Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard wants me to support hackers

13»

Comments

• SkiperSkiper Member Posts: 18

Originally posted by iceissocold

I stand by my statement that most people who get hacked deserve it. Some of you seem to think it's everyone deserves it and don't read why I put most.

Everyone can easily get targeted, just google your most common username and you will see how easy it is to get someones info.

Well, I'll restate my statement, NO ONE! deserves to be hacked under any circomstance at all no matter what, period! And your comment does not help you, it actually re-enforces why most do not deserve be hacked, becuase of how easy it is to get ones information.

Most enter the internet for entertainment or to uptain information, one does not, and should not, have to have their attention on avoiding being hacked.

I hate hackers, as they are among the worst cowards. They can do tremendous damage to ppl, be totally hidden and not have to confront those they have hurt.

Skipper

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827

Originally posted by Kremlik

Originally posted by DAHBOO

I believe most people who get their accounts hacked truely deserve it. Blizzard is the only place you can get help so why on earth would you post here EXCEPT to feed trolls to hate WoW?

How do we deserve it?

My account was fine for 4 years until the new battle-net system was forced on us. I did not reply to any e-mails that were sent to me  with fake blizz names so i dont know how they hacked me. My brother got hacked the excact same day has me and we live in diferent city's.  I guess the hacckers were at the letter F for that day of hacking. So dont blame us for getting hacked, it's blizzards fault and the accounts are getting hacked like crazy since the new battle-net system , they Fed up something

It's called easily obtained information, with everyone practically advertising themselfs with facebook, twitter, MSN etc, it's hardly hard to find workarounds with just basic information, and with many many people using the same information for password questions and in fact passwords themselfs, the only real thing you can do is stay one step ahead and make sure nothing is common..

{edited out to repond to new post]

Thats problem most seems to thik where living in a fairytale world and there magically safeguard.

Most who got hacked click on emails links go to facebook twitter and dont realise nasty evil villains are infiltrade there magical fairypc:P

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.

• sultharsulthar Member Posts: 298

BTW, in many cases people realised they got a keylogger by getting some addons from curse.com... wonder why there is so much people getting hacked since curse.com has most of WOW's addon on their site.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by sulthar

BTW, in many cases people realised they got a keylogger by getting some addons from curse.com... wonder why there is so much people getting hacked since curse.com has most of WOW's addon on their site.

You can only get a keylogger from an addon if you run some sort of executable to install it, or from a flash vulnerability through one of the site ads (or potentially the site itself). In other words, don't use the curse download client, ever. Manually download and unzip addons.

• DubhlaithDubhlaith Member Posts: 1,012

Yes, most people who get their accounts hacked deserve it for going to fake sites from fake emails (or even "secret" whispers in-game). It is possible to get hacked via keyloggers that you can get from a number of sites (the sheer volume of players makes hacking accounts big business), but this is still largely the fault of the person that did not have any measure of security.

I am not "blaming the victim," as I have heard people saying about girls that wear attractive clothing being assaulted. But then, there is a difference in my wearing a nice skirt, and someone not understand that they need a firewall or some measure of what goes in or comes out of their machine. A better analogy would be if I wore that nice skirt while walking alone late at night through a bad neighbourhood.

If you are going to be on the Internet, you need to know that there are bad people out there, and you need to protect yourself. If you do not, you should be prepared to accept the consequences.

All that said, Blizzard should not make you pay for time that you were not playing, and were istead in the process of being hacked. I have found that if you call and talk to a live person, you get much, much better, and much, much fast, and much, much more accurate assistance with almost any problem, from almost any company. Muchly.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true — you know it, and they know it." —Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

WTF? No subscription fee?

• orlacorlac Member Posts: 549

My account got hacked but we were able to get that all fixed. Now it seems the hackers paid with a bogus CC and the acount is in the negative and my account has been frozen until i pay for the hackers time. WTF?

Patently ridiculous. Time is paid for up front. Blizzard authenticates credit cards before accepting them. The idea that they want you to pay retroactivley is likely not true.

• FreddyNoNoseFreddyNoNose Member Posts: 1,558

Originally posted by Kordesh

I believe most people who get their accounts hacked truely deserve it. Blizzard is the only place you can get help so why on earth would you post here EXCEPT to feed trolls to hate WoW?

I don't know, maybe because he's upset over how Blizzard is treating him and would like to make their hijinks public knowledge? Additionally, I don't see how anyone deserves having their account hacked. Even if they did something stupid, why is being computer illiterate something that should damn them to misery, identity theft, and account loss? 

Something like this is bullshit. They know the account was hacked, they restored his account, but they expect him to backpay for the fraud caused by the hacker.

Two sides to every story.  In these cases, I distrust people like the OP.  It doesn't help as much as you believe it does and if it is false well then  you are his tool for believing it.

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517

For all those saying that blizzard's security has to be awesome cause they are a big company... Historically their security has been more like swiss cheese. Every game they've had, up to and including WoW, has had severe holes and flaws... both on the account side and the gameplay side...

