SWG account and for one month, upgrade it to a station pass and test this out for yourself. One month shouldn't hurt to much and would give you a chance to see all of the SOE games at your modem speed...

----------------------------------------
    My dog barks some. Mentally you picture my dog, but I have not told you the type of dog which I have. Perhaps you even picture Toto, from "The Wizard of Oz." But I warn you, my dog is always with me.

• PonziniPonzini Member UncommonPosts: 506

I use to play EQ back when I had 28k when it came out. So the old areas should work fine.

But dude, come on hehe get a 56k! modem is bad enough these days 28k is just unheard of. I used to have that kinda speed back in elementary school. Im sure you could find a 56k modem for extremly cheap these days.

Its time to let the 28k die... move on man

• DyrttDyrtt Member Posts: 422

I used to play EQ on a 56k modem with a good connection. I had few problems out in the world. The second I came close to a city though I would have unbearable lag. Moving around the area was almost impossible. Often it would go so far that I would wait until non peak hours (9am or so) to go into cities to tend to whatever business I had in there. I doubt 28k would do to well.

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

I have played EQ since launch, and with the way they utilize the connection now you would have a very terrible time with 28k and zoning would drop you most the time. I wouldn't recommend trying it.

I highly doubt SWG would do it either

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• HyoukanHyoukan Member Posts: 307
    Dial up still exists? Wow! It's like sooooooooooooooooooooo amazing, you should sell the modem as an antique on ebay.

Anywho, yeah I'm pretty sure you could, and yeah, you need to get DSL or something, DSL is as cheap as $20 a month.
  • BaalimBaalim Member Posts: 11

Im going to be getting cable myself. Its better that dsl and its only 42 bucks a month...i may wind up going with bellsouth fast access dsl...not really all that sure though. does anybody have fast access dsl with bellsouth???

• Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822

He may have a 56k modem and still not get 56k connection. Ive had a 56k modem in the past and gotten less than 28k actuall phone line speed connection all the time.

Oh well, no more dial up for me ever.

• BaalimBaalim Member Posts: 11
    i have a 56k modem and i never get a connection below 42.6...i normally get 44.0 kbps but you know how that goes