Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In love wit this game....

2»

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Originally posted by elderotter

Originally posted by Rednecksith

I just started playing again myself, and am wondering why I ever left. Even on my ancient PC, the game looks and runs fantastically in most situations. The world is one of the most beautiful I've ever seen. One of my most memorable MMORPG moments ever was when, upon reaching the summit of Weathertop, I looked about and found a cairn stone marked with a G rune and 3 slashes, October the 3rd...

It's the little touches like that which make me believe Turbine really does view this IP and world as a labor of love. Really, I just think that anyone who says otherwise has/had unrealistically high expectations.

I can't wait to see how this game looks later this year when I (hopefully) upgrade my PC to one that isn't steam powered.

You guys are making me want to play again.  I have a LOTRO resentment though, not from the game but the guild I was in.  It was all end-game, rush to the raids and if you are a certain class you are only good to do whatever THEY say you can.  Ruined my love of the Captain Class when they regulated me to a secondary healer position, felt like I was in the stands watching the game rather than being in it.   I would probably never play Captain again, and would never let a guild push me to reach the lvl cap for the endgame.  I want to enjoy games in their entirety not just the end.

Don't let others dictate how you live your life. Even if it's obliquely. You give them too much power then.

Find a good guild with good people. They are out there. You just have to change your strategy when looking for them.

Once a person in Warhammer spammed me a guild invite which I declined. He then asked why and I told him that I came from the old Lineage 2 idea that a clan (guild, kin, legion, hootenanny, etc) was about people who had your back and that you trusted implicitly.

He then came back with "it's not a lifestyle choice, it's just a damn guild".

People have different ideas as to what a guild actually is. I have always carried the idea that they were people who I could give my gear to and they would give it back.

I have yet to be dissapointed with my choices in guild because I always took the time out to find good people. If they were not power gamers then that was fine because in the end it was about me having fun.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • elderotterelderotter Member Posts: 651

Originally posted by Sovrath

I just started playing again myself, and am wondering why I ever left. Even on my ancient PC, the game looks and runs fantastically in most situations. The world is one of the most beautiful I've ever seen. One of my most memorable MMORPG moments ever was when, upon reaching the summit of Weathertop, I looked about and found a cairn stone marked with a G rune and 3 slashes, October the 3rd...

It's the little touches like that which make me believe Turbine really does view this IP and world as a labor of love. Really, I just think that anyone who says otherwise has/had unrealistically high expectations.

I can't wait to see how this game looks later this year when I (hopefully) upgrade my PC to one that isn't steam powered.

You guys are making me want to play again.  I have a LOTRO resentment though, not from the game but the guild I was in.  It was all end-game, rush to the raids and if you are a certain class you are only good to do whatever THEY say you can.  Ruined my love of the Captain Class when they regulated me to a secondary healer position, felt like I was in the stands watching the game rather than being in it.   I would probably never play Captain again, and would never let a guild push me to reach the lvl cap for the endgame.  I want to enjoy games in their entirety not just the end.

Don't let others dictate how you live your life. Even if it's obliquely. You give them too much power then.

Find a good guild with good people. They are out there. You just have to change your strategy when looking for them.

Once a person in Warhammer spammed me a guild invite which I declined. He then asked why and I told him that I came from the old Lineage 2 idea that a clan (guild, kin, legion, hootenanny, etc) was about people who had your back and that you trusted implicitly.

He then came back with "it's not a lifestyle choice, it's just a damn guild".

People have different ideas as to what a guild actually is. I have always carried the idea that they were people who I could give my gear to and they would give it back.

I have yet to be dissapointed with my choices in guild because I always took the time out to find good people. If they were not power gamers then that was fine because in the end it was about me having fun.

I agree, and it wasn't the only reason I quit again.  I seem to be able to play the same MMO for a maximum of about 9 months before I get bored and seek another game to play.  Currently I am playing Dragon's Age, maybe when I get bored I will return, or possibly I will decide toreturn tomorrow.  I am back in school at age 58 so I won't have a lot of time for a MMO, which is why I am playing a single player game where I can save and play at my convenience.   You posted some good advice though, thanks.

Originally posted by Bertiaux

If you decide to play again, hook up on Nimrodel. The guild I'm in is great and we are always looking for new members. Most of our members are 45+ in age, so if you are younger, you may find us old ones not much fun to play with. We use Skype instead of in-game voice (less loopback issues) and we do have a tendency to get crude and rude on occasion ;-) My in-game main is Whytwulf. Ping me in-game if interested.

downloading the trial - want to see if I still have interest - don't think I can send yu a tell on the trial though can I?  Know I cannot send mail.

• BertiauxBertiaux Member Posts: 122

If you decide to play again, hook up on Nimrodel. The guild I'm in is great and we are always looking for new members. Most of our members are 45+ in age, so if you are younger, you may find us old ones not much fun to play with. We use Skype instead of in-game voice (less loopback issues) and we do have a tendency to get crude and rude on occasion ;-) My in-game main is Whytwulf. Ping me in-game if interested.

downloading the trial - want to see if I still have interest - don't think I can send yu a tell on the trial though can I?  Know I cannot send mail.

I'm pretty sure you can send tells. I've never heard anyone say it was impossible on trial accounts.