• magebornmageborn Member Posts: 122

Well i thought id reply, i stopped playing WoW 2 months ago. My wife went to log on my account last night as she needed some titanium i had and it said it needed the authenticator code (i never had one on the account). After checking out my characters on armoury etc all my sellable items are gone so clearly i have been hacked. I have worked in online secuirty in the past so i am very careful with what i do online, i have not visited any wow sites apart from wow heroes and wow official site, i dont open any emails regarding WoW and only my wife of 11 years knows my account details, yet somehow i have been hacked. The funny thing is that my wifes account that has a hell of alot more gold on it than mine has not been touched, so it cant be something on the computer that has allowed them access, have also scanned my computer fully for virus's or malware etc and found nothing. Now im waiting for Bliz to reply but just wanted to say not everyone has done something dodgy when there hacked.

• ArkainArkain Member UncommonPosts: 491

This same type of issue happened to my GF, she got hacked due to her email getting hacked in one of the times a company said that there email got hacked and the hacker got personal info ie the emails of a lot of there clients.

• GigachipGigachip Member UncommonPosts: 35

Originally posted by orlac

My account got hacked but we were able to get that all fixed. Now it seems the hackers paid with a bogus CC and the acount is in the negative and my account has been frozen until i pay for the hackers time. WTF?

Patently ridiculous. Time is paid for up front. Blizzard authenticates credit cards before accepting them. The idea that they want you to pay retroactivley is likely not true.

that happened to my account but case was settled and I can play again if i wanted

• gauge2k3gauge2k3 Member Posts: 442

Your account didn't get hacked, you got keylogged THERE IS A DIFFERENCE!  So you were careless, I can't think of any other place where careless people have to pay for there mistakes.....oh wait.

If you buy a computer TAKE THE FKIN TIME TO LEARN HOW TO USE IT!

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

I like the people who spew off that it cant possibly be Blizzards security in any way shape or form because they are a multi billion dollar company and multi billion dollar companies cant get hacked....

So then how did my account that was inactive for over 6 months, has a different password than everything else (I use a diff pass and on screen keyboard to login to everything) all of a sudden wind up reactivated 6 months later when the game was no longer installed on my computer?

Going back to the multi billion dollar thing...how many multi billion dollar coorperations have been hacked into and had cc numbers/medical files/personal information etc etc stolen. Hell the Pentagon was hacked into by an 18 year old several years ago...I mean come on, dont sound so ignorant as to say it is 100% without a doubt not Blizzards fault.

What I find funny is that both Aion and WoW are getting hacked heavily, both games have online armories that link to players accounts in order to pull player information. While their game servers might be safe, I can gurantee you their website is not 100% safe.

• BaleoutBaleout Member Posts: 141

I got an email today which to me looked like it was from Wow they said my account had been hacked and i been dealing with a well know plat selling site.They wanted my login information.

Well i laughed my ass off because i have never played Wow i play eq2 and have since day 1 .

But i will say they did a good job on the email it looked like it was from Wow.

But having played games long enough to know that they would never ask for that information in an email, i deleted it after replying with a very very nasty email back to the fools.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Originally posted by Xerith

I like the people who spew off that it cant possibly be Blizzards security in any way shape or form because they are a multi billion dollar company and multi billion dollar companies cant get hacked....

So then how did my account that was inactive for over 6 months, has a different password than everything else (I use a diff pass and on screen keyboard to login to everything) all of a sudden wind up reactivated 6 months later when the game was no longer installed on my computer?

Going back to the multi billion dollar thing...how many multi billion dollar coorperations have been hacked into and had cc numbers/medical files/personal information etc etc stolen. Hell the Pentagon was hacked into by an 18 year old several years ago...I mean come on, dont sound so ignorant as to say it is 100% without a doubt not Blizzards fault.

What I find funny is that both Aion and WoW are getting hacked heavily, both games have online armories that link to players accounts in order to pull player information. While their game servers might be safe, I can gurantee you their website is not 100% safe.

Your lack of knowledge about how your account was compromised doesn't mean it was someone elses fault.  It just means you don't know where there security breakdown is. 

Perhaps blizzard and aion are getting hacked, but almost everything suggests that it is a problem with players, which is a fact that can be backed up.  From phishing emails to virus to email account problems there are to many stories of players finding out they were the problem to even begin to count.  For this to be a hacking problem with the game servers password database it would either be A) indentifiable by patterns of hacked accounts or B) such a longterm and ongoing problem that neither company has any idea of network security. 

Why are blizzard and ncsoft being so heavily targetted?  More players play their games, so it is easier to steal accounts and sell the currency.  That is fairly obvious.  No one is going to hack a vanguard account, because there is no market for the currency. 

I don't think anyone is suggesting either company is immune to getting hacked, but rather the people who are making these speculations lack any credible information to back up their accusations.  Saying "I don't understand how my account was hacked" isn't very good evidence.  Nor is "I know my computer couldn't possible get hacked, because I am the interweb wizard of security".  Strangly enough that is the basis for their claim they use about how blizzard/ncsoft are not immune to hacking and it is possibly their fault. 

