Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Allods vs WOW(Post your opinion)

RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

Post your opinion, but please, dont mention the Free vs Pay to play. Lets keep those out of the discussion.

The reason why i left wow and the reason i decided to join Allods:

I left wow at lvl 70. From 1 to 70, i was only looking forward to the pvp. My friends convinced me to buy wow so i did. Back then(and today again) I only played online games. Can be RTS, FPS. With friends(Without the online feature) Fighting games like tekken, streetfighter, Defjam Fight for NY) So from here, you can see that i only enjoy competitive games.

Anyway... I was also a fan of warcraft. So i thought that the PVP part (once we done with the adventure on killing monsters) would be mostly about warfare. Horde vs Alliance, area control. I also had in mind that the PVP would happen only in the world. I didnt had BG's and Arena's in mind back them. All i did was rushing from 1 to 70 without getting slowed down by other stuff. The only time i did pvp is when i came across players while i was questing. Those moment of unpredictable pvp wear so great when it lasted. Once i hit lvl 70, i asked my friends, what i should do now. They suggested me to do BG's and arena. So thats what i did for a while. After a couple of time, doing the same limited BG's, same arena, i didnt felt like i was pvping in the World of Warcraft. So once my subscription ended, i didnt resub back.

The reason im join Allods now

I dont know if its true, but it seem like Allods got no BG's or arena. If they do have that, it still seem to be a lot more about the world pvp. Space ship combat seem a lot interesting. When i watch youtube pvp videos, i can see the real type of warfare taht i was looking for. The good side and the bad side are constantly fighting in the world. I also readed other reviews and the reviwers are saying that Allods is simply better because of the world pvp activities.

Thats all. I hope allods will still be fun on the long run. I dont want to have a reason to leave this game once i hit the lvl cap or once i done all that could be done. PVP is the only thing that can keep me in a mmorpg.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

Comments

• Bob23106Bob23106 Member UncommonPosts: 30

Warhammer online / Guild Wars is the games for you the game is totally based on the PVP. 

Guild Wars level cap is online 20. You develop you charcter by choosing a vast range of skills. With huge battles and solo PVP theres no reason why you shouldnt have fun in this game. Plus its just a one off payment. unlike WoW. Amazing high playerbase.

Warhammer online: P2P but the game was developed for PVP.  You gain Exp by PVP or Questing. The screnios are 15 vs 15 players. Althought he game is good the playbase is rather low. 

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

Originally posted by Bob23106

Warhammer online / Guild Wars is the games for you the game is totally based on the PVP. 

Guild Wars level cap is online 20. You develop you charcter by choosing a vast range of skills. With huge battles and solo PVP theres no reason why you shouldnt have fun in this game. Plus its just a one off payment. unlike WoW. Amazing high playerbase.

Warhammer online: P2P but the game was developed for PVP.  You gain Exp by PVP or Questing. The screnios are 15 vs 15 players. Althought he game is good the playbase is rather low. 

I dont know if you readed my posts, but actities like Battleground or a simple fairness scenario like  3 vs 3, 15 vs 15 is what i dont want to see when i play an mmorpg. I want everything to happen in the world. I have enough of instance type pvp when i play FPS games.

For warhammer, i saw open RVR. Il be thinking about this game. Seem interesting.

• golightgolight Member Posts: 104

Originally posted by Realbigdeal

The reason im join Allods now

I dont know if its true, but it seem like Allods got no BG's or arena. If they do have that, it still seem to be a lot more about the world pvp. Space ship combat seem a lot interesting. When i watch youtube pvp videos, i can see the real type of warfare taht i was looking for. The good side and the bad side are constantly fighting in the world. I also readed other reviews and the reviwers are saying that Allods is simply better because of the world pvp activities.

Thats all. I hope allods will still be fun on the long run. I dont want to have a reason to leave this game once i hit the lvl cap or once i done all that could be done. PVP is the only thing that can keep me in a mmorpg.

Allods is a great game, but the PVP is almost non existent. WoW from what I remember at least had very active scenarios and arenas. 

