Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else intreagued by this game but wary about it because of what happened with Age of Conan

First let me say I enjoy Age of Conan as it is now . When i can get a cheap time card on ebay I play for a couple of months now and then . But i remember what it was like upon launch . This worries me a little because although I like the look of the Secret World and think it could be the most original mmo in a while , I've been burnt by Funcom before . I hope this does turn out to be a great game but I think I will be one of those adopting the wait and see approach this time around . Anyone else feel the same way out there ?

Comments

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762

No, not as worried at all. Simply because the guy who was in charge of AoC pre-launch is no longer at the company. The bloke who is in charge now has seen to it that AoC got the attention it needed and has turned it into a good game. I can only assume that this same attention to quality is being applied to Secret World. It's a dream I have.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Maybe a bit wary.

But I agree with Puuk, the management is different now, and hopefully they've learnt that releasing too early may be the difference of 100,000s of subs that leave or stay. Plus Tornquist (Dreamfall, Longest Journey) is game director, so I think that stortelling and atmosphere will not be forgotten.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• TSWBETAROGSTSWBETAROGS Member Posts: 196

There is an whol different team sow I am not worried at al. The gamedirector(knbown for dream fall....) and some of the team has been working on it for ower 7 years sow there is not mutch in the content thats the same in the games. The pluss for TSW is that the Game coremotor/working tools(makinging items) was developet on the AoC budget. The size of the budget on AoC is the same as TSW sow there will be alot more quests/playfields in TSW and a lot fewer bugs becouse of this.

• CultOfXtcCultOfXtc Member Posts: 378

Originally posted by cyphers

Maybe a bit wary.

But I agree with Puuk, the management is different now, and hopefully they've learnt that releasing too early may be the difference of 100,000s of subs that leave or stay. Plus Tornquist (Dreamfall, Longest Journey) is game director, so I think that stortelling and atmosphere will not be forgotten.

AoC have a cracking team behind them now.  Please don't steal them to TSW from AoC.... :)

AoC is on the rise. :)

THE SECRET WORLD - PAY ONCE PLAY FOREVER - Give it a go!

http://www.thesecretworld.com/buy/

OR PM ME FOR A BUDDY KEY (need your email address).

• spector75spector75 Member UncommonPosts: 168

Last time a thread like this popped up it was "aren't you wary about AoC because of what happened to AO"... Fact is, even with a different dev team, and different management the games both released as flaming piles of crap. I had a lot of hopes for both and both were huge let downs for a long time after release. It would almost be a good idea to be wary about another release by Funcom, they don't seem to learn from there mistakes at all. 

• zinkerzzinkerz Member UncommonPosts: 174

Yes I think funcom has learned there lesson.

• ironhelixironhelix Member Posts: 448

I like the idea, but the recent game footage shown looks TERRIBLE to me. It looks very similar to AoC, and not many people like AoC.

Just sayin'.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507

No, it will go through a beta cycle and we'll know well in advance if the game is good or not. 

If the early reports don't look good, don't buy it.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• maimeekraimaimeekrai Member UncommonPosts: 256

Wary? To be wary is to be alert because you never know what to expect.

Sadly, I think we have a good idea what to expect.

So, no problem if it comes out better than expected! image

------- END TRANSMISSION

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

Funcom is not very good at launches. Maybe they have learned from their last two attempts, but I honestly wouldn't expect this launch to be any smoother than the last. However, Funcom has shown that they can dramatically improve their games after the fact.

Consequently, I will definitely be playing The Secret World, but it is likely I will skip the launch period and wait a few months this time before trying it...

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622

With all thats been said, Funcom BETTER release a polished game with this title. If gamers give them a second chance and they fail to deliver, I doubt anyone will ever buy another product from them again.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Originally posted by monarc333

With all thats been said, Funcom BETTER release a polished game with this title. If gamers give them a second chance and they fail to deliver, I doubt anyone will ever buy another product from them again.

