Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars Space Combat and The Old Republic

Hey guys, (full disclosure) I wrote an article on the history of Star Wars Space Combat and how it related to The Old Republic. I think a number of you guys might get a real kick out of it (especially you X-Wing/Wing Commander/Freespace fogeies), plus it's a bit of a trip down memory lane.

I was going to link it here but when I hit Preview Post this forum Death Starred the article's formatting so I'll just link it:

http://www.alltern8.com/library/mmo_games/star_wars_space_combat_and_the_old_republic/l-5178.html

Let me know what you guys think.

Comments

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Look forward to reading your article. I can remember the very night that a friend of mine handed me a copy of X-Wing for the PC back in 1993.  Thats what lead me down the path to becoming a massive Star Wars nerd, and... internet... troll... God, I wish he hadn't handed me that game in retrospect...

Nevertheless. I miss the X-Wing series dearly and hope that some day it'll come back (Even if LucasArts today isn't even a 4th of what it once was.)

Star Wars Galaxies didn't lose me with the NGE, the lost me with their Wing Commander space expansion that wasn't based on X-Wing/TIE Fighter. A massive insult to me, that was.

• cpaulscpauls Member Posts: 40

Star Wars without space is like sex without sweat...

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Originally posted by cpauls

Star Wars without space is like sex without regrets...

/fix't

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

I am praying to God that TOR does NOT have space combat like STO. I know this will be an incredibluy unpopular opinion but, I HATE flight simulators. I do not want to play a ship, I want to play a person. That is not the sort of gameplay I want in my MMOs. Just MY preference, but that was why I quit STO beta about 3 hours in. Not fun for me. And TOR, with its story-driven, Bioware goodness is a game I want to play badly, so please don't tell me to not play it. I can hope and pray if I want.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Whoa, whoa, whoa. You quit STO 3 hours in because you don't like space combat?

Are you even aware of what Star Trek is about? Or Star Wars for that matter? There's a lot of space combat - you know this, so why bother?

You may also hear from lots of people that JTL did nothing to scratch their itch, but I for one ate it up for a very long time. It's something that sat alongside the main-game without making it redundant, and had it's own form of progression. That's as smart as an expansion can get, it's totally differenty gameplay that doesn't harm the main game in the least bit - regardless of  whether it's your thing or not.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134

Originally posted by GTwander

Originally posted by cpauls

Star Wars without space is like sex without regrets...

/fix't

I laughed.

@Vagrant.  Great article, passed it to a few of my friends. They found it a joy to read. Keep it up.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

I agree with what the article was saying in reference to SWG's loss of fanbase, it had nothing to do with JTL. JTL was the only good addition I can think of that SOE did for that game.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft