Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Intel+Nvidia V AMD+ati

krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589

Just did the Steam hardware survey and was very suprised by the results, bearing in mind they take a snapshot of your hardware, so accurate information gathering.

Nvidia was 63% Ati was 30%

Intel was 67% AMD was 33%

I,m not overly suprised by the CPU results but was very suprised at GPU share of Nvidia to Ati, thought it would of been more even with possible leaning to ATI.

I,m going to be taking some sites ATI versus Nvidia rants and market share discussion with a big grain of salt now, however I do agree with the general concenus to leave Nvidia's new card alone for 6 months, just as a precaution to see how the dust settles, ie first generation cards power/heat beasts and drivers to settle down.

But those figures i,ve seen sure look good, shame the price has buck teeth and freckles.

Comments

• MazinMazin Member Posts: 640

The main reason is because most people buy their computers from Dell or retail stores, which uses Intel and Nvidia for the most part.

I would love to see the results for individuals who build their own computers.

• pyrofreakpyrofreak Member UncommonPosts: 1,481

Intel + ATI here.

Now with 57.3% more flames!

• cl0vercl0ver Member Posts: 122

amd + nvidia

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

Yup, OEM (Dell/HP) parts, and it takes a long long time for old parts to filter out so even if ATI has improved its market share in current generation it won't reflect much in the Steam charts that still have people rolling with Geforce 5300GT and such.

If you look at just the growth this month, the 5670 and 5650 alone outpaced all of Nvidia's growth combined.

• krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589

Originally posted by Mazin

The main reason is because most people buy their computers from Dell or retail stores, which uses Intel and Nvidia for the most part.

I would love to see the results for individuals who build their own computers.

I quite agree, I would like to see that to, but it would have to be like the steam hardware gathering survey, as a survey is brillant at bringing out the bullshit in folks.

I,m in no camp, ive always bought what I thought was best at the time of the build after 2 weeks of research and compare, I set a time limit for the research other wise I tend to always be waiting for something.

This time around I went Intel and Nvidia, 2nd comp is coming up on its 3 year tax life, so new tax year see,s me building a replacement, and its looking Intel+Ati, if built in June. If I hold till December see if second release of the Nvidia fare is going.

But either will do the job, chasing that 10 to 20% more gets a bit pointless after a point  GPU wise. The cards are as a whole far out pacing software, look at the snail like growth of dx11 and the still birth that was dx10.

• cl0vercl0ver Member Posts: 122

Well, Im at a point where my current card can do everything i need.    The only thing getting me excited about a new build is Dx11.

I think once Nvidia fleshes out there dx11 line, you will begin to see the true profits of this year.     When that happens I may break my rule and buy intel i5 or something.

The only thing I really care about on the board is its ram speed.... i will be buying ddr3 for my intel cpu.  The other important feature is the size of it.  Can I hook up all my pci slots?   Does this thing have enough space for 2 cards, 3 hard drives, 2 burners, sound card, tv tuner, wireless card, extra usb card, extra sata card.

• pythipythi Member UncommonPosts: 63

I currently use a DFI board, with an Intel Quad, and ATI 4800 series. I have used both AMD/Intel, and Nvidia/ATI. I would have to say that ATI cards are wonderful my 4870 can run any game I have seen at max or near max settings. The only problem is the games either do not support ATI cards properly or the drivers have issues. There has been a problem with Nvidia frying the cards do to faulty drivers, never seen anything like that with ATI however the ATI drivers are garbage for the games I like to play. I will now always use Nvidia cards for that reason, if the cards are evenly priced with about the same preformance Nvidia hands down.

Exocide

• 2slow4flo2slow4flo Member Posts: 30
    Amd/Ati here, used Intel/Nvidia before.

If you decide to get a new rig you have to think about what you need it for and how much money you got.
    The best performance per money for gaming is offered by Amd (Phenom II x4 945 or 965 for overclockers) and Ati's DX11 gpus.
    Intel and Nvidia are for neat features like Cuda/PhysX/Tesselation or for using the adoba media suite. Other than that you should stick to Amd/Ati.
  • DoushiDoushi Member UncommonPosts: 96

AMD+ATi here

mmorpg.com, the 4chan of mmo forums.

