Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FFXI's default controls make me want to eat a baby Chocobo...

Cpt_PicardCpt_Picard Member Posts: 300

I downloaded the free trial for ffxi last night, then patched it this morning. After going through a rather painful launcher, I managed to get the game started and enjoyed a rather cool cinematic. I then made a character, listened to so dudes and then attempted to run with wasd... To my dismay the chat window started to fill up. I quickly figured out that the game was controlled with the number pad, which is extremely painful to use when combined with the mouse.

Anyways, I tabbed out and found that the game closes every time you exit full screen mode... My googling attemtps  for clear instructions to change the controls were rather unsuccessful so I decided to post here.

Is there a simple way to change the ingame controls to something more modern? And is there a way to tab out without crashing the game?

Make it so...

Comments

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

I think to open menu you need to press , or ; then go config > misc 2 and then make keyboard to compact then you can walk with wasd.

And no I too crashed when I tabbed while playing ffxi and ti was frustrative but couldn't find a fix unfortunatly.

• darianledarianle Member UncommonPosts: 47

can't change the control setup. 

Just keep at it, after awhile the contols will feel natural.  ONLY use the mouse when your in menu interface, the rest of the game can and should ONLY be played using the keyboards

One fo the best game out there.

Alt-Tab will crash the game.

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

If you go into the game's directory under 'programs' you should find an .exe that allows you to modify settings, one of those allows you to run the game windowed.

As for the controls, the game is very weird, I know. You can change the key settings only between a few defualt setups in the settings menu in-game. I'd suggest switching to compact keyboard. It allows the closest thing to modern MMO controls although the mouse is still next to useless (you'll have to turn the camera and navigate menus using the arrow keys). It's weird at first but you get used to it and I actually grew to love the control setup quite a lot.

Most of these problems are the result of the game being ported from PS2 to PC (they never intended to make a PC version originally). There's also a program called Windower that you can use to optimise FFXI for a PC a lot better. I never used it myself but it allows you to do a LOT more with the game than the default options permit (graphical enhancements as well).

Since XIV is being made primarily for the PC I'm expecting we won't see a return of XI's quirky (and often horribly clunky) setup..

• Cpt_PicardCpt_Picard Member Posts: 300

I have an x box controller that I can hook up to my computer; would it be more efficient to use that? Will it still require swapping to my mouse for inventory?

Make it so...

• ElirionElirion Member Posts: 160

The best way to play FFXI, IMO, is to use a Logitech controlller.  Use the keyboard only when you want to type to someone.  Everything else can be done with macros and a controller.  Very relaxing and cuts down on wrist strain for me.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

You can play fine with a keyboard and mouse and less tedious if you have to chat just change the keyboard to compact from the config and while your there if you want there's the camers settings if I'm not wrong to lessen the need to turn the camera with the arrow keys.

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

Hehe just disregard the mouse entirely. The game was designed to be entirely operated using the PS2's d-pad so if you want to use the xbox controller you'll probably find it much easier... though I have no idea how to use a controller for XI. I never tried.

• MartinmasMartinmas Member UncommonPosts: 239

Originally posted by Cpt_Picard

I have an x box controller that I can hook up to my computer; would it be more efficient to use that? Will it still require swapping to my mouse for inventory?

If you use a controller there will be no need for the mouse. If the setup for PC is the same as on the 360 you will just hit X and then pick inventory and use the directional pad to navigate.

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

Yeah the compact controls are so much better.  There is an offical windower but I heard it sucks compared to this one. http://windower.net/ . Its nice because it also does registry tweaks to make the game look  better.  These are the settings I use

Photobucket

It works nicely for the most part, I found out you have to have something open like a web brower before you start the game or it will still crash when trying to tab out. I've also experienced random crashes when logging out, but nothing horrible that makes the program not worth using.

When you get logged in you can turn the view distance up by pressing alt + F10, and there is this dumb lighting thing that I don't like I turn it off using F11.

Now this program could get you banned since SE  does not like people using 3rd party programs. But tons of people use it., lol actually people prefer this one over the Officall one. Just don't make it known you use it and you'll be fine.

I ended up using this one cuz I couldn't find out how to use the offical. I think its in the settings somewhere but, I figured I might as well kill 2 birds with one stone using this program.

• ElirionElirion Member Posts: 160

You can use an x-box controller but some of the buttons don't work properly (can't remember which ones, it's been a few years since I tried).  I tried the x-box controller but eventually bought a Logitech and found the Logitech to work just like the x-box 360 controller when playing on the 360 console.  You don't have to change anything with the standard setup.

• lynxielynxie Member Posts: 103

I downloaded the free trial for ffxi last night, then patched it this morning. After going through a rather painful launcher, I managed to get the game started and enjoyed a rather cool cinematic. I then made a character, listened to so dudes and then attempted to run with wasd... To my dismay the chat window started to fill up. I quickly figured out that the game was controlled with the number pad, which is extremely painful to use when combined with the mouse.

Anyways, I tabbed out and found that the game closes every time you exit full screen mode... My googling attemtps  for clear instructions to change the controls were rather unsuccessful so I decided to post here.

Is there a simple way to change the ingame controls to something more modern? And is there a way to tab out without crashing the game?

It took me a few hours to get used to the weird controls, but I loved it after I got used to it.

It is way better then WASD, with the tumb you can control the camera with the rest of the right hand fingers you can control movement, and some other keys like the menu.

With the left hand you do the macro's. ALT+1-0 and CTRL+1-0

I tried to play it with a controller, but I didn't like it, on the keyboard I had more control. But it does take time to learn, but when you do, then you begin to notice how great it works.

Now I am dissapointed when other games don't use the same settings. (except FPS, that I prefer to play with the mouse)