Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My thoughts about "The EXP Grind"

2»

Comments

• xminatorxminator Member Posts: 306
    The double xp been in since launch btw :p The only thing they did last patch was making it visible (after getting questions about why people gained xp at diffrent speed), and splitting artisan and adventurer vitality. Just do a search on Moorgards posts on eq2forums. Its all there, but burried under the hundreds of posts he made since (so much for the non-communication from soe :p)
  • ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

yes, I remember that, but they also did increase solo experience with that patch I beleive.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• xminatorxminator Member Posts: 306
    Yes, but group xp is still way better. And more fun if you stay away from the grind groups.
  • plaindogplaindog Member Posts: 13

The reason for SOE to have this xp system is because they "want" you to log off for 3 days. Then you have an active account much longer than if you played all the time. Its all about soe's money. They created the game so that they could make insane amounts of money on it, nothing else.

It just frustrates me that ppl don't see it...

• JodokaiJodokai Member Posts: 1,621

Originally posted by plaindog

The reason for SOE to have this xp system is because they "want" you to log off for 3 days. Then you have an active account much longer than if you played all the time. Its all about soe's money. They created the game so that they could make insane amounts of money on it, nothing else.

HOLY SH!T!! A COMPANY MADE A GAME HOPING TO HATE MONEY?!?!?!? WTF WERE THEY THINKING!!

Thanks for the update Einstein.

Originally posted by Jodokai

HOLY SH!T!! A COMPANY MADE A GAME HOPING TO HATE MONEY?!?!?!? WTF WERE THEY THINKING!!

Yes I agree and have no problem with a company making money. No dishonour in that.

But when you have to log off and NOT play the game, because they want to make money. Then there is something seriously wrong with that company's moneyhungry policy. Don't you think?

Or do you think its ok to not play a game you subscribe for?

• anthrorobanthrorob Member Posts: 50

Originally posted by Jodokai

Yes I agree and have no problem with a company making money. No dishonour in that.

But when you have to log off and NOT play the game, because they want to make money. Then there is something seriously wrong with that company's moneyhungry policy. Don't you think?

Or do you think its ok to not play a game you subscribe for?

Hmm, I don't remember SOE standing next to my computer to shut off the game when I used the XP bonus up.  If folks sign off cause they aren't getting the bonus...well that is their prerogative.  Personally I don't play enough to ever burn through the xp bonus.  Sad, but true. 

This is meant to help those of us with lives still enjoy the game and not just eat the dust of the kids who play 23/7.

Anthrorob

Agree to this myself actually. Kinda stupid to log off because you want better xp rates. I actually feel sad about those who do hehe

I have yet to ever use up my experience bonus. I have always been at double experience even on heavier weeks of gameplay. As I have said many times before, I am a casual gamer, thats what makes EQ 2 perfect for me.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• psyconiuspsyconius Member Posts: 272

/me smells a Blizzard fanboy..

Anyway.. IMHO, there is no grind if you are a quest whore. That keeps the game atleast somewhat fresh. And having adult-ADD helps(rolling 8 characters).

So far.. with ~4 characters I play semi-regularly I have yet to ever just "bunker down" and kill for XP. It has always been for quests. I think this is great. Sony wins my money.. That is all.

--
    psyconius Cthulhu
    Gothika Studios

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

Fadeus I remember when you use to be pretty nice about your post. Lately though you remind me more and more. Of another MMORPG.com member named Sygmas. ::::21::

Originally posted by psyconius
    /me smells a Blizzard fanboy..
    Anyway.. IMHO, there is no grind if you are a quest whore. That keeps the game atleast somewhat fresh. And having adult-ADD helps(rolling 8 characters).
    So far.. with ~4 characters I play semi-regularly I have yet to ever just "bunker down" and kill for XP. It has always been for quests. I think this is great. Sony wins my money.. That is all.

Not everyone that has something other then positive to say about EQ2 is a WoW fanboy. What he said really wasn't negative either.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• WickesWickes Member UncommonPosts: 749

Originally posted by Roin

Not everyone that has something other then positive to say about EQ2 is a WoW fanboy.