Lets say I come home and find my house has been burglarized.  I'm certain my alarm was on and the locks were set.  Does that give me just cause to blame the alarm company or manufacuter of the locks for breaking into my house or was it just a clever theif who knows more about household security than I do. 

• magebornmageborn Member Posts: 122

This is the thing that really bugs me, i know they would of had to get my account details from me some how, but i have scanned my pc and have no virus's, trojans etc i dont use the same password and i dont access any sites that could have keyloggers etc (plus id hope all the scans i have done since then would pick them up)

So i am really stumped on how they got my account information.

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

I could go back through the 7 pages of this thread and probably quote an entire page long post from the people stating its the users fault, they werent hacked, were keylogged, need to learn how to use their computer and so on and so forth. While there are some people who are easier targets than others, I still do feel there is a security breakdown somewhere within Blizzard itself.  I dont believe it is lodged within their databases, but I still see the armory as a prime target for intrusion.

The other fact is that people are getting attacked from legit sites now too. Its easy to say oh you were stupid and MUST have clicked on a phishing email, or went to a gold buying site, but as the attack on mmorpg shows, and the recent attack on aionsource, they are hitting legit sites as well, and having anti virus does not mean you are protected.

I work tech support as my student job at my University, and we have also been getting targetted lately with attacks on our site, email and several other rescourses we have. Several people have gotten their information taken, and with the fact we track all usage on our computers, we can see where the people have been and what they were looking at. In almost all cases it was legit sites such as cnn.com, youtube, facebook and so on.

I think people just need to stop with the arogance and instead of yelling at other people to learn how to use the interwebz, need to see that there is a much bigger issue out there.

Originally posted by mageborn

This is the thing that really bugs me, i know they would of had to get my account details from me some how, but i have scanned my pc and have no virus's, trojans etc i dont use the same password and i dont access any sites that could have keyloggers etc (plus id hope all the scans i have done since then would pick them up)

So i am really stumped on how they got my account information.

Perhaps they have access to your email account.  They can reset your password from the blizzard webpage, login to your email account, get the new password, delete the email so you never see a trace of what happened.  Not only that, but they could repeat the process whenever they feel like it.

Originally posted by Xerith

I could go back through the 7 pages of this thread and probably quote an entire page long post from the people stating its the users fault, they werent hacked, were keylogged, need to learn how to use their computer and so on and so forth. While there are some people who are easier targets than others, I still do feel there is a security breakdown somewhere within Blizzard itself.  I dont believe it is lodged within their databases, but I still see the armory as a prime target for intrusion.

The other fact is that people are getting attacked from legit sites now too. Its easy to say oh you were stupid and MUST have clicked on a phishing email, or went to a gold buying site, but as the attack on mmorpg shows, and the recent attack on aionsource, they are hitting legit sites as well, and having anti virus does not mean you are protected.

I work tech support as my student job at my University, and we have also been getting targetted lately with attacks on our site, email and several other rescourses we have. Several people have gotten their information taken, and with the fact we track all usage on our computers, we can see where the people have been and what they were looking at. In almost all cases it was legit sites such as cnn.com, youtube, facebook and so on.

I think people just need to stop with the arogance and instead of yelling at other people to learn how to use the interwebz, need to see that there is a much bigger issue out there.

All very true.  While there are a lot of people who are just plain stupid with how they conduct themselves on the internet and handle their account security, there are now an equal number of clever ways for hackers to get people to give them their information.

There was an add on google paid services the poped up during searches for wow related information.  It looked legit enough and few think about security while surfing google, but there it was.

While facebook, google and cnn themselves are not infected the content they link to can be.  There have been a number of methods to infect youtube videos in the past.

Long story short is that there are so many easy ways to get to peoples information that it makes a direct attack on game servers the most ineffecient use of resources a hacker could possibly spend time on.  

Everywhere you turn around there are masses of people tripping over themselves to expose the account credentials, so I see very little compelling evidence that the cause of the security problems must be a hacked server at blizzard or ncsoft.  The only thing that suggests that are people who think they are in no way responsible (not stupid, but responsible) for their accounts getting compromised and looking for someone else to blame. 

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

Originally posted by Kordesh

I don't know, maybe because he's upset over how Blizzard is treating him and would like to make their hijinks public knowledge? Additionally, I don't see how anyone deserves having their account hacked. Even if they did something stupid, why is being computer illiterate something that should damn them to misery, identity theft, and account loss? 

Something like this is bullshit. They know the account was hacked, they restored his account, but they expect him to backpay for the fraud caused by the hacker.

i have to say, my account got hacked and i needed to push the support on and on phoncalls to usa and europe end and it taked one month until one dude from support contacted straight to my server gamemasters to fix it.

they also first restored my account without any itmes and guild gone since i was the guildleader. then they froze means ban the account cause it was sold on ebay during the time i wasnt able to control it.

edit : it also was keylogger program on my computer it came from some addon or whatever. but i wasnt fast enough to remove it and we are talking about like few days time.