Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Keymap horrors

someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I think EVE's UI is one of the best Ive see so far. The way information is linked is awesome.

Except keymapping. ctrl+shift+function key is not really userfriendly. Not letting players map shift+alphanumerical or just an alphanumerical key isnt either. I know that this has to do wth the way chat works, but other games usually have an option to change chatmode. So that you need to press enter first or click the box before typing. This would make more userfriendly shortcuts possible.

My keyboard has these tiny function keys and Im used to use all my shortcuts with just my left hand so my right hand stays on mouse (fps legacy). In EVE its as if Im playing piano because it doesnt accept single keys. Not to mention the stupid placing of the windows key between alt and ctrl (thanks Microsoft!).

/rant off :p

Comments

• McgreagMcgreag Member UncommonPosts: 495

While I agree that the game could have better hotkey support I find the "chatmode" most other games use to be really bad. It discourage socialization, you can't effectively talk while fighting.

"Memories are meant to fade. They're designed that way for a reason."

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Originally posted by Mcgreag

While I agree that the game could have better hotkey support I find the "chatmode" most other games use to be really bad. It discourage socialization, you can't effectively talk while fighting.

Im not sure how pressing enter to make the chatbox active, discourages socialization.

The way it is now in EVE, you cant use alphanumerical keys for creating shortcuts. Only in combination with at least ctrl or alt. Not even shift+alphanum. key is possible. This is because the chatbox is always active without windows open/maximized.

Then there is also built in voice to communicate with each other.

EVE could do with a toggle option to change chatmode to enable easier keymapping.

Because you can't chat while fighting and you can't fight while chatting. You will either end up doing non intended actions while trying to chat (which in eve can have very serious consequences), or you will just type gibberish in the chatbox instead of performing your actions if you try.

Having a chat mode and a fight mode goes against the whole idea behind an mmorpg imho. And no voice chat is not the solution, voice chat is a supplement to written chat, not a replacement.

• tranceamtranceam Member Posts: 37

other games ? what do you mean ?

none of any Sci-Fi MMOs in the market will provide you such controls via their GUIs . This is why people  prefer  using voice communications while doing pvp because it would be very difficult to chat at the same time. If you want to chat , stay in stations : )

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Originally posted by Mcgreag

Because you can't chat while fighting and you can't fight while chatting. You will either end up doing non intended actions while trying to chat (which in eve can have very serious consequences), or you will just type gibberish in the chatbox instead of performing your actions if you try.

Having a chat mode and a fight mode goes against the whole idea behind an mmorpg imho. And no voice chat is not the solution, voice chat is a supplement to written chat, not a replacement.

Thats besides the point. Im talking about flexibility in keymapping, not advice on when or how to chat with other players.

Besides during action I prefer voice, so you can keep your eyes on the things that matter during the fight. Mind you, Im not telling you that you should use it. Im just saying that I dont need typed chat during combat.

I also didnt ask to change the chatmode by default, but a toggle option in settings. So for people who prefer to use keymaps with less restrictions then the current ones. It wouldnt change anything for you.

Ive played loads of PVP in many different games and if there is a chatwindow, I prefer the one where I need to press enter first before i type in the window. This way i can use single keys as shortcuts for actions and dont need weird combinations like in EVE, because every single key (or shift+key) ends up in chatwindow.

Originally posted by tranceam
    other games ? what do you mean ?
    none of any Sci-Fi MMOs in the market will provide you such controls via their GUIs . This is why people  prefer  using voice communications while doing pvp because it would be very difficult to chat at the same time. If you want to chat , stay in stations : )

Starwars Galaxies interface (before the CU, post CU pre NGE it was still supported but not the default) had the same function as EVE, ie no specific chat mode, used arrow keys for movment and the F keys for skill activation. I still find that interface better than what everyone is using these days.
    So no EVE is not the only one.

Btw I find it a very important feature of an MMORPG to have a combat system and interface that both support and encourage communications and socialization during all aspects of the game. Socialization is not something you should be limited to do while not actually playing.
    Both classic SWG and EVE had/have the interface combined with an enough hands off combat system to actually do this.

Also PVP isn't the only fighting you know and if the people I talk to are not flying with me then I very much prefer text chat even during pvp. I concede that voice chat is a necessary evil during group pvp but don't force it upon me at other times please.

I also didnt ask to change the chatmode by default, but a toggle option in settings. So for people who prefer to use keymaps with less restrictions then the current ones. It wouldnt change anything for you.
    It would take focus out of actually improving the interface by adding something that can only be described as an ugly hack that goes against design philosophy that CCP at least so far has maintained.