I'm pretty sure you can send tells. I've never heard anyone say it was impossible on trial accounts.

ok, will be looking for you when I go back in game laeter.  I will probably be subbing today.  I have 2 toons -  a RK and a guard started.  My guard is Blackboar.

ok, will be looking for you when I go back in game laeter.  I will probably be subbing today.  I have 2 toons -  a RK and a guard started.  My guard is Blackboar.

Cool. I'll be home from work in about 7 hours image but I'll be online soon after.

Cool. I'll be home from work in about 7 hours image but I'll be online soon after.

so about 9 pm my time I think - I will be on as my RK Ironbreath.  Mt RL friend made a minstrel to go with my fuard, so I am only going to play the guard when he is on.

• NamicaNamica Member Posts: 71

Haven't played much of LotRO, but have played everything else.

PvP, no matter the game, Darkfall, Warhammer, WoW etc... doesn't give you a dangerous feeling, it gives you a hopeless feeling, especcially in Darkfall where gear and skills matter far more than accual skill (no matter what the darkfall fans will tell you, they are full of themselves)

In most other PvP games with world pvp, you don't magically have a chance to beat the guy who is trying to beat you, 9/10, your attacked unawares with your health already low and it's only really fun if A. The guy fighting you is undergeared and you win. B. You get lucky. Or C. Your the guy doing the jump.

It's why I try to shy away from games with PvP, not only is the open pvp a stupid e-peen stroke fest, but even in more organized situations it seldom comes down to how the player plays and more so to what the player is wearing.

I will say that from what I've seen on the forums and what not for LotRO, is that the problem with PvP is about rewards, no one plays it, not beacuse it's bad, but beacuse there is no reason to do it. If Turbine just threw in various useful armor, crafting, and trophy rewards so many more people would play.

That and maybe another PvP area, just split them off by week or month, one is open sometimes, another is open other times.

• rznkainrznkain Member Posts: 539

Originally posted by Ethian

Originally posted by illanadan

It is beautiful and well done. As was mentioned this is a PvE game, no PvP (monster play is more of a mini-game than true PvP). For me this is just fine. There aren't any decent PvP games out there right now as it is. I did get a laugh from the comment about Darkfall looking more like Middle Earth though. +1 for the humor!

Some of the DFO developers are huge tolkien fans and it shows in the world imo. I have plenty of screenshots at home (wish i could post them here) that would put LOTROs elven country to shame. Id love to see AVs attempt at creating Rivendell....I'd bet it would make Turbine's shot at it laughable :-) 

I'm biased though because imo Turbine failed at creating the world I grew up reading about as a kid. I'd love to see another company grab the IP and try their hand at it bsut its not liking anytime soon unfortionately...

i think maybe you and a few others forget the Tolkein Estate has ALOT of say so in how the license they grant are used and in what way they are used. I seem to recall in beta the pvp being brought up and I think the monstor play was the best they could get out of it they get the estate to comprimise in some ways and things but not much they do not want there world and story damaged and rightfully so and tbh I wouldn't wanna see mass hobbit pvp with some moron named Fr0d0l33t ganking newbs outside  the green dragon. Or having Michael Delving turn into the WoW version of Goldshire.

pvp works well for some games and some it don't I think they made the right choice with how they have it.

Originally posted by rznkain

Originally posted by Ethian

Originally posted by illanadan

It is beautiful and well done. As was mentioned this is a PvE game, no PvP (monster play is more of a mini-game than true PvP). For me this is just fine. There aren't any decent PvP games out there right now as it is. I did get a laugh from the comment about Darkfall looking more like Middle Earth though. +1 for the humor!

Some of the DFO developers are huge tolkien fans and it shows in the world imo. I have plenty of screenshots at home (wish i could post them here) that would put LOTROs elven country to shame. Id love to see AVs attempt at creating Rivendell....I'd bet it would make Turbine's shot at it laughable :-) 

I'm biased though because imo Turbine failed at creating the world I grew up reading about as a kid. I'd love to see another company grab the IP and try their hand at it bsut its not liking anytime soon unfortionately...

i think maybe you and a few others forget the Tolkein Estate has ALOT of say so in how the license they grant are used and in what way they are used. I seem to recall in beta the pvp being brought up and I think the monstor play was the best they could get out of it they get the estate to comprimise in some ways and things but not much they do not want there world and story damaged and rightfully so and tbh I wouldn't wanna see mass hobbit pvp with some moron named Fr0d0l33t ganking newbs outside  the green dragon. Or having Michael Delving turn into the WoW version of Goldshire.

pvp works well for some games and some it don't I think they made the right choice with how they have it.

Well, the entire Lord of the Rings story really lends itself to a themepark style with no PvP. Why do I say this? Because if you look at the story, it's about a group of adventurers -- on the side of good -- fighting against an evil force. Not much is known about these evil beings -- even Tolkein himself wrote very little about thair lives in comparison to the "good" races -- so developing a playable evil side would require A LOT of speculation on the part of Turbine and stretch the limits of the original story. Hell, Turbine has already added a few elements outside of the story that IMO ruin the feel of the LOTO mythos. Runekeepers, for instance.

So, having the "monster play" PvP solution makes a lot of sense because you can step out of the story and play something that is quite obviously a side game when you need a break or to get a bit of a PvP fix. Personally, I just go play a game with actual PvP when I need a break.