Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

All Points Bulletin: Dave Jones Interview

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Recently, enigmatice MMORPG.com writer Allen Smithee brought us a report from a demo given at the recent Game Developers Conference of the upcoming MMORPG, All Points Bulletin. Today, he brings us the resulting interview with Realtime Worlds' Dave Jones.

MMORPG.com:

Now that you guys are talking, what information do you really want to share about the game?

Dave Jones:

We kind of went dark, but I think everything we show from now on is absolutely in the game. The trouble with APB is that it is a real player's game. It's a bit like Crackdown. And how do you explain Crackdown without playing it? It's such a tactile game. It's extremely tactile, so it's hard to get players excited about it by talking about it. That was one of the reasons we went dark. There are a ton of things we absolutely love about it. I think one of the things really is that games suffer from repetition. So, because we built APB around the fact that you are always interacting with real people, I can play APB for several hours and never feel like there is repetition. Because it's people, they have emotion. They're yelling and screaming. You never know who you are up against. Compare that to any game where you are fighting AI, and that one element is what makes the whole game playable for a long time.

Read the Dave Jones Interview.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262

No matter what anyone says about this game being an MMO, or online game or whatever,

This game looks great! Defiently going to be an amazing experiance come launch. Glad to hear theres no Monthly Fee and no traditonal Micro Transactions either.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Originally posted by jiveturkey12

No matter what anyone says about this game being an MMO, or online game or whatever,

This game looks great! Defiently going to be an amazing experiance come launch. Glad to hear theres no Monthly Fee and no traditonal Micro Transactions either.

As far as I know they never said there wasn't going to be a monthly or micro-transaction option. They said their payment method was going to be unique. But they haven't said whether or not any specific payment methods will or will not be available. Or did I miss something?

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• DreathorDreathor Member Posts: 537

Originally posted by Palebane

As far as I know they never said there wasn't going to be a monthly or micro-transaction option. They said their payment method was going to be unique. But they haven't said whether or not any specific payment methods will or will not be available. Or did I miss something?

Yeah - they've said something along the lines of;

"We think we have something unique to which *everyone* can say 'that sounds fine for me to play with'"

(there's a post about it on here somewhere but I can't find it)

My best guess is a base game purchase with "item shop cash" to spend on extra customization stuff, it just makes sense since there's SO much potential with it already... I wish I could say more, damn NDA.

"If all you can say is... "It's awful, it's not innovative, it's ugly, it's blah.." Then you're an unimaginative and unpolished excuse for human life" -eburn

• disownationdisownation Member UncommonPosts: 243

Quoted directly from APB's FAQ:

11. How much will APB cost?

The game will be available as a full-price PC title. We'll offer you flexibility on ongoing costs to guarantee great value - APB won't require a subscription commitment, nor will it rely on traditional micro-transaction offerings.

• SlineerSlineer Member Posts: 246

Quote from the official FAQ is:

"The game will be available as a full-price PC title. We'll offer you flexibility on ongoing costs to guarantee great value - APB won't require a subscription commitment, nor will it rely on traditional micro-transaction offerings."

So one can assume by 'flexibility' they will have multiple forms of payment avialiable, whether that just means different types of creditcards/paypal/game card etc or extends into what is actually avialiable to purchase is just a guess at this point. To me though, it sounds like they might give you the option to pay a monthly fee, sort of like an all inclusive thing; or an off the cart type deal where you only buy the content you want.

I also know they will have billboards purchaseable on the auction house so you can display guild recruitment or advertise your brand of fashion or w/e. I think it would be great if they offered some of those for real cash to outside advertisers. Hey, it fits the theme of the game and if advertisers help pay for the game so we dont have to, thats great!

• disownationdisownation Member UncommonPosts: 243

Originally posted by Dreathor

Yeah - they've said something along the lines of;

"We think we have something unique to which *everyone* can say 'that sounds fine for me to play with'"

(there's a post about it on here somewhere but I can't find it)

My best guess is a base game purchase with "item shop cash" to spend on extra customization stuff, it just makes sense since there's SO much potential with it already... I wish I could say more, damn NDA.

Dreathor,

I think you are absolutly correct. NDA prohibits me from elaborating anything more also.

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

I think it's great that APB won't have subscriptions and the graphics are amazing. BUT, being so close to release it bothers me that the level system and any sign of an in-game economy is still pretty vague. Also having only two factions has proven throughout mmo history to be not be as efficient or as popular as having more than two factions. NCsoft can create great "eye-candy" IP's too, but they still end up hollow with no content in the end. I hope that won't be the case with APB.

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

man this game sounds better and better. game of the decade right here

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by Czanrei
    Also having only two factions has proven throughout mmo history to be not be as efficient or as popular as having more than two factions.

I hadn't really thought about in terms of APB, but a third faction would be pretty cool. Something like vigilantes, that would position them squarely between the cops and the criminals.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

I love everything I've read about APB over the years, except the damned cops-and-robbers theme. Argh!

I don't think I've ever loved a game's systems and yet hated its setting. Definitely a first.

Still wondering how to deal with it. I do hope there's either an open beta or an early trial.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • anjealous82anjealous82 Member UncommonPosts: 123

I think it's great that APB won't have subscriptions and the graphics are amazing. BUT, being so close to release it bothers me that the level system and any sign of an in-game economy is still pretty vague. Also having only two factions has proven throughout mmo history to be not be as efficient or as popular as having more than two factions. NCsoft can create great "eye-candy" IP's too, but they still end up hollow with no content in the end. I hope that won't be the case with APB.