That's very true.  But the odd thing is that most who show up here are ... and to boot, many if not most try to conceal it initially, while they pursue what they think are clever approaches.

I still try to be considerate to those that actually post something that is atleast semi legit or coherent. But some of the accusations just get downright ludicrous. If you look around I am still quite nice with alot of posts (or so I thought), unfortunately not many of them are in the EQ II section unfortunately.

Anyways, comment noted, perhaps my mood here will improve soon. ::::20::

Also, that was before I had played long enogh to start to get a good feel of the game, I have only been playing near 2 months so far but have a far better understanding of whats going and what is and isn't accurate about the game. Sometimes I just can't even comprehend what I am hearing about the game after playing it, anyways, if I have been coming off hard lately, I do apologise to those that didn't earn it.

- Scaris

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

Originally posted by Wickes
    Originally posted by Roin Not everyone that has something other then positive to say about EQ2 is a WoW fanboy.
    That's very true. But the odd thing is that most who show up here are ... and to boot, many if not most try to conceal it initially, while they pursue what they think are clever approaches.

Head to the offical Mourning Forums if you want to see what a true 'fanboy' is. Those people scare me. ::::15::

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

D'oh!

- Scaris

Originally posted by Fadeus

I still try to be considerate to those that actually post something that is atleast semi legit or coherent. But some of the accusations just get downright ludicrous....
    Sometimes I just can't even comprehend what I am hearing about the game after playing it, anyways, if I have been coming off hard lately, I do apologise to those that didn't earn it.

Yup, me too.  I actually do feel a little guilty once in a while for crapping on one of "them" ... but not often =)  Sometimes you just get tired of reading horse dung though.

Particularly some of these complaints about the way the game looks.  Okay, some of the models could use some improvement as well as some animations, but that's the case with every game and overall ... sheesh.  Since I got this new monitor it seems like every night I sit there asking myself WTF people can possibly not like about how this game looks.  Yeah, I can understand those who like the cartoon approach ... but that's just a different approach.  But otherwise the game looks flat out astonishing even on my old rig. I was running back to town last night (Qeynos) during nighttime and when I got within good view I just stopped - for about the 100th time - and thought "holy crap ... just look at this".   I can't even imagine what it would look like with a Hal9000 (hiya Koltrane =p)

Meanwhile I'm still embroiled in my great monitor issue.  I went to CompUSA and stood there studying what must have been 40 different monitors and now it's worse.  I saw all sorts of more expensive LCDs with faster response times than the one I bought that simply don't look as good and have ghosting which I don't have.  And thus ended any possibility of ordering something sight unseen from NewEgg or something ... yeah sure, let me pay more and have something shipped in that winds up not as good.  Then I ask about CRTs and I find they have *ONE* 19" (or greater) CRT in the whole damn store??   Are CRTs dead?  Did I miss a meeting.  Any tje CRT which they did have didn't look very good.

But everywhere I read that 25ms (as I have) is not sufficient for gaming so I feel like I *should* get something faster or just go back to a CRT or there's something wrong with me. My wife says I am obsessing to death over this ... which is true I guess. Oh my, what to do.

And thus concludes my morning coffee ramble =)  Apologies =)

And yeah, the Mourning people are a bit extreme .. you see it over and over ... people put all their hopes in whatever is coming out next and then it can't possibly meet their expectations.  Rinse and repeat.

• PhenPhen Member Posts: 29

Originally posted by Fadeus

Originally posted by Wickes
    Exactly, lol ... we should at least get dinner and a movie first eh image

hahahaha

Wow, you two need to get a room.  lol

If I have to explain the efforts EQ2 has made to try to compete, I know more about the game you are playing than you do.  I think you both would be more happy living with blinders on, whispering "everything is just fine" over and over to each other.

I could care less if you feel that disatisfaction with the game and SOE's efforts to compete feels like you are getting personally attacked.  (buying you dinner first?)  That is your baggage to carry.  You vastly overestimate your importance or any role at all in my comments. 

Regardless, I remain hopeful that there is progess made, since they are trying so hard.

