Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Banned!

0tter0tter Member UncommonPosts: 226

I was curious about something.  In the 10+ years I've been playing mmorpgs, I've never been banned, muted, or in anyway punished ingame.  Yet during that time, I've had many, many discussions with guildies in various mmorpgs over the years that have been banned repeatedly for different infractions.  It may be some kind of hack, broken forum rule, exploit, or the one I've heard the most over the years, for nothing.

I started thinking about this again because I've read several threads over the last few weeks that brought up gamers being banned for various things and coming hear to vent their frustrations. 

I was wandering if anyone had any good stories of being temp banned or the dreaded perma banned for something in a game.

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

I got my accounts perma-banned in Lineage 1 for dropping scrolls all around and posting on the city bulletin board that I was leaving to go play DAOC and encouraging others to come join me.

I got a temp ban once in DAOC for exploiting a position above a gate which was odd since anyone could easily get up to it, didn't take any special jumping or something but the moderator said it was a 3 day ban.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Nah, the most "illegal" thing I've done was glitch under Stormwind in WoW a couple of times. Though I did get a few warnings for cussing out morons in Alterac Valley. Ah, good times... "NO, you DON'T RUN out of Galv's room YOU ****ING NOOB!" Hehe.

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

Ive never been banned from a game I was playing, but I did get a permanent ban from WoW after my account had been inactive for about a year. When they first started pushing the b.net accounts, they had a loophole that allowed people to convert inactive accounts to b.net if they had the account name without the password. Stupid me always used the same username and forum name in every game Ive ever played so it wasnt hard to figure out.

Blizzard was kind enough to revert my account when I called them and they even left the 130k gold on my toon.

• ProsonProson Member UncommonPosts: 544

Me and like 50 others got summoned to GM island in WoW back in the early days on kazzak. We all got 3 days ban. Wich was perfect for me as i was rank 13 going for rank 14 that week. but since i got banned for 3 days i got a crappy Standing and went to rank 12 and lost like 3 weeks of work -_-

Got banned for anoher 3 days for "hacking" in AB. I added some files to the wow folder that made every camp fire a "Dark Portal" lol, so i could just place a camp fire and walk over the gates :P

Also like 5-6 bans that lasted for only a few hours. for going to unfinished zones, like mount hyjal, CoT before it was opend etc.

And later when TBC came out the game started to suck i just used hacks and exploits all the time for fun until i got perma banned (didnt take long :P )

Never been banned in any other MMOs.

Currently Playing Path of Exile

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

Was temp banned in AO for reporting an item bug way back in the day. Got a really nice SMG out of a mission that required way more stats than I had at the time. I went to link the gun in guild chat and accidentally equiped it and was able to use it. Being the type of player I am I contacted an ARK.

I told the ARK what I was able to do and that the item stats requirements werent preventing me from wearing the item. The guy asked me if I had buffs running or implants in that might have let me OE (over equip) the item to which I replied no. He told me that he was going to contact the GM on duty and to sit tight.

So I waited...

And waited...

And waited...

Finally I gave up and logged off because I had to get ready to pick up my girlfriend from work.

When I got home I tried to log in, but my account was banned. I contacted support to find out why and was sent an email stating that my account was banned to due item exploitation.

Took about 48 hours, but they finally unbanned my account, apologised and also credited me with 30 days of playtime.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

In original SWG I got in an argument with the Chef class rep, who I thought was a prat, and posted a suggestion about something he might eat.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Originally posted by Comnitus

Nah, the most "illegal" thing I've done was glitch under Stormwind in WoW a couple of times. Though I did get a few warnings for cussing out morons in Alterac Valley. Ah, good times... "NO, you DON'T RUN out of Galv's room YOU ****ING NOOB!" Hehe.

You would not believe the numbers of times I have cursed ( REALLY nasty stuff too) people in BGs, and I have never been so much as warned.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

You would not believe the numbers of times I have cursed ( REALLY nasty stuff too) people in BGs, and I have never been so much as warned.

Yeah, it took a while, but I must've run across a delicate, sensitive soul because one day I got an email saying I was warned for "extensive cursing" (just one f-bomb). Poor little guy, must've been 12 or so and his parents must've been there when he was playing.

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055

Heh, never been banned.

Warned a few times in the official forums(not in game), but not banned.

I must be doing something wrong.  image

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

Never been banned/warned for any MMO and have been playing for far too many years.  Was hacked in LotRO, and they banned the account for an hour or so to get the guy off, but then they returned the account to me.  I try to be respectful when I play.  Could be someone's child/mother playing that other avatar and would hate for anyone to treat my child/mother disrespectfully.

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897

I had a WoW account perm banned for "illegal third party software"

I found out the account was banned when I tried to re-activate after a 16 month hiatus.  They said they sent me an email stating the account was banned etc etc which I never recieved.  I came to the conclusion that the account was compromised after I cancelled it and the email and user information changed.

Oh, and I was "warned" in Horizons for speaking "out of character" in the /say channel on an RPG server.  I remember some guy getting all bent out of shape because I said "lol".  Ya..  seriously.