Third Chance...people conveniently forget the Anarchy Online launch debacle.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by Drakynn

I haven't :)  

This is true, I don't think funcom has released a game thats launched flawlessly, ever.  I'm not going to call them inept, because I doubt I could do any better, but I will say that I  am watching this game closely.  I do not have much faith in funcom to release this game in a successful, appealing-long-term, state.  I would be pleasantly surprised if they prove me wrong though.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181

Originally posted by maskedweasel

This is true, I don't think funcom has released a game thats launched flawlessly, ever.  I'm not going to call them inept, because I doubt I could do any better, but I will say that I  am watching this game closely.  I do not have much faith in funcom to release this game in a successful, appealing-long-term, state.  I would be pleasantly surprised if they prove me wrong though.

Name one MMO that did launch flawlessly...

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

I don't see The Secret World being a polished game at launch, but I think that AoC suffered many issues that were simply bad design decisions that simply won't manifest themselves in TSW.

• AercusAercus Member UncommonPosts: 775

Originally posted by skeaser

Exactly. I can guarantee you the game will be launched with bugs, content gaps, hacks, cheats, and everything else under the moon. Then it will be patched, fixed, content added for several years after. You know. Just like all other MMO's ever released :)

If you can't take it I suggest chess. It's been debugged for a couple millenias.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181

Originally posted by Aercus

Exactly. I can guarantee you the game will be launched with bugs, content gaps, hacks, cheats, and everything else under the moon. Then it will be patched, fixed, content added for several years after. You know. Just like all other MMO's ever released :)

If you can't take it I suggest chess. It's been debugged for a couple millenias.

Still no fix for that 4 move checkmate exploit...

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• pye088jpye088j Member Posts: 228

Kind of gotten used to major issues at launch. It´s more or less the standard in the industry these days. But with that said I will probably join TSW at release mainly because I trust Funcoms commitment and they actually improve their games a whole lot pretty early after launches.

Wary? No not really I pretty much know how it´s going to be like and if it turns out to be better? I won´t complain ;)

All statements I make is from my point of view unless stated otherwise.

• LazerouLazerou Member Posts: 202

Not worried. Different dev team, around 2 years until release, very little early hype from devs, using the same engine.

I expect bugs and glitches, maybe a crash or two but I don't expect large swathes of content missing or horribly broken mechanics. Someone has to break the trend of releasing games 12 months early. I am hoping both Funcom and Bioware manage it, but TSW will be the game for me.

But maybe that is just because I want it to succeed so bad image

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

I am greatly looking forward to TSW, but no I am not now, nor have I ever been wary of Funcom... I personally have had nothing but good experiences with them.

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Lord of the Rings Online.

Do you want me to name more?

• DarrensulDarrensul Member UncommonPosts: 7

I understand your point but how many games out of, say, the last 10 or even 20 p2p games were launched flawlessly?

Pretty much every game had a number of minor or major (depending on whitch people you listened to) faults to it. Too many/not enough servers, not enough/too much pvp, too many instances/ lagging in open world, you'll always get a very vocal crowd screaming for or against the topic de jour.

Like you, I've been watching this game and (probably) like you I'm hoping that they pull it off. The ARG's they've had running in the build up have been very interesting and what they've shown so far (Alpha footage) keeps me hopeful.

Obviously I'm going to keep an ear and eye out on the beta/advertisement phase of the game and will base my buying decision based on that and on the (hopefully sooner rather than never) open beta test.

DarrenSul

• EmlochEmloch Member Posts: 51

There's no such thing as a flawless launch. Such a thing would constitute that no adjustments need be made. However, LOTRO was a very good launch. Other companies should take note of Turbine and their accomplishment.

Funcom, despite their launch track record, does have the ability to release quality titles. Look at AoC now. I have a feeling that they'll get it right this time around. I think they realize how original this title is; and if done correctly, they will have a huge hit on their hands.

• movindudemovindude Member UncommonPosts: 127

Lineage 2 was flawless also but thats probably becuase NA gets the eastern games a year later.  Not sure if that's changed with the new technology.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Two failed launches " Let the Buyer Beware " you have been warned !

" Charlie Mike "

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA