Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AION FTW!

2»

Comments

• NoobkilarNoobkilar Member Posts: 175

not a bad game til 25-30 area. After that its grind grind and solo if you can. Crafting sucks 300+, pvp is blah......it would still be going strong if they actually knew what a NA market wants.

• Lathander81Lathander81 Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by Noobkilar

not a bad game til 25-30 area. After that its grind grind and solo if you can. Crafting sucks 300+, pvp is blah......it would still be going strong if they actually knew what a NA market wants.

The only way to find out what we want is to put the game out and have the critics complain. Then they can get a feel for what the NA market wants.  The only reason begining MMOs seems soo good is because you had no expectations.  Expecting so much out of a game will only get you in trouble.  Aion is a solid game and issues are being addressed. So kick back, find a good legion, and enjoy yourself. 

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791

It's a great game to level 25.  

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

Originally posted by avalon1000

It's a great game to level 25.  

I thought the same thing. Kinda goes downhill after. The abyss is alot of fun but its a terrible place to level.

• mrbbmanmrbbman Member Posts: 282

This game has excellent graphics, a decently sized world, and a lot of good things about it. My wife and I sort of dropped off from it though. there was just something missing and I still can't quite put my finger on it. I think it has to do with the fantasy genre being over done. I just have more trouble getting into fantasy MMOs these day due to the fact that it's been done 100 times. However, if this is your thing and you are geeked about every sort of fantasy game then this is a decent game. I really can't find any fault with it other than that.

True Neutral Half-Elf Ranger Mage
    Follower Of Silvanus

Kings of Chaos! Free to play! Great PvP!

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

im also playing lvl 24 at the moment and still having alot of fun!

very soon the new update goes live wich adds alot of quests (they also admitted the game was to mutch of a grind and now they are going to fix that)

in the update they add content for all levels and more to the endgame.

• toph1980toph1980 Member Posts: 14

Hmm, dunno. I mean, I love Aion and believe it is one of the best MMORPGs currently on the market, if not the best. But at the same time, it is also one of the most annoying MMORPG I've ever played. And here's why:

I pre-registered, got the CE and everything. Prelaunch was fun and crazy (if you ever made it passed the queue), there was tons of people playing Aion and during the next couple of months it was a very entertaining game. But then something happened - by December, players started to reach level 50 and endgame - only to find out the grinding had just begun. Many cancelled their subs and quit. And those who stayed behind had to face both the sudden lack of players and other problems.

One being the grind. Not that I mind, I love grinders and got my plat weapon, fenris set, abyss jewelry and so on all within a couple of months time. Nor do I consider Aion being a massive grinder either (like certain people claim it to be). If you wanna know what a real grinder is go play Flyff and level your character to Hero. That's 180 levels of pure korean grind. Then obtain Ultimate/Bloody weapons, Bloody set, upgrade it all to +10 and then element enchant it on top of it all. That shit took me a full year or two to accomplish. On the other hand, accomplishing everything in Aion except DP and S grade only took me 4-5 months. With that said, I do understand that casual players couldn't keep up whit the pace, and like stated, many quit. It left a void.

One of Aion's biggest problems besides the lack players is the endgame content. Don't get me wrong, the content is there, but with that said, I don't believe most of it is working as it should.

Take the Abyss. I loved the Abyss back when Aion was new and I first hit lvl 25. It was packed with players and I remember some legendary battles, fortress sieges included. But that was then. The current Abyss is broken in all ways possible. So is the fortress siege system. The Abyss itself currently being nothing but a wasteland. 

Why? Because you need to grind Abyss points to buy Abyss gear, be it weapons, armor or jewelry. You do that by grinding fort guards as they yield the most Abyss points. You also need to grind fort guards to complete the Miragent/Fenris questline. But once all that is accomplished you cannot risk losing Abyss points. You see, everytime you are ganked in the Abyss you lose Abyss points. You also need Abyss points to buy certain items and to be able to transform. To top it off, Abyss points are used to rank you as a player. For those reasons alone, many endgame players simply avoid setting foot in the Abyss other than when absolutely necessary, thus turning the Abyss into a wasteland. The exception being players grinding fort guards so they too can obtain their endgame PvP/PvE set and low-level players carrying out Abyss quests.

Then there's the fortress siege system. To sum it up, it's all about which side got the most players. If it's your side you win, otherwise, you lose. End of story.

Well, what else is there besides the Abyss? You have Dredgion and Dark Poeta, both decent endgame instances, the former being PvPvE while the latter is strictly PvE. Dredgion was to me the most entertaining instance in Aion. It is a race against the clock, it combines both PvP and PvE into Aion's famous PvPvE system and the drop rate is somewhat decent. Dark Poeta though, is not. Don't get me wrong, it's a fun instance, but the drop rate is so horrible it makes you wanna pull out your hair and smash your head into the wall repeatedly. The poor droprate is just one of many issues Aion struggles with. 

Then there's rifting. Rifting used to be fun, a whole lotta fun. But nowadays, due to the lack of players, you are forced to hit Heiron fortress (if you're Asmo) or Beluslan fortress (if you're Elyos), and battle it out in the skies above either fortress to find any action whatsoever. Or hit villages and cause some mayhem there. Otherwise, you can cross entire maps without finding opponents at all other than bots. It is not only ridiculous but also a serious problem showcasing how Aion is bleeding subs. And NCsoft have done nothing to fix it. If anything, they've contributed to the problem by not merging servers by now. Instead they've mostly given us poor patches.

Like, a fun rift activity was to hit villages, slaughter certain NPCs and claim the flight pads. Every time opponents were incoming by air from another fortress or village, or coming a friend to the aid, you would just stand on the flight pad, grab them as soon as they touched the ground and tear them a new one. But NCsoft has patched it since then by adding additional NPC guards. Silly wabbits.

Stuff like that. Aion is struggling with tons of problems, most being endgame ones. Yes, Dredgion and Dark Poeta are fun instances, but you can only run instances a given amount of times before they too bore you to death.. And then there are all the gameplay bugs that haven't been patched to this very day, like the out of range bug, flight bugs etc. Not to mention the grind itself. Again, not that I mind, but why must a game with such heavy emphasis on PvP force you to grind mobs to succeed? Where's the PVP in it? If anything, the current Abyss points system is forcing players NOT to PvP. That's just silly.

On top of it all you got the RNG factor. Good luck obtaining your Miragent/Fenris set if the 4th part of the questline doesn't crit. I dunno how many players have quit because of it but it certainly ain't few. Some go months trying to obtain all items needed only for it to fail 15 times in a row. I got lucky and had it crit on my second try.

I love Aion. I really do. Back when it was packed with players it was a really fun experience. But it doesn't change the fact it's broken in so many ways it could drive you crazy and make you wanna commit suicide both at once. Here's one hoping 1.9 or 3.0 will improve the game. Might even return by then. But not before.

Also, NCsoft should start merging servers, at least european ones. Never played Aion on NA servers. But the lack of players on certain EU servers is shocking, there are 10 year old MMOs out there with better server popularity. Again, it's just ridiculous and showcasing how Aion is seriously bleeding subs. And if there are no players then I don't wanna play. Neither do you. After all, it's called MMO for a reason.