Originally posted by Phen
    Originally posted by Fadeus Originally posted by WickesExactly, lol ... we should at least get dinner and a movie first eh imagehahahaha
    Wow, you two need to get a room. lol
    If I have to explain the efforts EQ2 has made to try to compete, I know more about the game you are playing than you do. I think you both would be more happy living with blinders on, whispering "everything is just fine" over and over to each other.
    I could care less if you feel that disfatisfaction with the game and SOE's efforts to compete feels like you are getting personally attacked. (buying you dinner first?) That is your baggage to carry. You vastly overestimate your importance or any role at all in my comments.
    Regardless, I remain hopeful that there is progess made, since they are trying so hard.

Wickes made a joke, that was all. I don't have to whisper a thing to myself, I am the one that enjoys it, deal with it. You apparently have a problem with me enjoying myself playing a game of my choice. Its a frivalous purchase, a game, and you wanna sit and talk about denial, how about growing up alittle bit?

Can't comment on anything else since I honestly can't understand half of what your talking about. My baggage to carry? I feel disastifaction from the game, thats news to me!

- Scaris

• PhenPhen Member Posts: 29

Was there any reason you responded at all, other than you got your ass handed to you?  Your perspective is your own and you are entitled to it.  Be careful about drawing conclussions about others and posting them, hoping the poster will not return and read them.  You are outmanned and look like an idiot.

Also, the quote under your picture is no more yours than these forums are.  My varsity coach had that on his sweatshirt when I was in high school. 

I am sorry if you have been exposed a bit, but others have a right to say whatever they like.  You can make your self important, shallow observations if you like, but you do so at your own risk.  These forums do not belong to you , just because you live on them.

Now I will leave this topic because it bores me.  You can make some comment and defend yourself so you appear to have saved face.  I know that others have seen you as you are. 

And I am not surprized you do not understand what I posted.  Not surprized at all....

Major meltdown for the loss.

Next ................

Originally posted by Phen
    Was there any reason you responded at all, other than you got your ass handed to you? Your perspective is your own and you are entitled to it. Be careful about drawing conclussions about others and posting them, hoping the poster will not return and read them. You are outmanned and look like an idiot.
    Also, the quote under your picture is no more yours than these forums are. My varsity coach had that on his sweatshirt when I was in high school.
    I am sorry if you have been exposed a bit, but others have a right to say whatever they like. You can make your self important, shallow observations if you like, but you do so at your own risk. These forums do not belong to you , just because you live on them.
    Now I will leave this topic because it bores me. You can make some comment and defend yourself so you appear to have saved face. I know that others have seen you as you are.
    And I am not surprized you do not understand what I posted. Not surprized at all....

::::12::

- Scaris

• SaigonshakesSaigonshakes Member Posts: 937

Phen takes this stuff pretty seriously. Lighten up Phen. It'll make us all a bit happier.

• KnoxayKnoxay Member Posts: 98

I've been playing since release and I'm currently lvl 37.

Very rarely have I done anything in this game just to get experience points (which is my definition of grinding). The only time I've killed stuff just to get the xp is when it's late and I'm 5% away from leveling. I get the rest of my xp while working on quests, exploring new areas, or guild writs. So far this has been the best game I've played when it comes to "the grind", anyone who thinks they have to camp one area for hours in order to advance their character is cheating themselves.

You know, its funny, whenever I see people here going on about how un soloable EQ II is and how much a grind is I show it to my girlfriend and she gets a kick out of it because she hates grouping in EQ II because she says its too easy, she pics on me about it because she says its a solo game and asks me why I am grouping all the time. She has played EQ 1 with me since about a year after launch when I introduced her too it and she soloed her way to level 62 as a warrior in it. So she knows VERY well what grind is. I know everyone has their own toleance levels on things and everyone's attention spans are different. But I do find it amusing that a game which is so easy to both solo and level is being nit picked for just those reasons.

I think those that loathe SOE picked the worst 2 things possible to try to harp as its flaws, poor planning maybe? Actually I think because the people that are gripin about it are those that played it at launch for about a week and decided that was the game, and considering the TON of changes that have gone into place they are harping on a dead issue now. So for those that wish to keep wonking on about grind and it being too hard to solo, please keep going, because you expose your lack of knowledge acout the current state of the game when you do. ::::28::

- Scaris