In Allods you often will have to rely on finding something called a War Banner to drop from mobs, this allows you to attack anyone you like providing they are high enough lvl. However the experiance I've had so far is, you pop a banner.. hunt down someone to fight.. you engage them.. they run to a safe zone.. pvp over. Or the other way around, someone with a war banner attacks you.. they realize they made a mistake and might die, and they (or you) run back to a safe zone. People are simply scared of dying due to the massive impact of the death penalty (lasts for 45+ mins and means you can't fight due to lower stats).

When you do manage to have a 1-vs-1 fight it's fun and interesting. Some classes are very unbalanced but that will probably be fixed. However in it's current state PVP just isn't working. Far too much griefing, many people not interested for whatever reason and the so called open PVP zones have no objectives, no reason to engage other players. Some world zones do force you into PVP mode (flagged for PVP), but that can often lead griefing rather than equal PVP fights.

Allods PVP in theory is a good, however in realty it's very broken.

I do hope they improve it, but there seems to be no plans yet of changing or adding real PVP to Allods.

Play: -
    Played: FFXIV, WAR, Allods, Aion, AoC, DDO, EQ2, GW, Lotro, Tabula Rasa, Vanguard, WoW

• KareshKaresh Member UncommonPosts: 242

OK, if you ask me, Allods pvp is not anywhere near broken. First, I would say that the death penalty is NOT  anywhere near as bad as people make it sound. When you're max lvl then the FoD (fear of death thaat decreases stats) is an hour long. But you can buy mirh from a vendor that takes it away. At max lvl it takes aroun 3k myrh to get rid of FoD. But someone who is max lvl can get 4 gold in 5 minutes just from killing mobs (1k myrh is 1 gold). Also, when he said that Allods pvp is broken, that's an understatement. He obviously hasn't experienced Astral Space. Astral Space is end game, where you and a party of 6 can command a ship, explore new Allods (islands in Space), get loot, attack enemy ships and take their loot, and they can attack your ship too. Now before end game, pvp is out in the open, but not massively. The reason there's not a ton of pvp out in the open is because the game is not designed for the majority of the game to take place there. When pvp really starts is end game. Think of it like this, lvls 1-40 are like a huge freaking tutorial, and end game is when the real game starts. before end game, you can attack other players who have their pvp flag on, it turns on when you attack another player or an enemy faction mob. If you want to attack non-flagged players then you will need a war banner. Which is a drop from a mob, it doesn't drop that often, but often enough where you can get them without too much trouble.

I hope that answered what you wanted to know =)

I know i love this game, it's the only mmo i've never gotten bored with by max lvl.

• KrygonKrygon Member Posts: 24

Originally posted by Karesh

OK, if you ask me, Allods pvp is not anywhere near broken. First, I would say that the death penalty is NOT  anywhere near as bad as people make it sound. When you're max lvl then the FoD (fear of death thaat decreases stats) is an hour long. But you can buy mirh from a vendor that takes it away. At max lvl it takes aroun 3k myrh to get rid of FoD. But someone who is max lvl can get 4 gold in 5 minutes just from killing mobs (1k myrh is 1 gold). Also, when he said that Allods pvp is broken, that's an understatement. He obviously hasn't experienced Astral Space. Astral Space is end game, where you and a party of 6 can command a ship, explore new Allods (islands in Space), get loot, attack enemy ships and take their loot, and they can attack your ship too. Now before end game, pvp is out in the open, but not massively. The reason there's not a ton of pvp out in the open is because the game is not designed for the majority of the game to take place there. When pvp really starts is end game. Think of it like this, lvls 1-40 are like a huge freaking tutorial, and end game is when the real game starts. before end game, you can attack other players who have their pvp flag on, it turns on when you attack another player or an enemy faction mob. If you want to attack non-flagged players then you will need a war banner. Which is a drop from a mob, it doesn't drop that often, but often enough where you can get them without too much trouble.

I know i love this game, it's the only mmo i've never gotten bored with by max lvl.

If you get killed during a raid or dugeon instance you CANNOT use myrr to buy your way out, you HAVE TO use perfumes. Why is that so hard for fanboys to understand?  You claim to be max lvl but didn't understand this??

