Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I would re-sub today if....

13»

Comments

• CrosswireCrosswire Member UncommonPosts: 264

That's the word I was looking for to discribe the way the hair looks in LOTRO.  "CLAY"

• BertiauxBertiaux Member Posts: 122

Originally posted by IAmMMO

I'd re-sub if they take hobbits out, I hate hobbits! I hate their lore, their look, I hate everything about them to the point they give me a bloody headache

Please tell me you're joking...

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Originally posted by Crosswire

That's the word I was looking for to discribe the way the hair looks in LOTRO.  "CLAY"

Yeah, I know it seems nit picky and maybe it is. Obviously the game has an incredibly beautiful world and for some tastes has great game play (for the most part I can include myself in this group). I like the game a lot though I do have my critcisms.

However, as I also love aesthetics it sometimes is hard to accept the art design of the avatars or gear.

As far as hair goes, people can decide for themselves. I realize many won't care and of course that is fine.

These are some of the worst examples. The first one is actually a nice design from the front but it's always like that from the back

and that looks a bit odd to my tastes. It's like a permanent "split" that never moves.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

you can sit here and nitpick all games, they all have their good and bad points.

I enjoy LoTRO because of the huge variety of things to do ingame and ways of playing and the community.

AoC is a pretty game, but afer two or three days the graphics get old and the repetitive paint by numbers combat with claustrophobic zones bores me to tears. I am a explorer by nature and AoC just felt likea oversize outdoor dungeon. BTW I hate leveling in Moria of the same claustrophobic feeling.

My perfect MMO would be the Turbine devs using LoTRO's overall game design, class design, combat and community with Vanguards huge seamless world, using AoC's character design and animations, having DAoC's realm style PvP, and to top it off SWG's housing and crafting. Now that would be a great game.

But until then LoTRO's game design, community and Turbines service is enough to keep me playing LoTRO till that perfect game is released.

I miss DAoC

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Originally posted by Jackdog

you can sit here and nitpick all games, they all have their good and bad points.

I enjoy LoTRO because of the huge variety of things to do ingame and ways of playing and the community.

AoC is a pretty game, but afer two or three days the graphics get old and the repetitive paint by numbers combat with claustrophobic zones bores me to tears. I am a explorer by nature and AoC just felt likea oversize outdoor dungeon. BTW I hate leveling in Moria of the same claustrophobic feeling.

My perfect MMO would be the Turbine devs using LoTRO's overall game design, class design, combat and community with Vanguards huge seamless world, using AoC's character design and animations, having DAoC's realm style PvP, and to top it off SWG's housing and crafting. Now that would be a great game.

But until then LoTRO's game design, community and Turbines service is enough to keep me playing LoTRO till that perfect game is released.

hmmmm that actually would be close to my perfect game as well.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • chriselchrisel Member UncommonPosts: 990

Originally posted by SgtFrog

I would re-sub today if they fixed the horrible character animation and done something with the stupid hair styles.  Honestly the way it is now is disgusting.

what is horrible about the animation?

Have you ever seen how the Human females walk??

Jeez, I can't use explicit language here, but when they walk, it looks like they have been doing something really nasty...

Make us care MORE about our faction & world pvp!

• DecemvirusDecemvirus Member Posts: 52

Originally posted by chrisel

I would re-sub today if they fixed the horrible character animation and done something with the stupid hair styles.  Honestly the way it is now is disgusting.

Have you ever seen how the Human females walk??

Jeez, I can't use explicit language here, but when they walk, it looks like they have been doing something really nasty...

haha I wonder what have you been doing when you're still waiting for your group to form for a raid or something lmao...

"You know, this place makes me wonder. Which would be worse, to live as a monster or to die as a good man?"

• NovaKayneNovaKayne Member Posts: 743

If they gave everyone lasers and attacked the Death Star!  pew pew!

Say hello, To the things you've left behind. They are more a part of your life now that you can't touch them.

• levsixlevsix Member UncommonPosts: 363

I've been playing LOTRO off and on since the first closed beta. I agree completely that the avatars/animations are garbage. The avatars do not even look like they belong in the world. There's a huge design detachment between the two.

The hairstyles are ridiculous, the facial hair looks pasted on. The shapes of the bodies are atrocious. The dwarves look like midget Liberaces and the elves are always leaning back...never mind the tranny male elves. The hobbits look like demented little monsters, like the Children of the Corn on doughnuts. Humans have bizarre torsos and legs that make them look like claymation figures. There's no definition whatsoever in their bodies, they are just retarded Gumby-looking goofs.

That aside, I am a subscriber anyway. Hahah.  I am having a good time with it still. I always find myself coming back to LOTRO. For those of you who have not played recently,  there are a lot more options regarding how to level now. If you mix it all up, it is really pretty fun, especially if you run in groups. I solo a lot but grouping  can be a ton of fun. I mix it up so I don't get bored. For example, I'll do a little work on a virtue, run a skirmish, pvmp, do a book or a quest chain, do a daily, etc. 

If you're wondering where the game is at now and used to subscribe, just get a trial and mess around with it for a few days.

Have a winner!

Have a winner and don't go on a game over! Does your avatar make you powerful in real life? Check out the Mystical Enders gaming community. www.mysticalenders.com

• CrosswireCrosswire Member UncommonPosts: 264

Well, I have been playing for near 2 weeks now and can only say that the game is brilliant, it just gets better and better.  This is not to say that the animation and hairstyles have improved, they haven't, the developers need to address this ASAP if they want to pull in more subscribers.

The first thing you come across when you are a first time player is the character maker, this is enough reason for a lot of people to go no further and to dismiss the game as rubbish.

• DrSpankyDrSpanky Member Posts: 341

I agree. This is one of the most-heard gripes about the game, but I never understood it. Yeah sure, the animations aren't gonna win any awards, but I don't think they are horrible (and certianly not enough for me to quit playing).

It's a proven historical fact that beer saved humankind.

• DelCabonDelCabon Member UncommonPosts: 258

Originally posted by Jackdog

These are my exact sentiments. I left the game for about year until the release of Mirkwood and am amazed at how much content and diversity has been added.  They also made improvements to skill response times and combat animations that are now almost seamless.

For me, content always trumps graphics unless they are so dated and blocky as to be counter-immersive. 

Every game has its weaknesses and no game meets the narrow whims of every gamer. Lotro is a very solid quality title on most accounts offering relatively bug-free play, a huge amount of gaming diversity (even at high levels), a mature community, constantly evolving content, an immersive story-line, a strong population base and beautifully rendered environments among other things. 

I personally enjoy the character animations now that I finally purchased a rig that can employ the higher settings.

Its too bad the op's opinion has become another outlet for subjective negativity and game bashing that in many cases is either partially or wholly innaccurate. Lotro is a hugely successful game for many valid reasons and anyone looking for a quality pve title should experience it for themselves and come to their own conclusions.

Del Cabon
    A US Army ('Just Cause') Vet and MMORPG Native formerly of Trinsic, Norath and Dereth. Currently playing LOTRO.