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

new games require driver updates, and we all know how ati puts out a new driver less often a lawyer tells a truth.

hardware wise both sides have always had their good and bad, but nvidia wins in driver updates hands down.

intel is the standard for cpus, ati is the tag along kid that rarely beats them in innovation and lets face it, never beats them in cost to performance ratios.

Originally posted by neorandom

new games require driver updates, and we all know how ati puts out a new driver less often a lawyer tells a truth.
    hardware wise both sides have always had their good and bad, but nvidia wins in driver updates hands down.
    intel is the standard for cpus, ati is the tag along kid that rarely beats them in innovation and lets face it, never beats them in cost to performance ratios.

Cpu wise you are wrong. Amd is MUCH cheaper! A good Am3 board costs 75€ thats half of what you pay for an intel board for lga 13xx and the cpu is much cheaper and offers the same fps as a core i7 for gaming.
  • dfandfan Member Posts: 362

Originally posted by 2slow4flo

Cpu wise you are wrong. Amd is MUCH cheaper! A good Am3 board costs 75€ thats half of what you pay for an intel board for lga 13xx and the cpu is much cheaper and offers the same fps as a core i7 for gaming.

Bullcrap.

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666

Nvidia and Intel, for sure. Better support, and when you buy something of them, you know you will use it for a few years.

• PedrobPedrob Member UncommonPosts: 172

AMD+ATI here

• Moya.baMoya.ba Member Posts: 48

Intel+ATI

I think it is useless discussing who is better...it's a tough competition and sometimes intel got better cpu's sometimes AMD(ati/nvidia). Changes with every new cpu/gpu they develop. It's just a question of how much you want to spend on your computer.I just decide on how much i want to spend for a part and look up who offers the best card for price x.

Sorry for my english ;)

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

Like AMD.  Like Intel.  Like Nvidia.  Sorry no ATI cards for me.  They may be the fastest cards, but doesn't mean much.  When faced with hit or miss drivers from them.  Sure Nvidia has slacked off lately.  Yet they still remain rock solid in the driver department (minus that mishap with those drivers about a month or so ago).  You'll almost always find most complaints with a game involving graphics or lock ups from graphic card, to be ATI owners.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

Originally posted by Roin

Like AMD.  Like Intel.  Like Nvidia.  Sorry no ATI cards for me.  They may be the fastest cards, but doesn't mean much.  When faced with hit or miss drivers from them.  Sure Nvidia has slacked off lately.  Yet they still remain rock solid in the driver department (minus that mishap with those drivers about a month or so ago).  You'll almost always find most complaints with a game involving graphics or lock ups from graphic card, to be ATI owners.

Nvidia drivers have been pile of garbage since Vista came out. Currently ati has at least as good drivers as nvidia does.

Originally posted by dfan

Bullcrap.

Check this:
    http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/prozessoren/2009/test_prozessoren_2009/27/#abschnitt_preisleistungsrating
    2nd chart shows performance per money rating.

Bullcrap.

Check this: http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/prozessoren/2009/test_prozessoren_2009/27/#abschnitt_preisleistungsrating 2nd chart shows performance per money rating.

The chart describes €/performance rating, which has nothing to do with the part I quoted.

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

Originally posted by Roin

Nvidia drivers have been pile of garbage since Vista came out. Currently ati has at least as good drivers as nvidia does.

This is the truth. I bought a Radeon 3870 around when Vista came out, first ATI that I personally owned since my friends and I had stopped using them after the shitty drivers in the early days. I have had 0 driver issues with Radeons since and I'm on a 5770 now. Even my die hard Nv buddy bought a 4890 because the price/perf was too hard to pass up and he's had no driver issues.

It's just a myth these days that sounds good to justify Nvidia's high prices but it holds little truth. Ever since Vista+AMD buyout, the drivers have been fine and are on a monthly update basis.