Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA to close down WAR

Capn23Capn23 Member Posts: 1,529

In a statement made by EA's CEO John Riccitiello earlier this morning, it has been announced that Mythic's Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning will be closing its doors on July 19, 2010. Riccitiello stated "We [Electronic Arts] simply are not making the profits from the game in order to support it. As we are tightening our belts in the wake of this recession and gearing up for more prominent game releases, we need to cut our losses, especially those which are a significant burden on our profits."

Since the release of WAR in September of 2008, it has seen a decline in monthly subscriptions from its height of 800,000 subscription. Riccitiello declined to comment on the game's currect sub numbers and the possibility of another company acquiring the IP and game itself.

See the entire article at Massively.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guys! I'm hopelessly lost in a mountain of mole hills! Them damn moles!

Comments

• bill4747bill4747 Member Posts: 202

I sure did not see this coming!  Quite the shocker.

• SteamRangerSteamRanger Member UncommonPosts: 920

I hate April 1st.

"Soloists and those who prefer small groups should never have to feel like they''re the ones getting the proverbial table scraps, as it were." - Scott Hartsman, Senior Producer, Everquest II
    "People love groups. Its a fallacy that people want to play solo all the time." - Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer, Rift

• VormirVormir Member UncommonPosts: 135

Originally posted by Capn23

In a statement made by EA's CEO John Riccitiello earlier this morning, it has been announced that Mythic's Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning will be closing its doors on July 19, 2010. Riccitiello stated "We [Electronic Arts] simply are not making the profits from the game in order to support it. As we are tightening our belts in the wake of this recession and gearing up for more prominent game releases, we need to cut our losses, especially those which are a significant burden on our profits."

Since the release of WAR in September of 2008, it has seen a decline in monthly subscriptions from its height of 800,000 subscription. Riccitiello declined to comment on the game's currect sub numbers and the possibility of another company acquiring the IP and game itself.

See the entire article at Massively.com

This has "April's Fools" written all over it.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Nice try.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074

bleh

• scorpio0679scorpio0679 Member Posts: 22

Warhammer Online.  Wow, I am actually saddened a little by this turn of events.  I played this game for several months, and believed it had a lot of potential.  Unfortunately, it appeared that its launch was critically flawed and I believe that it was released with too little content.

So much potential.  Oh well, file this one in the stack with Shadowbane and others that had potential but ultimately fizzled.

s

EDIT: this isn't the type of thing that people "April Fool's" about!  If so, I WAS HAD.  But, I doubt it . . . I saw this coming!

Originally posted by scorpio0679

Warhammer Online.  Wow, I am actually saddened a little by this turn of events.  I played this game for several months, and believed it had a lot of potential.  Unfortunately, it appeared that its launch was critically flawed and I believe that it was released with too little content.

So much potential.  Oh well, file this one in the stack with Shadowbane and others that had potential but ultimately fizzled.

s

I gather you forgot today's date.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550

April Fool's or not, I do not see good things in the cards for WAR.

• PranksterPrankster Member UncommonPosts: 163

I played this for 4 months from release.

This is what happens when a company releases semi-finished material. even if the content is good it cant withstand the market pressures of fully devleloped titles. Had they gone another year in development rather then reacting to publisher pressure it may have made all of the difference in the wrld.

I'm sorry it failed. But I'm glad that it failed if it causes one development group to reasses the idea of putting out less then steller work.

Refugee from UO,EQ,AC,AC2,AO,DAOC,L2,SB,HZ,CoH,PT,EQ2,WoW,VG,SWG,EVE,WAR,DF,MO,AI,GA,LOTRO, SWTOR... Gw2 on Deck

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Did anyone even bother to mouse over the link?

I can't believe anyone is taking this seriously, especially on today of all days, and the evidence that it is a prank is right there out in the open for all to see.

Well played OP, you certainly caught a few suckers with this one.

Originally posted by pencilrick

April Fool's or not, I do not see good things in the cards for WAR.

That's why it was a very good fake. It is totally believable.

• arcdevilarcdevil Member Posts: 864

April fool's pranks should be funny and slightly shocking. an announcement such as the one the OP posted would be totally understandable and less than surprising.....

Originally posted by Kost

Yup.

I can't believe anyone is taking this seriously, especially on today of all days, and the evidence that it is a prank is right there out on the open for all to see.

WIthout the date issue, I would have NO trouble believing this was a true story.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Originally posted by zelyst

I am gonna think of this thread when it closes down for real. On that day I will feel for Paul Barnett.

Save your tender feelings for someone deserving.

He doesn't give a damn - never did. He's just another Billy Mays (except he's alive).

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Yup.

I can't believe anyone is taking this seriously, especially on today of all days, and the evidence that it is a prank is right there out on the open for all to see.

WIthout the date issue, I would have NO trouble believing this was a true story.

Not sure why you are responding to me specifically, when my post was quite clearly aimed at the posters who actually considered this to be legitimate.

Unless you fall into that category, which it seems you do not, then my post has no relevance to you at all.

• bill4747bill4747 Member Posts: 202

So who is that terribly sexy-voiced man?

Must be the interim lead game developer for Warhammer Online during shut-down procedures.

Not sure why you are responding to me specifically, when my post was quite clearly aimed at the posters who actually considered this to be legitimate.

Unless you fall into that category, which it seems you do not, then my post has no relevance to you at all.

You implied that no one would believe it, and I disagreed with you.

Not sure why you took it personally. I didn't insult you.

• PraorPraor Member Posts: 519

aww man, thats messed up. I got Rick rolled    =(

Waiting on Guild Wars 2

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

You implied that no one would believe it, and I disagreed with you.

Not sure why you took it personally. I didn't insult you.

Actually I didn't imply any such thing, it seems you just had trouble grasping the context in which my statement was intended, no hard feelings.

I did, however, imply that anyone who was taking this seriously might wish to take the time to check out the link or at least mouse over it. I also inferred that being as it was April Fools day I was surprised anyone would consider this to be legitimate at all (the fact that this could very well be legit on any other day of the year, other than today, has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion taking place).

I didn't take it personally, although you did single my comments out as if they were somehow relevant to you in particular. I also didn't claim you had insulted me in any way.

Stop reading so much into such a simple statement.

• Capn23Capn23 Member Posts: 1,529

Ladies! I will not have your srsfase conversation ruining my april fools joke!

Just go enjoy that "terribly sexy-voiced man" and drink some of my delicious purple koolaid.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Guys! I'm hopelessly lost in a mountain of mole hills! Them damn moles!

• maniacfoxmaniacfox Member UncommonPosts: 171

It's a sad indictment of WAR that someone posts a fake announcement that is closing and people believe it.

• maimeekraimaimeekrai Member UncommonPosts: 256

Originally posted by scorpio0679

EDIT: this isn't the type of thing that people "April Fool's" about!  If so, I WAS HAD.  But, I doubt it . . . I saw this coming!

Yep, some things are so close to being true it's hard to convey them as just a joke...

------- END TRANSMISSION

• ShiymmasShiymmas Member UncommonPosts: 587

Originally posted by Capn23

Ladies! I will not have your srsfase conversation ruining my april fools joke!

Just go enjoy that "terribly sexy-voiced man" and drink some of my delicious purple koolaid.

Yeah, I'm thinking someone got pranked out of their morning coffee or something.  Definitely need to chill out.

Nice one though, Cap... bringin back the rickroll ftw!

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
    George Bernard Shaw

“What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.”
    Oscar Wilde

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Good one OP.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

This discussion has been closed.