Warbanner drops alot, you should kmow this also.

If a lvl 40 groups with a lvl 20 and the lvl 20 uses warbanner the lvl 20 can target low lvl players thereby letting the lvl 40 gank all day.

People always talk about how good a game is they play, but with this allods group it's really sad. They dont tell all the facts and constantly bring up how great the astral ship's pvp is. And nobodys ever rode in one yet.

They talk about how with future patch's and the removal of fod the game will be great. But forget to mention cursed items taking its place.

If people like the game then great. But why try to twist around the facts? The game sucks as it is right now and i doubt any changes are coming that will improve it enough to be around longer than a year.

• ComplicationComplication Member Posts: 209

if youre looking for a good mmo that is made heavily on the use of open world pvp then i suggest you try Age of Conan.

its does have those little bg type things but people rarely do them.  the majority, if not all, of the pvp in that game happens in open world.  Cimmeria has the biggest player population for the pvp servers.

It sounds to me like you haven't experianced endgame yet yourself... Astral battles does not yet exist, it hasnt happened. It kind of feels like the developers have put such a long build time on ships to give themselves some more time to finish the Astral. For example the first ship built on my server went out, took down a boss.. got back with the loot and it was bugged. They couldnt loot the chest.

If your saying that PVP = Astral Combat, then the game will be pointless for most players. Not many will be able to have access to ship + crew just to go out for some PVP. It needs to be easily accessible.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the game. That's why I would love to see some kind of proper PVP added. The only way I have been able to get any PVP play out of Allods at lvl40 is by killing mobs for war banner then go and engage other players of equal lvl. The problem with that is there are safe zones everywhere and most of the time people get away and hide in them.

Currenlty the only endgame that exists are running the same dungeons you already done earlier at "heroic" difficulty to get good enough gear so that you might at some point survive in the Astral.

Played: FFXIV, WAR, Allods, Aion, AoC, DDO, EQ2, GW, Lotro, Tabula Rasa, Vanguard, WoW

Actually, I never said I was max lvl, I'm 39. And of course there's not really astral battles yet, have you not noticed that the game hasn't been out for a long time? As more and more people get to max lvl, then more and more people will do the Astral. The game is really party oriented (for the astral, you can't solo that). Like someone said you can't buy myrh in an instance...have you even played Allods? If you die in an instance there's no FoD. I also never said that a lvl 40 can't party with a 20 to gank noobs. But even though some people do that, there's no need for it. That's not pvp, that's ganking. If any 40s are in Holy Lands killing people for any reason other than to protect a lower lvl who they're helping, then their just wasting their time when they could be doing something better.

Originally posted by golight

It sounds to me like you haven't experianced endgame yet yourself... Astral battles does not yet exist, it hasnt happened. It kind of feels like the developers have put such a long build time on ships to give themselves some more time to finish the Astral. For example the first ship built on my server went out, took down a boss.. got back with the loot and it was bugged. They couldnt loot the chest.

If your saying that PVP = Astral Combat, then the game will be pointless for most players. Not many will be able to have access to ship + crew just to go out for some PVP. It needs to be easily accessible.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the game. That's why I would love to see some kind of proper PVP added. The only way I have been able to get any PVP play out of Allods at lvl40 is by killing mobs for war banner then go and engage other players of equal lvl. The problem with that is there are safe zones everywhere and most of the time people get away and hide in them.

Currenlty the only endgame that exists are running the same dungeons you already done earlier at "heroic" difficulty to get good enough gear so that you might at some point survive in the Astral.

OK, it looks like I kind of read this wrong, and you might have read mine wrong (although I can't really remember how I worded it so I don't know). But what I meant is not that pvp= Astral. I meant that End Game = Astral

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

Actually, I never said I was max lvl, I'm 39. And of course there's not really astral battles yet, have you not noticed that the game hasn't been out for a long time? As more and more people get to max lvl, then more and more people will do the Astral. The game is really party oriented (for the astral, you can't solo that). Like someone said you can't buy myrh in an instance...have you even played Allods? If you die in an instance there's no FoD. I also never said that a lvl 40 can't party with a 20 to gank noobs. But even though some people do that, there's no need for it. That's not pvp, that's ganking. If any 40s are in Holy Lands killing people for any reason other than to protect a lower lvl who they're helping, then their just wasting their time when they could be doing something better.

Your other post made it seem like you are actively involved in astral battles already.

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

I keep on hearing sad thing. Anyway im kind of tired of the Allods repetitive quests to gain lvl. ITs a huge let down to me. Its too repeitive, they all feel the same and you dont lvl up fast. I rather lvl up fast with 100 lvl cap then lvling up slow with 40 lvl cap. Why? Because 1st of all, there is a ratio. Leveling up in wow is fast, but the cap is 80 so it might take 2-3 months to get there. Allods cap is 40. try to calculate the ratio with the lvl cap of wow that is 80. Maybe allods too might take 2 - 3 months to get to the cap, but thats mean more boring time to play with the same lvl number with same items, same type of quests, same zone. Why is the end game have to be the best part of the game anyway?

With that being said, il chose between age of conan next expansion or wow next expansion. I chose AOC since i heard that there will be more world pvp feature. I already started the game, left at lvl 40, but i think about getting back everyday. Thx for your responses.

I keep on hearing sad thing. Anyway im kind of tired of the Allods repetitive quests to gain lvl. ITs a huge let down to me. Its too repeitive, they all feel the same and you dont lvl up fast. I rather lvl up fast with 100 lvl cap then lvling up slow with 40 lvl cap. Why? Because 1st of all, there is a ratio. Leveling up in wow is fast, but the cap is 80 so it might take 2-3 months to get there. Allods cap is 40. try to calculate the ratio with the lvl cap of wow that is 80. Maybe allods too might take 2 - 3 months to get to the cap, but thats mean more boring time to play with the same lvl number with same items, same type of quests, same zone. Why is the end game have to be the best part of the game anyway?

With that being said, il chose between age of conan next expansion or wow next expansion. I chose AOC since i heard that there will be more world pvp feature. I already started the game, left at lvl 40, but i think about getting back everyday. Thx for your responses.

I kind of agree with this statement. It can get repetative. Although in Allods it's possible to get a lvl a day, so if someone really wants to get there quick, then they can get to max lvl in a month.

Leveling up isn't that boring, the real issues comes when your at lvl40. As I said before I really like the game but there is simply nothing to do. There is no PVP which normally would take up a lot of time, there are dungeons but not that many and just the same ones you done at lower lvls but with increased difficulty. 

I just hope they add something for us lvl40 to do very soon..

• TyrrhonTyrrhon Member Posts: 412

Frankly, for a very long time, WoW had only one or two end game dungeons to do and it was successfull. Allods lacks community mostly due to miserable markettng/publishing, dungeon runs are killed by overlooked exploits and Astral requires long empty wait to reach.

Also, the sense of accomplishment was much higher in WoW than it is in powerselling F2P, where you never know if the game is broken, you should spend thousands more or your guild is bunch of losers, so you are not willing to cope with any challenge.

We play games because they present *safe* challenge. Allods is one F2P that feels very unsafe in the meta sense, you never know when community crumbles away or what kind of insanity will overcome one or the other publisher.

Edit: OP, if you want open world PvP game, get EvE, ads are all over this site and there is a generous free trial. It is one huge server for everyone, no instances at all. But be prepared to find out what open world PvP really means and why people prefer scenarios.

• HydrobluntHydroblunt Member Posts: 282

Allods is a great game, but the PVP is almost non existent. WoW from what I remember at least had very active scenarios and arenas. 

In Allods you often will have to rely on finding something called a War Banner to drop from mobs, this allows you to attack anyone you like providing they are high enough lvl. However the experiance I've had so far is, you pop a banner.. hunt down someone to fight.. you engage them.. they run to a safe zone.. pvp over. Or the other way around, someone with a war banner attacks you.. they realize they made a mistake and might die, and they (or you) run back to a safe zone. People are simply scared of dying due to the massive impact of the death penalty (lasts for 45+ mins and means you can't fight due to lower stats).