• syndreamersyndreamer Member UncommonPosts: 43

I got a 7 day ban for undermining a GM's power when I was a Forum Mod for Runes of Magic. That was funny though...

Got Perma-banned off 2Moons for repeated attacks towards David Perry and creating too many satire articles on him and his company.

Perma banned off some Furry-based game called Earth Eternal for flame war with a racist and KSing racist all over the place. He got banned too for being a racist.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

I got perma banned from Runescape back in urm 2003 I think. Apparently I was buying and selling gold in real life. Never, ever happened. What I did have at the time was a very highly rated character, and many, many rares that you could not get anymore. The conspiracy was because I has all the items was just enough to ban me due to effecting the growing in game economy it happened to several people knew in game in similar fashion all within a week.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Originally posted by junzo316

Never been banned/warned for any MMO and have been playing for far too many years.  Was hacked in LotRO, and they banned the account for an hour or so to get the guy off, but then they returned the account to me.  I try to be respectful when I play.  Could be someone's child/mother playing that other avatar and would hate for anyone to treat my child/mother disrespectfully.

If MY child or mother was ignoring the flags to farm honour - they get what they deserve.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• MaxSeawellMaxSeawell Member Posts: 4

Funny you mention that, I got banned for stupid infractions in a couple games before but in WoW I never got so much as a warning from the cursing I did in BGs too.

A friend of a friend, that's what I am doing this for - http://www.hypergrav.com - games and fun!

• FolbyOrbFolbyOrb Member UncommonPosts: 357

If MY child or mother was ignoring the flags to farm honour - they get what they deserve.

lol

Playing | GW2
    Wanting | Pantheon
    Watching | Crowfall
    Retired | WAR, Cabal, MO, CO, SHK, WoW, FFXIV: ARR

• LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701

I got 3 day ban in FFXI playing around and saying I was a GM. Had my first WoW account banned because I left the game for a year came back and apparently it was hacked and perma banned and Blizzard never let me get it back. 

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

I got a warning once way back in my younger days in UO for annoying some verteran member who was in turn harrassing one of my guild members. As for being banned can't say I ever have been.

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

Got a temporary ban on UO.

It was a Christmas Event somewhere, I heard about an exploit to get infinite... snowballs from Santa. It was around Xmas eve when I decided to do it, and holy crap, it worked. It was about using the command to receive gifts (you only get once) with a wild horse near Santa. The horse could receive the gifts infinite times and then you could kill him , and get all the gifts from his corpse.

I recall back home and open my snowball "truck", and a GM appears before me and I get that "oh sh-- busted!" shiver down my spine. He says he was watching everything while invisible, I ask him if I can discard the snowballs, but he says there's no need because I'm banned. A few days later I got to know it was just temporary and I come back in-game... to find out I got to keep my snowballs.

This was sometime around 7~9 years ago. At that time I learned about punishments that are actually worth suffering over the infraction as I got to keep my snowballs for just a few days of "vacation". While I saw a whole new world of "possibilities" like many would, I discarded like 95% of the snowballs and kept a reasonable amount to enjoy later (pure fluff, you throw at someone and that's all and reasonable being a number that someone with multiple characters could have acquired), I felt no pleasure, it didn't feel rewarding. The excitement was just there while breaking the rules (like in a horror movie or game, messing with something or someplace that is said to be cursed and will kill you in horrible ways), not while getting caught or consuming the rule break results, it actually felt dumb to have done that - while it was worth it, it didn't feel worth it.

I never broke rules intentionally again, not even in RL (I used to be quite mischievous at school). It's amazing how almost total impunity felt actually worse than being properly punished.

• SynthetickSynthetick Member Posts: 977

I got quite a few temporary bans on AC2. I played on Coldeve, Frostfell, and Darktide, and all of my bans came from the GMs over on Darktide.

One that sticks out is when I was in a fellow with just one other player, a good friend of mind, and we were running around Linvak through various portal rings trying to find some PVP action. During the process, we came across someone, and I accidentally said something to the extent of "Damnit" in regular chat, though I meant for it to be in fellowship (party) chat. A few minutes later I got a message from the GM saying that the content of our discussion within our fellowship was going to get me a 1 week temporary ban.

At the time I thought it was pretty odd to get banned for something I obviously wasn't reported for and was only shared with the other member in my party. 

• Loki_gzLoki_gz Member Posts: 13

idk ive NEVER got banned from anything.

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

Never been warned or banned for anything. The only run-in I've had with a GM outside of submitting a ticket was on EQ2 when I waved at a GM as I passed by. They stopped me and gave me free stuff for 'being nice', lol.

• BrotheryangBrotheryang Member UncommonPosts: 174

it's nothing special but i was banned for a week or two *cant remember* a couple years back in wow when i used wall hacks to look over STV. also got a perma ban on same account in wow for real money trading.

• SonikFlashSonikFlash Member UncommonPosts: 561

Perma banned on around 50 accounts in EQ for ghostkilling and no-delaying.  But not before I made a shit ton of money selling the other accounts.

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827

Ive never been banned and i play sinds '99 when i started in AC.

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.