Ugh! What the fuck is up with people and in-game economy. Is everyone that hard up on robbing other people for money in game. Or is that everyone feels this is the closest thing to be a rich person with a lot of cash, while others have little to none. Im cool with the level up system, but when it comes to an in-game economy. I find that idea deplorable and down right evil. If youre going to have an in game economy. Make it where its not influenced by the players only. Their need to be an outside A.I. to keep certain players from having complete dominace of the economy.

• AkumaDaimyoAkumaDaimyo Member Posts: 185

Or it would be nice if you could find the player dominating the market and blow them the hell away. So if you dont have to pay monthly how will they make any money? Players are such cheapskates mostly and wont pay anything for clothes. People only seem to really pay for in game advantages most of the time in my experience. BF Heros for example used to just have cool clothes you could buy but no one bought them really. No one cared. Then all of a sudden came the uber weapons and now if you don't buy them your at a disadvantage. I don't really trust APB wont have microtransactions eventually if they hurt for money.

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Originally posted by anjealous82

Ugh! What the fuck is up with people and in-game economy. Is everyone that hard up on robbing other people for money in game. Or is that everyone feels this is the closest thing to be a rich person with a lot of cash, while others have little to none. Im cool with the level up system, but when it comes to an in-game economy. I find that idea deplorable and down right evil. If youre going to have an in game economy. Make it where its not influenced by the players only. Their need to be an outside A.I. to keep certain players from having complete dominace of the economy.

I brought up having an economy because part of the background story RTS has said that there are mafias and rich kiddies with millionaire families involved. And where there is either of those there are ties into the local city economy. You really shouldn't rant so easy when every one of the GTA IP's have economies for example. If you recall, you could buy businesses, own clubs and make money off of their profits. So don't act surprised if gamers like the alternative way of actually making money in a game other than mugging it from someone which is all that will be left in APB if there isn't another option. 

• AmaraoAmarao Member UncommonPosts: 650

Everyone seems to be forgetting that this game will be heavy in advertising. Billboards are going to be covered in advertisements and we all know the social area will have it. That's the main way they're going to bring in cash, I mean, even Shadowbane managed to keep itself running with minimal advertising for a year or two.

• VormirVormir Member UncommonPosts: 135

Originally posted by Amarao

Everyone seems to be forgetting that this game will be heavy in advertising. Billboards are going to be covered in advertisements and we all know the social area will have it. That's the main way they're going to bring in cash, I mean, even Shadowbane managed to keep itself running with minimal advertising for a year or two.

Are you assuming this or do you have any links to info that backs this up?

• PyscoJuggaloPyscoJuggalo Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

More hype, very little substance , and shills posting "APB is going to be the best ever, golly gee whiz!"

This game is more instanced crapola with Arena type PVP.  All I wanted was an GTA MMORPG and the friggin creator of GTA gives us this crap instead.

--When you resubscribe to SWG, an 18 yearold Stripper finds Jesus, gives up stripping, and moves with a rolex reverend to Hawaii.
    --In MMORPG's l007 is the opiate of the masses.
    --The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence!
    --CCP could cut off an Eve player's fun bits, and that player would say that it was good CCP did that.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Originally posted by disownation

Quoted directly from APB's FAQ:

11. How much will APB cost?

The game will be available as a full-price PC title. We'll offer you flexibility on ongoing costs to guarantee great value - APB won't require a subscription commitment, nor will it rely on traditional micro-transaction offerings.

Right, it wont "require" a subscription. That doesn't mean a subscription option will not be available.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• sn0wblind00sn0wblind00 Member UncommonPosts: 388

The game is setup a lot like guildwars, so it would be a shame to have to pay for it on a monthly basis.

• SuniojSunioj Member Posts: 261

This seems to have strong elements from Crimecraft from what I am reading.  I'm not particular impressed with this title so far.  Will need to wait till it's actually out to pass judgement.

Momo sucks, I have proof.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396

Don't know if this game is going to be my cuppa tea, but it sure seems to be trying some different things.  Certainly worth watching, and probably worth playing -- at least for a bit.  

I suspect that they are going to try and set up a player economy including some sort of bought points, that can be used to buy cool designs n stuff created by players.  Maybe with APB taking a cut.  Would fit the genre.  Will be interesting to see how well the social district thaing plays out.  But if you get tired of it, you can go out and do some crimes, or take out some perps, depending on your inclinations.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• ZnarfZnarf Member UncommonPosts: 82

Originally posted by sn0wblind00

The game is setup a lot like guildwars, so it would be a shame to have to pay for it on a monthly basis.

it all boils down to a frenzied pvp where the bigger gun always has the upper hamd...:(

who cares of you tattoos, your clothes or your music if any punk with big gun can shoot you dead before you even know of him?:(

there is nothing apart from pvp, and that is not enough, not for me anyway

this what I learned from a friend in beta

p.s.:

I am a good friend of myself!:)

• WardropWardrop Member Posts: 462

4v4.. 20v20  max 100 are you kidding me... There is nothing  NOTHING mmo about these numbers. We get these in everyday normal off the shelf boxed games, we call it multiplayer... an add on to our singleplayer games. Thousands of players online on a server Has always been the bar for  the use of the term mmog. I love how these developers over these last few years have busted ass trying to fade that line And how the gaming news sites salute below the belt and report on it as the next best thing since carryout.

You get in game with these titles and its a 3d lobby where you use to look for a server to join and the same gameplay youd find in any bargin bin at your local gamestop.

Sellouts!

So again another game guilds cant play together with each other cause the game cant handle anything substatial when dealing with numbers.

Why cause its a singleplayer game  with mutiplayer capabilities turned into a mmog to charge monthly or cash shop or both.

Example of this in action.. Hellgate london, crimecraft, global agenda, sto... etc

Lol a mod for GTA: SA had more players in multiplayer ( multi theft auto) Then they are offering in this title.

Im seriously disappointed.