When you do manage to have a 1-vs-1 fight it's fun and interesting. Some classes are very unbalanced but that will probably be fixed. However in it's current state PVP just isn't working. Far too much griefing, many people not interested for whatever reason and the so called open PVP zones have no objectives, no reason to engage other players. Some world zones do force you into PVP mode (flagged for PVP), but that can often lead griefing rather than equal PVP fights.

I do hope they improve it, but there seems to be no plans yet of changing or adding real PVP to Allods.

Listen, please play the actual game past level 23.  There is a lot of PvP in Allods.  It has been set up as World PvP and that is exactly what starts happening when you enter Holy Lands.  Players band together and PvP for hours.  Sometimes they use a war banner and just hunt others in order to grind Combat Glory, sometimes it is in order to control the grinding of reapeatable quests for faction and sometimes it is simply random.  It's easy to get flagged due to faction NPCs that you have to kill for a lot of the quests.  Players also decide to raid the camps & towns of the opposing faction and killing the teleporters

The game was set up to promote world pvp which is almost non-existsent in WoW and not really there in Warhammer (it is confined to the RvR lakes where primary objective is RvDoor).  More development is needed and I think options like BGs/scenarios would be welcome, but so far, it has been a very good world PvP design.

Playing: EvE, Warhammer free unlimited trial, Allods Online
    Played: Anarchy Online, WoW, Warhammer, AoC, Ryzom. Aion
    Strongly Recommend: Ryzom, EvE, Allods Online

• HydrobluntHydroblunt Member Posts: 282

Leveling up isn't that boring, the real issues comes when your at lvl40. As I said before I really like the game but there is simply nothing to do. There is no PVP which normally would take up a lot of time, there are dungeons but not that many and just the same ones you done at lower lvls but with increased difficulty. 

I just hope they add something for us lvl40 to do very soon..

There are not enough lvl 40s and building a ship takes a lot of time.  I do think more PvP needs to be developed on the mainlands, while the PvE is Astral space.

40s pretty much come to Holy Lands and start rolling over lowbies, until other 40s show up.  Then they get to do some serious PvP.

Playing: EvE, Warhammer free unlimited trial, Allods Online
    Played: Anarchy Online, WoW, Warhammer, AoC, Ryzom. Aion
    Strongly Recommend: Ryzom, EvE, Allods Online

Originally posted by Hydroblunt

Listen, please play the actual game past level 23.  There is a lot of PvP in Allods.  It has been set up as World PvP and that is exactly what starts happening when you enter Holy Lands.  Players band together and PvP for hours.  Sometimes they use a war banner and just hunt others in order to grind Combat Glory, sometimes it is in order to control the grinding of reapeatable quests for faction and sometimes it is simply random.  It's easy to get flagged due to faction NPCs that you have to kill for a lot of the quests.  Players also decide to raid the camps & towns of the opposing faction and killing the teleporters

The game was set up to promote world pvp which is almost non-existsent in WoW and not really there in Warhammer (it is confined to the RvR lakes where primary objective is RvDoor).  More development is needed and I think options like BGs/scenarios would be welcome, but so far, it has been a very good world PvP design.

Err.. Have you played the game past 23? Doesn't sound like it to me.

I've played Allods at lvl40 for some time now, I can only speak for the English EU server I'm on but there is absolutly no PVP. And I do not count ganking low lvls in Holy Lands as PVP. None of the lvl36+ areas has any PVP except if someone is lucky to find a War Banner and any players who do not run a hide.

We're all waiting for our ships to be finished and running heroic dungeons. There is nothing else to do at 40. I wouldnt mind doing the Heroic runs but the instances are so badly done that  it's just boring. Plus most will exploits terrain etc because of how badly designed the instances are.

The problem on EU servers is that it's now overrun by bunch of Russians who have played it for a longer time than us (on their own servers) and moved over to ours due to the difference in client versions. These guys been exploting the game since day 1 and IF your lucky to find someone flagged for PVP it's likly to be one of them with more or less full epics.

It's very unfortunate because 1v1 PVP is really fun, a fight can last for a very long time and requires a bit of skill and lots of luck. But it simply does not happen often enough.